• 59 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

American Vampire #30

Scott Snyder and Rafael Albuquerque bring us the next chapter of “The Blacklist.” Pearl and Skinner continue to hunt down dangerous vamps, while Pearl’s husband, Henry’s life hangs in the balance. So far, this storyline has felt like it’s leading to a game-changing revelation that will send this series off in a new direction. Consider us excited.

Aquaman #12

It’s the end of “The Others” to cap off the first year of Aquaman’s solo title. Expect to find out who the traitor amongst the Others is, as well as who Black Manta is working for. Basically, expect some revelations to kick-start the second year of this glorious title.

Captain Marvel #3

The time-traveling adventures of Carol Danvers continue this week with Captain Marvel #3. I’ll be honest, I was never much of a Danvers fan before Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy got their hands on the character. Now, she’s one of the most interesting characters currently at Marvel. Also, I just want to see more of those badass WWII fighters, the Banshee Squadron.

Debris #2

Kurtis J. Wiebe’s latest Image series, Debris, is one fascinating beast. The book’s got an interesting lead protagonist, an engaging plot and a world I want to know more about. Coupled with the artwork by Riley Rossmo, and Debris is a beautiful book that deserves your attention. Sadly, this book is only a mini-series, so you got to love it while it lasts.

Green Lantern Annual #1

It’s the start of the next big thing for the Green Lantern franchise: the rise of the Third Army. Geoff Johns’ longtime collaborator, Ethan Van Sciver, joins Johns to provide the prologue to the upcoming mini event taking over the Green Lantern books in the coming months. Much like the Sinestro Corps War prologue before it, expect a lot of jaw-dropping moments within this issue to set the stage for epic things to come.

Justice League #12

We all know damn well why we’re picking this one up: Superman and Wonder Woman getting’ it on. It’s all anyone can talk about (OK, not really). But that’s not all this issue provides; we can also expect the League to continue their battle with Graves. There’s supposedly also going to be one hell of a cliffhanger that will have the world buzzing – even more than the Supes/Wondy relationship does.

Locke & Key: Grindhouse One-Shot

This is the first issue of Locke & Key we’ve spotlighted here, so we figured why not start with one that pays tribute to the gore-tastic grindhouse cinema era. If you haven’t checked out Joe Hill’s Locke & Key, this is the perfect issue to start with, providing a standalone story that’s new reader friendly. This issue also comes with a “Guide to Keyhouse” map that reveals every dark corner and secret room in America’s most frightening mansion.

New Deadwardians #6

Inspector Suttle inches ever closer to sussing out who killed a man once thought immortal. The beauty of New Deadwardians is that it’s a new and exciting take on the played out vampire/zombie dynamic. Writer Dan Abnett and artist I.N.J. Culbard are doing some great things with this series, providing an engaging murder mystery wrapped in some sharp and witty dialogue. If you haven’t checked out New Deadwardians yet, why not pick up the previous five issues and this week’s #6? You won’t regret it.

Uncanny X-Force #30

The storyline “Final Execution” enters its final act. As we’ve said previously, this story is grim. People are kicking the bucket left and right. Yet, we can’t turn away. Everything’s been building to this moment, and Rick Remender has not let us down yet. For fans that have been reading Uncanny X-Force to date, this issue will be high on the priorities list, no doubt.

X-O Manowar #4

After escaping the clutches of the evil Vine, Aric finds himself in present day Rome, which was not exactly what he was expecting. Now, Aric has some new problems he’ll be dealing with, namely how not to start World War III.

If you haven’t given X-O Manowar a shot yet, pick up all the issues to date – there are only four – and start reading. The book is great.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

#1 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

No love for The Flash or Detective Annuals (mainly Flash)

#2 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. None really cool this week (exception possibly being American Vampire)

#3 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Cyan Lantern: people finally realized the art is carring most of the book

really digging the uxf cover. marvel smallville.

#4 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and JL

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7542 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big Locke & Key fan, but I read in trade. Aquaman, GL annual and Uncanny X-Force. Also gotta grab Axe Cop for my son.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34381 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Locke & Key

#7 Posted by zexion_armando (81 posts) - - Show Bio

its Gambit 2 and AvX VS 5 for me this week.

#8 Posted by Mr_Colossus (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice Leage and Uncanny X-force are the only two listed here. Also looking forward to Gambit and AvsX VS 5. That's about it for this week.

#9 Posted by cc1738 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting Aquaman and Green Lantern annual.

I just started getting the trades for Uncanny X-Force. I have the first two trades and it is the best X-Men comic I've read in a long time. I'm waiting to get paid so I can grab the Dark Angel Saga. Can't wait to read that. I stopped getting Justice League after issue 8. I'm waiting to pick up the trade in January.

#10 Posted by sagejonathan (2014 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern Annual & X-O Manowar for me.

#11 Posted by saoakden (1076 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern Annual, Justice League, UNCANNY X-FORCE, and maybe Captain Marvel, from this list at least. For a lot of them I'm going to wait til the trade comes out. The Flash book looks amazing. I'm going to pick up the hardcover and I'm curious to find out what happens in all the Annuals coming out lately. Man there is a number of them coming out this week.

@cc1738: If you liked the first two trades, then you'll like Dark Angel Saga. Its a good story to read.

#12 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing here I'll get gambit next week

#13 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, if this last page "shocker" for JL 12 is the Supes/Wonder Woman thing, I will be so pissed. XD

#14 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

"We all know damn well why we’re picking this one up: Superman and Wonder Woman getting’ it on."

I think the only reason I keep buying Justice League is because of the Shazam back up story and hoping for Trinity War to start up! The current story is boring and I don't remember what's going on lol

#15 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

Off this list I'm getting the Green Lantern Annual #1 and Debris #2.

#16 Posted by MisterMxy (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman is the only thing that interests me on this list. i might check out Debris and the GL annual.

#17 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

It feels like CAPTAIN MARVEL just came out but I'm sure as hell not complaining. W00t!

#18 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

I see 4 for me

#19 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

the only one i might get is JL just to see if supes and wonder woman actually get together

#20 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern Annual #1

Flash Annual #1

Aquaman #12

Xforce #12

Winter Soldier #9

#21 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Only Justice League and the Flash Annual for me this week. I'm a DC purist.

#22 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh? Didn't anyone just said "Gambit #2?! Coming out this Wednesday? According to Comiclist.com, it does say it comes out on Aug 29th. Gotta get that for sure! I did enjoyed the first issue a lot.

#23 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Green Lantern!

#24 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

JL, Green Lantern, and some that weren't mentioned.

#25 Posted by RoTheKid (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and JL for me. I like Geoff Johns' run on Aquaman more than his run on JL, admittedly.

#26 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

JL for sure lol. Green Lantern Annual as well. At least, that's what I wanna buy. Gonna try and buy it anyway o.0

#27 Posted by Judge_Dredd (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Witchblade needs more buzz, that may be my pick of the week.

#28 Posted by thenexusrebound (248 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Force, Ultimate Comic X-men and Witchblade. I really need to get the trades for American Vampire. I loved the first five issues, then again I love how Snyder writes.

#29 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League #12 out of these, plus a few others.

#30 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9253 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list I am getting:

Captain Marvel

Justice League

Green Lantern Annual

#31 Posted by TheGardener (16 posts) - - Show Bio

American Vampire, Aquaman, Uncanny X-Force and the Flash Annual for me. The flash is really close to being dropped from my pull list so if the annual sucks then I'm dropping the title.

#32 Posted by PortlandsBatman (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics Annual #1

#33 Posted by Dead_raccoon (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how some of those made a "must buy" list, but Justice League is the only one from it that I will actually commit to purchasing.

#34 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

AQUAMAN for sure. Love that book. and GAMBIT as well.

#35 Posted by Dman1366 (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Avenging Spider-Man #11

WatX #15

Green Lantern Annual #1

Captain Marvel #3

#36 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

GL Annual

Superman Annual

Flash Annual

Aquaman 12

JLI Annual

JL 12

Minutemen #3

AVX vs 5

#37 Posted by Queso6p4 (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely grabbing about half of these and a number of others too. Good list.

#38 Posted by benette_rivera (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously? No Flash Annual #1 and Gambit #2?

#39 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern Annual, Aquaman and Justice League are my choices for this week.

#40 Posted by kriminal (654 posts) - - Show Bio

@benette_rivera: i was disappointed in gambit 1.

#41 Posted by Nantucket (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I shall be picking up the Green Lantern Annual, Aquaman and Justice League.

Should I pick up a physical copy of the GL Annual or buy it online digitally considerably cheaper? Decisions decisions.

#42 Edited by kulukimaki (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry, guys. Here's the approved list (more or less in order of magnificence):

1. Morning Glories #21
    Well what's to say...
  2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Micro Series #7 April
    Really like this series. Glad it's still going.
  3. Debris #2 (of 4)
    #1 was great. And it's only 4 issues. This is the kind of series I'd like to see go on a little. Just like Alabaster:Wolves. Well if it keeps it up.
  4. Smoke And Mirrors #5 (of 5)
    The conclusion to an original and interesting book.
  5. Grim Leaper #4 (of 4)
    See above comment.
  6. Higher Earth #4
  7. Gambit #2
    Well, #1 was not so bad. Let's see what the tendency is.
  8. Locke & Key Grindhouse One Shot
    Got all Locke & Key stuff so this is a no-brainer.
  9. Uncanny X-Force #30
    Not liking the current arc all too much, so I'm hoping this will get better. It is my last X-Men title at the moment.
  10. Captain Marvel #3
    #1 was good. #2 not so good. #3 decides if I'm keeping.
  11. Before Watchmen Minutemen #3 (of 6)
    Kinda sad that Before Watchmen doesn't really live up to it all. At the moment I find it rather useless. Only Manhattan caught my interest, but that story has issues of its own.

Well until next week you guys.

#43 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah! Same on my list.

Green Lantern Annual, Aquaman #12 and Justice League #12.

#44 Posted by sinestro_GL (3287 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, Flash Annual, GL Annual, JL for me...dayum...I'm going to be low on cash :p

#45 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship was the cliffhanger?

#46 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-force #30

Captain Marvel #3

Winter Soldier #9

#47 Posted by Tristard (2 posts) - - Show Bio

hm nothing for me... waiting for gambit! :D

#48 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

AQUAMAN !!!

#49 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

unccany xforce

#50 Posted by Baconbot (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force, AvX VS 5 and Winter Soldier.