W2O: The Sexton's Daughter: Last Days of Karen Mack #2

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

W2O: The Sexton's Daughter: Last Days of Karen Mack #2

For more information checkout on the city of Twilight check out the library provided by the wonderful @waezi2:

Missed Last Issue? Check it out here

________________________________________________________________________________________

Hannigan's Bar and Grill, Twilight

Hannigan's Bar and Grill was very much a throwback to the Twilight City of a decade or so ago, back when the mystical undertones of the city were fought against, back when there were people to fight it. Karen remembered the first time Hendrix had brought her in here to unwind after one particularly long shift involving an investigation into a cult that practised ritual cannabilisum, every visit since then made the place seem more decrepit as the quasi-mystical sceptics drunk until all the magic of the city was eclipsed by the evils of alcohol.

Walking up to the bar, she watched as a man sitting in the booth in the corner watched her from behind a pair of dark glasses. Coupled with his long braided red hair and green leather jacket and trousers the man was conspicuous when set against the backdrop of scruffy drunks and down on their luck hustlers. Ignoring him Karen turned to the wizened bar tender, his old suit gleaming under the strobe lights over the bar.

"What can I get for you officer?" The bartender asked, his voice still carrying the tang of his native tongue.

"I'm looking for Owen, I was meant to be meeting him here." Karen stated, as the man dressed in green watched from his booth. Karen noticed that he wasn't the only person watching with an interest, a pair of young men dressed in leather trench-coats emblazoned with a red-pin on the collar.

"He was here about half an hour ago." The bartender stated, before gesturing Karen to move in closer. "The young gentlemen bought him a drink before one of them drove him home, neither one of them has returned yet." He whispered, as he opened the till. "Hendrix did pay his tab though, I thought you may want to see." He added as he handed a dollar bill to Karen. "I assume you want your usual officer?"

"Uh thanks." Karen answered as she took the bill and turned it over in her hands. As far as she could see there wasn't anything unusual about the note. Taking the lime and soda the bartender had poured out she took both items to a vacant table. As she did the two young men sauntered over, their hands in their pockets amplifying the malice rolling off them.

"Officer may we sit?" One of them asked, as the second man sat down on a chair before being invited. "I would put your money away, it attracts the gaze of those who would take it from you."

"Such as you and your friend here." Karen answered as she placed a protective hand over the dollar bill.

"You have us all wrong miss, we are many things but we are not thieves. No we are willing to trade that old bank note for this freshly minted one." The first man stated, as his friend drew a bank note from the cuff of his trench-coat.

"It's not for sale." Karen answered, as she locked onto the pin on the coats of the two men. There was a symbol there, but it was too worn and too small to make out what it was.

"Please reconsider officer." The first man ordered, his voice now beginning to sound impatient, even threatening. Seconds later the man dressed in green bumped into the table, a stack of unbound dollar bills fluttering onto the table.

"I'm so sorry lads and lassie," The man in green chirped in an Irish accent as he bent down and picked up a bill. "I believe this one was yours was it not lassie?" He added as he held up a dollar bill. Before she could say anything one of the seated men snatched the note from the Irish gentlemen.

"Thank you, make sure we don't see either of you again." The second trench-coat wearing man grunted, as he and his friend got up from their seats and left the table.

"Who the hell are you!?" Karen spat as the thugs left the bar. "There was something about that note..." She shook her head in anger, her words lost due to the sheer fury she was feeling for the man in green.

"Aye there was." The man in green agreed as he picked the lime out of Karen's soda and drizzled it over the bills, the juice causing one of the notes to bleed colour and reveal a hidden word. "I believe that one was yours." The man stated as Karen picked up the hidden message.

"As I said before, who the hell are you?" Karen asked, as she looked at the single word Hendrix had scribbled over the bill.

"Consider me an interested party lass." The man in green replied as he picked up his money.

"What do you know about those guys and what they did to my former partner?" Karen asked, as the man shuffled the notes back into the sleeve of his jacket.

"You misunderstand, it's not that I have an interest in." The mysterious man replied as he headed for the door of the bar. "It's why Death is resting his hand on your shoulder."

Honeydew Sugar-mill, Twilight

Officer Silvers and Officer Allen walked over to the warehouse, their presence summoned by the silent alarm. Walking over to the ripped open doors, both officers drew their handguns and stepped into the warehouse.

"Dispatch this is Officer Allen, we're investigating a disturbance at the Old Honeydew Warehouse." Allen called over the radio, as Silvers moved to the back of the warehouse where an alter was set up, bowls of coffee beans and alcohol overseen by a hassock doll dressed in a waistcoat of bone. "We also have an occult structure on the premises." She added as her radio cut out. "Dispatch, come in dispatch." She called, as Silvers let out a gasp as his flesh rotted away.

"Good evening officers." A high pitched voice stated, as Allen looked around the room for the source of the voice.

"Who are you? Where are you?" Allen called, as Silver's organs floated out of his ribcage, each one of them circling around Allen's body. Tracking her partners organs, Allen saw a gaunt figure standing in the shadows.

"They call me Baron Samedi, but that is just a guise for who I really am Officer." The man replied, his words causing the organs to burst into flame, the ashes caring Allen's skin to reveal scaly skin. "Just as your name is a guise for what I need to be." Samedi stated as Allen's arms and legs shrivelled away and her head became more serpentine. Slithering out of her uniform Allen's gleaming red, yellow and black body slithered towards Baron Samedi, the voodoo priest bending down as he let the snake slither through his fingers.

"Misour Baron are we ready?" A female voice announced as a dark skinned woman dressed in a loincoth and bra stepped out of the shadows, her braided hair runing down to the small of her back.

"Yes this is yours as is your new uniform Evangeline." Baron Samedi stated, as he draped Allen around his acolytes neck, the transformed police officer crystallising into a glass necklace. "Your target is a fellow officer," He added as he placed a hand on Evangeline's forehead, "you will know her when you see her." He added. "Bring her to me alive, I plan to do more than kill her, I plan to see her serve me in all the ways you serve me." He added, as he kissed Evangeline's neck. "In every way possible."

22 Hollow Tree Lane, Twilight

The door of Officer Hendrix's apartment was open when Karen Mack arrived on the scene. Silently she entered his apartment and drew her pistol, before walking through the house checking every room. Entering the kitchen Karen saw dirty footprints leading across the room leading from the basement to the rest of the house. Taking a deep breath Karen headed down the stairs into the storeroom, the lights already on revealing a chair in the middle of the room surrounded by a pool of blood.

"Hendrix are you down here!?" Karen called as she approached the chair, a set of handcuffs wrapped around the arm of the chair. "Hendrix what were you doing?" She asked, before pulling out the dollar bill left for her, her mind racing as she read the word written on the note. "What does 'Geistfaust' mean?" She asked as she walked around the storeroom to where the window covered by a sheet of drawing paper. Running her hand across the shutter, Karen saw what looked like a mark running across the shutter. Sniffing her finger Karen's eyes widened, the residual acid from the lime and soda was still there and just as with the note, it had revealed a secret message on the paper.

"What did you write here?" Karen asked, as she headed for the stairs, just as a hatch in the floor opened to reveal a man dressed in a trench-coat, "And where did you end up?" She added, as she closed the door just as the man climbed out into the basement, his hands gravitating to a nail-gun on the workbench strapped to the wall.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Geistfaust? Well that would be Ghost fist... not that that makes anymore sense...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ja Herr @stahlflamme: it makes no sense...for now. Thanks for the comment

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HeroUp2112

This is cool stuff. What happened to Officer Allen though, or are we going to find out later?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: We'll find that out later, but be assured that having your organs removed by voodoo is not good for you.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers