• 54 results
Posted by erik_norris (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Action Comics #8

Grant Morrison and Rags Morales wrap up this series' first story in style with an oversized, 30-page issue. It's the Man of Steel versus Brainiac, with the fate of Metropolis hanging in the balance.

We're hoping for an epic conclusion to this storyline that has been unfortunately miss or hit to date. With that said, however, last issue was fantastic, so hopefully some of that greatness can rub off on this week's issue #8.

Animal Man #8

It's "Animal vs. Man, part 2." Buddy makes a stand against the Rot-infested animals that have come to consume the Baker family. But not everything goes as planned, leading Maxine right into the hands of the Hunters.

We haven't seen a bad issue of Animal Man yet, and we don't foresee issue #8 being the one to offset that trend. Viva la Animal Man!

Avengers vs. X-Men #1

Last week saw the release of Avengers vs. X-Men #0. This week sees the release of the first official issue of the series. We'll admit, AvX #0 was a little slow; it was essentially just a primer to set the stage for the two teams taking part in this epic throwdown. We're hoping now that that business is out of the way, the gloves with come off with this first issue. The Phoenix Force has arrived, signaling the rebirth of the mutant race or the destruction of earth. Which could it be?!

Daredevil #10.1

If you haven't been reading Daredevil, you are a fool. That may seem harsh, but it's a fact. Mark Waid's Daredevil relaunch has been consistently one of the best series coming out on a monthly basis. Now, Marvel, Waid and artist Khoi Pham are giving you the perfect opportunity to see what you've been missing. This issue also acts as the perfect setting stage for the upcoming Daredevil/Punisher/Avenging Spider-Man crossover, "The Omega Effect."

Fairest #2

Bill Willingham and artist Phil Jimenez continue the latest Fables offshoot series, Fairest. Sleeping Beauty has been awoken by her true love's kiss -- Ali Baba?! Yea, that doesn't make much sense, considering Baba is basically the Han Solo of fairy tales. He wouldn't know true love from a hole in the ground. Furthermore, the Snow Queen makes her presence known with chilling results. Thus far, Fairest has been one of the better new series to launch out of Vertigo. If you're a fan of whimsical tales, this is a series worth picking up.

Fatale #4

The fourth issue of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' crime saga wrapped in Cthulhu mythology sees release this week as the series steers towards the conclusion of its first arc. All the pieces are in place, Josephine and her lover are ready to execute their plan, but only one of them knows what they're up against. As the solicitation for this issue reads, "there will be blood."

Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery HC

Do our eyes deceive us?! The impossibly hard-to-find series by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely finally gets collected into a gorgeous hardcover collection. Spinning out of Morrison's work on Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo tells the story of Flex as he investigates the shady dealings of his former friend, The Fact, and a mysterious rock star that may hold the secrets to saving them both. This oversized hardcover collects all four issues of the series, as well as a special sketch section and recolored artwork. Must. Buy.

Hulk #50

The current Hulk series celebrates his 50th birthday this week. This issue by Jeff Parker and Carlo Pagulayan acts as a great jumping-on point, delivering an oversized issue that kicks off a new story with plenty of guest appearances, including Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Daredevil and more. Jeff Parker has been doing some great things with this series and now seems like the perfect time to jump aboard if you've been missing the party thus far.

OMAC #8

Dan Didio and Keith Giffen's OMAC comes to an end this week after only eight issues (*tears*). But this series is making sure it goes out with a bang. It's Checkmate versus Brother Eye, while Maxwell Lord leads a counter attack on Brother Eye and OMAC. This series was one of the New 52's pleasant surprises, making it all the more unfortunate that sales haven't been steady enough to justify its production. But you can do your part and pick up this final issue to tell DC you value good comics, whether they star Batman or Superman or neither.

Swamp Thing #8

More Swamp Thing goodness is on the way from Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette this week. After the absolutely stunning issue #7, it's going to be tough for Snyder and Paquette to live up to expectations with issue #8. However, we have complete faith in this dynamic duo. Alec Holland has finally accepted his fate as the protector of the Green and now he's taking the war to the Rot. Things are about to get all sorts of epic for this fantastic series.

Staff
#1 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I'm not getting any of these. xD

Then again, I WOULD get DD, but I don't like it when he's happy. Depressed Matt Murdock  > Optimistic Matt Murdock.

#2 Posted by kimjoshu (13 posts) - - Show Bio

SWAMP THING, HULK and AVENGERS VS X-MEN are on my pull list! WASSAP!

#3 Posted by The Impersonator (5500 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll look forward to meeting my top lawyer. =P

#4 Posted by salmy (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing
Animal Man
Daredevil
Fatale
Action

In that order, I've been kind of bored by Action

#5 Posted by _Draven_ (31 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking about A v. X... still not sure though.

#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics!

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7127 posts) - - Show Bio

@salmy said:

Swamp Thing Animal Man Daredevil Fatale Action In that order, I've been kind of bored by Action

Same here, I'm dropping Action after this issue. The rest of these books have been terrific and I'm eager to read them.

#8 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal man and Swampthing!!!

#9 Posted by hpwaz (206 posts) - - Show Bio

OMAC!! I shall miss you! :(

#10 Posted by pikahyper (12249 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a great DD cover.

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by fables87 (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Defiantly going to pick up Fairest if I see it in the stores.

#12 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah not one. Where the f**k is the winter solider?

#13 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics and Swamp Thing.

#14 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

You didn't throw the flash last week and I thought you weren't gonna put Swamp Thing in this week... Talk about saving the best for last lol

Swamp Thing and maybe Action Comics

#15 Posted by sparty-dbq (808 posts) - - Show Bio

I loooooooove Daredevil, but I haaaaaaaaate the point one initiative.

#16 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp thing,Action comics and Animal man for me

#17 Edited by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil

action comics

animal man

swamp thing

stormwatch

red lanterns

ultimate spiderman

venom

and maybe HULK 50

#18 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (832 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the first of every month. Animal man, Daredevil, Fatale, Swamp Thing, T-bolts and Venom

#19 Posted by Mandrewgora (297 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! Animal Man.

#20 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Im getting Swamp Thing Animal Man and the Daredevil Book...I love the cover for that issue!

#21 Posted by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Getting OMAC #8 and AvX #1, is going to miss OMAC, thankfully he'll be making a return in JLI #9 and join the team in #10 :)

#22 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2255 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man, Action Comics, Daredevil, maybe AvX, and... others?

#23 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

No Thunderbolts and Avengers Academy?

SHAME!

#24 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

i think im getting one of those titles...Avengers vs X-Men! lol

#25 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

FLEX MENTALLO IS THIS WEEK?

My budget is crying with pain but my heart is crying with joy. Manly tears of jay.

#26 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

The first four are on my pull list, great week YAY.

#27 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics #8 and Hulk #50 for me :)

#28 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics and Animal Man for me.

#29 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Might look into that Hulk...

#30 Posted by Loki2u (211 posts) - - Show Bio

Fatale for the win.

Excellent story. I can't put it down.

#31 Posted by Youngindy21 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll pick up Action Comics and AvX #1. I am still debating on whether to get Daredevil 10.1 because I am already reading Daredevil and i think point one issues are supposed to be jumping on points. Though not on here I will also probably be picking up Detective Comics. Wolverine and the X-men, and Batwing.

#32 Edited by Mercy_ (92759 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Fairest a continuation of anything or a brand new series?

#33 Posted by bladewolf (769 posts) - - Show Bio

I definitely will get Action Comics #8 and Avengers vs. X-Men #1

#34 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki2u: Totally agree Im lovin it as well. Have your read Incognito? That title is a brilliant Brubaker/Phillips title as well. Same with Criminal.

#35 Posted by sinestro_GL (3175 posts) - - Show Bio

ACTION COMICS!

#36 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, what happened to this cover for Flex Mentallo? I remember seeing it on Vertigo's blog and everything

#37 Posted by Mucklefluga (2570 posts) - - Show Bio

ASM!!!!!! VENOM!!!!!!!

#38 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Adnan said:

Wait, what happened to this cover for Flex Mentallo? I remember seeing it on Vertigo's blog and everything

the cover they used was the one originally solicited many months ago on Amazon

@The Dark Huntress said:

Is Fairest a continuation of anything or a brand new series?

it follows the female characters of Fables but it hasn't lasted long enough to know what it is, since each arc is about a different character sort of thing, I suspect some will continue off of Fables and others will take place before or during...the Sleeping Beauty story continues out of what she was doing in Fables though

#39 Posted by Billy Batson (58062 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, Daredevil is supposed to be emo not happy.
People should just wait for the Flex Metallo trade.
lmao at Omac being on this list.
BB

#40 Posted by thechessclub (503 posts) - - Show Bio

Omac. You have been a fun romp. You shall be missed=/

#41 Posted by LordXorn (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Flex Mentallo!

Flex Mentallo!!!

Flex Mentallo!!!!!

#42 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

I <3 Swamp Thing and Animal Man!........Hate Marvel crossover events. :/

#43 Posted by Lonestar9 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Plan to get several of these..when to find the time to read is a different problem.

Action Comics #8

Avengers vs. X-Men #1

Fatale #4

OMAC #8

Maybe Fairest 2, sounds interesting.

#44 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Action Comics!

This and I already got AvX #1 last week.

#45 Posted by DDangelico (221 posts) - - Show Bio

For me: Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man May pick up Daredevil too if my wallet allows it...

#46 Posted by WWAJfan (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom 15 baby , even if it aint in this list i'll kick ass Venom # 15 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!!, Daniel Bryan is so Over

#47 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Suprised nobody has mentioned wolverine and the x men 8. Also Amazing Spider-man 683 ENDS OF THE EARTH!

#48 Posted by p_rixx (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get what people see in OMAC? The comicbook is (was) rather boring and cheesy. and OMAC itself is kind of a big dumb fella. At least hulk is green, This guy looks like an 80's children cyberpunk character. OK, i've never even heard of it before the New 52, so i might be missing something... But still...

And since the series is being canceled why put it on the list? Obviously nobody was ready to pay for it then what would make them suddenly by the last issue (without owning the previous)? I don't see how it fits in a rather unbiased list.

#49 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio
@p_rixx: he's Asian enough said. static shock, mister terrific and OMAC was for the sake of diversity. 
#50 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9088 posts) - - Show Bio

I am getting Action Comics and Avengers Vs X-men #1. But I might get Hulk #50 also