SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SpinnerComix
No Caption Provided

Ever since the beginning of superheroes there was man who was the trailblazer. Superman. The"Greatest Superhero of All Time", the "Man of Steel" he has been called. Supes has also been called "stupid", "OP", and many other things. While I myself don't hate good ol' Kal-El there a lot of people out there who do. So I took it upon myself to make a compilation of why people hate Superman.

1. He is "Overpowered"

While this is the case of hate for many superheroes and other fictional characters, no other name comes to mind when you here the words "OP", then The Man of Tomorrow. For those of you who don't know (then again you're on friggin' ComicVine so how can you not know who Superman is?) Superman has the abilities of *ahem*: flight, super-strength, super-speed, near invulnerability, a super brain, heat vision, micro and telescopic vision, super breath, and a crap ton of other stuff. And, if that isn't enough for you to not hear "overpowered" screaming in your ear, then let me tell you one of his feats..... He dragged around the Earth. Yep the motherfriggin" EARTH. AS IN THE GIANT ROCK IN SPACE THAT YOU LIVE ON.

2. The Freaking Video Games

Even though Superman Returns for the PS2 was decent, nothing else really was. And games like Injustice and Mortal Kombat vs DC are not in question. And just in case you haven't heard, Superman 64 is considered the WORST SUPERHERO GAME OF ALL TIME. Now remember earlier when I said people call Superman the "Greatest Superhero of All Time"? Well then that doesn't make any sense right? Well as I explained earlier if Supes is OP then how do you make a good game out him? I mean think about it, if you were the developer of a new Superman video game, how would you make a game out of him. Bullets BOUNCE off of him! And if you gave EVERY SINGLE thug in the city kryptonite bullets, then Superman should technically die after a well placed headshot. And basing the game on somewhere like Apokolips or Krypton wouldn't feel like a Superman game, but just any other Sci-Fi game ever. Speaking of kryptonite......

3. His Weakness is a GREEN FREAKING ROCK???

Now Superman fans are going to go crazy (if they haven't already) over this one. Since Superman is like I said overpowered (man you are going to here that word a lot today), you have to give him some kind of weakness, right? So why the FLIP would you make it a GREEN ROCK? I mean a weakness like magic is ok because, not every one has magic abilities so those kind of stories can be interesting. But, Lex Luthor always seems to prevent getting his face snapped in half, because of a green rock, that EVERY VILLAIN seems to have some. Which is why people consider him......

4. Boring

No Caption Provided

Another thing people will say about Superman (and one of things I personally can agree with, sometimes) is that his stories are boring. I mean when your stories become so repetitive and boring that you have to think of stories of him when he is a kid you know you have run out of ideas. While now the stories are different and he can be a much more interesting character when he wants to, the damage as already been done.

5. He is a "Boy Scout"

Say what you will about Captain America (even though he was born and is in the mentality of the 1940's), Superman definitely takes the cake (heh, see what I did there? y'know because of the picture.... aw screw it nevermind) for Boy Scout in comic books. From his beginning to his end (if he gets one) Superman will always be a boy scout. For those of you don't understand what I mean, Superman is the definition of a superhero. He is super powerful but will never use his abilities for anything other than justice. Even Batman isn't that perfect, and he has never killed a single person in his life (with the exception of Darkseid, but y'know... universe at stake and stuff). Superman is always all like "Don't worry ma'am I'm Superman, I can do anything". LEGO Batman 2: DC Superheroes didn't even try to hide that. And while, people can still debate that Man of Steel and New 52 Superman isn't like that anymore, the damage has been done. Too many scars to be healed.

Well there ya go. 5 reasons The Red Caped Hero is hated. Hope you enjoyed, this story that wasn't a battle for once! See Ya!

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

His weakness isn't a green rock. Its the radiation that comes from the rock. Guess who else radiation harms?

Humans.

keithcolby1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Radiation is a good thing too.... Not always bad.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i don't hate Supes he just doesn't have many flaws like Spider-man so its make him hard to relate to.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is too many retrospective continuities, and way too many contradictions. Take me to an expensive restauraunt if your gonna feed me bull... I like to be wined and dined.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is too many retrospective continuities, and way too many contradictions. Take me to an expensive restauraunt if your gonna feed me bull... I like to be wined and dined.

I'd like to hear what you have to say.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Only got 5?

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By legacy6364

@flameboy298: There are versions where he can juggle planets and “sneeze out a galaxy” ,and another where can can lift quintillion tons! He obsorbs energy from only a yellow sun, yet stars are not not yellow. And Kryptonite radiation weakens him? Come on! Do you know how long it takes for radiation poisoning to kick in. I'm no scientist but i can tell you it's not 3 seconds.

He is overpowered with out measure. I hate superman.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Superman, but sometimes it seems like some of his super hardcore fans try there hardest to make me not like him. Fortunately I don't let a few arrogant , snide-comment spewing fans affect my opinion on a fictional character :)

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@legacy6364: Yellow Sun (Yellow Dwarves is the correct name) is a designation for a type of star.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still doesn't make sense.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

People who say any of these have never read a Superman story.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

He is pretty overpowered but so is Martian Manhunter and then I remember it's a comic book so I don't give a ****.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 juiceboks  Moderator

..and so the ramblings of a casual comic book fan ensues. Superman is only OP to people who still think he's the most powerful member of the Justice League..

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reasons two,three and five are bad. And four is only true sometimes, with people who don't know how to write a superman story. Sadly that includes most comic writers.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Shows lack of knowledge about other heroes and is either up to taste or just general misinformation.
  2. Valid.
  3. And? GLs was the color yellow for christ's sake.
  4. Opinion. I find many other stories to be boring as well as some superman stories.
  5. Depends on what you like and how much you know about the character.
Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is awesome it's just that he sometimes has blank personality that throw people off.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6. He has a woeful villains gallery. Now, he has some really good villains, but RELATIVE to his status as the greatest superhero ever, they really need to vamp up his B-listers.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keithcolby1995: Exactly. Just like the right kind of kryptonite can be good.

Which just further proves the OP has no idea what he is talking about.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with point 1. All the others are kinda bull.

Beata

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By arthurkerr

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It takes a special kind of idiot to type the original post.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm not saying that these are MY opinions on Supes. It is just what people have said negatively about him, so don't blame me.... blame the internet.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JulieDC

1. I used to think he was overpowered....but now I believe the problem is that characters like Batman are written as Batgod where they are able to fight on the same level as guys like Superman against superpowered foes that it makes Superman redundant. So rather than question the need for a Batgod, they misplace their blame at Superman.

2. I've no opinion on the video games, never played any of them.

3. I actually have never understood the opposition to the idea of Kryptonite. Maybe its just the way some writers have approached the subject. But the concept to me makes sense.

4. I used to think Superman was boring until I looked deeper. He is one of those characters that comes off as boring on the surface and requires digging deeper to enjoy. I can understand if some people don't want to make the extra effort but those that outright call him boring just come off as ignorant to me.

5. I don't see being a boy scout as a bad thing. Its nice to have someone who can be optimistic and friendly in a world so dark and bitter. I am so tired of dark and gritty.

dodirty31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By dodirty31

@spinnercomix: All but number 2, and that his weakness seems to disappear and the 18000 different types of Kt. Mostly number 6... Reading battle threads.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.... is awesome.

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Husk

@spinnercomix:

wait wait wait, right there... stop, Im tired of this lie....SUPERMAN KILLS PEOPLE ALL THE TIME

always has

of course there's the Kryptonite Dragon in the New52 and General Zod in Man of Steel, but even beyond that.

Brainiac, dozen times, Darkseid, several times, Sun-eater, Imperiex, Doomsday, ZOD and his phantom zone cohorts (this is in 1988 in the comic book, LOOOONG before the movie) as well you could cite the hundreds of off panel "did that guy just die?" moments, especially in the 1940s when you would regularly see scenes like superman causing a massive car pileup in which the front car would be crushed into the size of the engine, yeah, that guy didn't get up front that...we may not have been verified to the death, but he most certainly died.

the no kill code for superman wasn't even adopted until that Lois and Clark show came on, and even then he still killed (doomsday) and then it was perpetuated by that awful Smallville show. so yeah.... Superman kills.

and he will continue to kill, so stop thinking these things didn't happen... they did, he isn't perfect. its just he hasn't killed anyone like Gwen Stacy ON PANEL, so we tend to forget.

Avatar image for iamrightyouknow
iamrightyouknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iamrightyouknow

superman sucks and you dont know a much about him

@juliedc said:

1. I used to think he was overpowered....but now I believe the problem is that characters like Batman are written as Batgod where they are able to fight on the same level as guys like Superman against superpowered foes that it makes Superman redundant. So rather than question the need for a Batgod, they misplace their blame at Superman.

No Caption Provided

2. I've no opinion on the video games, never played any of them.

Loading Video...

3. I actually have never understood the opposition to the idea of Kryptonite. Maybe its just the way some writers have approached the subject. But the concept to me makes sense.

No Caption Provided

4. I used to think Superman was boring until I looked deeper. He is one of those characters that comes off as boring on the surface and requires digging deeper to enjoy. I can understand if some people don't want to make the extra effort but those that outright call him boring just come off as ignorant to me.

No Caption Provided

5. I don't see being a boy scout as a bad thing. Its nice to have someone who can be optimistic and friendly in a world so dark and bitter. I am so tired of dark and gritty.

No Caption Provided

looks like someone swallowed it

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JulieDC

@iamrightyouknow: Not sure which killed your argument more: the trollish username, the "Superman sucks" level of immaturity, or the usage of Silver Age pictures to "prove" some kind of "point".

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I'll keep it short. Spider-Man is overpowered against regular guys in Ski masks. Superman is not overpowered against Despero, Mongul, Darkseid, Ultraman, Brainiac, Superboy Prime, et cetera.

Superman returns was an awful video game, take away Superman and you have almost no redeeming features.

Radiation is a fine weakness.

Boring is subjective, and it depends on the story.

The boy scout thing is somewhat unique these days, and in grittier stories it's interesting to see someone not bend their morals even when it's the "best" way to handle the situation.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kgb725

Kryptonite is lame how could anyone respect a weakness that isnt always a weakness. Just because there are stronger characters doesnt mean hes not op. Superman is a killer and tries to act like he wont kill but he does

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the character one of my all time favorites. Only thing I do not like about the character and this could be said of any character is the lack of growth. I would love to see a true Superman and Wonder Women story and not some over hyped tale toss in Lois at the end to block any attempt at a good story Lois.

Chemistry and many other things.

By far one of the best characters that DC has or will ever have imo but hey I think they have a gold mine is Superman and Wonder women the untapped potential to do amazing things and is that not what comics is truly about.

Doing amazing things?

josai21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main reasoning for "disliking" Superman is because I find the idea of him boring. Let me clarify, I've not read a ton of stories about him, but I've watched all the movies and Tv Shows(sans smallvile/loisand clark). By the idea of him being boring...I mean that there is no struggle to his character. He is a good person who fights crime and protects earth. That's the idea of superman. That's it. There is no struggle to be good. There is no struggle to control his powers. He just is.
I don't dislike his character, but I have difficult finding someone like that interesting. Characters like Spiderman or Batman or even Captain America on the other hand do interest me. Because they capture being human. Captain America is very similar to superman in that regard of being a "boyscout" but the idea of him doing so does not lose his humanity. Which I know is kinda an ironic statement considering that Superman is not a human but I degress.

Man of Steel, for all its flaws, made Superman interesting to me. So I'm eager to see where that goes. However the traditional idea of superman just feels like a Fanfic Gary-Stu. That's all I got to say. :)

(P.S. This is all opinion. I get that there are people who disagree and you have that right.)

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mysticmedivh

@legacy6364 said:

@flameboy298: There are versions where he can juggle planets and “sneeze out a galaxy solar system” ,and another where can can lift quintillion tons! He obsorbs energy from only a yellow sun, yet stars are not not yellow. And Kryptonite radiation weakens him? Come on! Do you know how long it takes for radiation poisoning to kick in. I'm no scientist but i can tell you it's not 3 seconds.

He is overpowered with out measure. I hate superman.

He sneezed out a solar system, not a galaxy. Keep in mind he sneezed out a solar system when he inhaled Mr. Mxyzptlk's magical dust.The version that sneezed and destroyed a solar system (with Mr. Mxyptlk's magical dust) and also juggled planets is Silver Age Superman, the last time he ever had a comic was the mid 60's. There are plenty of characters who physically outclass Superman, and are much more "overpowered". According to NASA our Sun is a yellow star. http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/a-star-is-a-big-ball-of-gas-text.html. The Superman that lifted 200 quintillion tons is an alternate version of Superman known as All-Star Superman. The current Superman, New 52, has been significantly depowered. Some versions of Superman can be easily and almost instantaneously weakened by a small shard of Kryptonite, similar to the one that Batman carries in his utlity belt, others take significantly more amounts of Kryptonite for any affect to take place, it all depends on who's writing.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinnercomix: why do people complain about superman being overpowered when Thor is just as powerful and doesn't have a weakness.

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@josai21 said:

My main reasoning for "disliking" Superman is because I find the idea of him boring. Let me clarify, I've not read a ton of stories about him, but I've watched all the movies and Tv Shows(sans smallvile/loisand clark). By the idea of him being boring...I mean that there is no struggle to his character. He is a good person who fights crime and protects earth. That's the idea of superman. That's it. There is no struggle to be good. There is no struggle to control his powers. He just is.

I don't dislike his character, but I have difficult finding someone like that interesting. Characters like Spiderman or Batman or even Captain America on the other hand do interest me. Because they capture being human. Captain America is very similar to superman in that regard of being a "boyscout" but the idea of him doing so does not lose his humanity. Which I know is kinda an ironic statement considering that Superman is not a human but I degress.

Man of Steel, for all its flaws, made Superman interesting to me. So I'm eager to see where that goes. However the traditional idea of superman just feels like a Fanfic Gary-Stu. That's all I got to say. :)

(P.S. This is all opinion. I get that there are people who disagree and you have that right.)

the Superman movies were...okay at best when they came out, its people who weren't even alive looking back at them who are raving about them today, they were Superman as you could see him at the time, in the comics (though the higher the sequel number, the further from being like the comics they got.) but after one they got really cheesy and bad. (seriously...Lex Luthor is a criminal mastermind in the realm of...real estate, thats beyond dumb)

NO ONE should be able to fault you for not liking the movies.

Lois and Clarke was also just plain bad, they specifically went out of their way to portray a version of superman that was not found in the comics. and this dictated what they could and could not do in the comics, Superman couldn't get married, (because he wasn't married on the show), Superman adopted for the first time the no-kill code. and we all ate a slice of cheese...

the stigma of that bad show had lasting effects on the superman franchise that we have a hard time shaking off today, this was perpetuated in that awful Smallville show, which again specifically took plot from thin air rather than from the comics, and again these new ideas were forced onto the comics.

Man of Steel, I love... finally back to the way Superman was, and IS. Superman isn't perfect, Superman will kill if necessary (happened many times before, and he even killed Zod in 1988.) Superman is rough around the edges when he begins his journey to hero, Superman is only human (not really, but you get what Im saying)

I applaud you for rejecting the bad parodies of what superman is from the past that were forced into canon. I applaud you for looking brightly to the future after viewing the beacon of hope for salvaging the original Superman that is Man of Steel. (despite the Sears ad)

DaredevilDD78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DaredevilDD78

i like Superman

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't dislike Supes but he does bore me . I tried to get into his comics but got bored with them quickly . Until New 52 I stayed away from his comics I just started getting back into his & they made him more or do a dick I like that . The goody goody role was boring & he seemed empty as a character . I always did like his shows & movies (even Lois & Clark , lmao) .

I think think he's OP tho I think his did hard fans just make him OP .

The krytonite thing never really made sense to me . & then all the other characters of krpytonite seems pretty stupid .

Okay that game was the worst thing ever lol I hated flying thru those rings lol I never could do it lol . Superman Returns was horrible too but it was a little better lol .

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'm not sure if the list is annoying or if it's the fact that people actually believe these things that is annoying.

1. "He's OP" ---- No he isn't. Silver Surfer, Franklin Richards, MJJ, Reed or Doom with prep, Wally, and so on are over powered.
  2. "His video games" ---- If you hate a character because of their video games then you're an idiot who should not breed.
  3. "His rock weakness" ---- As someone mentioned, it's not the rock that weakens him and I guess the tragic irony of being slowly killed by your home is lost on some people.
  4. "He's boring" ---- Every character has boring stories. Read a Superman story where he gets pissed.
  5. "He is a 'Boy Scout'" ---- Yes he is. That is one of the reasons he is the best and most influential hero in comics. Your opening paragraph completely nullifies number 5. You know who isn't a boy scout? Pissed of Superman.
proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By proto3296

I used to like him. As I grew older, I realized how freaking lame he is. Like every single power. What really pisses me off is the supersonic hearing. God that's annoying. Also hate his villains. Besides lex, there's nobody. Literally nobody that a common comic book can can think of. Spiderman is much better. We should make a why people like spiderman thread.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

1. Shows lack of knowledge about other heroes and is either up to taste or just general misinformation.
  2. Valid.
  4. Opinion. I find many other stories to be boring as well as some superman stories.

The right reply to the OP's comments. But yawn at another "why people hate Superman" thread, these are getting incessantly tiring now...

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dratini1331 said:
  2. Valid.

The right reply to the OP's comments. But yawn at another "why people hate Superman" thread, these are getting incessantly tiring now...

You know what is the funny irony? People say Superman is overpowered all the time, but very rarely you hear anyone address Goku from DBZ being overpowered too as an bad thing.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

@lvenger said:

@dratini1331 said:
  2. Valid.

You know what is the funny irony? People say Superman is overpowered all the time, but very rarely you hear anyone address Goku from DBZ being overpowered too as an bad thing.

Exactly, it's double standards a plenty. If the DBZ fanboys are right that Goku is too powerful for Superman, that's the same defect in Goku's character as it is for Superman to have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good superman fan could probably tear those reasons to shreds. I'm only going to focus on your last point. Basically you don't like superman because he's "too nice"? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Does that mean that people who are nice are basically boring. Superman is a nice individual because of his strong moral compass and his upbringing. Because of that he goes out of his way to protect people. He doesn't do it for revenge or because his parents died, he does it because he genuinely cares about saving lives. The man lost his entire planet. Does he elect to brood about and never smile? No, he puts that behind him and makes sure that will never happen to earth. For gods sake, he chose earth over krypton in "For the man who has everything". He had to go through the pain of losing his entire planet and his family because he chose his duty over his own happiness. If you think that's boring then you honestly have no idea what a true hero is. At the end of the day superman will always be there for the people of the DC world. How many times has he saved the world and how many times will he continue to do it? All because he's "too nice".

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By nickthedevil

I used to like him. As I grew older, I realized how freaking lame he is. Like every single power. What really pisses me off is the supersonic hearing. God that's annoying. Also hate his villains. Besides lex, there's nobody. Literally nobody that a common comic book can can think of. Spiderman is much better. We should make a why people like spiderman thread.

Shows how much you know. There's,

Doomsday, Zod (several), Parasite, Metallo, Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Kalibak is a usual competitor, as is Mongul, Atlas and more. Clearly, you did not read much.

This entire thread is a joke, and anyone who has any real semblance of Superman and his stories can rip these reasons to shred and leave nothing to stand on. In my personal experience, it's only the people who don't read Superman that say these things.