1st Batman v Superman Wonder Woman figure is a Barbie. Really?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll 1st Batman v Superman Wonder Woman figure is a Barbie. Really? (24 votes)

I think it's a good decision. 38%
Seriously, Mattel? 63%

Here's the latest editorial from my blog, Viners!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's opening weekend is quickly approaching and with San Diego Comic-Con right around the corner (at the time of writing this), it's obvious Warner Bros' big DC movie is going to have quite a presence at the event. We're all anxious to see what'll be revealed during WB's Hall H presentation - last year they showed footage and finally revealed Gal Gadot in her Wonder Woman costume - but there's obviously going to be plenty of merchandise as well. Funko has revealed its adorable versions of Ben Affleck's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman - which I would totally want to buy if I was going to the convention - and now Mattel has revealed some of its BvS collectibles.

No Caption Provided

There's a two-pack of Batman and Superman action figures, two Hot Wheels vehicles, and the very first Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Wonder Woman figure! Did she also get an action figure so fans could pose her with the two other DC heroes or pretend to have her fight Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent? Nope, she gets a Barbie. Why? Because apparently girls don't collect action figures?

On one hand, having a Wonder Woman Barbie figure out there is pretty awesome (and it sounds like a Batman and Superman one are on the way). There's a zero percent chance I'd ever buy it, but this gives young fans - and some older collectors - the chance to have an especially strong and inspiring Barbie. Hopefully, it gets them into the DC heroine - you know, even though Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice looks like it's aiming to be a more "mature" comic book movie. Still, there's many other Wonder Woman things kids can enjoy, like the comics and the Justice League animated show. Anyway, there's countless Dark Knight and Man of Steel collectibles available, so the chance to get even more people interested in Diana is of course a good thing. That said, I can't help but find this choice to be pretty ridiculous. Why do Batman and Superman get action figures and Wonder Woman's instead turned into a Barbie? Yeah, Batman and Superman are the main characters in the movie, but stereotyping much? This is DC's trinity, people! Young and old fans should be able to have all three of them together - something which paints Wonder Woman as their equal instead of pandering and thinking the only way young girls would want a Diana figure is if it's a Barbie.

No Caption Provided

I'm sure we'll eventually see Wonder Woman action figures, but why didn't Mattel instead just make that two-pack a three-pack, especially since EW's latest cover implies Wonder Woman will play a noteworthy role in the movie and we know she has her own spinoff in a few years? It currently costs $30 ($15 for each figure, which seems overpriced based on the quality seen in those images), so if they included her, they could bump it to $45 or even $40, just so it seems more affordable. Doing so absolutely would not prevent many, many people from buying it. Maybe this Barbie will create a new generation of Wonder Woman fans and maybe it'll motivate others to get more into the character. Maybe I'm overreacting here, but I can't help but feel like Wonder Woman - who's a ridiculously skilled and powerful warrior - not getting her own action figure (just yet?) along with Superman and Batman is pretty messed up.

• 
makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Excuse me for wanting to bush WW's hair before sending her into battle!

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By EyeDCyou

Dude Women's Rights awesome. Barbie now murders people instead of pining after Ken.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Apparently I'm the only person to vote fine with this. Probably shows my lack of knowledge about the toy market lol. I'm assuming barbies are bad things?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dan12456 said:

Apparently I'm the only person to vote fine with this. Probably shows my lack of knowledge about the toy market lol. I'm assuming barbies are bad things?

No, the article isn't saying Barbies are a bad thing.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

At least she's got nice breasts. I'm hoping the armor is removable

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Not the article, just the way everyone else voted. Seems like they would've preferred a different toy brand?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least DC gives some female characther´s merchandize, the same cannot be said with Black Widow and Gamora, and Black Widow was even replaced by Captain America on her probably most iconic scene of the movie. Sure It's a barbie but we could have more when movie is on cinemas or after. Plus WW needs to appeal to both male and females fans.

@dan12456:You arent alone.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

if it's marketed to young girls, maybe more young girls will take an interest in comics

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least she's got nice breasts. I'm hoping the armor is removable

No Caption Provided

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@makhai said:

Excuse me for wanting to bush WW's hair before sending her into battle!

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gokuss4z  Online
gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gokuss4z  Online

But for real this really pissed me off! There are thousands or batman ans and superman and so few wonder woman figures that collectors buy the all up and sell them for absurd prices.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Well Barbie has been pretty much everything else, might as well add Super Hero to the resume. Aside from the unrealistic body image thing I don't see many other problems with Barbie personally, she's been a doctor, lawyer, astronaut, business woman, she's done pretty much every traditionally male job that's ever existed aside from lumberjack and gigolo.

Clearly she's saying women can do literally every job.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By godzilla44

Stupid DC makes my WW into a Barbie smh, at least I can play with my Black Widow action figure. Oh wait.......

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

needs more beef IMO

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao that looks just like Gal Gadot. Good job Mattel.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, its stupid. They are acting like male children and female children play with different kinds of toys.