What is the main thing that attracts your interest in a random Fanfic?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll What is the main thing that attracts your interest in a random Fanfic? (17 votes)

The writer 24%
The title 18%
The character/team used (Batman/Avengers/Spiderman etc.) 35%
The fanfic group (Marvel mayhem, DC re-invented etc) 18%
The amount of views 6%
The amount of comments 0%

Just a survey to help writers determine how to get interest in their fanfics. This is concerning fanfics that you've viewed only on the main board menu and have no previous knowledge about.

• 
Bluff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Grr.. Voted for the wrong one. The first thing that attracts me to a FF is the title. Then the writer, then the number of comments.

NeonPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By NeonPheonix

I see the title first, if it reveals a character that I like i'll read it automatically, if it's a good author than i'll read it i'll always read a DC Reinvented, I will literally pick a random fan fic to see if it's any good

Winter_Savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Winter_Savior

It'll have to be the title, which will draw me in. I don't really care much for FanFic even though I'm on this forum. Partly because most people deviate from the characters and the stories are off.

The actual story content is what truly will keep me reading. The premise and if the writer can present the story in a well written form.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

For original fics, the title, then the number of comments. For fics about Marvel/DC, it's mainly the character. And then I'll always try to read fics from DC Re-Invented and my followers.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#5  Edited By cbishop

I think title and character have to be synonymous in fan-fic. If you don't include the character in your title, you lose half of your potential readers right away, because there's a Superman vs. Galactus right below it that will catch their attention, and a Hulk vs. Darkseid above it that they're still thinking about.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I went with characters/teams used. They're the bedrock of any story which is why they are the most attractive feature. Boring titles aren't necessarily a dealbreaker for me but poor characters are. Also, if I already know of the writer than the story in question isn't actually random for me. Fan-fic groups would come in a close second.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

The characters/teams attracts me, especially if it deals with Spider-Man and X-Men.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

I read a lot of works, I have my favourites because of their consistency (sometimes inconsistency) of their work. I don't care if its Superman or Spider-Man, some of the better works are the Character Creation Contests where original work shines.

A good author/writer goes a long way helps towards my choice of what I read though

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

None of the above. Sure title, writer and characters do count but in the end I just go for the random button press. Also comments/views is a bit of a farce there are plenty of good titles that have low views/comments. I generally comment on what I read because I know how demoralising it is to work your soul on something and have people seemingly ignore it.