inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Fantastic Four didn't have a great opening or reinvigorate the franchise like fans hoped for. It received 10% on Rotten Tomatoes and did not have the financial success it needed. Now, it looks like it may not be getting a sequel as well.

Now, according to Box Office Mojo, the original release date for the sequel, which was set for June 9, 2017, now has a release date of "to be determined." That's not looking good for the franchise. There's been lots of rumors that the studios involvement in the film clashed with what director Josh Trank wanted to do, as well as other rumors from the set that this film did not go to plan.

What do you think Fox should do with the Fantastic Four franchise?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

INB4 the "Give FF back to Marvel" comments.

Flash1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They Should SELL IT TO MARVEL

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@the_stegman said:

They really need to though.... Seriously 3 shots at it......... ALL failures. Bow out and let someone who knows what they're doing take a crack. Seriously, the only way ANYONE will be okay with a new F4 anything? Is it being under Marvel.

omarthmainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should keep it as leverage from Disney.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Isn't it obvious?

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's cliche at this point, but they need to suck it up and sell it to Marvel.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

They really need to though.... Seriously 3 shots at it......... ALL failures. Bow out and let someone who knows what they're doing take a crack. Seriously, the only way ANYONE will be okay with a new F4 anything? Is it being under Marvel.

Yeah, I actually agree, it's time to call it a quits, though, I really, really don't think Marvel needs nor wants it at this point.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

"Fantastic Four didn't have a great opening or reinvigorate the franchise like fans hoped for"

Not all fans wanted it to succeed. Drastically changing popular franchises has rarely been well received and the director of the film tried to distance himself from it when it was finished.

The fact is, this film was doomed to fail. I said so when the trailers came out and few believed me but people expect characters and stories to remain, for the most part, unchanged. Drastic changes are very rarely met well.

It's why, even with things like Flash/Arrow, new characters were introduced who don't exist in the comics but they didn't take away from the original story.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By DrellAssassin
@smart_dork_dude said:

@the_stegman said:

Yeah, I actually agree, it's time to call it a quits, though, I really, really don't think Marvel needs nor wants it at this point.

Oh I think they do. Remember, the F4 license doesn't just get them the team, it gets them Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Skrulls, and countless other characters.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no!! There isn't going to be a sequel!? But I loved the first part so much! Please make more Fox!!

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I read that Fox traded the FF rights to Marvel for the TV rights to the X-men to make that new Legion show, and that other one. Am I mistaken?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought I read that Fox traded the FF rights to Marvel for the TV rights to the X-men to make that new Legion show, and that other one. Am I mistaken?

That was a rumor that was quickly disproved.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was the rumor but both Fox and Marvel dismissed it as untrue, at least for now.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I think they do. Remember, the F4 license doesn't just get them the team, it gets them Doom, Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Skrulls, and countless other characters.

And to add to that, remember that MCU is already introducing the Kree, Inhumans, Thanos, etc. so all those other characters would be more than welcome.

@docholiday: For me it was the opposite. When I saw all the changes they were making, I was pissed. I won't even get into the race switch thing, or that I was supposed to believe they were all teenagers, or the fact that Jamie Bell had a smaller build than the rest of the cast despite playing BEN GRIMM. But I actually wanted the film to be well-received so that when I watched it, I could go "Okay. I didn't like the changes, but at least they were well executed and worked in the movie". But once I watched it, it was like adding fuel to the fire.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

"What do you think Fox should do with the Fantastic Four franchise?"

Sell it back to Marvel. Or go the route Sony did with Spiderman.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Just shelve the Fantastic Four. There's been four terrible films, and in so close proximity that it needs at least a ten year leave before we should even see them again. Give it back to Marvel? No! Marvel has their plate full already, if they need to focus on a family story (which they haven't done yet) that will only put more things that could possibly make them drop in quality. Either hold on to it, or give it to another studio. At this point there's very little people out there who would actually beg to watch a Fantastic Four movie.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"What do you think Fox should do with the Fantastic Four franchise?"

Sell it back to Marvel. Or go the route Sony did with Spiderman.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they showed an alternative reality to FF origin telling. I say they keep producing these movies because despite Marvels Move hype universe their best movies were ant-man GOTG and capt america 2. Rest is below average and nothing more than fillers.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Good, screw that terrible movie.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would like for Fox to come up with a vision for the franchise and take their time developing their plan. Once they know the direction they want to take, hire a director that shares that vision so that they are on the same page and not always at odds and re-doing big parts of the movie. For content, I would like the Fantastic Four to already be established and older. Everybody doesn't need to be a victim as a child and misunderstood. Ben Grimm should be a popular guy, Big Man on Campus, war hero instead of a scrawny do nothing that had a neglected/abusive relationship with his family. Have the story be them exploring the negative zone and come across Annihilus or caught up in a war between Annihilus and Blastaar. Keep Doom as a monarch if used at all in the first film.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure why everyone slates the old two films, they were what they were. They weren't the quality you'd expect in 2015, but they did pretty well in portraying innately goofy characters in their time.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#23 inferiorego  Staff

"Fantastic Four didn't have a great opening or reinvigorate the franchise like fans hoped for"

Not all fans wanted it to succeed. Drastically changing popular franchises has rarely been well received and the director of the film tried to distance himself from it when it was finished.

The fact is, this film was doomed to fail. I said so when the trailers came out and few believed me but people expect characters and stories to remain, for the most part, unchanged. Drastic changes are very rarely met well.

It's why, even with things like Flash/Arrow, new characters were introduced who don't exist in the comics but they didn't take away from the original story.

If you want something to fail, you can't consider yourself a fan.

DamoMinimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DamoMinimus

Of course it would be good for Marvel to regain the rights so they were in control of their own characters but even if this does happen there needs to be a break before they make another FF film. Too many reboots in close succession just kill the anticipation.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fox should be trying to create their own properties so that they can rely less on a shared business deal with other rights holders.

Just sell FF back to Marvel.

Part of the problem in the first place was scheduling a second movie before making a good first one.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Ah such grand ambitions dashed by the wave of reality hitting Fox over what Trank, their executives and cuts had done to an already tremendously flawed product. One would hope Fox had the sense to let the sick plant that Fantastic Four has become be cultivated by new gardeners but instead they cling onto it in the vain hope it will produce something. That isn't a reasonable mindset, or fair to The Fantastic Four and those who want a good FF movie outside of The Incredibles.

luciferjonez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god someone over at fox came to their senses. They stand a better chance of having more success releasing the roger corman version with enhanced special effects.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Sell it back to Marvel for a percentage of profits it may or may not make. This way both studios are safe. If it make $100mil profit the Fox gets $5mil for doing nothing. If it make $1mil profit then Fox gets $50k and realizes that if Marvel can't make it profitable then they didn't have a shot so selling it was a great idea. Either way Fox makes money for nothing.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#29  Edited By RavenVice01

@the_stegman: I wouldn't say that cuz the rumor is Feige is considering cancelling the Inhumans movie since they hav already been introduced in AoS. I know it's not the Royal Family but I think Whedon jumped the gun bringing the inhumans too early. If inhumans is cancelled then black panther should be delayed and fantastic four should take the slot...Marvel's FF and soon after Marvel's Silver surfer

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@inferiorego: very true. I only wanted this reboot to fail so FF and Silver Surfer can be given up to Marvel Studios where they can be given the attention they need. I know Feige will make sure to learn from past mistakes and create something Fantastic

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday said:

I'm a fan of dogs, but let's face it putting down Old Yeller was the right call.

vox bosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should sell it to DC....

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hopefully the rights will be returned to Marvel

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jasoninthewoods
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@vox bosh: I dont think we need another gritty Fantastic Four film so no they shouldnt.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom along with the rest of the FF villains belong in the MCU. Hopefully this can happen now.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

And to add to that, remember that MCU is already introducing the Kree, Inhumans, Thanos, etc. so all those other characters would be more than welcome.

@docholiday: For me it was the opposite. When I saw all the changes they were making, I was pissed. I won't even get into the race switch thing, or that I was supposed to believe they were all teenagers, or the fact that Jamie Bell had a smaller build than the rest of the cast despite playing BEN GRIMM. But I actually wanted the film to be well-received so that when I watched it, I could go "Okay. I didn't like the changes, but at least they were well executed and worked in the movie". But once I watched it, it was like adding fuel to the fire.

We should discuss the race switch. People said 'it's no big deal' but isn't it?

What if we took Blade, Steel, Static, Storm or Black Panther and had white actors play them? People would be furious.

Furthermore, changing a character like that disrespects both the black community and the comic book readers who enjoyed that character regardless of race.

When they changed the Human Torch's race, they basically said "the race of a character doesn't matter, we can change it at the drop of a hat and no one will care" but what about the people who identify with those characters, black or white or any other race? Marvel is well known for making characters you can relate to and identify with by giving them realistic backstories, issues and the like. So when any part of a characters content is simply dismissed as unimportant, then it insults anyone who grew up identifying with that character.

Marvel has amazing black super heroes and in fact, Blade, came out 2 years before Spider-man, even though Blade came from the Spider-man series and Spider-man is more popular.

I do agree though about the other issues, the fact that the actors they chose were poor for other reasons , they didn't look like teens (and that Reed didn't do any of his most important work until adulthood, after college) or that the actor playing Ben Grimm was no larger than the Human Torch. I think this movie suffered like Spider-man 3 did with the 'too many cooks spoil the soup' scenario; in Spider-man, the producers, the film studio and the director each had an idea how the film should be made and decided it was better to compromise and have all ideas rather than just one and as such we ended up with a goblin knock off, sandman (who was my favorite) and venom (who they chose very poorly for the role)

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

@the_stegman said:
@smart_dork_dude said:

@the_stegman said:

Either way? JUST gonna leave this here for future reference

No Caption Provided

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday said:

Yes I can. I can be a fan of the original Fantastic Four comic series and of the original characters and don't need to support every single incarnation of characters I am a fan of simply to prove I am a fan.

I still like Catwoman even though I knew that movie would fail too.

A real fan wants what they enjoy to be accurately represented and interpreted, not simply bow to anyone who says "I made it the way I think is best" and accept garbage as gold.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sell it to the MCU for the love of all things good and right in this world!

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about we just focus on some other property for now....

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Thank you based god. What took so long?

Now give em to Marvel already. They can't f up anymore than what Fox did.

~MiB

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Give Fantastic Four a rest. When the right time comes, Marvel will have its rights back sometime in the future. At this point, there's no Fantastic Four in the comics, now that the Human Torch has joined the Inhumans and the Thing joined the GOTG.

DamoMinimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday: switching races in this case really shouldn't have been a big deal. Some characters "need" to be a specific race such as Black Panther (being King of a black nation), Sunfire (being champion of Japan) or even the Red Skull (because of his historical context). Changing any of those characters races would suddenly produce an unwanted subtext - "why is the king of the most advanced African country white" or "why isn't Japan's champion Japanese" etc. Outside of that it should always be the best actor for the job (idealistic of me, I know). Changing a character from white to black will make some people cry political correctness. Changing a black character to white can result in entirely different accusations.

Aside from all that Chris Evans was much better! :-)