• 56 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Absolute Batman: Dark Victory HC

Finally the second half of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale’s Batman epic is collected in Absolute format. This tome contains all 14 issues (#0-13) of Dark Victory in a beautiful over-sized format to show off Tim Sale’s striking artwork.

If you have the coin to spend, this hardcover collection should not be missed; especially if you already own the Absolute edition of Dark Victory’s precursor, Batman: The Long Halloween.

All-Star Western #9

All-Star Western ties into “Night of the Owls” with issue #9. This issue will peel back the curtain to reveal what the Court of Owls was up to circa the 1880s.

Additionally, Nighthawk and Cinnamon hunt down a group of killers and fall in love in this issue’s back-up story. How romantic.

Aquaman #9

Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis continue “The Other League” storyline in the pages of Aquaman. More secrets about Aquaman’s past before he was a member of the Justice League are revealed. In addition, Mera learns a startling truth about Aquaman’s past from Shin.

Batman Incorporated Vol. 2 #1

Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham revive Batman Incorporated in the “New 52” DCU. Talia has made her play, and now it’s up to Batman and the rest of his Bat-family to strike back. Plus: Batman and Robin face off against Goatboy, an assassin who, as the name implies, looks like a goat. Classic Morrison.

Cobra #13

A new era for the G.I. Joes has begun. The Joes have gone underground in order to stop Cobra. The question remains: who is now on the team to carry out the difficult task of taking down Cobra? Those answers, and more will be revealed in Cobra #13.

Fantastic Four #606

Black Panther returns to the pages of Fantastic Four! The Four travel to Wakanda to discuss the planet’s lack of Vibranium. What happens when the world runs out of one of its greatest natural resources? Jonathan Hickman and artist Ron Garney delve into that subject with Fantastic Four #606.

Flash #9

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato continue to introduce Gorilla Grodd to the new DCU. In this month’s installment, the Flash travels to Gorilla City for the first time ever.

We’ll also learn more details about “The Runners” and their ties to the Flash and the Speed Force.

I, Vampire #9

It’s time for the aftermath to “Rise of the Vampires,” where Andrew Bennett has become the new leader of the blood suckers. Meanwhile, the vampires begin their pilgrimage to their new homeland. Get pumped for a bunch of new characters and storylines to be introduced in this issue of I, Vampire.

Justice League Dark #9

Jeff Lemire becomes the new ongoing writer for Justice League Dark with this issue. Lemire has been killing it on titles like Animal Man and Frankenstein since the “New 52” relaunch; so we fully expect he’ll bring his unique brand of drama and humor to the pages of JLD to make the series something truly special.

Even if you haven’t read any of Justice League Dark before, this issue is a perfect jumping on point for new readers. Remember, kiddies, Lemire equals gold. ‘Nuff said.

Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison #1

Dark Horse kicks off a new mini-series starring Darth Vader, the Emperor and a newly introduced Imperial cadet.

It’s graduation day for the Imperial academy, but the celebration is cut short when a terrorist attack targets the tyrant leader of the galaxy and his right-hand man, Darth Vader. It becomes the duty of one brilliant cadet to put a stop to the attack.

Staff
#1 Edited by ravisher (665 posts) - - Show Bio

panthers is already classic. will be seeing that cover for years

edit:oh this isn't about covers

#2 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7497 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah finally. Aquaman and Flash #9.

#3 Edited by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

Of those 10 Aquaman and Bat Inc. are sticking out the most to me. Has the full list of comics coming out this week been posted yet?

#4 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8844 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list I am getting Flash issue 9

#5 Posted by Skaddix (3109 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravisher said:

panthers is already classic

will be seeing that cover for years

Agreed. I will be getting all of the above except Western. Might not get Vader either.

#6 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

JLD and either iVampire or Mind MGMT

#7 Posted by TheHeat (448 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be picking up Mighty Thor #14, Deadpool #55, and Amazing Spider-Man #686.

#8 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, I,vampire,, Allstatr western, Justice league dark, flash and GREEN LANTERN NEW GUARDIANS! :D

#9 Posted by Twentyfive (2745 posts) - - Show Bio

F4 and JLD for me!

#10 Posted by Johnnyjavavee (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman won't let us down on the FF right? I'm just a bit skeptical at the black panther part.. I just don't know anyhthing about him.. is this also the story that's gunna lead up to the Maestro coming into play??

#11 Posted by fables87 (918 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to read the Aquaman comic when it comes out on trade.

#12 Posted by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Witchblade 156 and the Buffy season 8 hardcover are my picks of the week.

#13 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash,Aquaman and All Star Western for me

#14 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk #52 should be on the list IMO. 

Eh, whatever though. ;P Although I have been holding off buying Frankenstein since I heard the first few issues where a Hellboy knockoff.

#15 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I am lookin for a series to get into, could I start with Flash #9 and not be confused?

#16 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (830 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc. and F4. Short week this week. Oh well. My wallet will still be fat this week.

#17 Posted by Mandrewgora (293 posts) - - Show Bio

F*ck Yeah Jeff Lemire!

#18 Posted by Zabilac (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@InfamousFish: You should be able to read #9 without getting too confused, but I would advise starting with #6 to get the full story. Anyway, if you do chose Flash, I hope you enjoy it!

#19 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc. 

And hopefully Justice League Dark. Jeff Lemire is one of the best.

#20 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm definitely getting Batman, Inc. #1.  I love Talia!

#21 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Victory was amazing - I felt it was better than the Long Halloween.

#22 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Shucks, another week where I see titles not in my hold list :( That Vader and Ghost Prison one looks SMOKING!

#23 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting 7 of these titles.

I looked up a preview of Fantastic Four #606 and must have seen an alternate cover. I didn't know this was going to be the Wakanda one. < trying so hard to hold back girlish squeal >

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, Batman Inc., Flash, and JLD for me.

#25 Posted by HempKnight757 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan: Yeah I was thinking about checking out Mind MGMT. If you don't check out that I suggest Resident Alien (another Dark Horse title) very good. #1 comes out Wednesday, but it started with a #0.

#26 Posted by saoakden (1011 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc looks good, Fantastic Four looks awesome, Flash yes, JLD maybe, i dunno not abig fan of the members currently in the title.

#27 Posted by HempKnight757 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Resident Alien #1

The Fury of Firestorm #9 crossover from JLI #9

Aquaman #9

Maybe JLD , Batman Inc. , Godzilla #1 , & maybe All-Star Western #9 if I get the rest of them.

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them are pretty good and I may buy them all.

#29 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio
@HempKnight757: I read the 3 free Mind MGMT Secret Files on Dark Horse's site, it seems really interesting. I'm trying to keep to a budget for my comics though, so I'm not sure...

I heard that Res. Alien was good, but yeah, I missed the #0. The last thing I need is even more titles I want to read as well, so I'll pass this time.
#30 Posted by deadpool25mm (575 posts) - - Show Bio

from this list Aquaman #9.

#31 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zabilac: Thanks! I need a new series to get into, Ultimate Spider-Man is good, but there is other stuff out there.

#32 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Busy week for me... no different from usual I suppose. All-Star Western, Aquaman, Batman Inc., Flash, I Vampire, Justice League Dark... considering Darth Vader based on initial reviews.

@InfamousFish said:

I am lookin for a series to get into, could I start with Flash #9 and not be confused?

I would agree with Zabilac... in interviews, the creative team has billed each of these issues as a sort of "done in one" approach that is leading to a larger picture... while the last issue really shows how the Flash got to where he begins this issue, there isn't anything in my mind that sticks out as essential plot to begin the story. I'd certainly recommend going back to catch up eventually, but only because it has been a fun ride.

@Mandrewgora said:

Yeah Jeff Lemire!

YES! I'm so happy that there are so many Lemire fans out there... the guy seriously rocks, I can't wait to see what he does with JL Dark... I'm sad he left Frankenstein, and I'm even sad Milligan switched off JLD... but with that said, I'm really hopeful that Lemire's run will blow my (already high) expectations out of the water.

#33 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skaddix: @ravisher: @Johnnyjavavee: The black panther story has been pushed over to the next issue. Theres a different cover and story for this week.

#34 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@HempKnight757 said:

@Adnan: Yeah I was thinking about checking out Mind MGMT. If you don't check out that I suggest Resident Alien (another Dark Horse title) very good. #1 comes out Wednesday, but it started with a #0.

Yeah, I plan on getting both of those.

@kingjoeg,Thanks for the news about the Fantastic Four issue. I'll still enjoy it without Black Panther, but I'll be really excited about next month's issue.

#35 Posted by The Stegman (22757 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc 
Aquaman 
Flash 
JLD 
I Vampire 
aaaaand...that's it.

#36 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and all-star western for me outta this list.

#37 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'm the only person in the world that can't follow or stand the flash comic as well as action comics. I'm actually having new 52 titles plucked from my pull list after I finish reading the rest of it. So far mainstays are batman, swamp thing, and auquaman, I also enjoy All star western for some reason but I don't read any of the extra stories in the back.

#38 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I think thats the wrong cover for Fan4# 606, the BP story starts in issue# 607.

#39 Edited by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish DC would print some other absolute editions besides the stories written by Loeb who re-uses his old stories. There are many greater series than Loeb's work.
Wrong cover and description on Fantastic Four btw.
BB

#40 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc (recently bought deluxe edition, uhhhhhh jizzzzz), Aquaman #9, All Star Western #9 (Variety in my pull list), Flash #9, and maybe I, Vampire and JL dark... I love lemire's work on Animal man, so might check this out, and I, Vamp sounds like a good jumping point.

#41 Posted by OldDude (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League Dark is the one to read this week. Lemire has the Midas touch...

#42 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Ditto on the Jeff Lemire love.

JL Dark, I, Vampire, and Mind MGMT are the only pulls on my list this week.

I am tempted by Batman Inc.

#43 Posted by Mucklefluga (2503 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc definately, flash defo and maybe ASM

#44 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Getting secret avengers.

#45 Posted by jemckinn214 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be getting:

Aquaman, Batman Inc., Fantastic Four, Flash

and maybe Justice League Dark. Maybe. I hear good things of Jeff Lemire.

#46 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of Fables is disturbing, especially since some of these get recommended every month even though they're only A books when Fables is an A+

#47 Edited by yo_yo_fun (639 posts) - - Show Bio

Good list this week:) A lot of them sound good!

If I had the money I would definitely get Absolute Batman: Dark Victory!

On this list I'm picking up: All Star Western, Aquaman & maybe Batman Inc.

#48 Posted by The_Gravix (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is awesome

#49 Posted by ME24601 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Marvel not putting out anything of note tomorrow?

#50 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

and Teen Titans #9.