Follow

Barry Allen

Character » Barry Allen appears in 5080 issues.

Having discovered his mother murdered and his father blamed for the act, forensic scientist Barry Allen sought to clear his father's name and find the real killer. After being doused in chemicals and struck by lightning, Barry was granted the gift of super-speed. Now he protects his hometown of Central City as The Flash, the fastest man alive and founding member of the Justice League.

Flash max speed?

StreetFigther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StreetFigther

Ok so I'm pretty sure this has been done before but i couldn't find the thread, even searching on Google. So if it has been done, just link me the thread.

Anyway I was wondering, sometimes I read that the flash runs at lightspeed, but sometimes i read that he is waaay FTL (once i've read that he was 13 trillion times FTL)

So, how fast can the flash run? Can he run at whatever speed he wants?

Oh and , I was wondering also, is it true that he outraced a teleporter? How long was the race??

Thanks.

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

@StreetFigther:

Fiction Physics: He's faster than light, but they didn't say the exact numerical value of his speed

physics: <SOL

StreetFigther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StreetFigther

@GodDamnIronMan: So we don't know about his max speed?

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

Yupe, it has stated that he's faster then light...but didn't say by how much or an exact figure

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MonsterStomp

@StreetFigther: He had to travel 9.4 million times faster then the speed of light when saving a cities population from a nuclear explosion.

StreetFigther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StreetFigther
    No Caption Provided

@MonsterStomp: Wait... here it is stated that when he saved the 500.000 people from the nuclear explosion he was running at 13 trillion times the speed of light . Is it correct?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MonsterStomp

@StreetFigther: I would take 13 trillion times the speed of light any day. The source I read assumed that he was carrying 2 people at once. I'll screen shot my source.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonsterStomp

@StreetFigther: Sorry. I couldn't find that source but I did copy the following statement I made some time ago from the same source.

"Speed of light = 186,000 miles per second (thats seven times around the equator in a second)

source - http://www.answers.com/Speed%20of%20light

Total distance flash travelled to bring one set of people to safety - 35 * 2 = 70 miles.

Therefore TOTAL distance travelled is - 70 * 250,000 people = 17,500,000 miles. (assuming he moved two people at once)

Time taken to do that was - 0.00001 microsecond (and 1 microsecond is 1 millionth of a second)

source - http://www.answers.com/microsecond

So time in seconds is - 0.00001 / 1,000,000 = 0.00000000001 seconds

So the speed, flash was travelling at was - 17,500,000 / 0.00000000001 = 1750000000000000000 miles per second.

So if the speed of light was 186,000 mile per second.

Flash was travelling at - 1750000000000000000 / 186000 = 9400000000000 times the speed of light.

Which is 9,400,000 million times the speed of light."

StreetFigther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StreetFigther

@Billy Batson: Thank you!

@MonsterStomp: Ok !

Zhege

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zhege

@monsterstomp The scan says he took one person and sometimes two. At two you're correct, but it wasn't just two. At the person who calculated 13 trillion he over-balled the population of 500k * (2/3) (for an average of half and half of taking one and two at a time). It should be 12.5 trillion (can be done using your math and substituting the amount of people for 333k). Not sure why the 13 trillion used 354k population, having some more carried single rather than double.

Edit: Edited population count to 2/3 instead of 3/4.

cryos82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a question, how is possible to carry people at this velocity whitout kill them?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@cryos82 said:

Just a question, how is possible to carry people at this velocity whitout kill them?

this is how:

No Caption Provided

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By fodigg

@cryos82 said:

He probably vibrated them the same way he does himself so they just pass through stuff and as for whiplash and the like, we have to assume he has some sort of protective anti-inertia field. Most superspeed/blasting superpowers would require something like that.

cryos82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: often also in fiction there are some reason, like speedforce, ecc...

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@cryos82: there might be a reason, but its probably not logical.

KidCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah engineering!!!
    Sooo, 1 at a time I'll go through this in the most simplistic and non-convoluted manner I can while trying to maintain the science.
    First let me say, the comic is really pushing it, and he needs to have 2 sets of powers (as well as the innate understanding of them due to the restraints of the speed control power) we don't ever hear mentioned for the atomic bomb event speed to be possible: Quantum mechanics/Relativity and an innate faculty to match the resonant frequency of anything not faster than he is on a quantum level- the minimal amount of physical entity required in any reaction.

But before that let's see something more realistic: In this episode (before he is attuned to the speed force)
    y(without this)outube.com/watch?v=k9jZ_qcxivc
    We see him go around the circumference of the earth in approximately 8 seconds shortest before his half second bursts, it is before he come in contact with the speed force and that means he traveled 40,075 km/ 8 seconds then 40,075/ .5 seconds (he hit Lex about 4 times in 2 seconds near the end) this puts him at ~1/50th to 1/3rd the speed of light before the Speed Force (B.SF), without doing quantum theory speed. (but attaining quantum level acceleration). He says "I can never go that fast again" (So i'll assume that is the fastest he was used to going for most tasks and with good reason.) We see that he abides by the known laws of physics(B.SF) and is slower than the speed of light for most tasks, which due to e=mc2 means his mass should remain stable.

BUT, we learn 2 things from Flash: Rebirth #4 (2009), "Barry created the Speed Force with lightning, chemicals, and forward momentum but the Speed Force also existed in every single time period and dimension" This is where quantum mechanics and relativity come into play...And probably the only application for something called Planck time which along with Planck length make up Planck units which we believe to be the smallest units of time and space. Meaning he has the ability to utilize all the subtleties of Quantum Mechanics(which no one in science truly understand) and that if he were to approach the Plank time, without gaining all the the mass of m = e/c^2 threshold (altered if something accelerates through c rather than goes at c and and accelerates from their (but this requires they no longer have mass)), time would be brought (relatively) to a stand still and that mass would be reverted into loose Higg's boson which would act on some form of Tachyon (maybe a neutrino if you believe in that sort of theory) that would allow for (if he also has a trans-matter flashpoint (a pun/wordplay) power ) him to change his quantum make up. This can be done in many ways: losing all his mass temporarily through being stripped of all his bosons(likely cartoon-wise), losing it permanently by becoming part of the fabric of time space(the most probable comic wise), or majgicks...just kidding... or a mix of the first and one of the dimensional theories which state that mass when not in particle form here appears elsewhere in particle form and vise-verse but gets complicated in multiverse (so mentioned because it's cool, i don't understand it enough yet ...my math skills still call it majgicks).

But then we throw in the time travel loop (forward AND backwards) there I get a lot lost... so that's all for now (in theory...very faulty theory).

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As fast as Flash needs to go is how fast lol.

shadyways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shadyways

@vaeternus: YUP LOL.

The question should be, How fast does The Flash want to run?

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the big issue with the whole 13 trillion times faster than light Korean Incident.....it says not once, but twice in the issue that he is not even traveling at light speed. It's a time manipulation feat

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaeternus

@vaeternus: YUP LOL.

The question should be, How fast does The Flash want to run?

lol I know right? Heck, half the time he's trying to NOT go too fast....

shadyways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: yh lol. They even explain mention this quite often in dc media.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Gizmorino

It was mention that he was below light-speed in the bomb explosion saving feats.

But how fast fast flash can go or his max speed is how fast he thinks he can go, he moves at any speed possible

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It was stated that he was below light-speed in that bomb explosion feat.

But how fast flash(wally, barry and bart) can go or his max speed is how fast he thinks he can go, he moves at any speed thinkable/possible

Avatar image for kamenriderhellhound
    KamenRiderHellhound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: As far as I can tell really... when The Flash is carrying someone, the barrier that he has that let's his body not be torn apart from the air friction... actually ENVELOPS the person he's carrying, thus preventing them from being harmed like they normally would moving at those speeds.

CapNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cryos82: he has a kinetic shield around him when running to protect from friction and speed damage, the shield spreads to the people he carries

Shock-flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shock-flash

ITS probably above 600 miles per hour as its clear in the flash season 1 episode 17 the trickster places a speed-o-bomb on the wrist of flash and Trickster's dad (james jessy) say's to berry (flash) that " IT will explode if your speed is below 600 miles per hour and same thing happens when you try to remove it!)

actually I'm a super-flash-lover so I byhearted all the dialogs of all episodes and I SERIOUSLY CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 2 RELEASING ON 6th OCTOBER AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

shahidmaqsood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash's speed is almost infinite because he can go as fast as the writer wants him to be.

Also,Flash's power is to tap into the Speed Force (The essence of speed),So,he can cross even the light speed.

Want to hear some more awesome facts about Flash(Barry Allen),Go here:-

http://passionateviews.blogspot.com/2015/10/17-stunning-and-uncanny-views-about.html

Avatar image for rajuhn hamilton
    rajuhn hamilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cryos82: flash has something that's like an aura that protects him from getting hurt or damaged while he runs at those speeds, when he carries people it protects them as well. I think its called his speed aura or something like that

hulksmash134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hulksmash134
    No Caption Provided

@streetfigther: He did outrace teleportation. Flash managed to go the end of the universe and back in under a plank time, which is the time it takes for light to travel a plank length which is 1.6 x 10-35 m or 10-20 times the size of a proton. This is the shortest distance possible, and light can do that in plank time, the smallest measurement of time that has any meaning, and is equal to 10-43 seconds. This is the time it takes for teleportation, Flash beat teleportation and went past trans time velocity, he travelled to the end of the universe and back under a plank time, he beat instantaneuos teleportation. He went at at least 23 tretacillion times the speed of light (or 23,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) this means that he could be anywhere or everywhere, at anytime or everytime, he could be in all the spacetime continuums at once. Watch this video, it should help you understand how fast the flash really is and that speed is his game, not anyone else's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4O-5eV4LiA

The_Amazing_Fastest_Batman_Alive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Please pardon the language.

Rmkarain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"At a hair's breadth short of the speed of light" that does not mean AS fast as the speed of light or TIMES as fast as the speed of light. It must be time manipulation. He probably achieves higher percentages of reaching closer to the speed of light when he goes "faster" but in reality he just slows time. He doesn't need to exceed the speed of light, but just come near it because then it's not the calculation of his "speed" anymore, it's time that's slowed. I don't know just a theory.

HughJarsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barry Allen can go as fast as he wants too, he is the source of the speedforce and generates it with every step he takes. Wally, Bart and Jay have limits but Barry has none

ggesaygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi everyone! I've read that, once, flash was in a desperate moment and tried to control the speed force and as he couldn't manage to do it, he used a takion device and the velocity nine, when he already was super fast and, unexpectedly, he reached, and passed, a googolplex times the speed of light (the number googol has 100 zeros after it, and it looks like this: 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, now beyond that is the googolplex, which is a one followed by a googol zeros. A googolplex is actually a useless number to the scientific community because it exceeds the number of particles in the universe).

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jigen879

@streetfigther: No he does not outrace a teleporter. There in that comic he was helped by all terrestrial and his friend did the radio waves, the radio waves, with the addition of speed given to him he was able to travel in time. So no

ChomP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ChomP

although probably. this IS the reason i'm starting to dislike the flash, and the additional power sets he gets. HE may be able to move at that speed, but sudden acceleration /deceleration of 13 TRILLION times the speed of light would literately FOLD anyone into a pancake.

how on gods green earth does he stop from 13 trillion times the speed of light in 30 miles? when he generally slide stops? i mean what material on earth can withstand that, i understand the friction less suit but he needs grip on the soles of his feet other wise he would be able to move. so what the hell is on the soles of his feet to handle that rapid and acceleration and deceleration

also no counted in that math above is acceleration / deceleration is stopping and starting 1 000 000 times. it's completely ludicrous.

@fodigg said:
    @cryos82 said:

He probably vibrated them the same way he does himself so they just pass through stuff and as for whiplash and the like, we have to assume he has some sort of protective anti-inertia field. Most superspeed/blasting superpowers would require something like that.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jigen879
    Batfleck2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um... why are you complaining about The Flash running 13 times faster than light without dying? He's literally protected by a living fucking field. The Speed Force. My God, how many of you guys actually read comics? The Speed Force protects him from stuff like that, it's the reason he can go faster than light without turning into dust. Stop your moaning.

kingsquonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hulksmash134:

There is a high level of awesomeness in all of this

@streetfigther: He did outrace teleportation. Flash managed to go the end of the universe and back in under a plank time, which is the time it takes for light to travel a plank length which is 1.6 x 10-35 m or 10-20 times the size of a proton. This is the shortest distance possible, and light can do that in plank time, the smallest measurement of time that has any meaning, and is equal to 10-43 seconds. This is the time it takes for teleportation, Flash beat teleportation and went past trans time velocity, he travelled to the end of the universe and back under a plank time, he beat instantaneuos teleportation. He went at at least 23 tretacillion times the speed of light (or 23,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) this means that he could be anywhere or everywhere, at anytime or everytime, he could be in all the spacetime continuums at once. Watch this video, it should help you understand how fast the flash really is and that speed is his game, not anyone eles's

kingsquonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hughjarsole:

"Barry Allen can go as fast as he wants too, he is the source of the speedforce and generates it with every step he takes. Wally, Bart and Jay have limits but Barry has none"

This is simply a massive misread of what it means to "generate" the speed force. Barry doesnt have control of it.. And your position on being limitless doesn't make any sense. The amount of speed force available would to anyone (Barry, Wally, Bart) would always be in proportion to what has been generated (even this assumes that each step doesn't generate a nearly infinite amount of speed force. But in any event, there is no evidence that Barry has more access to the speed force than any other character and substantial evidence that his connection, control, and experience with utilizing the speed force is lower than Wally's. It's like somehow you believe that generating it means he owns it, controls it, or wields it better... All of these are untrue. Wally controls it and wields it better and Bart actually is the character who "contains" the entirety of the speed force.

hulksmash134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingsquonk: Thanks but there were some mistakes in it that I had to correct, here is the corrected version:

He did outrace teleportation. Flash managed to go from the moon back to Earth in one Planck instant, which is the time it takes for light to travel one Planck length which is 1.6*10^-35 m or 10^-20 times the size of a proton. This is the shortest distance possible, and it takes light 5.39*10^-44 seconds. This is also the time it takes for teleportation to occur, Flash beat teleportation and went beyond trans time velocity and beat instantaneous teleportation. To do this he must've travelled at a speed of at least 23 tredecillion times that of light (or 23,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) this means that he could be anywhere at anytime, or everywhere at every-time, he could be in all of the space/time continuums at once. Watch this video, it should help you understand how fast the Flash really is and that speed is his game, not anyone else's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4O-5eV4LiA. Although he did have some help :)

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jigen879

Wait a moment.

This is the complete image

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-68976024936a55756bb8bcdfd9652749-c?convert_to_webp=true

The bomb explodes at 13.57 so they would all be dead if he had done everything between 13.57 and 13.57 in 0001. That is, he did not start moving people to 13 57. But before

Only we know that bomb explodes at that hour but we do not know when he starts his operation

quantomNOOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saying if the flash can move at speeds faster than an attosecond, can somewhat time travel through extensive use of the speed force and regenerate time-age therein cannot he practically become a god. If he has infinite speed he has infinite energy and infinite energy is infinite power. The flash can literally take control of the whole DC multiverse before any other of the heroes can even take a breath. The only thing that stops him are his stupid morals

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
    FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His top speeds can’t be quantified. Their beyond the concept of time, thus said speed is immeasurable

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.