SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SpinnerComix
No Caption Provided

When I was a CV Noob (still kinda am, but I've grown), I made a thread titled "5 Reasons Why People Hate Superman". It was, and still is, my most infamous thread. I got alot of hate for it because people I guess misunderstood that I meant why PEOPLE hate Superman. Not why I hate Superman (and I don't. I love Superman).

So lets do another one! 5 Reasons Why People Hate the Dark Knight Detective, Batman.

THIS IS NOT MY OPINION! THIS IS WHY OTHER PEOPLE HATE BATMAN, I LOVE BATMAN!

#1: Relatable My A$$:

Many people love Batman because he is the most "relatable" superhero. He's human, has human weaknesses, yadayadayada. Others hate him for it, or at least the misconception of him being relatable. Bruce Wayne is a playboy born into wealth, and had his parents gunned down in front of him. Who can relate to that?! You know who's relatable? Superman! Minus his planet exploding, and y'know... being an alien. He is raised on a farm, with humble, good-hearted parents. He grew up as basically an immigrant, and just wants to live a normal life as Clark Kent (and be Superman as his duty to the people). Spiderman IMO is the most relatable superhero. He had girl problems, acne problems, social problems, etc. He had to learn an important lesson the hard way, and learned of course with Great Power comes Great Responsibility. What has Batman learned over the years? To grieve over his parents and train to become a living weapon and fight crime.

#2: Batman and Robin:

No Caption Provided

Oh God, why? Why does this movie exist? Often considered one of the worst movies of all time, Batman and Robin is easily one of the Dark Knight's deepest holes he's ever fallen into, and it took him nearly a decade to crawl out of it, at least on the big screen. Cheesy, boring, strangely erotic, and down right stupid, this Joel Schumacher catastrophe is hated widely by superhero fans, and moviegoers alike. As I stated in my Superman topic, it doesn't have to be necessarily the character that people hate, but what the character is connected to. This is definitely one of Batman's less than brighter moments in history (unless you count the neon paint).

#3: No, He Can't Beat SupermanNo matter what they argue, Batman just isn't beating the Man of Steel. In comics, he's only beaten maybe 2 or 3 times. Superman on the other hand has beaten Bats senseless numerous times. Prep? Not much help. Kryptonite? Sun dip. Red sun? Sun dip. Magic? He's beaten Shazam, who is much more powerful than Batman. Yet every ignorant 10 year old thinks that Batman beats Superman, "BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN!". This single reason makes Superman fans grow to hate him, comic fans grow to despise his popularity, and Bat-Fanboys too happy.

#4: He's the PIS King

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Need I say more?

#5: He Basically Killed Comics:

Batman has been around since the superhero comic's inception. Becoming one of the most popular superheroes around came from being a dark, gritty, dark vigilante. Then... came the 50's. The Comics Code Authority brought down anything interesting, and Batman swayed from his origins into a lovable, kid friendly, father figure. And the final nail in the coffin? The 60's TV Show. No longer were comics seen as a serious format of fiction, but instead a punch to the balls of anyone who thought superheroes should be adult. Stupid jokes, cheesiness up the wazoo, and the decade trained hero become a beer bellied weirdo. When the 70's and 80's came around, he returned to his dark roots of the Bob Kane days, and the 1989 Batman film boosted the popularity of comics, but it wasn't enough. The damage had already been done, and the scars have still never truly healed. The popularity for comics has never been around where it was in the 40's and 50's. Bad movies, TV Shows, the introduction of video games and Internet made the interest for comics lower and lower. If they had taken a different route with the Dark Knight maybe comics wouldn't be so ridiculous and considered as kid stuff. But sadly, that world is not our own.

Well that's it! 5 reasons why people hate Batman! I actually thought of a couple more, but I didn't include them. Such as the Bat-Fanboys, but I thought I'd get too much backlash if I added that.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts below!

Bonus Reason:

No Caption Provided

Pure evil, right there. Pure evil.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

People hate batman because of batman fans. That's it.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Spider-Man is more relatable.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Noone301994

Batman is love, Batman is life.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

This is true. Batfans write Batman though...

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Leatherface003

@noone301994 said:

Batman is love, Batman is life.

Batman forever...Hail Dark Knight

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5: He Basically Killed Comics

Batman has been around since the superhero comic's inception. Becoming one of the most popular superheroes around came from being a dark, gritty, dark vigilante. Then... came the 50's. The Comics Code Authority brought down anything interesting, and Batman swayed from his origins into a lovable, kid friendly, father figure. And the final nail in the coffin? The 60's TV Show. No longer were comics seen as a serious format of fiction, but instead a punch to the balls of anyone who thought superheroes should be adult. Stupid jokes, cheesiness up the wazoo, and the decade trained hero become a beer bellied weirdo. When the 70's and 80's came around, he returned to his dark roots of the Bob Kane days, and the 1989 Batman film boosted the popularity of comics, but it wasn't enough. The damage had already been done, and the scars have still never truly healed. The popularity for comics has never been around where it was in the 40's and 50's. Bad movies, TV Shows, the introduction of video games and Internet made the interest for comics lower and lower. If they had taken a different route with the Dark Knight maybe comics wouldn't be so ridiculous and considered as kid stuff. But sadly, that world is not our own.

That didn't happen the way you described it at all. In no way did he basically kill comics.

Waltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Waltz

Daredevil's so much better than Batman.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: If you think about it, he did. I'm not saying he really killed comics, but that's what others think.

If you think about it, everything that comics once were and what they could've been was destroyed by the 60's show. The Comics Code Authority, of course, caused some problems for the writers' creativity, but instead of working around the CCA, they just went straight with it, pretty much giving Bob Kane and adult Batman fans a slap in the face.

That's what I meant/mean about he "killed" comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I find both Dick Grayson and Green Arrow more human and relatable than Batman.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Pure evil, right there. Pure evil.

That image makes me love Batman even more.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@spinnercomix: Saying he killed comics with his 60's TV show when comics are more popular than ever 50 years later. Yeah he ruined the industry all right.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No matter what they argue, Batman just isn't beating the Man of Steel.

In comics, he's only beaten him maybe 2 or 3 times.

There are some mixed up wires here

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Batman because he's Batman.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batfans and his cross over appearances. Ive actually really started to enjoy his solo adventures, hes usually pretty "human" and ends up beat to heck. And I like his supporting cast. But put him with other heroes and all those other heroes have to be nerfed and turned into idiots for the glory of the Batgod. And then instead of sympathizing, Batfans rub it in. They always get so furious when somebody one ups Batman, just look at the lash back Johns got for Lex Luthor, but love to rub it in when he humiliates another character.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOPE
NOPE
To the number 5.
To the number 5.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Is very subjective.

#2 Just doesn't mean anything. He had a bad movie, so what? Superman has terrible video games but is that any reason to not like him?

#3 Whether he can or cannot beat Superman means literally zero to him as a character. So I don't even see why that is up there.

Man, they're Comic book characters "PIS" doesn't exist since these characters don't exist either. The average person who buys Comics doesn't care about comparing fictional character so this really shouldn't be up there, and I doubt it affects how the average people views Batman (except for maybe the people on Comicvine).

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By _Mongul

People don't hate Batman. This is stupid.

Poor_Censored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Poor_Censored

Personally, my issue with Bruce Wayne is that he picked a comparatively bad way he could be a hero. He has a ton of money and social & political connections that he could use to actually make Gotham (or the world) a better place, but he decides to squander his fortune on gadgets, and his time and political capital on beating up bad guys with his fists.

I have no issue with, say, Dick Grayson taking to the streets as a vigilante - even as Batman. Dick has a lot of physical skills, and little in the way of societal, political, or economic capital. The best contribution to fighting crime he might be able to make is by literally punching criminals in the face.

But that's not Bruce.

I even can understand Tony Stark a little better. Unlike Bruce, Tony not really an altruistic guy. At the outset (at least), Tony's a selfish, egotistical jerk who doesn't necessarily care about combating crime and improving the quality of life of people living near him. So... it makes a lot of sense that he's spend billions of dollars on personal vanity projects and advanced weaponizable technology that he could display on a national scale (versus cosmic or foreign threats) - because it strokes his ego to be a bad-ass action-movie rock-star savior.

But (again) that's not Bruce.

With the exception of John's thoughts on Batman's villains, I think the below video pretty closely mirrors my feelings on Bruce Wayne. Bruce basically just picked a comparatively bad way to actually attempt to accomplish his goal - the elimination of crime in Gotham. (Also, his vigilantism makes me question why everyone seems to think he's so unbeatably intelligent; when he's obviously not picking the most effective solutions.)

Loading Video...

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jojjimbo

Batfans and his cross over appearances. Ive actually really started to enjoy his solo adventures, hes usually pretty "human" and ends up beat to heck. And I like his supporting cast. But put him with other heroes and all those other heroes have to be nerfed and turned into idiots for the glory of the Batgod. And then instead of sympathizing, Batfans rub it in. They always get so furious when somebody one ups Batman, just look at the lash back Johns got for Lex Luthor, but love to rub it in when he humiliates another character.

This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate batman because he is better than their favorite hero and gets more attention

Poor_Censored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul:While lots of people like Batman, there are people who don't. I like his rogue gallery and a lot of his allies - but not Bruce himself.

@jayc1324: Possible for some, but certainly not for all.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Is very subjective.

#2 Just doesn't mean anything. He had a bad movie, so what? Superman has terrible video games but is that any reason to not like him?

#3 Whether he can or cannot beat Superman means literally zero to him as a character. So I don't even see why that is up there.

Man, they're Comic book characters "PIS" doesn't exist since these characters don't exist either. The average person who buys Comics doesn't care about comparing fictional character so this really shouldn't be up there, and I doubt it affects how the average people views Batman (except for maybe the people on Comicvine).

The average comic book fan enjoys seeing his favorite characters do the amazing things that make them like those characters in the first place, like Flash stopping enemies at the speed of light, Superman going a few rounds with Doomsday, or Wonder Woman going God of War on fools.

What they don't like is seeing their characters nerfed and diluted to make Batman look good whenever he's around. It's not about comparing characters.

@jayc1324 said:

People hate batman because he is better than their favorite hero and gets more attention

Better than my favorite hero?

Not in this lifetime, pal. Especially since "better" could mean a lot of different things.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: If you think about it, he did. I'm not saying he really killed comics, but that's what others think.

If you think about it, everything that comics once were and what they could've been was destroyed by the 60's show.

Gonna stop you right there.

No, that didn't happen. At all.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: Well it's not just the sales, that's not the best reason (not my opinion). It's what comics once were, that he "killed". Comics would be even more popular if there wasn't all that "BIFF, BAM, POW" stuff, at least today, because they wouldn't be thought of us as kid stuff. Much, anyway.

And like I said, I love Batman so it's not like I think this is all nice and dandy. It was hard to make this thread. I really hope I don't have to make one about Spiderman. He's my favorite...

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpinnerComix
Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Batman fans

2. Batman fans

3. Batman fans

4. Batman fans

5. Batman fans

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinnercomix:

Well it's not just the sales, that's not the best reason (not my opinion). It's what comics once were, that he "killed". Comics would be even more popular if there wasn't all that "BIFF, BAM, POW" stuff, at least today, because they wouldn't be thought of us as kid stuff. Much, anyway.

The show didn't once kill the theme of comics. The theme of comics varies too much at any given time to come to this conclusion.

Comics as a whole aren't really thought of as "kid's stuff"

The very definition of comics also varies too much:

Loading Video...

And like I said, I love Batman so it's not like I think this is all nice and dandy. It was hard to make this thread. I really hope I don't have to make one about Spiderman. He's my favorite...

I'm not accusing you of not liking Batman or being a Batman hater. I just don't understand how you came up with reason #5. Batman didn't nearly kill anything.

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: Like I said not my opinion.

(Plus, it was either that or Bat-Fanboys. And I think it was smarter to go with this one.)

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: Like I said not my opinion.

(Plus, it was either that or Bat-Fanboys. And I think it was smarter to go with this one.)

Eh, where did you hear it originally? It doesn't make sense.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Who can hate the god d*m Batman?

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imperfect_cell: Don't remember. Some kind of video, don't remember the name. I was tired when I made this, lol. But I think I heard that "Comics have never been as popular as they once were" on a documentary, and the CCA had something to do with that, blah blah blah. And I heard that the 66 show was connected to that, but like I said it was this one or Bat-Fanboys.

Do you think it would be smarter to change that to Bat-Fanboys, or should I try to protect myself from the Legion of Super Fanboys?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RisingBean

I personally find Daredevil and Hawkeye the most relatable.

My grievances with Batman are pretty much summed up to this. If you have armor that makes Superman look like he may lose, why in the %$&# are you having issues with clowns and fat guys with umbrella fetishes?

Oh and Batman and Robin? I recall seeing it in theaters. I recall them clicking their heels together and ice skates coming out. I recall all the puns related to ice and snow. I still wake up in cold sweats. Damnit. That wasn't an intentional pun.

I'm leaving now.

QueenAnt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and his writers must die

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Batman has always been relatable to me because he personifies every aspect of the book Think and Grow Rich. Before his parents died, he was NOT prodigal, he was NOT peak human. However, through his drive and discipline he became the best. He earned a seat among the gods. He had the desire to achieve a goal and would go to any lengths to achieve it. He wasn't just being himself, he was being his best self. In all of it, he is fighting an impossible crusade. His perseverance and faith among constant disappointment is one of the most relatable aspects of him. Obviously, like any comic, it requires a suspension of disbelief. If this was the real world, it would be better to improve the economy of Gotham. However, I could take any story and shoot it full of holes.

2. Batman and Robin. Thought the movie sucked like everyone else. It just didn't do campy in the right way.

3. Batman beating Superman--I don't really care. So, he beat him once in Endgame. Big deal! It isn't the first time someone has used tech to beat a more powerful opponent.

4. PIS. Every character has PIS at some point. In comics, you have street levelers fighting alongside power houses. You have Captain America fighting along side people like Sentry and Hyperion. When you have this mix you are bound to have PIS. Otherwise, there is no point in having street levelers on these teams. Batman has a very high number of showings so he is bound to have more instances of PIS.

5. All of DC comics became campy at that time. CCA was one of the worst things to happen to the comics.

6. Fanboys. Lol, not on this site. Most people low ball Batman.

On Another Note:

However, Batman isn't the most relatable character to me. Ted Kord and Ray Palmer is. They remind me a lot of myself, but that is for another time.

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spinnercomix: That's not an opinion. You can check the sales that year, they increased. There's nothing subjective about this claim.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

1) yeh i get that one. I've often tried to tell that to my friends who keep on saying superman is dated and unrelatable (different topic for a different forum). Being 'human' does not mean being relatable... hell how can i someone who lives in middle-class western Europe relate to the pain and suffering of people in courtries ruled by harsh dictators? I can feel sympathy for them (which is really what we feel for bruce) but I cant relate to them. Species does not equate relatability. Other characters in the DCU (and hell even batman related characters) are a lot more relatable, hell dick grayson was originaly invented so that young kids reading batman in the 40s could relate to one of the characters. Now having said this I am also aware that in many of his solo titles throughout his run we can relate to batman on occasion, but then we get the batfan problem (especially when said batfans are writting or suggesting ideas) which then destroys that relatability because "batman is da beeeest 4 evr!!!!" and that "humanity" which is within batman gets taken away. Its a problem with inconsitent writing.

2-5) super-batfans.... just that. just that forever with their constant "He's got a plan for everything"... now that excuse just bugs me completely. Batman has a plan to take down the justice league. He has a plan to take down villains he CONTINUOUSLY has to face and yet thats been interpreted as him having a plan to deal with any and all situations. It doesn't. His plans to take down the justice league were shown to be ineffective as they now know how to overcome them, and his plan to take on his villains keep on changing because his villains overcome them or throw him a fast one. He has plans yes, in the same way that ever bloody person on the world has a plan to deal with problems, but he doesnt have a constituacy plan for everything because if he did then why the fuck would he continuously be written as a paranoid guy? And lets not forget they age-old "well if he had like a weeks worth of time to prepare..." argument as a) in any showdown unless you are a edwardian or victorian gentleman challenging someone to a duel you don't get to chose the time, place and date of your fight. you fight right there on the spot. PLUS its always an argument which people just assume that batman is the only one preparing for the fight, hence why i sort of love this sketch http://www.dorkly.com/post/71903/alls-fair-in-league-and-war

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

The average comic book fan enjoys seeing his favorite characters do the amazing things that make them like those characters in the first place, like Flash stopping enemies at the speed of light, Superman going a few rounds with Doomsday, or Wonder Woman going God of War on fools.

What they don't like is seeing their characters nerfed and diluted to make Batman look good whenever he's around. It's not about comparing characters.

Isn't every character nerfed anyway in their story? Superman & Wonder Woman not using their full power, Batman deciding to fight regular instead of just using the JL buster or another mech suit to clean up Gothan in 2 seconds, Flash getting hit by guys who RL me can probably move faster than.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happened to point number three?

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think people are too caught up with what other people think. It's a lack of confidence on other people which seems to be the real problem. If a child believes Batman can beat Superman, so be it. One day they'll grow up and figure it out for themselves.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

Isn't every character nerfed anyway in their story? Superman & Wonder Woman not using their full power, Batman deciding to fight regular instead of just using the JL buster or another mech suit to clean up Gothan in 2 seconds, Flash getting hit by guys who RL me can probably move faster than.

Superman normally does hold back, but we know that's a conscious decision on his part. Because we and he know he can do some serious damage unchained. I don't consider that nerfed.

Nerfed is what I'd call Specter taking a kick from Batman like a chump.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

his fans are a pretty big reason, he is everywhere(he has so much stuff and always has more coming out), often not well written, he is overpowered alot(which alot of his fans take and run with)