Splicers: The Corps chapter 8

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By joshmightbe

Brian Martin is the son of an Olympic Bronze medal winning runner named Doug. His father was obsessed with going for the gold, so much so that he convinced his wife to upgrade their unborn child to make him a top of the line runner. From the moment the boy learned to walk his father started his training. Brian hated it, his father's obsession took up all his free time, he had no time for friends, his diet was strictly monitored and any attempt his mother made to convince his father to ease up in the boy was met with verbal tirades.

At 12 his father had him on a track with his old Olympic coach, Brian had begged his father to let him out of it just this one time so he could go to a birthday party, the first he'd ever been invited to. This was met with a long speech about how Brian would never attain "His" dreams if he slacked off. Brian was angry as the coach held a stop watch and yelled,"Go."

He started at a normal pace but got an odd feeling. Doug and the coach were shocked by the sonic boom created by Brian.

Days later Brian was surrounded by press and officials with special devices to measure his speed. He had broken the land speed record surpassing the speed of even the fastest of aircraft. He was officially dubbed the fastest thing on earth aside from light and electricity.

2041 Downtown branch of Bank of America Chicago, IL

Foxtrot company rolls up to the scene, the Chicago PD had the place surrounded. In the front of the building there was a man controlling the wind while at the same time causing tremors and displaying several other abilities. An officer on the scene ran up,"Seems we got a splicer with multiple powers aiding in a bank job."

Malcolm taps Rob on the shoulder and shows him his phone,"Actually he's just got the one, but I'm betting the guys in there have a good variety."

The cop sneers,"He looks like he's got a few...."

Rob takes the phone and reads from the screen,"Benjamin 'Benny' Katz, short time power absorber and small time crook. He's just the front line, inside we probably have his power sources to back him up and they have hostages, looks like they're loaded down with C4."

He looks to Brian,"You think you can out run radio waves?"

The cop looks confused,"Radio waves?"

Max replies,"The detonator they're using, he's saying it works on radio waves, smart. Now days they only effective radio jammers are sitting in a museum since no one uses it anymore."

Brian nods,"I think I can, why?"

Rod grins,"I got a plan."

Malcolm runs to the transport and grabs 4 small circular metallic devices and hands them to Brian with a note.

Rob looks to the crowd,"Perfect. Hey kid, can I borrow that air horn?"

A few minutes later

Max approaches Benny, he launches flames at him causing him to direct all his attention at him. Benny raises a wind shield knocking out the flame as he feels a hand on his arm. He looks back to see Rob and then starts feeling his power. Rob plants the air horn right by Benny's ear and blasts.

He looks down as Benny collapses,"Super human hearing can be a real bitch sometimes."

He then removes his ear plugs and hit his comm,"Brian you're up."

A window shatters and the people inside feel a huge gust of wind. They look back to see the bombs removed from them. The ring leader looks back,"Shoot one of the hostages, that'll make them back up a bit. One of the men aims his assault rifle at one of the people huddled by the counter and empties his clip.

The gang then hits the floor to avoid the ricochet as the bullets bounced off an energy shield now between them and the hostages. Adam and Ana drop down from the ceiling and attack as the leader shouts "Get your guns morons."

They then notice them glowing red from heat as Max grins outside.

The wind manipulator knocks Ana to the side but Adam appears behind him and knocks him out. The others pounce on Ana as she hits the ground but she hurls them off. Before the rest even attempt to use their abilities Brian speeds through the place knocking them out leaving only the leader, A man named Marcus Drake standing with his hands in the air.

Rob steps up,"Got ya."

Marcus nods, "Looks like it. Oh wait...."

He teleported away leaving Rob looking around the room,"Could someone have said 'Hey we got a teleporter'? Is that too much to ask?"

As they exit, the thieves are loaded into a truck and Sara walks over to Rob,"What the hell was that? You just give some random thug your power and hope it works out?"

Rob looks at her, "Relax, I got the job done."

She gives a frustrated look as he walks by.

Max puts his hand on her shoulder,"He knew what he was doing, his powers took a long time to get used to. I remember once when we were kids before he learned to focus a fly buzzing in his ear sent him into a seizure."

She looked ahead,"So the air horn thing?"

Max nodded,"Sent Benny into shock, just like he knew it would. I know it's usually a surprise when people first figure out he actually thinks things through, but it is more than likely the reason Campbell hasn't shot him yet."

Nexus HQ New York City

Dr Rossini sits at his desk as Marcus Drake appears, "Hopefully we're done with your little tests, leaving all that loot behind was actually painful."

Rossini turns," I have all the data I need from Chicago, but I do have another job for you if you're interested."

Marcus nods,"You know me boss, I'm a regular workaholic."

The doctor nods back, "Cromwell has become problematic, dispose of him, but do it quietly. No need to cause a public event over it."

Marcus chuckles,"I am nothing if not discrete Doc."

SyIar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SyIar

Nice job J.

I could see Brian Martin having some type of lead role somewhere. I know it's too early to really say, but I could see it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

@SyIar: Thanks, I'm trying to give some back story to all my team members

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By batkevin74

@joshmightbe said:

Brian Martin is the son of Olympic bronze medal winning runner named Doug Martin. His father was obsessed with going for the gold, so much so that he convinced his wife to upgrade their unborn child to make him a top of the line runner. From the moment the boy learned to walk his father started his training. Brian hated it; his father's obsession took up all his free time, he had no time for friends, his diet was strictly monitored and any attempt his mother made to convince his father to ease up in the boy was met with verbal tirades.

At age 12 his father had him on a track with his old coach. Brian had begged his father to let him out of it just this one time so he could go to a birthday party, the first he'd ever been invited to. This was met with a long speech about how Brian would never attain "His" dreams if he slacked off. Brian was angry as the coach held a stopwatch and yelled, "Go!"

He started at a normal pace but got an odd feeling. Doug and the coach were shocked by the sonic boom created by Brian. Days later Brian was surrounded by press and officials with special devices to measure his speed. He had broken the land speed record surpassing the speed of even the fastest of aircraft. He was officially dubbed the fastest thing on earth aside from light and electricity.

2041 Downtown branch of Bank of America Chicago, IL

Foxtrot Company rolls up to the scene that the Chicago PD had surrounded. In the front of the building there was a man controlling the wind while at the same time causing tremors and displaying several other abilities. An officer on the scene ran up, "Seems we got a splicer with multiple powers aiding in a bank job!"

Malcolm taps Rob on the shoulder and shows him his phone,"Actually he's just got the one, but I'm betting the guys in there have a good variety."

The cop sneers,"He looks like he's got a few...."

Rob takes the phone and reads from the screen, "Benjamin 'Benny' Katz. Short time power absorber, small time crook. He's just the front line, inside we probably have his power sources to back him up and they have hostages, looks like they're loaded down with C4."

"You think you can out run radio waves?"

"Radio waves?" The cop looks confused

"The detonator they're using” Max replies “Works on radio waves, smart. Now days they only effective radio jammers are sitting in a museum since no one uses it anymore."

Brian nods,"I think I can, why?"

"I got a plan." Rod grins

Malcolm runs to the transport and grabs four small circular metallic devices and hands them to Brian with a note.

Rob looks to the crowd,"Perfect. Hey kid, can I borrow that air horn?"

A few minutes later

Max approaches Benny, he launches flames at him causing him to direct all his attention at him. Benny raises a wind shield knocking out the flame as he feels a hand on his arm. He looks back to see Rob and then starts feeling his power. Rob plants the air horn right by Benny's ear and blasts.

"Super human hearing can be a real bitch sometimes." He looks down as Benny collapses on the ground. He then removes his ear plugs and hit his comm,"Brian you're up."

A window shatters and the people inside feel a huge gust of wind. They look back to see the bombs removed from them. The ring leader looks back, "Shoot one of the hostage! That'll make them back up a bit”

One of the men aims his assault rifle at one of the people huddled by the counter and empties his clip. The gang then hits the floor to avoid the ricochet as the bullets bounced off an energy shield now between them and the hostages. Adam and Ana drop down from the ceiling and attack as the leader shouts "Get your guns morons."

They then notice them glowing red from heat as Max grins outside. The wind manipulator knocks Ana to the side but Adam appears behind him and knocks him out. The others pounce on Ana as she hits the ground but she hurls them off. Before the rest even attempt to use their abilities Brian speeds through the place knocking them out leaving only the leader, A man named Marcus Drake standing with his hands in the air.

Rob steps up,"Got ya."

Marcus nods, "Looks like it. Oh wait...."

He teleported away leaving Rob looking around the room,"Could someone have said 'Hey we got a teleporter'? Is that too much to ask?"

As they exit, the thieves are loaded into a truck and Sara walks over to Rob, "What the hell was that? You just give some random thug your power and hope it works out?"

"Relax, I got the job done." Rob looks at her

She gives a frustrated look as he walks by.

Max puts his hand on her shoulder, "He knew what he was doing. His powers took a long time to get used to. I remember once when we were kids before he learned to focus a fly buzzing in his ear sent him into a seizure."

"So the air horn thing?"

"Sent Benny into shock, just like he knew it would” Said Max “I know it's usually a surprise when people first figure out he actually thinks things through, but it is more than likely the reason Campbell hasn't shot him yet."

Nexus HQ New York City

Dr Rossini sits at his desk as Marcus Drake appears, "Hopefully we're done with your little tests…leaving all that loot behind was actually painful!"

Rossini turns," I have all the data I need from Chicago, but I do have another job for you if you're interested."

"You know me boss, I'm a regular workaholic." Marcus smiles

"Cromwell has become…problematic” said Dr Rossini “Dispose of him…but do it quietly. No need to cause a public event over it."

"I am nothing if not discrete Doc." Marcus chuckles

Nexus is playing the team and plotting. Damn them corporations! :) Good work

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AweSam

You're actually very talented when it comes to writing fight scenes. Good job.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

@batkevin74: Thanks, The next few chapters are going to move away from the Nexus angle and focus on some independent threats but they will remain in the background BTW Dr. Rossini is open for anyone to use

@AweSam: Thanks

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

bump

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By batkevin74

@joshmightbe: Might go back and do a chapter or two of the Orwells I think tonight :)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

@batkevin74: I was gonna bump them all but got caught by flood protection on chapter 9

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great action scene -- I really enjoyed how you had all their powers work together and that air-horn was hilarious (and effective).

The back stories of individual characters to start off each chapter is working really well, as is the introduction of their powers. This is a really, really great and thought out story.