10 Comics to Buy This Week: 3/7/2012

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By erik_norris

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

Action Comics #7

No Caption Provided

We finally get back to the Brainiac story in Action Comics #7. Metropolis has been captured and to save it, Superman must push himself like never before. Meanwhile, Steel continues to aid the cause from the ground floor, helping citizens stuck in the danger zone in a back-up story written by Sholly Fisch and drawn by Brad Walker.

Now that we're back to the present and not retreading Kal-El's first run-in with the Legion of Superheroes (as uniquely different as it many have been), Morrison can get back to building his epic introduction to the New 52 version of Brainiac.

Age of Apocalypse #1

No Caption Provided

The first issue of Age of Apocalypse, spinning out of the Dark Angel Saga in the pages of Uncanny X-Force, hits store shelves this week. Written by David Lapham and drawn by Roberto De La Torre, Age of Apocalypse looks to follow Jean Grey and Sabretooth as they continue to wage war against Weapon X.

Also, who are the X-Terminated? I imagine we'll be finding out in this hotly anticipated debut issue.

Animal Man #7

No Caption Provided

It's the start of a new arc in the pages of Animal Man. Welcome to "Animal vs. Man, part 1." With the Rot still hot on the Baker family's trail, Buddy and his son, Cliff, decide to share some quality father-son time.

Furthermore, Buddy also has a terrifying vision of things to come. To date, Jeff Lemire and Travel Foreman have been blowing us away with Animal Man, and we have no reason to believe this issue will be any different.

Fairest #1

No Caption Provided

The latest Fables spin-off series kicks off with Fairest #1. Fairest sets out to spotlight the female Fables of Bill Willingham's fantastical universe. The series plans to balance horror, humor and adventure, exploring the secret histories of Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Cinderella, the Snow Queen, Thumbelina, Snow White, Rose Red, and more.

For starters, the first story arc (six issues) follows the misadventures of Briar Rose and will be drawn by Phil Jimenez. If you consider yourself a fan of Fables, this is a series that you shouldn't miss.

Fatale #3

No Caption Provided

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips continue their latest crime saga wrapped in Cthulhu mythology. Thus far, this series has felt like home for Brubaker and Phillips, with touches of horror to make sure we aren't retreading the exact same ground that we'd find in Criminal.

We're still waiting for the kid gloves to come off and for Brubaker and Phillips to really cut loose with this series' horror elements. Hopefully that happens in issue #3, where Detective Walt Booker makes a significant sacrifice…

Hell Yeah #1

No Caption Provided

Eisner award-winning writer Joe Keatinge and artist Andre Szymanowicz tackle a series focusing on the next-generation super heroes of the Image universe. It was 20 years ago that super heroes first appeared and shook the very foundation of humanity. Now their offspring are running amok, fighting to claim their place in a world that's evolved beyond them.

Hell Yeah is set to "combine the over-the-top excitement of the original Image Comics launch with modern, innovative storytelling." The series kicks off with a giant-sized first issue to boot, featuring thirty-two pages of story without a single ad. All for $2.99.

Manhattan Projects #1

No Caption Provided

Writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Nick Pitarra reunite after working together on The Red Wing to start a brand new monthly series at Image called Manhattan Projects. This new series looks to shed light on certain aspects of history through a much darker, stranger lens.

For instance, what if the development of the first atomic bomb was just a cover-up for something even more sinister and foreboding? That's the kind of out-there thinking you can expect from Jonathan Hickman on this series. And if Hickman and Pitarra's work on The Red Wing is any indication, prepare for a mind 'splosion.

Swamp Thing #7

No Caption Provided

It's always a good week when an issue of Swamp Thing releases. Scott Snyder reteams with Yanick Paquette to continue the adventures of Alec Holland accepting his fate as the Swamp Thing. But while Alec struggles to accept his destiny with the Green, a new champion is rising to take the throne of the Bone Kingdom by Sethe's side.

Swamp Thing has yet to disappoint, and we fully expect that trend to continue with this week's issue #7. Things are just going to get darker and darker, and that's one of the reasons we love this series. Man, we are some sadistic S.O.B.s.

Toy Story #1

No Caption Provided

Everyone loves Toy Story. And if you don't, then you clearly have no soul. This new four-issue mini-series focuses on Woody, Buzz and the gang trying to survive Andy's new puppy, Buster.

Clearly, this series takes place far before the heart-wrenching Toy Story 3, a period in time when the toys' worst fears were being slobbered on by a playful pooch, not sliding to their death inside a molten-hot furnace. Man, Toy Story 3 got dark at times…

Venom #14

No Caption Provided

The "Circle of Four" mini event comes to a close with this issue of Venom. Rick Remender is joined by artist Tony Moore once again to wrap up this epic story centered around Venom, Red Hulk, X-23 and Ghost Rider.

The entire "Circle of Four" event has been outstanding so far, with solid characterization and some fantastic art from the series' rotating cast of pencillers. We really hope Remender and Moore can stick the landing to make this one of the best events Marvel has put out in recent memory.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Ugh darn it, I started reading Fables in preparation for "Fairest" and i'm not done yet, is it necessary to be caught up with Fables to read it? or can I just pick it up and jump right in??

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By X35

Looking forward to Fatale :D

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

ANIMAL MAN 
SWAMP THING 
HELL YEA 
FATALE
cant wait for MANHATTAN PROJECT 

I would check out Fairest but I think I should catch up on Fables first 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

so I don't have a soul, mmkay.
BB

Turkeysammich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Turkeysammich

Avengers: The Childrens Crusade #9 definitely.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mtrakos

Manhattan Project looks interesting

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By KainScion

only things good on the menu are the marvel issues.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cafeterialoca

You forgot RUNAWAYS VS. AVENGERS ACADEMY!

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DanialCarroll

I don't think I'll be reading any of those, sorry.

thanosrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By thanosrules

Winter Soldier #3!!

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12  Edited By MonkeyToe

Your missing out if you're not picking up Animal Man and Swamp Thing IMO.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lmothander

What do people think about Age of Apocalypse? Good pick up, or Marvel trying to capitalize on another world/dimension? I was originally excited about this but then realized that there is no shared continuity so is it really worth the extra $4...

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Suprman

Umm, Why isn't Winter Soldier on this list?

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Hello, where the X-men titles at?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Trodorne

Here is my list this week of comics people should get:

BOYS #64 (MR)	$3.99
ADVENTURE TIME #1 (2ND PTG) (PP #1009) $3.99
FERALS #3 (MR) $3.99
IRREDEEMABLE #35 $3.99
NEXT MEN AFTERMATH #41 $3.99 (returned to the original numbering of the old series)
MICE TEMPLAR VOL 3 #8 $3.99 (started reading a couple of issues right now and want to read this one coming up)
30 DAYS OF NIGHT ONGOING #5 $3.99 (surprisingly good vampire series. so far......)
Thats all im going to say on that. just dissapointed that Buffy is not coming out this week. LAME!
WWAJfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By WWAJfan

Venom # 14 will be Freaking INsane, cant wait for it XD

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@aztek_the_lost:  

@The Stegman said:

Ugh darn it, I started reading Fables in preparation for "Fairest" and i'm not done yet, is it necessary to be caught up with Fables to read it? or can I just pick it up and jump right in??

you shouldn't have to be caught up with Fables (presumably) but there's no way to know until it comes out

however, it's focusing on random characters per arc so I would think each arc is accessible...however, the last time we saw a significant development of Briar Rose was #107 and if the story is picking up from there (which I expect it will), you should probably be caught up on that...although, that story is stand-alone and the events preceding it with her that are relevant are in War in Pieces (#70-75) 

Thanks for the help! Currently I'm on issue 69, and have been reading them like crazy since january to catch up, I'll probably get the first issue to see how it goes and decide whether or not to add it to my pull list (been loving the series so far)
foxandwall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foxandwall

Animal man & Swamp Thing for me...

microwave25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20  Edited By microwave25

What a week!

Action Comics, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Fatale and Manhattan Project #1 which I can't wait to start.

People need to start getting more Image comics. They are honestly releasing the best titles right now and 2012 is going to be a HUGE year for them.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Animal Man, Fatale, Manhattan Project, Swamp Thing, Winter Soldier, Venom. And Maybe Hell Yea. Great wk this wk.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By kingjoeg

First week of the month is always the best. Theres an Ultimate Spider-man coming out aswell with Pichelli back as the artist.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KidSupreme

Ill go out and buy them right now :D

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By Ganthetsward20

I am getting 4/10 this week! Debated on the Toy Story one o=but figured it's be silly to buy it. I will glance it over when I go if my store has it.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

From this list I am getting Action Comics ,but Hell Yeah looks really interesting.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By redleigh86

OMG OMG OMG FAIREST IS OUT ALREADY?!

I have to get it ASAP!!

And "Age of Apocalypse" #1? They're bringing this story back? Gah, I'm so behind and was already behind, I'm never going to catch up! D:

cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cracker_jack

He's a Brainiac, Brainiac on the floor, and he's dancing like he's never danced before.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NXH

Probably check out Age of Apocalypse if I remember.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Maniac2312

Only two on there I am interested in are Fairest and Toy Story. Might be able to get Toy Story.....

MEATBALLIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MEATBALLIN

Really looking forward to more Animal Man and Swamp Thing!

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoboShark

Better than last weeks list.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zackattack529

awesome, i have action comics and venom on my list!

id also like to star mathattan projects. i think ima replace it with a book on my pull. i think ima drop Red lanterns. im a huge green lantern fan, but that book is BORING me. plus i saw a preview of this weeeks red lanterns, and the way peter milligan writes guy gardner is TOTALLY HORRIBLE! not even in character. and i only saw a 3-page preview! aha

i think that DC should cancel that series and give Shazam or Phantom Stranger or anyone in general his own book.

PunchDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PunchDance

Swamp Thing and Amazing Spider-man for sure. Will probably try Hell Yeah, Manhattan Project, and Toy Story too.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By RedOwl_1

I'm going to start picking up Animal Man :D

chroinkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By chroinkero

I'll be picking up Hell Yeah and Manhattan Projects. They both look really interesting!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#36  Edited By The Impersonator

@Edgeworth_11 said:

Hello, where the X-men titles at?

They have been X-Terminated. xP

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Excellent list. Gotta love Action Comics!!! Animal Man ... check. Venom ... check.

One of these days I've gotta get into Fables! (one of these days I gotta earn more cash!!!)

Mrakbarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrakbarman

UCSM anyone...? Pichelli's back....

Anyone...?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SavageDragon

@X35: Me too man i really Love brubaker/Phillips combo and loved the first two issues of Fatale.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By JairamGanpat

@KainScion:

Incorrect

@Mrakbarman:

*Waves hand over here* Me, me!!!

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SavageDragon

Swamp thing, Demon Knights, Fatale, Batman,

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Action Comics #7 for me :) I'm so excited to get it, as well as all the other stuff I'm getting.

TurianAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TurianAgent

Just Venom and ASM.

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kamionero

I'm very skeptical about Age of Apocalypse #1. A mutant book without mutants... seems boring.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ravisher

lol @ hell yeah

love the name

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts