Wolfbanekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfbanekiller
No Caption Provided

1. Hes Overpowered. I know what your gonna say superman fights people stronger then him all the time so hes not to powerful for the people he fights and i totally agree, But for a superhero he is overpowered if he was a pokemon he would be in ubbers for life (for the pokemon players) He curbstomps over half the dc roster of hero's in a straight up fight. If you watching a fight between superman and almost any hero your gonna put your money on the guy who can toss buildings like softballs.

No Caption Provided

2. Hes got virtually no weaknesses. Sure you got magic(which isn't even really a weakness he just has the same reaction to it as everyone else) and kryptonite and if your creative you could have a gun shoots red sun rays ,but who just carries those around, that's 3 weakness you know kills most heroes weakness are bullets, falling buildings, swords, fire, broken bones, a crowbar to the knee, Knifes, disease, drowning, poison, old age, etc. the list goes on. If your not coming and superman with Kryptonite or magic sword you've pretty much already lost

3. Too many powers. Flash has super speed and Wonder-woman has super strength and flight but superman has Super speed, super strength, flight, x-ray vision, heat vision, frost breath, super hearing, hes solar powered, etc. Superman can do what most heroes can do plus some and I'm pretty sure he doesn't age. How can you even fight something like that the villains are idiots to keep coming back for a piece of him like my boy vaas said from Far cry 3 "Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?" if i was a villain in the city of metropolis i would move because its a poor businesses decision to stay somewhere where a demigod that can literally hear you making the crime 4 miles away and is fast enough to get there before you step foot off your porch

No Caption Provided

Tell me if i made a mistake somewhere which i don't think i have i may have even missed a couple weaknesses and i know i missed a lot of powers

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many street level fanboys tend to pull the "He isn't relatable because he isn't human" card which is BS. Superman is more human than real ones.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The greatest Superman stories are thus because he's invulnerable, not in spite of it. Having so much power raises philosophical questions about one's responsibility and role in the world, which is what the best Superman stories (All Star, For Tomorrow) deal with.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

It's almost like he is some kind of superhuman being whose abilities reach beyond that of a normal man...a Superman, if you will :P

Wolfbanekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Who cares if the guy isn't human i'm talking about the fact that you can't really beat the guy, Unless they have a kryptonite or magic on their side most heros would never stand a chance against the big guy, Static shock took on superman it would be a less then 1 min fight. if beast boy on his best day fought him he would be choked out in less then 30 seconds

Wolfbanekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolfbanekiller

@bumpyboo: XD i laughed so hard you have the best comment out of everyone here

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@wolfbanekiller: Hehe, that is always nice to know, I like to give people a chuckle ^_^

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Tell me if i maid a mistake somewhere which i don't think i have i may have even missed a couple weaknesses and i know i missed a lot of powers

made*

I'm kidding ;) your post seems spot on imo.

Wolfbanekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Thanks for the spell check

TrueKing95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfbanekiller: 1. This is a fair argument

2. Almost all the people superman face either abuse his wweaknesses so much its not even funny.

3. A lot of superheroes have multiple powers. Flash is more powerful than supes with all the speed based powers he has been given. WW has almost the same powers as supes. And batman is written as batgod half the time.

Wolfbanekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfbanekiller

@trueking95: 1. thank you

2.If you wanna be like that then superman abuses everyone's' weakness to broken bones with his super strength

3. True but not many have as many powers a superman, and flash maybe faster but all he can do is run away, and wonder-woman doesn't have heat vision nor frost breath super reading and she run like the flash.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#12 wildvine  Moderator

@bumpyboo said:

It's almost like he is some kind of superhuman being whose abilities reach beyond that of a normal man...a Superman, if you will :P

[Wildvine and other people liked this]

Heehee

TrueKing95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfbanekiller: flash uses imp and hits harder than supes, can speed steal, bfr via speed force, phase through him, run on space, has greater reaction time, etc. Flash wins almost all fights vs supes on threads.

How often do you see supes using his full strength to break people's bones.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfbanekiller: I chalk up all 3 to people knowing pretty much nothing about superman. I've heard all kinds of arguments:

• "He gets new powers all the time!", his power set hasn't changed in about 40 years
  • "He nevers uses all of his powers because it would make for bad writing, so it's dumb cause he could win all the time." Despite that superman uses all of his powers consistently.
  • "He's so powerful I can't relate to him!" Yet you relate to insanely rich people with more psychological problems than you can shake a stick at (mostly for my friends who like IM and batman).

The list goes on and on. Most of the perceived problems, such as what you've highlighted, are most due to ignorance of the character, or ignorance of comics in general. As a direct response towards your points:

1. Superman is certainly a powerful character, amongst the strongest of your main heroes, but that doesn't actually make him "overpowered". He's not designed to interact with other characters in a comparative context, he's designed for his stories. He's the guy that tackles the bigger problems. He serves an entirely different purpose than other heroes in that regard. If they don't like him because of that reason, then it's not that they don't like the character, it's that they have a preference against that genre. Whether or not they care for superman once they've established that they don't enjoy any comic characters of his level, it becomes irrelevant what they believe of superman in this regard.
  2. He has more weaknesses than the likes of Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Flash, Shazam, or any Green Lantern. GLs are slowly becoming more and more god-like in any regard anyways. Besides, his nemesis doesn't always have to harm him physically, and that's what can really make a great superman story. His best tales, as someone pointed out, are the ones where he is indestructible. Kingdom Come, For Tomorrow, All Star. These are great because superman isn't suffering physically, but because they're intricate stories that question his morality, or morality on a whole. They show how human he truly is despite his birth. once again, despising him for this reason is to be ignorant of other characters, or simply have a penchant against powerful characters.
  3. Flash has more powers than you can shake a stick at honestly. WW has all of superman's powers save the hearing and vision, but in exchange is a literal goddess who can channel lightning from the gods and apparent mastery of all forms of combat. Martian Manhunter is literally superman + shape shifting and telepathy of ungodly levels. Lanterns have unlimited potential and power in theory, and sometimes in practice. Most of Superman's villains are extremely powerful as well, and in many cases can do real damage to him. Others, like Luthor, do it because they have an ulterior motive.

Essentially, these reasonings are only valid in a vacuum or by comparing him to the lowest outliers. There is a huge number of heroes who match Superman in any category, yet Superman gets hate for them. It's mainly just a preference for an alternative genre of hero altogether that causes people to state they "dislike Superman".

In a similar way, many people say they "hate Americans", but many would not directly hate someone just for being an American. Instead, these people generally hate the US Government, but will say "Americans" instead. They're stating only partial truths.

There are certainly reasons to hate superman, as his most recent run has been pretty bad. However, hating a character for traits shown by plenty of other characters is rather silly IMO, and just generally not the whole truth.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I don't like him because his origin and personality is generic, boy scoutish and lame. I also feel that a lot of his story arcs are exactly the same. Oh yeah, I hate his costume though. Though if you like him, that's absolutely fine. Hell, @lvenger is a HUGE Superman fan, and he's one of my all-time favorite viners.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Even if his origin story is a little ripped, he is the genre defining character. It's hard to call his origin generic since he was the first one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dratini1331: I agree with all of that except superman being relatable, and he is overpowered sometimes.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dratini1331

@jayc1324: I'd agree he can be OP depending on the scenario, but so can any other hero. I also personally find Clark and his problems more relatable than, say, Batman.

Avatar image for coolcatinatophat
CoolCatInATopHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the OP side to supes. After all, he is THE superhero. The first, the best, and the strongest. It allows his story's to bring in a more philosophical aspect, great power great responsibility (shut up, I know that's spideys thing, but supes had the theme first)

What really gets me is the powerless batman being fanwanked to the point most scrubs genuinely believe he could take on supes with his oh so powerfull "prep time" and his fantastical resources. I mean come on, his bat cave would need to contain fissionable kryptonite for nukes, and a passage to Narnia before he could even start giving Kal mean looks.

TrueKing95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dratini1331: batman once beat almost the entire justice league without prep. He is literally one of the most overwritten characters, yet no1 complains when batgod is OP.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trueking95: I don't recall that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Batman and deathstroke always perform way over their pay grades against other heroes.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you only mentioning supes? He's OP but at least he has a major weakness unlike other characters such as Thor, hulk, goku, flash, quicksilver, spiderman(spider sense is the most over powered thing ever).

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's just way to overpowered.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By comicace3

Nah I think New 52 Supes is more grounded than the original.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Meh. Most of the fans who believe that haven't read a good Superman story to begin with...