• 55 results
erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

American Vampire #26

No Caption Provided

Scott Snyder and guest artist Roger Cruz bring you a new saga in the American Vampire universe. Our focus now shifts to Calvin Poole, survivor of the "Ghost War" arc in the Pacific.

Calvin has returned to America with a secret: he's now an American Vampire like Skinner and Pearl before him. And when traveling to Alabama to meet up with his brother, he soon learns his other half has a secret of his own...

Aquaman #8

No Caption Provided

Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis continue their "Other League" storyline in the pages of Aquaman. With Aquaman and Mera still trying to piece together the clues to figure out who/what sunk Atlantis, an army is gathering against them.

Meanwhile, Black Mantra has returned in a big way, slicing and dicing his way through every Atlantean he comes across on his way to an inevitable confrontation with Arthur.

Captain America and Hawkeye #629

No Caption Provided

As we inch closer to the release of the Avengers film, it only makes sense that we're seeing more comics starring the film's ensemble cast. Take, for example, Captain America and Hawkeye, which was previously known as Captain American and Bucky.

While it's said to see Cap and Bucky end to make room for Clint Barton's arrival, we're honestly not complaining that much because we get to see Cap and Hawkeye fight dinosaurs in this first issue. That's right, dinosaurs! This should be an entertaining comic if nothing else.

Daredevil #11

No Caption Provided

We come to the end of "The Omega Effect" crossover in the pages of Avenging Spider-Man, Punisher and Daredevil. This is for all the marbles. Will Spidey, Punisher and Daredevil be able to take down every crime syndicate in the Marvel universe with the Omega Drive, or will one of them succumb to temptation and keep the drive for themselves (this is mostly directed towards that jokester Punisher)?

To date, this mini event has been spectacular and we can't wait to see how it wraps up. And with the conclusion falling to the pages of Daredevil, we know this finale is in great hands.

FF #17

No Caption Provided

Spider-Man's worst nightmare has come true: Johnny Storm has moved in with him. After Johnny's near-death trip to the Negative Zone and beyond, he's returned for some much needed R&R, which he plans to get by crashing at Pete's place.

We can't see this going over so well. But with Jonathan Hickman writing it, you can bet this issue is going to be hilarious.

Flash #8

No Caption Provided

Flash has been pulled into the Speed Force and he learns he's not alone.

Enter: Turbine, a prisoner of the Speed Force who just wants outs.

Brian Buccellatto and Francis Manapul continue their amazingly poetic run on Flash and we can't wait to see where this all leads.

Footprints TPB

No Caption Provided

Our good friend Joey Esposito's first comic series, with fantastically dark artwork by Jonathan Moore, is collected in trade paperback. Footprints follows Bigfoot and his gang of cryptozoological teammates as they investigate the brutal murder of his brother, Yeti.

Featuring the Jersey Devil, Nessy, Megalodon and a few more surprises, Footprints paints these mythological creatures in a completely new, urban light. We've read the book and can tell you it's absolutely worth checking out.

Moon Knight #12

No Caption Provided

We come with heavy hearts to report that Moon Knight #12 is the final issue of Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev's series. But don't cry too hard. Bendis and Maleev plan to wrap up every narrative thread and loose end by the conclusion of this issue. This is the series' natural concluding point. Therefore, you can revisit this latest Moon Knight series as a nice, completed max-series starring our favorite superhero psychopath. We'll miss you, Moony.

New Deadwardians #2

No Caption Provided

In this writer's humble opinion, New Deadwardians is the brightest of the bunch in Vertigo's stable of newly launched books. It's equal parts hilarious and serious, with all the trappings to be an entertaining, long-form story. Dan Abnett and artist I.N.J. Culbard have crafted a unique vampire/zombie story, and that's saying something when considering how oversaturated pop culture is with both of those monstrous species.

Here in chapter #2, Inspector Suttle's murder investigation continues, leading him to some very interesting/deadly places. Finding the answers he seeks is literally a matter of life and death and could turn Deadwardian society on its zombified head.

Popeye #1

No Caption Provided

The spinach-lovin' sailor with abnormally large forearms returns to the funny books after a 30-year absence.

Eisner Award-winning writer Roger Landridge and artist Bruce Ozella bring us a new take on the classic character that's true to his roots. If you are at all fueled by nostalgia, put Popeye #1 on your pull list this week.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Bluefox170

DD #11 Team Jokester Castle.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DanialCarroll

I'll be reading 4 of those: Aquaman, Daredevil, Flash, and Moon Knight. Though I certainly won't miss Bendis' Cosplayman once its over :)

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By CombatSpoon86

slow and light wk. American Vampire, DD and FF

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Funrush

Holy crap, that Popeye is awesome.

Innate0912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5  Edited By Innate0912

Flash #8... and definitely Popeye #1.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Im not getting any of these, shucks...don't have the cash! Just have enough to get my Teen Titans #8 and Superman #8 :/

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#7  Edited By pingclang

Aquaman is easily the one I'm most excited for. Can't wait!

chroinkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By chroinkero

Flash and Daredevil from this list! Can't wait for both!

Also AVX V.S. which will hopefully hold me over on AVX until the the novels come out.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CitizenJP

Aquaman and Flash <3

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zackattack529

Flash, daredevil, aquaman justice league dark, I,vampire, uncanny xmen, and green lantern new guardians for me this week :)

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I'm getting Aquaman and Flash.

Though I have to disagree with Flash's place on this list. True, the art is gorgeous. But the storyline is severely lacking, and it utterly alienates fans of any previous run. I only read it to see the amount of damage done to my favorite characters.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bestostero

Aquaman is the only for sure title im getting on this list...I MIGHT get Flash if i have the funds for it...lol

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ijan092

well there are more cool stuff coming out this week but finally flash #8! and not to mention daredevil #11 :)

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By erik_norris

@Icarusflies said:

Though I have to disagree with Flash's place on this list. True, the art is gorgeous. But the storyline is severely lacking, and it utterly alienates fans of any previous run. I only read it to see the amount of damage done to my favorite characters.

The list isn't in any particular order, other than alphabetical...

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@erik_norris: Oh, I'm afraid by that I meant 'Flash doesn't belong on the list'. Sorry, my speech can be a little quirky.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

From this list I am buying FF and Flash

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By erik_norris

@Icarusflies: Ahh I got ya. And to that I say: you crazy ;)

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JamDamage

Man this is some BULLSH!T regarding Moon Knight. I am soooooo surprised that this book didn't take off. A Mallev/Bendis book that failed. It was just great. Something really really fresh. The take on Moon Kight was crazy as hell but cool and original, and the art by Maleev, sure he's an aquired taste, but it seems more people like him then don't. I loved it. I'm sad this book is going away because personally a lot of books are letting me down lately and this is one that has not. He's also not in Secret Avengers anymore either so I don't see us seeing him for a while.

Matt102255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Matt102255

aquaman and ff for me this week

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sparty-dbq

Let's see, off the top of my head, I'm getting AvX VS., Secret Avengers, New Avengers, Daredevil, X-Men Legacy, and Uncanny X-Men (by the way, is this supposed to be bi-weekly? Cripes, it started in November, and it's already up to #11.)

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21  Edited By RedOwl_1

I have DD, Flash, Aquaman and Teen Titans as leading of my pull list there's other I won't remember till Wednesday

PS: Somebody know how is Hawkman doing? I haven't picked up it since #6 :P

@Icarusflies said:

@erik_norris: Oh, I'm afraid by that I meant 'Flash doesn't belong on the list'. Sorry, my speech can be a little quirky.

Yeah, and I'm gonna be honest: I usually surrender at suspense but right now I care a F*** what happens to Barry :P (Meh he'll be ok isn't going to die right now, if he does, Wally comes >:D If doesn't I'll say I Told Ya) But I must admit: art is GORGEOUS

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22  Edited By fables87

AQUAMAN!!!!!

Avatar image for princess_dalia95
Princess_Dalia95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Princess_Dalia95

Wait, So is Teen Titans #8 a good comic to get this week?

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@Icarusflies said:

THANK YOU. Well, I don't think it 'utterly alienates fans of any previous run' but it's WAY overrated. Yes, I KNOW the art is pretty, but that doesn't forgive the sloppy storytelling.

parkhurrst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By parkhurrst

The New Aquaman looks Sick

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bladewolf

Aquaman #8 aaaaaaand....nothing else!

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#27  Edited By Queso6p4

Aquaman and Popeye for sure!

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ravisher

lol popeye

No Caption Provided

is it me or does hawkeye look black

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By GamerGeek360

The only one I'm getting on that list is Daredevil. Although, I'm most excited for Nightwing because my shop sold out last week and now I will have it waiting in my bag on Wednesday.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#30  Edited By Deadcool

FF!!

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Ganthetsward20

Its probably not a new thing to have spidey and the Human Torch hanging out, maybe they have even been roomies in the past but i'm interested in reading this weeks issue just to see how it plays out

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By SavageDragon

Aquaman and The Darkness# 102

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By revbucky

I like Daredevil #11; Captain America and Hawkeye #629; Aquaman #8; FF #17; and of course I must check out Popeye #1. PLUS my usual collection of favorites.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By kingjoeg

Flash 8. I have to say that on the first story arc the writting was a little lacking, but on the two part captain cold story it was really well done.

CaptainMarvell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaptainMarvell

Seriously? You list Popeye #1, but not Ultimates #9? Come on now. You talk about Hickman's work in FF 17, but then you neglect to mention the other book he's killing it in. Apparently this is the issue where the Ultimate Universe gets "pushed off a cliff". If you only buy one comic this week, it should be THIS one.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By longbowhunter

Fairly light week for me. All Star Western, Aquaman, Daredevil and Flash.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Danial79 said:

I certainly won't miss Bendis' Cosplayman once its over.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hatutzeraze

I am getting Popeye, New Deadwardians, Aquaman, Daredevil, Flash, and FF from this list.

Supercrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supercrush

Judgeing from the comments, it seems like not many people are reading American Vampire, which is a shame because it's fantastic. Best book on the list IMO.

ProRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ProRush

I keep hearing a lot about American Vampire so I think I'm gonna pick up the trade soon.

Avatar image for thewalkingcomicbookfan
TheWalkingComicbookfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash 8 for me. I think the art is brillant, and although I can understand where others are coming from with the writing, I'm just really enjoying it at the minuet.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By Mucklefluga

Flash And Popeye

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By sinestro_GL

He's strong to the finish, 'cause he eats his spinach, he's Popeye the GODDAMN Sailor Man!

Definitely will get my hands on it if I can.

Otherwise, it's Flash #8, and Superman #8 (which I will decide to drop or continue after reading it).

I also should start catching up with Aquaman.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#44  Edited By The Impersonator

Holy Dinos, Batman! They're hopping like rabbits.

I know. Run, Robin, Run!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Can't forget about this!

And of course, my personal must read of the week:

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By jinxuandi

Daredevil and Aquaman

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Reeeally hope Superman picks up this week.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By yo_yo_fun

It's Aquaman and All Star Western for me this week:)

Gordo789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Gordo789

I am pretty excited about Daredevil and Aquaman. Will pick up Flash, but am losing interest in that series; there's just something bland about it.

Avatar image for th3darkkn1ght24
Th3DarkKn1ght24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Th3DarkKn1ght24

Some good picks to bad I dont have the funds to get any of them lol... I'm currently invested in 5 series at the moment which is all I can afford as a jobless high school kid lol