3 Titles to get the ax

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

Edited By CircularLogic

So, DC is getting ready for their second wave of cancellations, and so far, out of 4 potential titles, JLI is getting the ax (which is a shame, I quite liked it...).

In any case, 3 other titles are gonna get taken down, and of course some titles deserve it more than others. So, here's my choices of the current DC titles that I feel have long since passed their expiration date and should be allowed to die gracefully. Feel free to suggest your own.

Quick rules, though. If it's clearly a high seller, I'm not going to include it. I may not like Batman: the Dark Knight, for example, but I know it's not going away any time soon. Also, I'm going to restrain myself and not include books that are only now starting to suck thanks to new creative teams, because then all three of the new Liefeld titles would fill my list.

Here we go

1. Legion Lost

In the interest of fairness, I'm only going to include one legion title, since it would be too easy to include both and be pretty much done with my list, and this one by far should be put up on the chopping block for just how inaccessible it is. From a first issue I had to actively force myself to finish because of how little I understood, to the past 3 issues being tied in to the already god awful Culling event (which, by the way, was obviously done to try and save the title by making fans of the Teen Titans book pick them up to get the full story, which is really shady business, guys), this series just isn't good, and, like a lame horse, should be put down before it hurts itself even more.

2. Superboy

I'm going to bend my own rules here, since I'm not sure how it's doing, sales wise, but still, this is a really mediocre title. Tom DeFalco can't scrub the 90's out of his script's, so we got for the past few issues a really great example on how NOT to do visual storytelling, as well as a lame story, built upon an equally lame story, which resulted in absolutely nothing of any real importance, except we got another team of young superheroes made mostly of past members of the original team of young superheroes to waste...I mean, invest our money into. If I can go off topic for a second, all of DC's Young Justice line have been pretty crappy, in my opinion, and since Scott Lobdell basically writes 90% of them, they all read the same, not one of them sets themselves apart from the others in terms of originality or tone. Now, the reason I'm bending my rule is because for the most part, Superboy's story ended with issue 9 of Teen Titans. His old cast all completely gone on to do their own thing, he's pretty much already a member of the Titans, and he doesn't have any story that really needs to be told since he's free of N.O.W.H.E.R.E. It's the perfect moment to just let it end, you could even pretend like it was his plan all along to save face.

3. Red Lantern Corps

Now, in fairness, rumor has it that the book has gotten better recently. That said, I never really saw the point of this book, and while I have read scans of the first 4 or 5 issues, all I got from it was that Atrocitus really spent a lot of time talking to that corpse, and that the scene where Bleez got her mind back was made useless by having that same scene done again in Green Lantern: New Guardians, except they both contradicted each other. No one really seemed to like this book, or understood what it was about, so I doubt many would be sad to see it go. Many have said this before, the Red Lanterns served a much better role as the antithesis of the Green Lanterns, and I would have much preferred a book about the Sinestro Corps (with their survivors going on without their leader as anti-heroes maybe?), or the Indigo tribe, or even the Blue Lanterns, than I would one about these guys.

Qohaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Qohaku

I agree on the Red Lantern title. I dont think they did the Rage corps justice in this run. They made Atrocitus very whiney. For a Corps hell bent on deliverying vengance theres realy not been much action in this title, and if you know anything about the old school RL's they brought the pain just like Sinestros Corps.

Zhakaraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zhakaraz

They will not be cancelling Superboy. Guaranteed.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

The only title you list that I think has a chance of getting cancelled is Legion Lost. Red Lanterns sells very well, as does Superboy. But then again, who knows? DC sort of cancelled JLI out of the blue, and it was doing pretty good.

Books I think are getting canned:

• Captain Atom
  • Resurrection Man
  • Deathstroke
CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4  Edited By CircularLogic

@The_Tree said:

The only title you list that I think has a chance of getting cancelled is Legion Lost. Red Lanterns sells very well. as does Superboy.But then again, who knows? DC sort of cancelled JLI out of the blue, and it was doing pretty good.

Books I think are getting canned:

• Captain Atom
  • Resurrection Man
  • Deathstroke

Yeah, I hate to say it but I think Captain Atom and Resurrection Man will be gone too, which is a shame because they're the best books you aren't reading in the new 52. I'm not too sure about Deathstroke, though. Liefeld was only recently put on the title, unless the sales take a very nose dive with issue 10 (which it probably will), I don't think it's quite ready for cancellation.

And the thing with JLI is what I'm hoping for with Superboy, that it ends here, where it can easily be wrapped up, and just moves him to the Teen Titans, since he has absolutely no setting anymore now that the culling is over. but that's mostly driven by how much I, and mainstream critical opinion of the comic, dislike that title.