Worm's Wonderful Writing Words of "Wisdom": PLOT TWISTS FOR DUMMIES

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Project_Worm

Doesn’t seem like my last entry (read here) was read all that much, but that’s alright we’ll keep on trucking. LONG ago I promised to try and give some advice about PLOT TWISTS! As you can see from the title, this is that.

The writer’s place within the story

One good thing to keep in mind, not only when attempting to create plot twists, but to keep your story interesting in general, is that you are the villain. We spend all this time creating a great hero, the perfect protagonist. It’s in your nature to try and protect them, to make them look great, but to make a truly compelling story. You must realize that you are the bad guy.

You are mother nature, you are disaster. You are disease and sickness. You are deception, you are heartbreak and betrayal. You’re a roadblock, you are the great hurdle. The protagonist should succeed despite you not because of you.

With that in mind, we can continue.

THE ONE BEHIND

So you have this great story, it’s moving along at a nice pace. Your hero has met his foe. You’ve developed a great villain, he’s imposing, powerful, sadistic, and brilliant. Except he’s not in charge. Your villain steps aside to reveal the one pulling the strings. This is an easy way to crank up the stakes to ten. Your protagonist thought he had it bad before? They haven’t seen anything yet.

ET TU, BUNGHOLE?

At this point your hero has gone through some ish, but lately everything seems to be "coming up Milhouse", just then... Your protagonist's best friend, sibling or lover turns on them and stabs them in the back-heart. Keep in mind for this to really work you have to make the reader believe that the relationship is rock solid. While at the same time have a believable reason said character would suddenly go full Lando on your hero.

HE KNEW ALL ALONG!

Your hero has developed the perfect plan they’re going to seek into the villain's castle and steal the source of his power. But, holy poop! What’s that? The villain walks his creepy butt out of the shadows slow clapping like a total d-bag. Turns out the villain knew about the plan all along. Nothing is quite as crushing as getting your best laid plans covered in mice (and men?).

OH DAMN, WE MIGHT LOSE

Okay, so your character was just betrayed by their friend when he informed the villain of the secret plans. Your hero is trapped, surrounded by enemies on all sides. This might actually be it! The odds are stacked and there’s no way out. Of course they’ll likely find a way to overcome, but simply breaking the hero down this far will be enough to truly get some new electricity flowing.

OH DAMN, WE LOST

It doesn’t matter how tall you stack the cards against the protagonist, we as readers are conditioned to believe they’ll find a way. Letting your character lose a real loss is powerful, they were trying to save the Lizard Queen from the Gorilla Master, but they couldn’t. They were too late, the Lizard Queen has already been thrown into the demon swamp from dimension “Q". The fight isn’t over, but it’s definitely a crushing blow, the priorities have changed the plot has turned. Nothing is the same.

THE PYYRHIC VICTORY

The "Pyrrhic Victory" is simple, it’s a hollow victory. A victory that had a great price. It’s a victory obtained by making serious sacrifice. It’s great because we often see victory as absolute. "They won so everything is awesome". It's not often like that, however. Your hero rescued the Lizard Queen, but not without making some really tough decisions, they accomplished their goal, but are left wondering if they did what was right.

In closing

All these tips ad up to one thing, mix stuff up turn the story on it’s head. Or give it a slight shake. In our day to day life we normally want to know what’s coming comfort is good. In writing, though comfort is boredom. Have fun, that’s what fiction is all about.

Again, tell me what you think. Even if you think this sucked, any comment is a good comment as far as I'm concerned.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@project_worm: J'aprove Misour Worm, this should be of great help for many writers on this forum

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

@project_worm: I love your perspective regarding the true role of the author! I've heard this many times before, but your blunt phrasing makes it entertaining.

@impurestcheese: It's definitely helping me out! What I'm currently working on has 4/5 of the twists mentioned above.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Appreciate it, my "candidness" gets me in trouble sometimes glad to hear it worked alright in this.