#1 Posted by batmannflash (6189 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DC Comics but don't know too much about Marvel, outside of the X-Men (the X-Men are awesome). I'm interesting in knowing more about the Fantastic Four. All I've seen of them are in the movies (and even I know that they were bad!) so what are some good Fantastic Four stories I should check out?

Also, how is the Fantastic Four Marvel Now! series?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by batmannflash (6189 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#4 Edited by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: I can vouch for the Now books, dude. Pretty accessible and fun. If you have the extra money, I'd follow both books that Fraction is writing right now - Fantastic Four and FF.

Fantastic Four has long been one of my favorite teams because they have that interesting family dynamic that's missing in a lot of superhero books. They're completely unique and their villains are just amazing, arguably the best villains in the Marvel Universe.

If you don't have money to follow them on a monthly basis. I'd suggest following either Mark Waid's or Jonathan Hickman's earlier runs. I believe both are collected in trade.

#5 Posted by batmannflash (6189 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32681 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: If you want to read great Fantastic Four stories you should rad all of Hickmans run, it's freaking great.

#7 Posted by The_Tree (7209 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: If you want to read great Fantastic Four stories you should rad all of Hickmans run, it's freaking great.

Seconded. It's fantastic, pun most definitely intended.

#8 Posted by Lvenger (18295 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Thirded. Hickman's style of writing is perfectly suited for Fantastic Four stories.

#9 Edited by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@the_tree said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Thirded. Hickman's style of writing is perfectly suited for Fantastic Four stories.

Agreed. Also Mark Waids run is excellent too.

#10 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Like others have said Waid's run and Hickman's run are some of the best. Fraction's Fantastic four and FF stuff is great but he's leaving both books next month.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (18295 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@the_tree said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Agreed. Also Mark Waids run is excellent too.

Wholeheartedly agree with that. Waid's Marvel work isn't as good as his DC work as a whole but his Fantastic Four run is excellent.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman's run is terrible. The stories of VALERIA THE AMAZING wear very thin.

Mark Waid's run is great though. Perfectly written Doom

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

Hickman's run is terrible. The stories of VALERIA THE AMAZING wear very thin.

Mark Waid's run is great though. Perfectly written Doom

I disagree wholeheartedly.
Yes Valeria is as annoying as they get but Hickman's run was superb. He really got a good feeling about F4's world and cosmic storytelling.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

If you need a good F4 story just read the whole run of Hickman.An amazing run for one of the best Marvel teams ever.

#15 Edited by JoeC_Mommy (120 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been slowly reading through John Byrne's run as both artist and writer of Fantastic Four in the early 1980s. These issues are a product of their time--awkward exposition and overall wordiness when compared to more recent comics--but their stories are very enjoyable science fiction.

#16 Posted by MaccyD (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar's run isn't too bad either and sets up a lot of Hickman's run (it is directly after it so duh!).