Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Dark King
Time: unknown

A dark cavern lighted by a reddish tint stretching as wide as an immortal eye can see,  agonizing screams of the dead who long for life can be heard as a rift opens up from what would be considered the sky in this dark domain a scream can be heard like no other before it.  A scream of pain, anguish and most importantly of defiance, a cry of a warrior that  announces the arrival of the new guest of this dark domain.  Ares the God of War has fallen from the realm of light into the realm of darkness killed at the hands of a being who claimed to possess the power of a million suns and the mind of a mad man. Ares plunges into what appears to be water in this world in a giant splash, Ares struggles to resurface fighting against the pain that tries to drag him down to the ebony depths.  As he surfaces he gasp for air and swims toward the shore each stroke feeling as if he is beared down with unimaginable weight of humanities sorrows, sins and hate, finally Ares grips the sandy beaches as he drags himself out of the water... He looks at his hands and realizes it is the hand of an old man as it slowly rejuvenates itself back to its youthful godly pallet, suspicious he looks behind him at the waters he had left behind and realizes it was not water but the damned soul's of the dead. The Damned have stripped Ares of a few precious memories as angered as he is Ares has no time to pine as he rises to his feet and screams his name.

Ares: I am Ares the God of War!
neither the damned, god or Demon can claim me!

As he screams his name and  defies the after life edict refusing his fate a mysterious fog rolls in covering the shores. Ares sensing it is more then just fog looks around for its source and sees a small boat gliding toward the shores, The Ferryman's eyes glow red like ember beneath its hood as it stares at Ares, slowly it raises its arm and points at his finger at the God of War. Annoyingly Ares marches toward the Ferryman.

Ares: Charon?! you will ferry me to my uncle Pluto at once!
I would have words with him!

Charon: i would gladly do so my Lord but i require payment. 

Ares: your payment shall be that you keep your head!

Charon: here, i give the orders godling. i make the threats(hisses)
Here you are nothing but a shade.....

Ares angered boards Charon's boat and swings at the Ferryman to his surprise his fist goes through him as if it were nothing but mist.

Charon: you can not harm me Lord Ares....
 If you cannot pay, you shall remain on the shores... to wonder for a 100 yrs.
But, you are a god or at least once were what is a 100 yrs to an immortal take satisfaction that your mind and memories remain intact unlike the mortals of past.

Ares: annoyed digs into his armor into its hidden pockets and pulls out what little money he has and gives it to the Ferryman, Charon smiles as it is given to him and becomes quickly annoyed at the feel of the "money", snarling he fist the money and once again looks at Ares..

Charon: What is this?! 
you would Trick me?! 

Ares: It is all the money i have.
 the World has changed, Charon.

Charon: Paper?! do you not have coins, precious metal?!

Ares: no. but if you would ferry me i will make sure to repay thee...
i give you the word of a god.

Charon: i do not want your word and promises Olympian!
If you cannot pay they stay !! (throws his paper money).
 Take it! make use of it, a Fire!! hahahahaha,,, 
i will return for you in a 100 yrs..

Ares: noooo!!

Ares reaches out toward Charon as he vanishes in a waft of mist disappearing, the boat on which Ares stands begins to become transparent as it too starts to vanish forcing Ares to jump of it toward the shore. 
Angrily he begins to walk the shores looking around in hopes of finding a way across to his uncle... perhaps a way to escape this abysmal domain and rejoin the living..Ares knows he cannot come back unless his body is healed and his soul summoned by his fellow gods, this would bring hope to most gods but Ares is hated and despised even among his fellow Olympians. They would no more want him back anymore then one would want a poisonous viper roaming free in their homes.

Ares looking at the beach finds armor, weapons, shields, rags, and shelters made by the damned before being ferried across the river Styx... he begins to collect these items as he prepares to make a shelter and a fire collecting old bones by the shores of those who wondered to close and were dragged and ripped apart by the damned, here even a soul can die if one is not strong willed enough.  Looking up as he collects these items he wonders to himself if he would enjoy the company of others rather then be alone for a 100 yrs.. he muses to himself if there were any mortal or immortal souls here he would simply take their coins for save travel across the river Styx. 

Making a fire near his shelter Ares sits and ponders if he can build a boat with the items at hand and realizes it is a foolish notion there is not enough material nor does he possess the knowledge to make it so. Suddenly an ethereal wind blows across the beach blowing out his fire and rousting the souls in the river Styx as they eerily moan.  Ares looks up and around at the source of the strange wind as he sees a shadowy  figure approaching him in a hooded garb..  Ares reaching for the ancient weapons stands to meet the stranger...

Ares: hold! who are you Stranger! 

The Stranger stops and smiles beneath his hood and answers...

Stranger:
i am just a traveler like yourself who wishes to return home.

Ares: perhaps, perhaps not! these beaches has not been host to any  in over a millennium.
Again state your name!

Stranger: Death has not changed your manners has it Olympian?

The stranger pulls back his hood and at 1st reveals two gleaming horns as he slowly raises his head to meet Are's gaze...

Ares: Loki?! 
why are you here?!

Loki: to help you, Lord Ares.

Ares: i highly doubt that asgardian.

Loki: tis true. In helping you i help myself.

Ares: i would not owe you anything Asgardian, i should kill you!
but, a shade can no more effect a living being then a shadow can attack the one who casts  it...

Loki: so true.
you are condemned to wonder aimlessly here on this beach unless thou can pay the ferryman with precious metals, no?

Ares: aye, what of it?
it would be simple enough task if the beach had not become desolate without souls to populate it.
i could have easily taken the coins or traded with other fellow souls but my father edict forbid my uncle from collecting souls centuries ago.

Loki: perhaps, i can help you find the coins needed Lord Ares...

Ares: again why would you help me Trickster..

Loki: you and i have both met our end at the hands of the insane mortal, i wish to return to the land of the living as do you i imagine.

Ares: you are dead?!

Loki: aye, but i am still the god of tricks power enough to perhaps escape our accursed fates.

Ares sits back down as he tries to make a new fire, Loki looking down ignites the fire through a simple spell....

Ares: bah, parlor tricks! if  you could you would have left this realm and have no need of me.
Can you conjure us a boat?!

Loki: no, my powers are a shadow of what they once were when i  lived.  in this realm away from Asgard it is even weaker still.

Ares: how came you to the underworld, asgardian?
do not your kind go to Hel?

Loki: aye, my daughter's realm. though she is my daughter she will not return me to life or allow me to roam in the mortal realm.
But her love for her Father allows me to wonder the after life and its many realms..

Ares: i doubt it's love, knowing you she probably wants you from causing mischievous in her realm.

Loki: thou are very perceptive, but her intolerance toward me has given you great opportunity.
We both can escape the realm of death together. i can share with you secrets.

Ares glares at Loki realizing that this demon is his only option to see his uncle and barter for his freedom..begrudgingly he agrees to Loki's aid knowing that the asgardian may betray him down the road and his bid for life may not be all he wishes for....

Ares: very well asgardian, i accept your aid how are we to cross the River Styx?

Loki: gather a few pebbles from the sandy beaches, Lord Ares. 
and i shall do the rest...

Ares does as he says and picks up a few moderate size rocks into his hand and shows them to Loki.... Loki smiling waves his hand over them as they magically transform to gold coins and rubies.. Ares smiles as he witnesses the transformation of the pebbles...

Loki: call to him...

Ares: gladly...
Charon!!! 
 I have your accursed payment!
i wish save passage for me and my companion!

Suddenly the beach becomes engulfed in fog making it difficult for them to see. looking out toward the River Styx they see Charon slowly gliding toward the shore as his boat hits the banks...  Ares marching toward Charon as Loki walks behind him..

Charon: my payment Olympian!
who is your companion?

Ares: that is not your concern!
will you give us save passage?!

Ares pours the coins and rubies into Charon hands as Ares questions him....Charon smiles fist his hands greedily and brings it closer to inspect only to casually look up at Ares and the Stranger who covers his head with his cloak. Charon bites the coin before answering Ares..

Charon: aye, you will be given save passage.
climb aboard and do not move... 
it would be dangerous to even an immortal to fall in so far from shore or rescue..

Both Gods climb aboard as Charon pushes the boat of the banks and heads toward the opposite banks... Ares and Loki look at Charon and themselves smirking for having tricked Charon the ferryman into helping them cross.. 

Charon: Fair warning to you two, the afterlife is not what it once was.

Ares: how so?

Charon: the souls have revolted against thy Uncle, Lord Hades.
 There is War.  The Damned souls in Tartarus no longer tolerate their punishment and wish to enter the Elysium Fields.

Loki: War and the God of War how interesting. perhaps, it is an omen  of good fortune for us, Lord Ares.

Ares: perhaps, this uprising may prove  useful to barter for our freedom.  
what of the souls in the Asphodel Meadows what has become of them?

Charon: they are as will always be lifeless with no will, no memory. 
they follow whomever is strong of will to command them..

Loki: and who leads this revolt?

Charon: no one. it is chaos each soul trying to fight past Lord Hade's loyal army simply to be pushed back into Tartarus.

Ares: how can this be?

Charon: come Lord Ares, you and your uncle for years have tried to supplant thy father's rule.
this is the result of such doing. Thy father's obsess and edict can no longer be enforced. 
thy uncle's rule was backed by thy father's will. 
We've arrived.

Charon arrives on the opposite shores and disembarks his passengers as Ares and Loki step onto a pier and look around in the distance chaos can be heard the clashing of metal upon metal the cries of the damned the roar of raging fires from Tartarus as the damned souls escape from there prison..

Ares: Cerebus should be here guarding the entrance...

Loki: if Charon is to be believed he is most likely defending the entrance to the Elysium fields.
Do you think it is wise to simply March toward your uncle?

Ares: i be Ares God of War!  i would have it no other way.
Dark King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Dark King
As the two continue to walk through the corridors and open areas of the underworld the loud clashing of weapons can be heard, voices yelling giving commands the ground shaking from the army of the dead.

Loki: we are close.

as the two approach the open field of Asphodel Meadows they see an  army of souls fighting another  pushing the other back toward an opening in the ground that glows  reddish from the flames of Tartarus.

Ares: the cry of battle is music to my ears, can you not feel it Asgardian?

Loki: i do sense something askew in this realm, Lord Ares. something is not right in this realm.

Suddenly the ground shakes in rhythm to what could only be footsteps, Ares prepares for battle as he reaches for his sword and shield turning to meet the threat he sees a The  Minotaur  fast approaching as it tackles Ares knocking his sword from his grip.

Ares: Aarrhh!! 

Loki: Minotaur!!(Vanishes)

Ares: coward!
Come Minotaur!

Minotaur: i be not the Cretan Bull!

As they struggle the Minotaur pounds on Ares who'se only defense is an ancient shield each blow warping the shield offering little use to Ares the God of War. Gritting his teeth as he tries a way to defend himself from a monster whose strength rivals that of his half brother Hercules..

Ares: Nay, thou are not the Cretan Bull!

Minotaur: i be Achelous ! 
i be a a River God! 

Ares: A god that would serve another!
a minor God!

Ares comments further enraging  Achelous grabbing the warped shield and tossing it aside and grabbing Ares by the throat and picking him up to stare at his enemy.. Ares desperate stabs Achelous in the throat with a  knife hand forcing Achelous to drop him and instinctively grab his throat..

Ares: now Monster know what it is to face a true God, Ares Son of Zeus!

Achelous: bah!! i have face your kind son of Zeus!
the pretty spoiled gods who live in Mount Olympus!
i will defeat you as i have your brother Heracles!

Ares: aye, the spoiled gods of Olympus are meowing kittens...
but i have fangs and teeth of a rabid dog!
i do not play unlike my half brother Hercules, I kill!!

Achelous lumbers forward as he swings at Ares, Ares strength not equal to the monster ducks and pivots as he counters with his own punches toward the Minotaurs head.. the tail of the Minotaur alive and acting instinctively lounges at Ares. Ares seeing it grabs it and yanks it off of Achelous...  Achelous screams in agony and reflexively backhands sending Ares skitting across the field...

Achelous: Aarrgghh!!
I'll kill you!

Ares rising to his feet still with the snake tail in hand tosses it aside as he stares at the Minotaur... the snake tail still alive as it begins to bend and twist righting itself and slither back to the two gods... Loki reappearing sees the snake tail and smiles... quietly Loki begins to cast a minor spell of illusion on the serpent not much from what was once expected from the god of evil but enough for the trickster god... once finished Loki keeps his distance from the fight and watches it unfold as the gods fight and the snake slithers to the fray.

Ares: I am already dead!

both charging at each other the Minotaur swings while Ares ducks and wraps his arms around the Minotaur squeezing Achelous arms tightly pressed against the minotaurs own neck which Ares knows will only buy him a few precious moments his strength not on par to his despised half brother let alone this minor god. Becoming desperate Ares with  all  his strength kicks in the Minotaurs knee blowing it out and releasing him unable to maintain hold of the bucking god-Bull...

Achelous: Ares!
you buffoon of all the gods! 
I'll Kill you!!

Ares: is that all you can say?!

unknowingly the snake has slithered back to the fray as it stands up and stares at both combatants suddenly making its choice it leaps and bites down on it's perceive enemy releasing its venom...

Achelous: Arrgghh!!
 it, it, bit me?!

Ares: who is the buffoon now?!

Achelous squeezes his own snake tail killing it and tossing it aside....... Ares sees out of the corner of his eye and sees his ally Loki in the distance smiling proud of his actions... Ares smiles as well knowing that the poison may not kill Achelous but has made it slow and clumsy with his injuries he knows he can win this battle... Achelous now swings wildly his enemy has become a blur from the poison.. Ares taking advantage of this jumps on the Minotaurs back as he attempts to break his neck still a difficult choir as the minotaur continues to struggle... finally Ares grabs the Bull's remaining horn and attempts to break it putting all his strength behind his effort..

Ares:  aarrhh! (strains to break the horn)
today you too die!

Achelous: aarrgh! ( is forced into the ground by his one remaining horn)

finally Ares succeeds snapping the horn with the horn in hand Ares raises it up while Achelous is in shock and plunges it down onto Achelous's throat... Achelous grabs his throat as his life bloods begins to leak out unto the ground...

Ares: tell me, monster...
where does the dead go if one is already in Hades?!

almost as if the underworld was answering his question, Achelous is consumed in flames as he screams in a gargled voice as blood fills his lungs and the flames adds to his agony.. the flames consuming Achelous rises to the air and flies straight into the gaping hole of Tartarus as the flames of Tartarus rises to  create it's new occupant.  Ares tired and exhausted drops to his knees as Loki approaches...

Loki: now is no time for rest Ares... 

Loki pointing at the distance as the army of Hades come toward them after witnessing Ares defeating their champion god who has kept the Armies of Tartarus at bay for so long, they are angered now their once Guardian god, Captain of the armies of  Pluto may now be their worse enemy...

Ares: Let them come!

Loki: this not be our war, Ares!
we were to reach thy Uncle not fight his armies!

Ares: If i have to fight the Army of the Damn to get to my uncle then let it be so!!
I'm War!!

As if his cry of anger was an invitation to the armies of the underworld the ground trembles the realm shakes as if his fury commanded the realm... The Army of Hades split off one staying at the maul of Tartarus maintaining the Damn at bay while the others march toward Ares.. The Army made up of mythical creatures now forgotten by time, others loyal soldiers and followers of death and even some souls who no longer have memory who simply respond to the strongest will on the battle field a spirit who once drank from the Waters of Forgetfulness(Lethe). These spirits do as Pluto commands but are clumsy Golems.. As they approach the Golems appear to become more agitated turning at each other picking up on Ares rage... Worriedly those not effected attack Ares hoping to maintain order while curiously ignoring Loki as if they do not see him...

Ares rises to meet the enemy as he runs toward the using his godly strength toss them aside swords and spears shatter upon impact on his skin... the armies unable to match his fury bring out chains as Ares mercilessly tears through the army.. the underworld golems attacking anything that move infected by Ares rage and lust for war.. screams can be herd! 

Army captains: Bring the chains!!
Hold him down!!

Ares still too tired from his fight with Achelous is eventually overcome by the armies of the dead, the weight to much for not all were mortal souls...finally they shackle him with chains forged by Hephaestus himself robbing the god of his godly attributes... as the armies pull back away from Ares.. they smile at their work Ares humiliated shackled by a  collar like a dog his wrist also shackled the chains running to his collar... Ares angrily on his knees...

one of the soldiers garbed in gold and wolf furs appears to be a Captain approaches Ares....

soldier: now, what have we here?( grabs Ares chin).

Ares: and who are you?! 
little mortal..

The soldier stares at Ares unafraid as Ares forcibly  jerks toward the Greek/Roman Soldier and is held back by his shackles and the undead who hold his chains....

Soldier:  i am an honored Captain of Lord Hades, Remus of Rome...

Ares: staring down at Remus glares at him and raises his lip showing his teeth in contempt.

Captain Remus:  some of my men have said they saw you in company of another, is this true? 
Have you found yourself a traitorous guide?

Ares maintains his silence as he stares at this soldier...

Captain Remus: very well... perhaps Lord Hades can make you talk..
 i believe he might be  interested in you, godling? 

Captain Remus gives a command to his men as they begin to march  further into the underworld toward Lord Hades dragging Ares along  a golem soul on each side and one behind him... Ares angrily looks  to the right and sees Cerberus the three headed giant dog of the underworld helping fight back the armies of Tartarus... as Ares turns at his Jailer he sees into it's eyes as this supposedly empty spirit looks back and smiles as his eyes glow... Ares realizing that Loki has hidden himself inside one who has no will, smiles at his guile as they continue to march...

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/war-rise-of-ares-part-3/590809/#2