Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Thunderbolts #6 - Jury of your Peers

For more information on characters click here for the character list thus far

Missed Last Issue - Click Here to Catch Up

No Caption Provided

“You can't cage Superia!!” The scrawny man yelled, as he was restrained with a straight jacket, and put in a cell by two bulky, very uncomfortable looking guards. “I swear when I get out of here I will…” The screen froze and then turned off as Tony Stark tapped his gauntlet. Looking round the room, he took in the meeting of the senior Avengers members and shook his head, before turning back to the screen on the back wall, displaying a blonde haired woman dressed in a business suit.

“Dr Cooper, we can't say we approve of your actions at Black Oak prison.” Tony stated, “Such facilities were designed to reduce the active criminal population, something you knew, and yet you investigated without getting permission from SHIELD.”

“Tony, the facility was run by Superia.” The emaciated form of Steve Rogers announced, “And from what the report shows, illegal activities.”

“We can discuss Black Oaks legitimacy for hours.” Carol Danvers sighed, “What we need to discuss is the legitimacy of the Thunderbolts.”

No Caption Provided

“What do you mean legitimacy?” Dr Cooper asked, as she shifted slightly on the screen. “The CSA has worked with super criminals before, and with the assistance of reformed characters such as MACH VI and Songbird, I believe we can make this team work.”

“As much as I would like to believe that they have reformed, Songbird and MACH VI have done some very suspicious things recently.” Tony stated, “Songbird participated in an armed robbery and MACH VI attacked the Red Hulk while he was on official Avengers business.”

“I can’t believe that you're holding this against them!” Clint Barton hissed, as he got to his feet. “Which one of us, hasn't ended up fighting someone on our own side due to a misunderstanding. As for the robbery, it’s stated in the report that it was part of the mission, and that the two thieves never actually stole anything.”

“I’ve got to go with Barton on this one.” Luke Cage grumbled, as he took a sip of coffee, “Melissa and Abner can be trusted to help run this team.”

“I’m sorry,” Tony snorted, “but I'm not going to clean up after the Thunderbolts again. If this had come before Osborne’s takeover I wouldn’t have a problem, but we all know Songbird was on his team, one that barely worked within the confines of the law. If she could really be trusted, then she would have shut Osborne down before he got control of SHIELD.”

“We all failed to do that.” Steve told him, before shooting a supporting look at Clint. “We can't hang Osborne’s mistakes over this team of Thunderbolt’s head.”

“Yeah team!” Sam Wilson snorted. “You seen who they have; Atlas, Rock Python and Deadly Nightshade. I don’t trust Tilda not to use this to get revenge, that woman used to turn people into werewolves! Hell Steve she turned you and me into wolves once, not to mention try turning you into a woman while she worked for Superia!!”

“Really Falcon,” Hawkeye grunted, “several Avengers have been criminals before they joined. Quicksilver, the Hulk, the Scarlet Witch, Luke, even you and me have been on the wrong side of the law before we joined the team.”

“Our crimes were very different Hawkeye.” Sam replied calmly, “Attempted world domination is not the same a petty theft and kidnapping.”

“Yes they are different.” Clint sighed, “However, I remember what Wanda did, and yet we still are willing to give her the benefit of the doubt every single time. It feels a little hypocritical to condemn the Thunderbolts, when our ranks have done things that are just as bad.”

“Base villainy doth be base villainy,” Thor stated, “liars and thieves rarely change their nature, and these Thunderbolts have had many chances, and have spat at them all.”

“You can continue this argument as long as you want,” Dr Cooper hissed, “all I need to know, is will SHIELD and the Avengers support a new Thunderbolts charter.”

“We won’t back a new team of Thunderbolts.” Tony replied coldly. “Any actions by the members of your team of Thunderbolts, will be considered an illegal act by the Avengers, and will face recrimination.” He added, only to be answered by a slamming of fists on a desk, and the sound of a chair scraping backwards. “Clint will you please…”

No Caption Provided

“No Tony, I won’t!!” Clint yelled, “This isn't about Osborne, or criminal actions of the past or even that the Thunderbolts would be allied to another security network. No its about security and sanctity, if the Thunderbolts work, if they manage to beat the odds and become heroes, then you have to face the possibility that a criminal such as Rock Python or Atlas is as good as you. And the majority of you pride yourself in being better than the people we face take comfort that they will never be like this. But if the Thunderbolts win, then everything you hold onto is turned upside down.”

“Clint!” Steve yelled, his voice regaining some of the authority and power of the man he had been. “What your saying may be correct, but we should be looking at this from the other side, if the Thunderbolts win and prove they can be our equals, it means that others can change. I say give the Thunderbolts this second chance, we may be surprised what comes from it.”

“Steve, these are people like…” Sam began to say, only to be silence by a stern look.

“Dr Cooper, you have permission to create a new Thunderbolts charter, just so long as you submit to performance reviews from Avengers personnel.” Steve told the woman on the screen. “At least until we are sure you can be trusted.”

“Thank you Captain.” Valerie answered, before giving the man a brisk salute. “Cooper out, have a nice day gentlemen.” She added, before turning off the screen, and facing the two people behind her. “How do you plan to keep their loyalty Miss Gold?” She asked, as Songbird looked over at Abe, his face covered by the MACH VI armour’s helmet.

“Well most previous Thunderbolts regimes have favoured the stick, over the carrot.” Melissa sighed, “Be it Zemo’s threats of exposure, Osborne’s nanites, even Luke and Clint weren't afraid to point out the consequences if we did something wrong.”

“Yes but Clint also made sure we knew what we could get, even if it meant bending the truth a bit.” Abe added, as he brought up a holographic display. “And we know what Erik, Curtis and Tilda want, they have all, at one time or another tried to reform, and that makes motivating them easily.”

“What about security?” Valerie asked. “These people are dangerous.”

“So are members of the Avengers, but they don't have nanites in their head to encourage good behaviour.” Abe answered bluntly. “It will be hard at first, but the only solution is to trust them, and hope it pays off.”

“Still sounds too risky.” Valerie answered, “But at the moment the CSA is low on superhuman agents, so I’ll let it go for now. I don't need to tell you that we haven’t have many fans in SHIELD or the Avengers, just make sure that you tread carefully when dealing with your team-mates, and the rest of the superhuman community, I have a horrible feeling that this is the last chance they'll offer us.”

Abe and Melissa walked into the living room of the CSA safe house, carefully watching the three people sitting on the sofa. Out of costume, they looked like any other group of normal people, staying in and enjoying a movie, and not the deadly criminals they actually were. “Well we finished talking to the Avengers.” Melissa announced, her voice causing all three villains to turn and face her.

“So pardons all around?” Nightshade asked, as she held up her gauze covered arm.

No Caption Provided

“Not this time, they are however willing to overlook any arrest warrants you have on one condition.” Abe told them.

“What’s that Abe?” Erik asked a worried look on his face.

“They want you to stay under our supervision.” Melissa stated, as various looks of amazement or disgust showed on the criminals faces. “The alternative is a lengthy prison sentence.”

“So what we’re just meant to be your lackeys?” Nightshade spat, “No thanks I’d rather take prison.”

“If that’s what you want, but there are some perks to becoming a Thunderbolt.” Abe told her, “Freedom, respect and eventually a pardon for example, although we have personalised some things for you and Curtis.” He added, as Nightshade cocked her head in confusion.

“Tilda we read your file,” Melissa stated, “you wanted to be a doctor a few years back, a proper doctor rather then some mad genius working out of a warehouse. Is that still something you want?”

“Yes, I’d do anything to do that.” Nightshade gasped, “But my criminal record and lack of official training are used against me.”

“Burton Canyon University has a medical college, and while it’s not the best the CSA are willing to pay for your tuition, providing of course you stay with us.” Melissa told her, a smile stretched across her face. “As for your prison record, well anything you do with the Thunderbolts should help balance it out.”

”What about me?” Rock Python asked before Nightshade could say anything. “I don't think a college education would help me.”

“How about citizenship?” Abe asked, “Not to mention a CSA backed investigation to the apartheid government of Rudyarda? I remember you being vocal about their treatment of its citizens, back when I was still the Beetle.”

No Caption Provided

“You’d take on a country for me?” Rock Python asked, his voice bristling with surprise and mistrust. “And all I would have to do is help you?”

“Yes, but in essence you're helping yourself.” Melissa announced. “Abe, Erik and me are all examples that this can work, but only if your willing to put the work in.”

“I think I’m willing.” Nightshade gasped, “The only problem is…I've never had anyone offer to help me like this before, at least not since I worked for the Black Panther. Do you promise to keep your word, and that this isn't some kind of trick to make us behave.”

“We thought about that.” Melissa announced, as Valerie Cooper walked in with a stack of papers. “So we had Dr. Cooper draw up some contracts, proof that we will keep our word.” She added as a contract was handed to each of the criminals. “Take your time; make sure this is what you want to do before you sign. We’ll be in the back room should you need to talk to us about anything.” She added as Abe and Valerie left, before following them out.

“So what are they promising you Erik?” Nightshade asked, as she ran her fingers along the contract.

“Unlimited parole and a regular paycheck.” Erik answered, “As well as respecting my new found beliefs.”

“I look at this, and it’s like they've put all my dreams on a piece of paper.” Nightshade told him, “And all there asking is for me to do, is to do what I do only for the other side. It just feels…almost too good to be true.”

“There doesn't seem to be anything to try and catch us out.” Rock Python asked, as he held his contact up to the light. “I don’t know what to do about this? Erik you’ve done this before, would they keep there word?”

“Yes, they've never given me reason to doubt their word before.” Erik announced. “It won’t be easy, and there will be times when you want to quit, taking what you have and running as far and fast as you can, but the end result is worth it if you stay the course.” He added, as he signed his own contract. “Think of it, can you afford not to take the leap?”

“I will if you will.” Nightshade told Rock Python.

“We’re in this together then.” Rock Python stated, as he signed his contract, as Nightshade took a deep breath, and signed her own with her name. Getting to their feet, the three of them walked into the back-room where Abe and Melissa were waiting.

“All signed.” Erik told them, as he placed the contracts on the desk. Flipping through them Melissa signed them, before handing them to Abe, who followed suite.

“Well guys.” Melissa announced a smile on her face, “Welcome to the Thunderbolts.”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By waezi2

@impurestcheese: For some reason, I won't notified. Maybe the others haven't been tagged as well. You better try again.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By waezi2

@impurestcheese: Also, look forward to see what the Thunderbolts first mission will be.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: A very heated one as a forgotten Thor villain makes a return in the service to the Empire

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ostyo: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#9 cbishop  Online

@impurestcheese: I got both notifications. How many T'bolts series have you done now? I've lost count.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ImpurestCheese
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop  Online

@impurestcheese: Nah, there was the original series, a New T' series, a crossover series, and at least one other one, I think. And now this one.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: One Series and two seasons for Marvel Mayhem with crossovers is the only other one I wrote

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cbishop  Online
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: arti-choke

Thanks for reading :-)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cbishop  Online
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Uh...okay, that thank you was from the future....

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thank goodness for the second notification and also, yay Clint and boo Tony.

Sounds like there's a team about to have some fun. Thanks for continuing to tag me.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Don't be too hard on Tony, his reasons have some validity especially considering some of the stuff the Thunderbolts have done in the past. Also thanks for the comment, :-)

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@impurestcheese: I love that Hawkeye fought for this team and that Cap made the decision to okay them. Hoping more characters get added in later issues.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@stumpy49er: Hawkeye was the leader of the Thunderbolts so it makes sense for him to support the Thunderbolts. In addition Hawk is a former villain so he gets it :-)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Nice! That's how you put a team together. :) Great work, this is definitely shapimg up to be a well-designed story. Fun to see the Avengers weigh in on things, too.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Thanks, it was designed to be a slow burning team formation arc. Also I couldn't resist having some Avengers input into wether the team should stay or be broken up