• 147 results
Posted by inferiorego (28292 posts) - - Show Bio

Since the start of the New 52, fans have been clamoring to see their favorite characters in an on-going series, and while we're slowly getting there, some folks don't think it's fast enough. While there's still characters missing in the New 52 we all want to see, there's still a ton of background players that deserve a little bit of spotlight.

If there's one thing the New 52 has done with the reboot, it's that they took chances on new series. Some books didn't last, but there are many that proved to be fantastic series: JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, RED LANTERNS, and SWAMP THING to name a few. Even more so, there were series that ended that also really gave DC fans a look into some of their B-List characters, like Jeff Lemire's ANIMAL MAN.

However, there's still characters that deserve some spotlight, so we decided to take a look at characters that currently exist in the New 52 that deserve their own on-going series. These characters on this list are all character that did not have a previous on-going series in the New 52 though.

7. Booster Gold

The last volume of BOOSTER GOLD, written by Geoff Johns originally, was a blast. However, we haven't gotten to see the time travelling, fan favorite character on his own yet. Booster Gold is an incredibly fun character and while he was on JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL and more recently in ALL STAR WESTERN, he hasn't had his own book to shine in. What happened to Booster when Jonah was transported to the present? Now, with Ted Kord introduced into the new 52, could it be time for the return of Blue & Gold? Heck, we'd even love to see Jaime Reyes team up with him as well. A time-travelling hero has so much potential for a fantastic on-going. Yes, he has a one-shot coming out in September, and there are rumors of an on-going afterwards, but as of right now, nothing is confirmed, and fans want to see Booster back in action!

6. Captain Cold

Recently, Sinestro got his own on-going series, which is awesome for that character. There are other characters, even villains, that deserve their own on-going though. The Rogues are an extremely strong and interesting team of characters, and Captain Cold has really become a stand-out in the FLASH series as well as FOREVER EVIL: ROGUES REBELLION. Cold is an incredibly interesting character because he's a villain with set rules. He's willing to save lives of those wronged, and he doesn't kill. He's gone through a tremendous amount of changes in the past couple of years and his relationship with the Rogues and his sister, Golden Glider can add a whole new layer to this group.

5. Zatanna

DC has been pretty good about giving the female stars of the DCU their own series, but there's one stand-out character who we think truly deserves her own series, even more so now because of the events of FOREVER EVIL: BLIGHT. Zatanna is now the leader of Justice League Dark, and while seeing her as a leader is going to be pretty awesome as she puts the team back together in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK, there's still a lot of mystery with this character. It would be interesting to see a series that focuses on the present and the past to see a bit more about this character. She's easily a character that can hold her own, and with the right creative team, DC could really flesh her out to be an A-List player. Plus, I'm probably not the only person who really enjoys when she talks backwards to cast spells.

4. The Question

The Trinity of Sin... Pandora has her own on-going series. The Phantom Stranger has his own on-going series. Where's the love for The Question? Preferably, I'd like to see Renee Montoya return as this character, but there's still a lot to learn about this new Question, who most are assuming is Vic Sage. It's probably the second biggest "no-brainer" on this list, since, as mentioned, he's the only member of the Trinity of Sin to not have a book. There's quite a "beef" between he and the Phantom Stranger, and because you can never count one of these characters out as dead, it'll be easy to give him his own series, especially since there's quite a bit of drama with this character.

3. Simon Baz

Simon Baz is going to be a tough sell because the Green Lantern universe already has so many books: GREEN LANTERN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS, GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS, RED LANTERNS, LARFLEEZE, and SINESTRO. Originally, Simon Baz was introduced as an Arab-American character, the only at DC during the time, and he actually took over the main GREEN LANTERN book for a while. He was extremely interesting and compelling, but then he joined Justice League of America, and the character was put on the back-burner. Baz was really hyped up by DC but quickly forgotten about. He's appeared in more recent GREEN LANTERN issues, but this is a brand new character that really needs to be explored more and one of the few new New 52 characters that has the potential to hold reader's attention.

2. Lois Lane

Not every DC character that gets their own on-going has to be a super-hero. Creators can still tell compelling stories about well-known characters without said characters punching through walls. Lois Lane is one of these characters; however, maybe this time, she can step out of the shadows and not have a title like "Superman's Girlfriend" attached to the title. She's a character that can stand on her own and maybe delve into the investigative side of her. This is something Tony talked about 4 years ago on this site, and it seems a bit silly that we still haven't seen anything other than a one-shot.

Lois Lane comic could bring something different. Let's see Lois go after the big stories that other reporters are afraid to cover. There is so much corruption hidden in the bowels of the DC Universe that Lois would have no problem keeping busy.

1. Cyborg

When the New 52 was relaunched, there was a big push for Cyborg to be in the spotlight. Remember that picture of the members of the Justice League, right at the top of this article? Every character in that picture, aside from Cyborg had an on-going series. He joined the Justice League and had intricate parts in all of their stories. DC really wanted this character to be an A-list superhero, much like his peers Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, yet he doesn't get his own on-going series? Most recently, during FOREVER EVIL, he was torn in half as his cybernetic system turned out to be Grid from The Crime Syndicate. Now that he's healed up and back to normal, his struggle could make one heck of a start to an on-going series. There is no other character who deserves an on-going book more than Cyborg.

There you have it. That's the characters that come to mind that deserve their own on-going at DC. What characters do you think need their own on-going series?

#1 Edited by Wolverine08 (45616 posts) - - Show Bio

I soooooooo want Question(Vic Sage) to get an ongoing. A man can dream.

#2 Posted by Wardishy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

Me too. I've been trying to get a hold of Denny O'Neil's run but it's out of print and hasn't been made available digitally yet.

#3 Posted by LiveForever (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake!?!??!?!?!??!?!

#4 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18949 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Doubt I would read any of this.

Want Barry Allen / Hal Jordan team up. That and Black Panther are my two most wanted titles.

I'd probably hit up Shazam too.

#5 Posted by Wardishy (928 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (45616 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

@wolverine08 said:

Me too. I've been trying to get a hold of Denny O'Neil's run but it's out of print and hasn't been made available digitally yet.

Have you read the 2005 mini series by Rick Veitch? Freaking awesome.

#7 Posted by SWagner017 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a Captain Cold solo series!

#8 Posted by Wardishy (928 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

@wolverine08 said:

Not yet! Is that the one where he goes to Metropolis?

#9 Edited by Chickfighter1 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois and Zatanna are possibilities but I'd really like to see Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown in a Kickass Cass and Waffle Chef Steph series about friends who kick butt together and have each others' backs. Something uplifting with heart, hope and humor would be a nice change of pace for this universe.

#10 Posted by pikachumonster (3100 posts) - - Show Bio

I could dig it. All of these

#11 Edited by pixelized (62883 posts) - - Show Bio

I would live for a better Zatanna ongoing, but Lois (ain'tnobodyinmy)Lane.... I can't. I have ambien for that.

#12 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1509 posts) - - Show Bio

SHAZAM!!!! Really wanna see a series with Billy and his family, what Geoff Johns set up would make for an incredible series if handled right.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (45616 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

@wolverine08 said:

@wardishy said:

@wolverine08 said:

Not yet! Is that the one where he goes to Metropolis?

Yup! He even met Superman. The series had a cool modern reimagination of his origin. I highly recommend it.

#14 Posted by inferiorego (28292 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake!?!??!?!?!??!?!

Lois and Zatanna are possibilities but I'd really like to see Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown in a Kickass Cass and Waffle Chef Steph series about friends who kick butt together and have each others' backs. Something uplifting with heart, hope and humor would be a nice change of pace for this universe.

I almost went with Huntress here, but the problem is that DC has way too many Batbooks, so I tried to stay away from those characters.

#15 Posted by LiveForever (312 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: That's fair I suppose. This is coming from a 90% Marvel guy who only reads Batman, Batman Eternal, and the occasional DC Annual. But I'd gobble up a Tim Drake book in an instant.

#16 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35054 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by inferiorego (28292 posts) - - Show Bio

I would live for a better Zatanna ongoing, but Lois (ain'tnobodyinmy)Lane.... I can't. I have ambien for that.

I put Z in just for you.

@inferiorego: That's fair I suppose. This is coming from a 90% Marvel guy who only reads Batman, Batman Eternal, and the occasional DC Annual. But I'd gobble up a Tim Drake book in an instant.

I'd totally read it as well, but I felt there are tons of non-Bat characters who deserved to be on the list more.

Also, here's my Fanboy list of on-goings I'd want to see.

5. Orion

4. Xombi

3. Mister Miracle/Big Barda

2. Kid Eternity

1. Haunted Tank

#18 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman!!

No, wait...

#19 Edited by Nahuel (391 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list, the only one that would work solo (for a long period of time) is Cyborg.

All of the others should have miniseries, like DC canceling 2 or 3 books and those spaces fill with miniseries of the other characters mentioned, because, even when I'd buy the hell out of most of the characters' series, none would survive past issue 12... Wich is sad.

#20 Posted by daredevil21134 (12665 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Zatanna and Question. Jason Todd needs to get rid of the Outlaws and go solo

#21 Edited by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Baz was only created so that DC could kill off John. When they couldn't do that, they had no plans for Baz. There are too many Green Lanterns. Ship Baz off to the Blue Lanterns. He can be in Kyle's book.

No one is actually interested in Lois Lane having her own title. The big two are about superheroes and villains. She is neither.

I'm not interested in NuCyborg at all anymore, but I could change my mind if he shared a book with Nightwing, Beastboy, Raven, and Starfire.

Captain Cold could be pretty awesome as long as he's written as morally on both sides, not an anti-hero. Think Bronn on Game of Thrones.

The others are good choices. I'd like to see the Question and Huntress team up again.

#22 Posted by IanPrime (27 posts) - - Show Bio

RAY PALMER

#23 Posted by larfleeze1301 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam & Maritian Manhunter!

#24 Posted by SparkyHam (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I've recently gotten back into Comic Books (and this is my first ComicVine comment), and I've picked up a few Villain titles. To be honest, all these books have done is take away some of the awe/wonder/mysteriousness/intrigue that makes these villains so engaging in the first place!

I really don't think ongoing series do the villains any favours. One-Offs are fine IMO. So, no to Captain Cold, Lex-Luther, Catwoman, Sinstro, etc.

#25 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

5. Orion

4. Xombi

2. Kid Eternity

1. Haunted Tank

Agreed. Except instead of the Haunted Tank I'd rather see Steel get some serious shine. He's one of the most loyal and trusted heroes in the DCU, and is criminally underused. His best adventures came at the hands of Grant Morrison during the original JLA series and during the Doug Mahnke run on Superman: Man of Steel. I've been a Titans fan for years and as such I have a healthy appreciation for Cyborg. But if I had to choose between them, I'd take Dr. Irons EVERY TIME.

No disrespect.

#26 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35054 posts) - - Show Bio

Baz was only created so that DC could kill off John. When they couldn't do that, they had no plans for Baz. There are too many Green Lanterns. Ship Baz off to the Blue Lanterns. He can be in Kyle's book.

No one is actually interested in Lois Lane having her own title. The big two are about superheroes and villains. She is neither.

I'm not interested in NuCyborg at all anymore, but I could change my mind if he shared a book with Nightwing, Beastboy, Raven, and Starfire.

Captain Cold could be pretty awesome as long as he's written as morally on both sides, not an anti-hero. Think Bronn on Game of Thrones.

The others are good choices. I'd like to see the Question and Huntress team up again.

Massively disagree with this.

#27 Posted by inferiorego (28292 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

5. Orion

4. Xombi

2. Kid Eternity

1. Haunted Tank

Agreed. Except instead of the Haunted Tank I'd rather see Steel get some serious shine. He's one of the most loyal and trusted heroes in the DCU, and is criminally underused. His best adventures came at the hands of Grant Morrison during the original JLA series and during the Doug Mahnke run on Superman: Man of Steel. I've been a Titans fan for years and as such I have a healthy appreciation for Cyborg. But if I had to choose between them, I'd take Dr. Irons EVERY TIME.

No disrespect.

Steel came very close to making the list. I agree that he's criminally underused as well.

#28 Posted by BR_Havoc (1339 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg would not last all that long as a solo but I think a team book that combines him with the Metal Men could be a good series, I feel like he has finally kind of found a place in the new 52 with the two issues that saw him fight along side with the mental men.

As for the rest of the list, Lois Lane in the new 52 has been a glorified background character and a solo book for her would cause nothing but problems for the people at the top because they are still upset with people wanting to see Lois and Clark together again.

Simon Baz was handled so poorly from the get go that he will never be a popular character. I think if DC did not just create him for press releases and put some thought into him not pulling the overdone and horrible cliche suspected terrorist storyline in his second issue, he could of been a hit, but like Alan Scott Baz was a dealt a bad hand because the company chose to define them not by the actions they make but on their sexuality and religion.

#29 Edited by Squalleon (4900 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. New Gods
  2. Cyborg and the Metal Men
  3. Stories from the Daily Planet
  4. Doom Patrol
  5. The Question

These are what I want from DC :-)

#30 Posted by gregroyj42 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Jason Todd needs to get rid of starfire, arsenal can stay.

#31 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4101 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyborg would be awesome

#32 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego:

Steel came very close to making the list. I agree that he's criminally underused as well.

Glad to know that I have the same point of view as our esteemed staff members. That sir, has earned you a "Follow"!;)

@squalleon:

Cyborg and the Metal Men

Will Magnus. Another super-genius who needs a lot more "air-time" (and a new suit). Good call, @squalleon!

#33 Edited by daredevil21134 (12665 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Jason Todd needs to get rid of starfire, arsenal can stay.

Ok I accept that. But I rather see him work with Deadshot and Arsenal go back to working with Nightwing but I don't mind Roy. I just hate the space stories with Starfire

#34 Edited by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

My List of Teams That Need Their Own On-Going Series:

5. Hawkman and Hawkgirl

4. Wonder Woman and The Furies, starring Wonder Woman, Vixen, Fire, and Ice

3. Titans, starring Nightwing, Raven, Cyborg, Starfire, and Beastboy

2. Ultimen, starring Wind Dragon, Black Lightning/Static, Apache Chief, Starman, and the Wonder Twins (or Fire and Ice instead of the Wonder Twins)

1. The Brave and The Bold, starring John Stewart and Barry Allen

#35 Posted by Vitalius (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six

Cyborg and Metal Man

Shazam

Zatanna

Question

Black Canary

New Wonder Woman´s solo book (One that she actually can deal with old rogue gallery and new ones and doesnt spent all time dealing with Greek Gods)

#36 Posted by johnny_blaze (1045 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see a Captain Cold ongoing. Have him as a mercenary type character.

Vixen, Doom Patrol & Cyborg are must haves.

#37 Posted by SupBatz (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

Montoya Question series would be great!

#38 Edited by Captain13 (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: A Lois Lane book wouldn't last 10 issues. She's one of my favorite love interests in comics, but characters without codenames or mythological names and superhero/villain mission statements don't usually sell well. The only one I can think of is Constatine, and his title isn't in the top 50. I wouldn't mind seeing her and Steve Trevor team up to play bigger roles in crossovers though.

@ianprime said:

RAY PALMER

Ryan Choi is cooler.

#39 Edited by bob808 (6785 posts) - - Show Bio

The Question

Shazam

The Spectre

Doctor Fate

Alan Scott

#40 Edited by thunder2677 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc:

Cyborg leading the Metal Men is intriguing. A+

#41 Edited by Lena_Dante (2515 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35054 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: Just because non-superhero book don't sell well doesn't mean they shouldn't try. Gotham Central was one of the best Bat books ever and it had nothing to do with Batman.

#43 Posted by LCazT1996 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Booster Gold! Yes yes yes!

I think Cyborg, Shazam, Question, Captain Cold, and Martian Manhunter make sense given their current standings in the New 52.

Ray Palmer would be cool, depending on how well Batman/Superman no.10 sells it could be possible really. Or maybe he could join the JLU since Lemire wrote B/S 10.

Personally, my list would be:

1. Booster Gold

2. Shazam!

3. Martian Manhunter

4. Cyborg

5. The Atom/Ray Palmer (with Ryan Choi joining the series as well)

6. Trinity of Sin: The Question

7. Red Robin

8. GL Baz (or he should join JL or JLU)

I'd buy most, if not all, of those.

#44 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd looooooooove a Booch/Zircher Captain Cold or Rogues book.

#45 Posted by The Stegman (26011 posts) - - Show Bio

My list:

1. The Rogues

2. The Outsiders (Metamorpho, Katana, Blue Devil, Black Lightning, Terra, etc)

3. Cyborg and the Metal Men

4. Trinity of Sin: The Question

5. Green Lantern Infinity (featuring Simon Baz, have him in deep space, in another sector, we don't need him in 2814)

6. Shazam

7. Doom Patrol

8. Books of Magic (featuring Zatanna and Timothy Hunter, special appearances from other JLD members from time to time)

#46 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (527 posts) - - Show Bio

When was ted kord reintroduced? I thought booster was lost in time or something after diana and clark started making out!

#47 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2103 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think any of these characters are popular enough to hold an on-going. They'd all get cancelled before issue #20. While some of these would be cool for some fans (provided they are well done) They'd be bad investments for DC.

#48 Posted by AmazingWebHead (4390 posts) - - Show Bio

All excellent choices.

#49 Edited by BrotherEye (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of surprised Shazam didn't make the list... its rumored he will get a book but nothing has come of it and I fear the hype for him might have vanished by now. I know he will be in the main Justice League book but that's hardly his own title. Plus, I want to see Geoff John's handle the character but the rumored restriction on him doing only two books makes that seem unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Beyond that list, I suppose there are other characters I wouldn't mind seeing... Tim Drake and Cassandra Cain are two but that's just inflating the Bat-books even more at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing a Steel book... it would expand the Super-books even more plus John Henry Iron's I think is an interesting character to tackle. One who doesn't have superpowers and has a different way of tackling issues.

@captain13 said:

My impression is that Baz isn't meant to be a space based Lantern but a planet based one... that he is more or less meant to be having adventures against costumed thugs and criminals on Earth instead of fighting in cosmic adventures. So, he would very well inherit some of Hal's and even Kyle's old rogues... such as Tattooed Man or Goldface instead of fighting other Spectrum Warriors or alien warlords. At least, that's my impression..

#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (15443 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Captain Cold need an ongoing? what's so special about him to star in his own series,lets be reasonable here. I see no point in Baz either,he's a useless character,Lois Lane doesn't have "IT".

Agree with Cyborg,Zatanna and Question. The New Gods and Shazam too.