• 97 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares #2

Holy crap, we're dealing with Dracula here! The cliffhanger to the first issue of Lord of Nightmares was absolutely fantastic, as it something both completely surprisingly yet so obvious at the same time. Leave it to Scott Snyder to introduce a staple of vampire mythology in such a new and refreshing way.

If the first issue was any indication, the second issue of Lord of Nightmares will be just as intense, with Felicia and Agent Hobbes attempting to track down the king of all vampires. Even if you're not reading American Vampire proper, American Vampire: Lord of Nightmares is worth checking out.

Ant-Man Season One HC

Because you asked for it, it's a contemporary reselling of the origin of Ant-Man! Marvel's "Season One" books haven't really been anything to write home about thus far. They've all been rather safe, choosing to insert references to current pop culture to make them seem relevant instead of exploring the titular characters from new, interesting angles.

But we haven't given up on the line just yet. With Ant-Man, writer Tom DeFalco and artist Horacio Domingues have the opportunity to delve deeper into the psyche of one of Marvel's most conflicted characters. Hank Pym is a man of many disguises, with a personality that shifts almost as often as his costume. Hopefully, DeFalco and Domingues can find a way to play this up for all it's worth in Ant-Man Season One.

Batman #11

I'm sure we all have the same question on our mind following the end of issue #10:

is Lincoln March really Bruce Wayne's long lost younger brother, Thomas Wayne, Jr.?

Batman #11 plans to answer that question (or does it?) while simultaneously wrapping up the "Court of Owls" storyline that's been building since issue #1. This concluding issue by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo should not be missed under any circumstances.

Before Watchmen: Minutemen #2

The second issue of Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen releases this week. I think the general consensus is Minutemen #1 is the best of the Before Watchmen issues thus far. Therefore, here's hoping issue #2 is just as strong.

The Minutemen have officially been assembled and it's now time for them to start busting skulls to keep the streets safe.

Peter Panzerfaust #5

Peter Panzerfaust's first arc, "The Great Escape," comes to an end. The plan didn't work out. Now Paris is under Nazi occupation, leaving the Lost Boys no choice but to make their final stand. Will we finally see the epic confrontation better Peter and this universe's version of Captain Hook? Here's hoping.

Punk Rock Jesus #1

This new series written and drawn by Sean Murphy follows a… wait for it… angsty teenage clone of Jesus Christ (only in the funny books!). When a reality show clones the Son of God, what are the political, moral and religious implications of such a profound act? Those are the types of questions Murphy plans to explore in this six-issue mini-series from Vertigo.

Richard Stark's Parker: The Score HC

If you've read the first two Darwyn Cooke adaptations of the Parker series (The Hunter, The Outfit), then you know full well why we're excited for the third book in the series, The Score. Darwyn Cooke has been killing it with these adaptations, with equal parts great storytelling and art.

In book #3, Parker groups up with a dozen partners in crime to take down an entire city. However, things never go according to plan, and it will be Parker caught in the middle of the biggest heist of his career. The Score is often regarded as the best book Richard Stark's Parker series, so it's exciting to see one of the comic industry's best talents tackle a story of such magnitude.

Swamp Thing #11

Did Anton Arcane really kill Swamp Thing at the end of issue #10? Or, does writer Scott Snyder have a trick up his sleeve? We're going to assume it's the latter more than the former. But that doesn't make Swamp Thing any else enthralling. If you aren't reading this series, shame on you. Seriously. You're a terrible person.

Uncanny X-Force #27

The X-Force has been systematically taken down by the latest version of the Brotherhood of Mutants. How will they pull themselves together to mount a counter-attack?

Also, someone new is joining the team. Anybody have any guesses?

Walking Dead #100

The day has finally come: Robert Kirkman's seminal zombies series finally hits its landmark 100th issue. Image Comics is promising one of the darkest moments to ever befall Rick Grimes will happen in this over-sized issue. And, well, it's got to be something truly twisted to top what's happened to the man in the past.

The Walking Dead #100 will represent a pivotal moment for this series, one that will hopefully tip over the dominoes that will lead to another 100 issues of depressing zombie goodness. So let us all raise our glasses and toast arguably the most successful creator-owned series of all time for making it this far. Here’s to 100 more!

Erik Norris is a freelance writer for sites such as ComicVine, IGN and CraveOnline.com. You can stalk him on Twitter @Regular_Erik.

Staff
#1 Posted by Redbullet685 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Wednesday couldn't come quicker. Walking Dead #100 here I come.

#2 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to Batman, Also Minutemen, I love Darwyn Cooke's work.

#3 Posted by RigorMortis (87 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever Batman and X-Force come out on the same day it's like in Hercules when the planets all align and the titans all run amok. That happens in my brain.

#4 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman for me.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (7083 posts) - - Show Bio

Walking Dead, Uncanny X-Force, Swamp Thing and Batman. I'll pick up American Vampire in trade as always. I was kinda excited for that Ant-Man Season One book but I read a preview and hated the art.

#6 Posted by Aliana_Starks (377 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope it's Sage joining the team.

#7 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped following Uncanny X-Force for some unknown reason. I think it was because I knew it could only go downhill after the Dark Angel Saga. 

Batman is a DEFINITE, though.

#8 Posted by Cavemold (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, scarlet spider , Venom

#9 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I have not read Uncanny X-Force in such a long time, I wonder if I should get it again...probably not, I already out 200$ on SDCC exclusives preorders from ebay (ugh) and its only gonna get worst as more new things are revealed...

#10 Posted by tcglkn (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly cannot wait for Walking Dead #100 to come out!

#11 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio

@RigorMortis said:

Whenever Batman and X-Force come out on the same day it's like in Hercules when the planets all align and the titans all run amok. That happens in my brain.

Awesome reference!

#12 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable, Punisher, or EVA's humanoid form

#13 Posted by jwalser3 (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Swampthing picks up, issue 10 was kinda slow.

#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11591 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm..So I'm only getting 3 top comics this week in the form of Batman, Swampy, and X-Force.

#15 Posted by saoakden (1047 posts) - - Show Bio

After issue 10 I'm looking forward to Batman, and Uncanny X-Force, I love the series. The Otherworld story arc was ok to me. Overall from this list, Batman and Uncanny X-Force, maybe American Vampire and Swamp hing. I'll be honest haven't read the American Vampire and Swamp Thing yet. Damn Scott Snyder, pratically all your books come out this week.

#16 Posted by SoA (4836 posts) - - Show Bio

i really hope its not any of the original group that dies in walking dead . new dudes i could care less for

#17 Posted by sinestro_GL (3152 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anyone tell me how Before Watchmen is?

Worth picking up?

#18 Posted by kamakazi152 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally stoked about Batman #11, been dying for this since #10!

#19 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh I got Swamp Thing at my store last week... did no one else get it?

#20 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Swamp Thing and X-Force for me.

#21 Posted by Aph8825 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

So many good issues coming out this week!

#22 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

x-force and ant-man. that is all. and what was the guy smoking when he decided 'i am going to publish punk rock jesus'?

#23 Posted by Scodiac (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm most looking forward to the second issue of The Massive. I haven't read The Walking Dead for a while but I may pick up 100 just for the hell of it since it should be entertaining.

#24 Posted by Brownghost (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_GL: nite owl and comedian were okay, the rest are great

#25 Posted by Brownghost (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive got batman, walking dead and massive making me exited, gonna be at my shop before it opens

#26 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Season One is the worst. No way worth a penny of anyone's money. Especially when they did nothing to reinvent the characters. Its basically, what you've seen before, almost everything the same. It was like that with Spiderman, Fantastic Four and X-men season one. I wish marvel could produce some OGN like the earth one series.

Besides, Tom Defalco is only an average writer, I'm gonna miss Scott Lobdell on Superboy. I'm not giving up on Superboy yet, but I'll have to wait and see.

#27 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brownghost said:

@sinestro_GL: nite owl and comedian were okay, the rest are great

Actually I thought nite owl was really good. Really good in fact. Agree with you on the rest. Comedian was okay (not bad by any means) but the rest were great.

#28 Posted by sentryman555 (771 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we really need to look out for Punk Rock Jesus? -___- On another note. Can't wait for issue 100 of Walking Dead and the new Batman!

#29 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-men

Wolverine and the X-men

Uncanny X-force

Avenging Spider-man just to see what Carol Danvers is like as Captain Marvel.

#30 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

WALKING DEAD # 100

Dancer # 3

Batman

#31 Posted by EvanTheMexiJew (99 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna go the extra mile and physically buy Batman 11 at my comic book store! Mile High represent!

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

My LCS is throwing a party tonight @ 10pm to commemorate the release of the hundredth issue of Walking Dead. If you go dressed up as the undead you get a free variant cover. Guess who's dressing up as a zombie and partaking in the festivities? ::grins::

#33 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

How am I not supposed to be offended by punk rock Jesus? That is very insulting to all Christians!

#34 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

How am I not supposed to be offended by punk rock Jesus? That is very insulting to all Christians!

You're a Christian... Forgive them.

#35 Posted by Bobzenub (120 posts) - - Show Bio
Not-so-mainstream treats on my list: Crossed Badlands #9
Stitched #6
Massive #2
American Vampire Lord Of Nightmares #2
Punk Rock Jesus #1
Saucer Country #5
Kirby Genesis #8
Pantha #2
Chew Secret Agent Poyo #1
Dancer #3
Peter Panzerfaust #5
Planetoid #2
Revival #1
Walking Dead #100
Youngblood #72
Bad Medicine #3
Atomic Robo Real Science Adventures #4
Bloodshot #1
Harbinger #2
#36 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@doordoor123 said:

Uh I got Swamp Thing at my store last week... did no one else get it?

I think one other person mentioned they got Swamp Thing last week. I'm still waiting for my copy.

#37 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

Punk Rock Jesus looks like fun.
BB

#38 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'm excited about Creepy, Eerie, and Revival, but I'll be picking up American Vamp, Swamp Thing, Harbinger, Shade, Batman and a few others. Good week.

#39 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing and Walking Dead for me.

#40 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Swamp Thing and Minutemen for me :D

#41 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14683 posts) - - Show Bio

when does before watchmen: rorschach come out?

#42 Posted by CaptainMexico (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll probably just be getting the batman issue.

#43 Edited by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@feebadger: you have a valid point there, but I'm tired of how it feels like we Christians are not treated with respect anymore.

#44 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1905 posts) - - Show Bio
@Miss_Garrick: Well, the title may seem odd, but not having read it, can we say it really is going to treat Jesus with no respect? It may hold him in very high esteem, even if doesn't actually bode with scripture. I find even non-Christians still hold a pretty high regard for jesus. 

Plus, (and as a Christian, I'm allowed to say this): Christianity has survived endless persecution, and most amazing of all, it's survived Christians!! (We have got to be the WORST advertisements Christianity has ever had! That includes me, and even some things I've written on here.) Jesus took mocking from people as he was dying a very cruel death. I think He can handle "Punk Rock Jesus." :)
#45 Posted by longbowhunter (7083 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

What is so offensive about Punk Rock Jesus? Is it the title, the plot or just the general use of him in a work of fiction?

#46 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting Batman, Swamp Thing, and Minutemen from this list. I'm definitely interested in Ant-Man as well though

#47 Posted by Mandrewgora (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Heck yeah a new Parker book!... Oh yeah and Batman too.

#48 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything: You have made a lot of good points!

#49 Edited by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: It's the mostly the plot, but also the use of him in fiction in general. It's a big peeve of mine when works of fiction have elements of Christianity worked in, like having comic superheroes travel to Heaven or Hell while, like it's no big deal. I'm not comfortable when that happens, but that's just me.

#50 Posted by k4tzm4n (44096 posts) - - Show Bio

@haw789 said:

my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...NuttyRich.com

O RLY?!

/throws ban hammer

Staff