• 51 results
Posted by erik_norris (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome back to 10 Comics to Buy This Week. As you're probably well aware, there are a metric crap-ton of comic books hitting shelves every single week. And for the common consumer, it's financially impossible to pick up everything. That's where this column steps in like your superhero savior, drawing your attention to 10 books worth your hard-earned dollars during any given week.

We not only going to spotlight tights and capes books, but also some indie titles off the beaten path, which, if all goes well, will broaden your reading horizons.

American Vampire #25

American Vampire #25 represents the final chapter of "Death Race," featuring Travis Kidd going up against Skinner Sweet for all the marbles.

In addition, expect some old timey vampiric friends to resurface and an ending that will surely leave you shocked. When has an issue of American Vampire ever disappointed? That's right, never. Buy this book.

Aquaman #7

Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis kick off a new storyline delving into the the mystery behind the destruction of Atlantis.

We'll be introduced to "The Hunter," a man who kills his prey for sport and trophies (think the movie The Pest, but hopefully a bit better). He's already secured a golden shield and helmet and now he's after a golden trident. But he's going to have to go through Aquaman to get it. But what's so special about Aquaman's trident? That's what we'll be finding out in Aquaman #7.

Avengers vs. X-Men #0

Marvel's latest event begins this week with Avengers vs. X-Men #0. Prepare yourself for the return of the Scarlet Witch. What could this mean for Hope, the mutant messiah? We're not exactly sure, but it can't be good.

If you want to be in on the ground flood of Marvel's latest blockbuster, be sure to pick up this issue. As a special bonus, the issue is being written by both Brian Michael Bendis and Jason Aaron, with art by Frank Cho.

Daredevil #10

It's time for Daredevil to trade blows with Mole Man. But while Matt deals with Mole Man's grave robbing scheme, the cracks in his emotional facade start to reveal themselves. Will this be the issue where Matt finally comes to terms with the emotional roller coaster he's been on over the last few years? Possibly. But we'll be honest, we really, really like the happy Matt Murdock.

FF #16

It's the big epilogue to the Doom and "Forever" storylines that have been tearing through the pages of FF and Fantastic Four over the last few months. This is the beginning of a new direction for the Future Foundation and Marvel's first family. Be here.

I, Vampire #7

Hey, look! It's another vampire series in this week's 10 Comics!

Continuing the story from Justice League Dark #7, I, Vampire #7 represents part two of "Rise of the Vampires." The vampire invasion Andrew Bennett has long feared has come to pass, now there's a loss of order on earth with vampire rising up against humanity. Will Andrew be able to restore the balance?

Justice League Dark #7

After the events of I, Vampire #6 where vampires across the world have lashed out, Madame Xanadu and her team set to bring order to all the chaos. This issue of Justice League Dark represents part one of the mini "Rise of the Vampires" event taking place in the pages of Justice League Dark and I, Vampire.

With both Justice League Dark and I, Vampire being great series in DC's stable, this event should produce plenty of thrills for readers of both books. And if you're new to both JLD and I, Vampire, now's the perfect time to pick them both up. Trust us, it's completely worth it.

New Deadwardians #1

Vertigo kicks off a new series by writer Dan Abnett and artist I.N.J. Culbard. While the comic industry currently has an influx of vampire and zombie books, this one is still definitely worth a look.

In post-Victorian England, the upper class have willingly turned themselves into vampires to escape the lower class of zombies. And stuck in the middle is Chief Inspector George Suttle, a detective investigating the murder of a young aristocrat that's washed up on the banks of the Thames. The investigation will take Suttle from the darkest sewers to the royal halls, all the while revealing the rotten core at the center of it all.

Secret Avengers #24

While trapped in an Automaton city in the center of the earth, Hawkeye's leadership skills are put to the ultimate test after an Avenger bites the bullet. Will Father and his Descendants be able to see their plan for robot evolution through to completion? Plus, a new player joins the Secret Avengers squad, but will her/she be able to save the team before it's too late?

The Walking Dead #95

As we inch ever closer to the big 1-0-0, Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard continue the "A Larger World" arc as our favorite group of zombie apocalypse survivors are welcomed into a new community, lead by an all too charismatic leader. But Rick seen this song and dance before, so should he and the other prepare themselves for another Governor scenario? All signs point to yes...

#1 Posted by Mrakbarman (65 posts) - - Show Bio

just daredevil for me i think :(

#2 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list I am getting Avengers Vs. X-men #0

#3 Edited by entee (52 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys didn't put this on the list, but I'm so excited for of Manapul's art on the Flash.

#4 Posted by skaarason (680 posts) - - Show Bio

from the list avx #0 , TWD  and daredevil  

also the new arc in superman starts  

flash 7 
uncharted 5 
 new avengers 23 
  uncanny x-force 23  also this week 

#5 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

justice league dark, ivamp, and aquaman for me.

how the heck is flash NOT on this list though!?!

#6 Posted by garrettsgonewild (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League dark #7!

#7 Posted by CitizenJP (625 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman <3

#8 Posted by fables87 (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

AQUAMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by DrewHLMW (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, daredevil & avengers vs x-men

#10 Posted by TurianAgent (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoo boy, big week for me. Aquaman, AvX, The Flash and Uncanny X-Force and maybe Secret Avengers.

#11 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529: @entee: Because Flash ONLY has Manapul's art going for it. He can craft some phenomenal scenes, but his ability to string them together into a smooth and coherent story is... eh.

Also, once again SEVERELY disappointed at the lack of Morning Glories on this list. Though EXTREMELY happy to see I, Vampire getting it's due respect. And American Vampire, but it doesn't need the exposure as much as I, Vampire does from what I can tell. Nothing against it though, because it is also quite excellent.

#12 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

i am so hype for Avengers vs X-Men!

#13 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

NO. YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE HAPPY MURDOCK.

I want depressed Matt back so bad. xD

#14 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and JLD for me.

#15 Posted by sparty-dbq (849 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm flying to Arizona on Wednesday, so I won't get my books until the start of next week. Unless there are any good shops in the Mesa area. Preferably near where the Cubs play their spring training games.

#16 Posted by CombatSpoon86 (816 posts) - - Show Bio

American Vampire, Daredevil, FF and Uncanny X-force follows a modest week.

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn none of these are on my pull list. For me its gonna be Superman #7 and something that costs $5.99...

#18 Posted by BillyFamine (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually looking forward to Batman Dark Knight.

#19 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@entee said:

You guys didn't put this on the list, but I'm so excited for of Manapul's art on the Flash.

agreed!!

#20 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for TWD #95. Issue 100 can't come soon enough!!

#21 Posted by CrashLanden (120 posts) - - Show Bio

DC. DC. Marvel. Marvel. Marvel. DC. DC. DC. Marvel. Walking Dead.

Boring.

#22 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs. X-Men? Really? Sell-outs.

#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

From this list I am getting Avengers Vs. X-men #0

You, me and millions of other people!

#24 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch said:

@zackattack529: @entee: Because Flash ONLY has Manapul's art going for it. He can craft some phenomenal scenes, but his ability to string them together into a smooth and coherent story is... eh.

Also, once again SEVERELY disappointed at the lack of Morning Glories on this list. Though EXTREMELY happy to see I, Vampire getting it's due respect. And American Vampire, but it doesn't need the exposure as much as I, Vampire does from what I can tell. Nothing against it though, because it is also quite excellent.

its a fun story. and i mean thats really 65% of why people read comics. is because of the art. like take aquaman and daredevil for example. why are they the top 10 of the week and not flash..aquman has cool art and so does daredevil but there story isnt mind blowing. especially aquman. first arc geoff touches base on how he's the least popular hero and he fights a bunch of fish they feels compassion after defeating them. big deal? and im not saying flash has a better story but it should be in the top 10 this week better than FF at least..but hey...its not my list. but im just sayin...

#25 Posted by astrid12 (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Big week for me this time. American Vampire. I, Vampire. JLD. Flash, Aquaman, AvX#0. Daredevil. Moon Knight. Daken. oh man, I'll be broke this week.

#26 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529 said:

@The Mighty Monarch said:

its a fun story. and i mean thats really 65% of why people read comics. is because of the art. like take aquaman and daredevil for example. why are they the top 10 of the week and not flash..aquman has cool art and so does daredevil but there story isnt mind blowing. especially aquman. first arc geoff touches base on how he's the least popular hero and he fights a bunch of fish they feels compassion after defeating them. big deal? and im not saying flash has a better story but it should be in the top 10 this week better than FF at least..but hey...its not my list. but im just sayin...

Daredevil has had EXCELLENT execution, it's not often that a superhero can go a whole issue without villains and still be as emotionally charger.

And do not even try to say Aquaman was the least popular before. MAYBE outside comic fandom, but he had PLENTY of fans. And honestly, I don't think Aquaman is THAT great either, but definitely better than The Flash, And it's hard to be fun when I'm trying to figure out when the hell is going on every few pages. And art isn't always as important as you'd think. The amount of importance each part has varies a surprising amount from person to person. And frankly, something needs to have both right to be great, if it's only got one right and not the other, it can't be more than halfway good.

#27 Posted by bladewolf (874 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman #7!!!!!!

#28 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Im sorta refusing to get into the crazyness that is the AvX. I was hopeful but I never read any of last years big marvel events and I dont feel like I missed anything in what I read since it ended and now. So I think I'll skip this money grubbing even and wait to see what others think of it. If everyone says its good I may get hard covers. DC is where its at for me, plus IDW and a few Image stuff. Transformers:Robots in Disguise will come out this week. Really loving that right now. I wish others felt the love for it :/

#29 Posted by VIN31 (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Mighty Monarch: well to each his own then. like i said im just suprised that flash got beat out by FF or Avx #0 well..actually i can see why avx 0 would be up there. because comicvine is pormoting the big event bla bla bla but still i doubt tha title is any bettter than these. BUT its not my list so i will stop comlianing now..and i understand art isnt as important as storytelling. but im just saying in comics its more than half the reason we buy the comics. its forsure the only reason why people are buying that stupid justice league title i can tell you that much lol

#31 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash #7

#32 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Another Vampire book by Vertigo?
Are kidding me? Avengers vs. X-Men #0 seriously? A freaking event? A marvel one? There's Scalped #57 coming out this week and you suggest Avengers vs. X-men? Both are written by Aaron but only Scalped matters.
BB

#33 Posted by NXH (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@CombatSpoon86 said:

American Vampire, Daredevil, FF and Uncanny X-force follows a modest week.

Is it the conclusion to the dreaded Trail of Fantonex arc?

#34 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@zackattack529: It's not 'more than' half the reason, far closer to exactly half. Art is mostly what makes the decision on whether or not to buy a series in the first place, but its the writing more often that decides whether or not you stick with it.

#35 Posted by feargalr (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna be a pretty alright week me thinks

#36 Posted by CaptainMarvell (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Top ten comics for the week and you don't have Ultimates #8 on here? Is this a joke?

#37 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Wheres Flash and Teen Titans?

#38 Posted by erik_norris (106 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Personally, I'm a HUGE Scalped fan. But I didn't include it solely because it's not an optimal jumping-on point for new readers. We're basically a few issues from the curtain close. This feature is meant to educate and diversify people' interests in comics more than just say here are the ten best books of the week. These are just 10 books you should have your eyes on because they could be awesome.

As for AvX #0, well... a superhero event, while not to everyone's taste, should be featured. At least at its onset. We are a primarily superhero focused site to begin with.

#39 Posted by supercracker42 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman continues to SHOCK me as to how much I'm enjoying the title. It's my favorite of the New 52 so far, with Johns writing a taut, engaging story, and Reis has firmly planted himself at the top of the DC heap of artists. It's the kind of comic that makes me long for "new comic book day"!

#40 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik_norris:

Likewise. Are you going to feature it when the last issue comes out (by telling to pick up the first issue/trade and start from there)? And you recommend the latest issues of American Vampire and The Walking Dead two other creator-owned series but shouldn't new readers also start out with the #1 issue since you rarely can just jump on a creator-owned series (not so sure about American Vampire since I only read the first trade)? It's better to start from the beginning to make the reading even better.

Superhero comics are fine and most/some of the events are too. AvX #0 has a very little chance of "being cool" since the concept doesn't make any sense. Why are the teams fighting. And because the last big Marvel event (Fear Itself) made marvel fans cringe and regretting that they invested money on it.

BB

#41 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash is greeeeaaaaaaattt too. One of the best books from the new 52 for sure.

I though Avengers Vs X-men 0 was drawn by JRJR, this changes everything!!!!!!!! Might have to pick it up now.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17968 posts) - - Show Bio

Only thing Im interested in from this list is Aquaman.

#43 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

@sparty-dbq: Did a quick search, and came up with this: http://bit.ly/HbjMgI

Hopefully a shop close to you, enjoy !

#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35065 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:
NO. YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE HAPPY MURDOCK.  I want depressed Matt back so bad. xD
This, always this!!
#45 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

@BillyFamine said:

I'm actually looking forward to Batman Dark Knight.

it's not on today's list. =P

#46 Posted by Starleafgirl (1435 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men: Legacy #264 will feature a return of Chamber of Generation X! Whether it's just a page or something more, I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.

#47 Posted by chroinkero (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really feeling the hype for AVX, probably because I don't understand why they are fighting at all, and will probably wait until its in novel form to get it. Why is there so much hate on The Flash? It's not amazing but I'm really liking it and hopefully as they redo old villains it will get better.

Flash #7 and Daredevil #10

#48 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Daredevil certainly rock!

I'm checking out The New Deadwardians as well, sounds intruiging.

#49 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@chroinkero: I hate on the The Flash BECAUSE it's both not 'amazing' and constantly praised as amazing. It's a decent and fun series, but it is not HALF as amazing as most reviews seem to hype it being.

#50 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Abnett? Like the Warhammer guy?