#1 Edited by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I'm not talking about Evil Reed and Sue whoring it up with that failure at life named Namor. I mean the initial, Millar stuff. That is the PERFECT update of a concept and team that is CONSTANTLY considered outdated. It got rid of the hokey Silver Age science, and actually made Doom reasonably seem like a real threat, as opposed to (in Eastern European accent) "Ahh, I am Doom, and.....ugh.....I am evil!!!....and I will......kill you and stuff!!!!!! Blah Blah Blah (in Eastern European accent). Even Annihilus(who was already awesome) and Mad Thinker are made more modern and less hokey. THAT is a feat to behold, especially with the Four's rogues.

#2 Posted by comkid100 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read quite alot of the ultimate fantastic four stuff and I have to say that I did like most of it. but the inhumans story arc was too brief in my opinion. Doom though was kind of lame with his goat legs, maybe it's the fact that he's been an established badass ruler for so long that seeing him differently just seemed underwhelming / less impressive.

#3 Posted by Dernman (15812 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the Ult FF and hated how they ended up turning Reed evil after it ended. Never liked their version of Doom though.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually Ellis wrote more arcs on that book with Millar. But yeah I agree, it was a great update of the original - Millar was at the top of his writing game then.

I guess the reason why it doesn't get that much love is because while it's a great book...it just pales in comparison to USM, UXM, and the Ultimates. I mean it's a great update, but it lost steam pretty quickly beyond the first two or three arcs. While the other Ultimate books were just consistently mind-blowing. Probably has something to do with the fact that it never really had a consistent writer.

#5 Posted by Dayvid3 (869 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I don't like parallel universe stories. They are off kilter from they way we have come to accept things. There's usually gratuitous what if pairings, good and evil flip flop, some people are dead, some dead are living. Everything is just off, and you know it isn't real/permanent/the way it's gonna turn out?

#6 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

Personally I don't like parallel universe stories. They are off kilter from they way we have come to accept things. There's usually gratuitous what if pairings, good and evil flip flop, some people are dead, some dead are living. Everything is just off, and you know it isn't real/permanent/the way it's gonna turn out?

Have you read the UU? There are some fantastic stories in this universe's early days that still remain influential till now. The UU didn't start out as a gratuitous Elseworlds tale, it was an attempt to simplify and streamline the complex Marvel history into a more updated and modern take to draw in new readers (and boy did it). These books had some of the best talent and stories at one point.

#7 Posted by Dayvid3 (869 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Maybe I read the wrong stuff. Your descriptions is what I thought it would be. Kind of new 52 for marvel. I thought they were going to just update origins, maybe make some more modern sense of things. But then I checked out ultimate spidey, and peter's dead and there's some tween in his place. That wasn't the update I was hoping for. I think as long as it says ultimate, it won't be a reboot/streamline, but parallel.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@dayvid3 said:

@veshark: Maybe I read the wrong stuff. Your descriptions is what I thought it would be. Kind of new 52 for marvel. I thought they were going to just update origins, maybe make some more modern sense of things. But then I checked out ultimate spidey, and peter's dead and there's some tween in his place. That wasn't the update I was hoping for. I think as long as it says ultimate, it won't be a reboot/streamline, but parallel.

Yeah, it sounds like you read the newer Ultimate stuff, which quite frankly has gotten pretty convoluted and messed up too. But I highly recommend the books from the early days of the UU. These ones were especially fantastic streamlines of classic characters that any reader can enjoy. Check out Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1 Power & Responsibility, as well as Ultimate X-Men Vol. 1 The Tomorrow People. I believe both are still in print.

#9 Edited by Dayvid3 (869 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I will, thanks

#10 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

Why don't people like ultimate doom?

#11 Posted by samyroc (74 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the goat legs, how can we take a badass mastermind like doom with goat legs seriously. More seriously I really enjoy the Ultimate Fantastic Four even if some stories weren't that great and it was my introduction to the first family.

#12 Edited by Captain13 (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

The first three arcs are the best fantastic four stories of all time. After that, it goes downhill.

Get Richard Madden or Kit Harrington as Reed, Ashley Williams or Saoirse Ronan for Sue, Alan Ritchson as college football star Ben, Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm, Iwan Rheon as Victor, Ralph Fiennes as Franklin Storm (Sue and Johnny's dad), and Stephen Dillane as Nihil. We'll get a hell of a movie then--probably the best superhero film yet if Trank pulls all the stops.

#13 Posted by Captain13 (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him.

#14 Posted by Daiohnysis (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@samyroc: how van he be badass in 616 when he wears a dress