7 Things Man Of Steel 2 Will Need To Get Right!

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Edited By Blackreverend

What should be next for Superman? Now that Man Of Steel is a success at the box office and Snyder has made it clear the next project would be a sequel... What would MOS 2 need to up the ante?

HERE ARE 7 THINGS MAN OF STEEL 2 NEEDS TO GET RIGHT IN ORDER TO BE BETTER THAN THE FIRST...

1. The Clark Kent Story

– First and foremost now that we’ve had the Superman story we’ve always wanted, give us a Clark Kent story that is hopefully better if not on par with Man of Steel. A lot of critics complained that this movie was not human enough. It didn’t deliver on the emotional as much as on the physical. I agree to a certain degree. There were many touching moments for me however the supporting cast was mostly there to keep the plot moving forward or to remind us of 911. Although the movie is over two hours long, half of that are action scenes. I would have loved to see more of Kevin Costner in the role of Pa Kent. I would have loved for Clark’s relationships with the other characters to feel more believable and genuine. I loved MOS despite all this and hope that the sequel will improve on some points I and others have pointed out. I hope that it will show us a farm boy attempting to adapt to a new more chaotic environment and job.

No Caption Provided

2. His Secret Identity Problem

– This one is extremely important. Goyer has admitted how this will be a challenge for him moving forward and that in my opinion is an understatement. MOS is not a perfect movie and I’m sure many will agree that this is a reason why. Too many people know Superman’s identity. Most of his middle school classmates know it and Lois knows it. The government should already know that the Kents are people of interest. They are the only family on earth that was personally visited by General Zod and his fellow Kryptonians. Snyder needs to show us a believable explanation for why no one has been able or will be able to recognize him. Whether it’s using Kryptonian technology or simply glasses lol this will have to be properly explored in the MOS sequel.

No Caption Provided

3. His Romantic Relationships

– One thing that Smallville did really well that I long to see on film is to show us what dating Clark Kent would really be like. Personally I do not want Clark and Lois’ relationship to go anywhere past that kiss and here’s why! Goyer and Snyder should play up the sexual tension between the two and begin to lay down the foundation for a strong friendship that most successful marriages are built on. I would much prefer see Clark close and intimate with Lana Lang. The Dark Knight Rises is a perfect example of what I would prefer to see Clark deal with in this sequel. In TDKR Bruce Wayne meets in many way his soul mate Selina Kyle but he ends up opening up to Talia. The later [reference to Talia] ends up betraying him and being a worst match for him than he could have ever imagined! I want to see Clark assume it better to open up to someone who has known him longer only to realize that he might not belong with a fellow small town girl.

No Caption Provided

4. His Fortress of Solitude

– For most of the movie I assumed the Genesis ship (aka the ship that Clark finds in Canada) would be Superman’s fortress of solitude. The idea of his fortress actually being a ancient Kryptonian ship was awesome and very appropriate! Had that been the case he would have had technology at his disposal that is beyond human understanding or capabilities. Well thankfully Zod left his smaller scouting ship behind when he stole the Genesis so Clark could always use that. Why is it important that he has alien tech in his fortress? How else then will he figure out what kryptonite is? Yes humans could figure it out but Superman has never relied on mankind for information in regards to alien stuff. That’s part of what makes him Superman. It’s that he’s not just a powerhouse… he’s a genius in his own right!

No Caption Provided

5. Real Reporting

– If this is to be a Clark Kent story, then this sequel needs to be a Thriller. Man of Steel already hinted at the idea of mankind not being trust worthy. I think this would be the perfect vehicle to further explore that notion. I want to see Clark develop his investigative skills as a reporter. Let him make newbie mistakes and butt heads with Lois and Perry. Goyer and Snyder need to do the opposite of what they have done in MOS and fill the movie with suspense and mystery! In MOS from the get go we know who Zod is, that he’s bad and that he’ll be hunting down Clark the moment he’s freed. The creators cannot do that in this movie! If it is about Clark Kent and reporting then it cannot be predictable!

No Caption Provided

6. President Luthor

– Like many of you I am dying to see Alexander Luthor in the sequel but not as a villain but as a friend. Goyer has already put it out there that in this world the head of Lexcorp is more of a Bill Gates figure. What if Clark has trouble making friends in Metropolis? What if he ends up becoming good friends with mr. Luthor after a couple interviews or writing a story on him? I would like to see Lex and Clark develop a bond like in All-Star Superman. Maybe Clark could be the one to encourage him to run for president. Seeing how Clark has a gift for seeing the good in others it’s not a far stretch… To me that was another thing I loved about Smallville, having Clark and Lex have been best friends gave their relationship more depth and emotional punch especially when it later takes a drastic turn for the worst. We desperately need to see that happen on the big screen!

No Caption Provided

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite is and has always been Lex Luthor’s best weapon against the MOS. If he is in it then there also must be Kryptonite. That being said we don’t want another Superman Returns! Considering how powerful MOS has made Superman I think he can handle some metahumans on top of having to deal with his first known weakness. That way he is actually upping the stakes and pushing himself to become even more powerful in this movie than we have just seen him in his origin story. I don’t want the kryptonite to be in Smallville. That small town has seen enough destruction… I want Snyder to take us elsewhere. He has already expressed his desire to make Superman go global in the next MOS so make it happen. A friend of mine came up with the amazing idea that "when Zod and his World Engine machines were beginning to terra form Earth into Krypton, in turn they were making and forming the natural resources Krypton would have possessed, including kryptonite. So as the terra forming was changing the landscape of Earth, it created kryptonite crystals/minerals in Earth's landscape." Highly doubt Goyer and Snyder are paying attention to any of this but a fanboy can dream they get this kryptonite thing right...

No Caption Provided

Plot Suggestions

- Lex Luthor hires Star-LabsDoctor Abernathy to secretly create Kryptonite powered soldiers aka the Anti-Superman Army. When the experiments on former soldier John Corben go wrong 3 innocent employees / bystanders get experience mutations and develop dreadfully painful and toxic abilities! Albert Michaels becomes Atomic Skull, Clay Ramsay becomes Kryptonite Man, Rudy Jones becomes Parasite and John Corben becomes Metallo. Together they go on a revenge spree against their creator and Lexcorp.

Clark is tasked to cover this story and after interviewing Lex, Clark believes him to be the victim. So he publishes a story that shows how Lex Luthor isn't just a victim of defamation (aka corporate slander) but also a leader that has helped rebuild Metropolis and in turn the perfect presidential candidate! Clark and Lex start spending more time together and develop a great friendship but Lois isn't convinced of Lex Luthor’s innocence. Clark and Lois butt heads over the matter which leads Clark to confront Lex and have him reveal that the two were once a couple but things between them ended on a bad note. This revelation drives a wedge between Lois and Clark who decides to find comfort in the arms of Lana Lang.

Superman attempts to address Lex’s problem and takes on the kryptonite powered team of villains who have been attacking various Lexcorp facilities across the world. The fight ends with Superman being presumed dead, Lois retrieving his body and having it returned to Smallville. After a long recovery Clark decides to take a closer look into the matter as a reporter. Knowing that he's still not at 100% but that he won't listen to her, Lois attempts to recruit Lana to help talk him out of it. But Lois tracks down Lana Lang only to find out that she's been cheating on Clark the whole time they've been together. She returns home with the bad news but Clark is already gone.

He uses his creativity to take each member of the Anti-Superman Army out one by one until none are left. When he discovers the truth that Lex Luthor is the mastermind responsible behind the metahumans he has just defeated, Clark is forced to confront and eventually betray his best friend. Luthor who was running for president is arrested and taken out of the race. The movie ends with Superman tracking down where Lexcorp has been hiding the remaining Kryptonite and finding with it another Kryptonian ship.

No Caption Provided

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY LIST AND PLOT? SOUND OFF BELOW...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

NO KRYPTONITE

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: they are going to have to introduce it eventually. Its a huge part of the superman mythos.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@blackreverend: @eternal19:

Agreed. You can't have Superman without kyptonite.

Love your Ideas, by the way. They would be perfect for the sequel!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deaditegonzo

@z3ro180 said:

NO KRYPTONITE

Agreed. Its completely unnecessary, and almost always an annoying plot crutch

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unnecessary?? Its the dudes only weakness.....you have to give the character boundaries otherwise nothing threatens him.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo said:

Unnecessary?? Its the dudes only weakness.....you have to give the character boundaries otherwise nothing threatens him.

He looked pretty damn threatened at the end of Man of Steel. I much preferred that to the stupid "normal dude with a rock" vs Superman climax we saw in Superman the Movie and Returns.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

He looked pretty damn threatened at the end of Man of Steel. I much preferred that to the stupid "normal dude with a rock" vs Superman climax we saw in Superman the Movie and Returns.

Not really......he wasn't even really remotely harmed by anything Zod did to him. Normal dude with a rock is a major part of the Superman mythology, Lex Luthor coming up with ways to use it, and so forth.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SandMan_
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Um. Kryptonite is necessary. It's just as big in Superman as his S on his chest is.

MOS 2 needs Clark becoming a more matured hero and becoming more like his 'boy scout' ways, regretting and changing how he handled things with Zod.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SandMan_
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo said:

Not really......he wasn't even really remotely harmed by anything Zod did to him. Normal dude with a rock is a major part of the Superman mythology, Lex Luthor coming up with ways to use it, and so forth.

That hasnt been a major aspect in his stories in a while. Kryptonite is generally only thrown into modern stories to show Superman overcoming his weakness. If youve read any of his new 52 issues, youll be aware of him beating super powerful villains while exposed to knite (Superdoom being a really notable example in Action Comics).

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um. Kryptonite is necessary. It's just as big in Superman as his S on his chest is.

MOS 2 needs Clark becoming a more matured hero and becoming more like his 'boy scout' ways, regretting and changing how he handled things with Zod.

I'm pretty sure that's where this is heading. And unfortunately, Lex has to be in this movie.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just use Kryptonite for one movie (for Metallo and/or Lex), then don't use it again. If they do Brainiac, Mongul, or Doomsday for a third movie, Kryptonite wouldn't be needed and that definitely goes as well for a Justice League movie.

It's the elephant in the room of his mythos, just address it then move on and be done with it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Agree with most, not really on the plot.

Oh and this.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That hasnt been a major aspect in his stories in a while. Kryptonite is generally only thrown into modern stories to show Superman overcoming his weakness. If youve read any of his new 52 issues, youll be aware of him beating super powerful villains while exposed to knite (Superdoom being a really notable example in Action Comics).

Oh...by all means then, the New 52, which is like 2 years old has total relevance over the 75 years of Supermans existence where Kryptonite is a major factor. Superman being weakened by kryptonite and how weak he becomes genrally has to do with who is writing the story, and what needs to happen in it. Since I am assuming Lex will be in the sequel and the rivalry will be more cerebral I think kryptonite is a necessary plot device.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By comicace3

I'd kinda like if supes doesn't kill.... in the next movie

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo said:

Oh...by all means then, the New 52, which is like 2 years old has total relevance over the 75 years of Supermans existence where Kryptonite is a major factor. Superman being weakened by kryptonite and how weak he becomes genrally has to do with who is writing the story, and what needs to happen in it. Since I am assuming Lex will be in the sequel and the rivalry will be more cerebral I think kryptonite is a necessary plot device.

Kryptonite was only useful in the Silver Age, when no matter how strong somebody was they couldnt hurt Superman. I dont want to see a rehash of Returns or Superman the Movie, because that, to me, is how you kill the franchise. Give Superman villains that can actually match him. If you want a battle of the minds between Lex and Supes, cool, fine, take a note from Red Son, and have Lex unleash the rogues on Superman, and then challenge Superman's deeply held beliefs, while not directly engaging him.

Anyway, since COIE (which is now going on 3 decades), Knite weakness is generally something Superman can overcome. It was rare outside of the animated series to see Superman collapse in its presence.

tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perpetr8rMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Clark Kent aspect came off more as his Alias rather then who he is, a disguise to throw on when needed. A name to hide under.

No Kryptonite is idiotic. Re-watch the last scene with Zod, he doesn't have a scratch on him after the intense battle he goes through. His suit is not torn, he has no blood or bruising on his face. The most blood we see if his spitting it up in a small scene that had nothing to do with a fight.

I hope the next one is at least a good movie,. because this was not very good.

Pa Kent does not want Clark letting people die so he can hide Clark
He does not let himself die to sacrifice himself for Clark (He is not BEN PARKER)
Clark does not kill (Especially in that scene when there are endless ways around it.)

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By ImmortalOne

Whether it’s using Kryptonian technology or simply glasses lol this will have to be properly explored in the MOS sequel.

Maybe his glasses are Kryptonian technology... he got it from the ship and it disguises his face in the mind of others.

ferventking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please, just please, no Supergirl/Braniac. IMO, part of the point of Zod's death, the failure of his plan to create a new Krypton, as well of depictions of Krypton society was to show that it was a flawed society built on many mistakes, and that Superman is someone who can ultimately be free of that legacy. MoS was him freeing himself from Krypton, now it would be interesting to see what he does with his clean slate. I want Lex Luthor stirring up all the terrified citizens into a mob against Superman, I want a Bruce Wayne cameo now that we had the Wayne Enterprises logo. The ending scene of MoS highlights that society's need to control Superman conflicts with Superman's status as an outsider. They should expand on that more, by having the government and general public growing more and more scared of and wanting to place restrictions on Superman.