What do you think of my DC comics fanfic idea?

Thunderbow2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderbow2

Well I alwased loved Dr destiny of DC comics, wiki him.anyway my idea is what if he was a Dr of psychology and not a scientist, a hero not a villian.he specializes in dream therapy where he enters his patients mind via hypnotic suggestion and via a dream avatar and fights to cure them. And starts to dream his patients dreams also.any way he makes it big time with a 90 percent success rate and scores a big job at arkham.at arkham he works with the likes of joker and mad hatter but it was not till he tries to cure zsacz where things go down hill.he starts having nightmares time and time again of a secret satainc like cult that have crossed paths with zsacz many times they rule over Gotham.the recurring dreams or should I say nightmares drives him over the edge and takes a toll on his own mental state.in a phycotic episode he starts to think he is somewhat of a savior to the victims of thr cult in these night mares and dones the Dr destiny costume to battel this cult.this cult ambushed Bruce wayane at his mansion and killed him but not before bruce picks off qiet a bit of them from the hundreds of cult members who ultimely kiled him after bruce had decovered that the orphanages he supported started to lose children to this cult.even though this Bruce was not batman in this story he still was peak human and smart. What you think?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#2  Edited By cbishop

@thunderbow2: Fan-fic is sort of like a What If or Elseworlds... you can do all of these different things with the characters you love that you could never do in the real titles, but the core of the character should still shine through somehow. The story idea is solid enough, but you've changed Dr. Destiny so much that the character isn't really Dr. Destiny anymore, except for the name. He's underutilized enough that you could develop him pretty much unhindered, but one of the key things we know about him is that he is a scientist, not a psychologist. Maybe something about his science allows him to enter the dreams of others?

The character you are describing sounds more like Sleepwalker or Nightmask, although those are from different companies. The closest thing at DC that I can think of is Sandman (the Neil Gaiman version). It would be kind of interesting to see him reinterpreted as a superhero, rather than a semi-deity/ force of life. Especially in Gotham.

In general, I kind of think the name Dr. Destiny got put on the wrong character, but it would be cool to see a good story with him. I do think your idea changes the core of the character too much, but if you think you can make it work, I say go for it. :)