• 89 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Action Comics #11

After nonchalantly "killing off" Clark Kent last issue, Grant Morrison and artist Rick Bryant are prepared to reveal Kal-El’s new secret identity this week. Meanwhile, Lois Lane continues to hunt down leads on the identity of earth’s first Superman.

We don’t really know what that means exactly, but seeing as how this is Grant Morrison, anything is possible. We’re still waiting for the moment where Action Comics becomes the Superman series we all deserve (issue #9 brought it pretty darn close though). Hopefully this is the one.

Amazing Spider-Man #689

The return of the Lizard continues with Amazing Spider-Man #689. Spidey and Morbius think they’ve calmed the beast and cured Curt Connors of his Lizard affliction. However, we know that isn’t quite the case. There’s still something evil lurking in the dark recesses of Connors’ mind, and it’s likely that Spidey and Morbius will come to realize this very soon.

Animal Man #11

We’ve arrived at the conclusion to “Extinction is Forever.” DC is promising big things for the Baker family in this issue. This is the start of something massive, probably tying Jeff Lemire’s work in Animal Man even closer to Scott Snyder’s Swamp Thing.

The build-up to the war between the Red, Green and Rot has been fantastic thus far, and we can’t see this series faltering any time soon. Bring on more Animal Man, we say.

Avengers vs. X-Men #7

Say what you will about the first five issues of Avengers vs. X-Men. But let’s be honest: the sixth issue rocked something fierce and really sent this series off in a new and exciting direction.

Now it’s time for writer Matt Fraction to pick up the pieces and run with them, with the help of artist Olivier Coipel of course. Cyclops has declared “No More Avengers,” so let’s see if he can deliver on his promises.

Batman: Earth One HC

Yes! Geoff Johns and Gary Frank’s Batman: Earth One graphic novel is finally hitting store shelves. It’s been an incredibly long wait, but here’s hoping Johns and Frank can tell an original origin story that doesn’t just feel like a retread of Frank Miller’s seminal Batman: Year One.

At the very least, though, Batman: Earth One will be a gorgeous contemporary retelling of Master Bruce’s rise from scared child to predator of the night.

Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #1

Len Wein and artist Jae Lee peel back the layers of one of Watchmen’s most infamous characters – Ozymandias. We don’t really know what to expect from this series, but we imagine it will in some fashion set in motion the eventual decisions Ozy makes in Watchmen proper. You know, how he choices to condemn millions to save billions.

So far the Before Watchmen titles have been rather good – although I personally wasn’t a fan of Nite Owl. Here’s hopefully Ozymandias #1 is a solid start for the series. But at least we know the art by Jae Lee will be gorgeous.

Cape 1969 #1

Joe Hill and Jason Ciaramella’s original Cape mini-series was a surprise hit last year, even earning the team an Eisner nomination. Now we’re flashing back to 1969 to get the true origin story by Hill, Ciaramella and artist Nelson Daniel.

This series takes place in Vietnam in 1969 and focuses on Captain Chase, a Medevac helicopter pilot for the US Army who is shot down over enemy territory. It becomes as deadly game of cat and mouse as Chase and his crew fight for their lives against the Vietcong. But they’re not even the worst thing out in the jungle…

Creator-Owned Heroes #2

Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Phil Noto’s sci-fi epic, “Triggergirl 6,” continues with its second chapter. This issue picks up with Triggergirl fighting her way through the White House to assassinate the President of the United States.

Meanwhile, in part two of “American Muscle” by Steve Niles and Kevin Mellon, Gil takes matters into his own hands by venturing out into mutant-infested territory. He’ll come to regret that decision.

This issue also comes with an interview with Paul Pope, a Phil Noto art gallery and original articles celebrating creator-owned comics.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1

Oh man, He-Man is returning in a new mini-series thanks to writer James Robinson and artist Philip Tan. Growing up, I was a huge He-Man fan (I literally threw tantrums if my parents didn’t let me wear my He-Man sword on my back into town), so getting a new comic series with a darker, edgier tone sounds fantastic.

In typical He-Man fashion, Skeletor has devised a plan to rule Eternia and it’s up to He-Man and the rest of the Masters of the Universe to stop him before it’s too late. I have my fingers crossed there will be plenty of Battle Cat action in this issue. Man, I love me some Battle Cat.

Invincible Iron Man #520

This is it, the big showdown between Tony Stark and Mandarin. Writer Matt Fraction and artist Salvador Larroca wrap up their “Long Way Down” arc in Invincible Iron Man.

This series has been building to this moment for the better part of a year. Will Stark Resilient come out of this alright? Who will live? Who will die? The answers to those questions will be found in this issue.

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

Staff
#1 Posted by cc1738 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting Action, Age of Apocalypse, Wolverine and I might get Batman Earth One.

#2 Posted by jwalser3 (4412 posts) - - Show Bio

Action comics and Ozymandias

Cape 1969 sounds interesting.

#3 Posted by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics (of course) and He-Man! It's surreal to have He-Man back and looking so faithful to the original cartoon. Can't wait!

#4 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Wheres a good place to start on Invincible Iron man??

#5 Posted by thenexusrebound (227 posts) - - Show Bio

TF:RiD, Artifacts, and Ultimate Spider for me. Seems like the first week of the month will be DC free for me.

#6 Posted by grenade728 (737 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited for Action Comics this week. Might pick up Ozymandias too.

#7 Posted by darkrider (421 posts) - - Show Bio

this is James Robinson week

#8 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

It will be nice to finally get my hands on Batman: Earth One. Really looking forward to Robinson's take on He-Man.

#9 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

HE MAN!!! Batman Earth one may be something I'll be buying later but right now I'm just not sure how I feel about it. The superman earth one wasnt as in my opinion but i knew people who enjoyed it. I wait till I see some reviews I guess.

#10 Posted by ScarlettLynn (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting several this week. The ones I'm most looking forward to are Action Comics, Animal Man, Batwing, and Worlds' Finest.

Also looking forward to Earth 2 (off to a good, compelling start so far) and StormWatch (growing on me more and more).

The only one I'm picking up and aren't all that excited about reading is Detective Comics. I'm finding it a bit bland so I'm definitely curious to see who will be taking over come October.

#11 Edited by Crazitas (2 posts) - - Show Bio

X-O Manowar #3

#12 Edited by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

Action, Batwing, and whatever I missed last week for me!

Oh, and COH!

#13 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics and He Man

#14 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (13901 posts) - - Show Bio

No! you.have.got.to.be.kidding.me, FINALY!!! they are launching Batman EARTH ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Posted by Cavemold (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting wolverine and batwing

#16 Posted by saoakden (958 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list: Action Comics, Avengers vs. X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Earth One, Invincible Iron Man, maybe Animal Man and Before Watchmen: Ozmaydeis.

#17 Posted by kingdomenic (158 posts) - - Show Bio

I just dont see what all the fuss is about Action Comics, but I am buying it anyways. I am really pumped for He-Man though.

#18 Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crazitas said:

X-O Manowar #3

That comes out July 18th I believe. And when it does ship, it will totally be on this list. I loved the first two issues.

Staff
#19 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

hahahaha wow..i cant believe people are goign to pay $20+ to read geoff johns take on batman, whihc is possibly his worst written character ever. and he's tackling his origin!? lol why does geoff johns feel he has to change everyones origins. like just come up with your own ideas. geoff johns is like the lil wayne of the comic industry

#20 Edited by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM, Wolverine, Deadpool, Punisher, Spawn( for the cover), Animal Man next month if a new arc starts

#21 Posted by blindisaac (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Worlds Finest. Earth 2, Dial H, Hulk, and Infernal Man Thing for sure. I love Robinson but I dont know if I will be picking up He-man.

#22 Posted by JamDamage (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

looking forward to Ozymandias. Mostly because of Jae Lee. I'm surprised this guy doesn't do bigger books. Seems like everyone likes his art. I know I do.

#23 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I am picking up Action Comics of course. I am also picking up Batman Earth One mostly because I love reading origin stories. Despite the fact that Johns isn't the best Batman writer, but he's still a good writer and Gary Frank is a great artist, so the book will at least look good and may have a few good moments. I'm also tempted to pick up Ozyimendias because Len Wein is a great writer and I do like the character (don't like the actor who played him though) I guess it will depend on how much money I have left after picking up my other stuff, plus food.

#24 Posted by Aph8825 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man and Swamp Thing should be awesome this week and only one more month till the cross-over, finally. And I cant wait for Batman: Earth One!!

#25 Posted by longbowhunter (5838 posts) - - Show Bio

Still unsure if I'm gonna get the Cape: 1969. Animal Man, Dial H, Earth 2, Punisher and Swamp Thing.

#26 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

hahahaha wow..i cant believe people are goign to pay $20+ to read geoff johns take on batman, whihc is possibly his worst written character ever. and he's tackling his origin!? lol why does geoff johns feel he has to change everyones origins. like just come up with your own ideas. geoff johns is like the lil wayne of the comic industry

Earth One is in a parallel Earth.

#27 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Swamp Thing is moved to next wk.

Animal Man, Dial H, and Punisher. Short but sweet. Get to save money for my Bday wknd

#28 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY!

Fraction's Iron Man is getting some love! It is such a dark horse of a comic, and is completely ignored because of the irritating Marvel events.

#29 Posted by lifeboy (1621 posts) - - Show Bio
Which earth is the one where the main dc characters reside?

@The Mighty Monarch:

#30 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch: i know but still it doesnt change the fact that Geoff Johns is writing a batman origin story.

aha i just noticed that you always comment when i insult Geoff Johns, ima take a wild guess and say geoff johns is definitely your top 5 favorite artist lol

truth is i like geoff johns stuff but i just dont like when he writes batman stuff and i knew that at some point in his career that he'd write a batman origin story. he has good writting but i bet this isnt gonna be as good as Superman: Earth One and thats not saying much.

#31 Posted by Waddly_Hobbins (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher, Fury Max, and maybe Batman Earth One, if it gets good reviews.

#32 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

@The Mighty Monarch: i know but still it doesnt change the fact that Geoff Johns is writing a batman origin story.

aha i just noticed that you always comment when i insult Geoff Johns, ima take a wild guess and say geoff johns is definitely your top 5 favorite artist lol

truth is i like geoff johns stuff but i just dont like when he writes batman stuff and i knew that at some point in his career that he'd write a batman origin story. he has good writting but i bet this isnt gonna be as good as Superman: Earth One and thats not saying much.

Do I really? Complete coincidence. I think his Green Lantern is fantastic, but his Justice League has teetered between pretty good and absolutely atrocious. And most of his other stuff is only so-so, I was massively disappointed with Flashpoint. Weird.... I thought I'd been harder on him lately.

@lifeboy said:

Which earth is the one where the main dc characters reside?

@The Mighty Monarch:

Earth Zero

#33 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Earth-2 and Dial H aren't on here? Criminal.

#34 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

He-Man is going to be so awesome!

#35 Edited by Crazitas (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik_norris: gotcha. More than a month is too long to wait. My week is only slightly ruined as I guess I will have to fill the void with something on your list. I guess it will be a James Robinson week as He-Man tries to fill Aric's shoes. Already getting Earth 2 so my entertainment this week rest solely on the shoulders of one Mr. Robinson. Here is to hoping the Brits don't ruin my comic day fourth of July...that would be positively mean of them as this only happens but every so often.

#36 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch: Out of curiosity what do you think of Johns current run on Aquaman? I personally think that is some of his best writing since he revamped GL.

#37 Posted by DrewHLMW (53 posts) - - Show Bio

action, spider-man and avengers vs x-men

#38 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman said:

@The Mighty Monarch: Out of curiosity what do you think of Johns current run on Aquaman? I personally think that is some of his best writing since he revamped GL.

Aquaman's good. It's not his best work quite yet, it lacks some of the elegant long term deep rooted depth that his GL has, but it's usually very solid. A few issues have been misses, but with the most recent arc he's been pretty on fire.

#39 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics, Avengers vs. X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Batman Earth One, Animal Man, Earth Two, Worlds' Finest and Ultimate Spidey ;)

I'm SO EXCITED for Batman:Earth One, I've waited so looooong, I even got it marked on my calendar :D hope it's as good as Superman's or even better! :D

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics #11 for sure, and Batman: Earth One HC I REALLY want...really, REALLY want...

#41 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-men

AVX

#42 Posted by Mypasswordisnotpassword (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Action, Ozymandias, Detective, JLI, Batwing, Red Lanterns

#43 Posted by SavageDragon (2166 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM, Haunt, A v X. Maybe He-man. Happy Independence day everyone!

#44 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

another batman book. WOW. dc, you always surprise me.

#45 Posted by wowylied (237 posts) - - Show Bio

I will wait to have decent price in comixology and maybe i will buy some.

But for now i am forced to wait for the trade to read them.

#46 Posted by CitizenJP (570 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man is sooooo awesome.

#47 Posted by HempKnight757 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics, Amazing Spider-Man, Batwing, Creator Owned Heroes, Dan the Unharmable, Dial H, Earth Two, & JLI.

Spending a lot this week so I hope their good. Starting to branch out of DC some, but costing more money.

Friend of mine reads the Cape & Animal Man so I would suggest them.

Can't believe DC is going to mess up the Earth Two cover with advertisement for the Dark Knight Rises.

#48 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

This statement sounds pretty weird.

Considering the fact that Geoff Johns have never written a batman book alone. He only written less than 5 issues which are all co-written. Also Earth one is a parallel universe and yes in your follow up you said it still doesnt change the fact that its an origin story. Which is the point. All of the Earth One stories will be origin stories with a modern and a more different take.

So its probably not true that "he feels he has to change everyone's origins"

#49 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Action, Animal Man, Earth 2, GI Combat, Green Arrow, JLI, Red Lanterns, Stormwatch, Worlds' finest

#50 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

The Amazing Spider-Man and The Invincible Ironman look good to me.