The Greatest Swordsman Round one

Avatar image for soldier_kingston
Soldier_Kingston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys. So this is my first part in what I hope will be a successful series. I like characters with swords and I thought that it would be fun if they were pitted against each other. I hope you enjoy it and just to get it out of the way, the results of the battles are not an official declaration of who would win out of the two characters, so dont take it too seriously. Let me know what you think

The Greatest Swordsman- Round 1: Kirito Vs Link

15:30 Sword Art Online

The battle was finally won. To think it would take over 5 hours to beat back the uprising murderous guild, ‘The Demons Blade’. Causalities were heavy on both sides, but it was safe to say that this day belonged to the ‘Knights of the Blood’. Asuna wiped her forehead and smiled, turning her head towards Kirito, who was marching a few prisoners they had captured during the conflict. He turned his head and caught Asuna looking at him, who then turned red and looked away. Kirito smiled. He couldn’t help but fall in love with her, although the pair had not yet fully discussed their feelings. As the crowd drew thin he noticed that Asuna had stayed behind and decided that as he was in no rush, he’d stick around in an effort to get closer.

“Hey! You should be proud. You fought well today” He said, whilst rubbing his head.

“Oh...thanks. You did too! I saw you take out those three guys when they cornered you. Not many people can do that” She nervously replied.

“Eh, that was nothing. Anyone can do that with enough experience” Kirito began to loosen up, but was still nervous over what he was about to say next. “So...Asuna..”

“Yes, Kirito?” Asuna replied, drawing closer.

“I...you know I just wanted to say-” Kirito stopped talking as he noticed his body seemed to suddenly become pixellated. “What the hell?” Suddenly the pixels began to disappear, seemingly evaporating into nothingness. “Asuna, I...”

“KIRITO!!!” Asuna screamed as Kirito’s avatar vanished from view, leaving behind a digital message reading ‘Player Connection lost’

12:30 Hylian Fields

“By the Goddesses, the Princess will not be pleased with me” The green tunic clad hero thought to himself as he galloped through the fields on his trusted steed, Epona. “To think that there would be a port raid at this time of day. And on today of all days. The day the Princess holds a feast in my honour! The one day I can’t be late!”

Link spurred his horse on to gallop even faster, determined to reach the castle before it was too late. As he reached the bridge into town, he was displeased to see that it was about to be raised. He had no choice but to attempt the jump. He focused on his target and pressed forward. Timing the jump just right, his horse leaped from the ground and sailed through the air with tremendous grace. Upon landing on the other side, he was treated to the raucous cheers of the townspeople on the other side, amazed by the impressive display that the Hero of Time had put on for them. He returned their cheers with the wave of his arm and a smile. However, he shook his head and realised he had no time to bask. He set off as quick as before onwards toward the castle. He approached the entrance to the castle and dismounted off his horse. Nervously, he scrubbed himself down and readjusted his emerald cap. With a deep breath, he strolled into the castle and made his way to the main reception hall. Upon opening the doors, he saw numerous guests sat down in their chairs, clapping the hero as he walked down the middle of the room. He raised his arms in the air in a triumphant manner, nodding and waving to all the various guests. His smile was wiped off his face when he saw the Princess sitting down on her throne, arms crossed. She raised her eyebrow and pointed to the clock on the wall.

“How can you be the Hero of Time if you can’t even keep track of it?” The Princess playfully asked.

“Well, how could you be a Princess if your words are so manly?”

Suddenly the room grew quiet and the atmosphere grew tense. Slowly, the Princess began chuckling, causing the guests to lighten up and also join in the laughter. Link placed his hands on his hips and started to laugh as well, until he noticed a strange light emit from theTriforce on his hand. Suddenly his body started to become distorted and somewhat pixellated. The guests gasped as they saw the Hero of Time begin to vanish right in front of them. His last movement was to raise a hand in the Princesses’ direction, who in turn rose from her throne and raised her hand back to him.

A large flash of light had awoken the two heroes, who were shocked to find themselves flat on the ground of a mysterious landscape. They both stood up, rather groggily, and tried to make sense of their surroundings. The area they had found themselves in was vast and full of grey, generic shapes and structures. As Link finished gathering his bearings, he turned to face the only other person in this empty wasteland. The boy seemed to be around his age, but probably younger. He was clad in a black cloak, with a black sword strapped to his back. Link’s first instinct was to attack this mysterious person, but upon closer inspection, it was clear that he was as clueless as Link was. Kirito had also reached the same conclusion about Link. Judging by his sword and shield, as well as the green clothing, Kirito assumed that this other person was a member of a forest guild.

“Excuse me, do you know where we are? I can’t seem to bring up the main menu!”

“Yeah...I have no idea what a main menu is. I was hoping you would know what realm of Hyrule this is in”

“Hyrule?” Kirito exclaimed, “Is that where your guild comes from or-”

A beam of light suddenly shot up into the sky, creating a large screen. A shrouded figure appeared on the screen, catching the heroes’ attention.

“Link from Hyrule, Hero of Time, and Kirito, famous hero of the MVMORPG Sword Art Online, I welcome you. This is the Grey Zone!!” The mysterious voice boomed.

“Gee, I wonder how you came up with that” Kirito said rolling his eyes.

“What do you want with us fiend?” Link said, crossing his arms.

“Ahh yes, straight to the point. It’s simple really. I wish to find the greatest swordsman. You two are part of my search and so you will fight to the death. You will only be able to use your swords and shields if you have them. Anything else is prohibited” The voice casually replied.

“I don’t just kill people for someone else’s amusement. That is unbecoming of someone who is called a hero.” Link stated.

“Right. What he said!” Kirito chimed in, although he was prepared to kill for his survival. After all, he had been doing so the entire time he was in SAO.

“Very well then. I respect your choice. I won’t force you into doing anything you don’t want to do. Oh, did I mention that if you don’t fight, I’ll simply leave you here to starve to death. The choice is yours. Bye” The screen abruptly disappeared after the voice stopped talking, leaving the two heroes with nothing to do but stare at each other. For a while they simply stood there, breathing in and out, brains working at a hundred miles per hour thinking of a way out of their predicament. Eventually, Kirito broke the silence.

“Listen, uh, Link. I’m sorry but I have people who need my help. If I don’t get back to help them, there is a good chance that they could die. I can’t abandon them. I’m not one to put my life ahead of someone else but-”

“ I understand Kirito. Were I not afraid for Hyrule’s safety in my disappearance, I would gladly lay down my life for you to live. But I cannot afford that, especially as we have only just returned to peace.”

The two heroes nodded at each other and drew their swords simultaneously. They got into their fighting stance and stared at each other. After a few moments of circling each other, Kirito decided to go on the offensive. He sprinted towards Link, thrusting his sword out in front of him. Link blocked the attack with his shield effortlessly, before shoving Kirito back. Whilst Kirito was off balance, Link swung his sword towards his head. Kirito was happy to learn that his reaction and speed was still present despite the fact the he was no longer in SAO and dodged the attack before side stepping around Link. Before he could launch a strike, Link performed a masterful back flip, landing himself right behind Kirito. He charged the energy within the Master Sword and spun around on the spot, with the sword outstretched. Kirito managed to block the attack just in time, but the force of the spin was so powerful it sent him hurdling through the air landing hard on his back. After a few moments, he opened his eyes to find Link leaping through the air, preparing to stab him in the face. Kirito rolled out of the path of the blade, which then jammed hard into the ground. Kirito rose to his feet, while Link struggled to remove the Master Sword from the floor.

“Man, this guy’s tough. I didn’t think I’d have to resort to this but it seems I’ll have to reveal my trump card. I was hoping I’d be able to do this around a bigger audience but, oh well!” Kirito then made a second sword manifest itself into his left hand and charged once again towards Link. Link was still struggling to pull his sword out of the ground but looked up at the right time to see the oncoming attack. At the last second he leaned back out of the path of one sword, before cart wheeling away from the swing of another sword, totally separating him from the reach of his own blade. He held his shield in front of him and prepared himself for the barrage of attacks that Kirito was now unleashing on him. Link felt himself overwhelmed by the strikes, slipping further and further backwards. Seemingly out of options, he crouched down on the floor and waited for Kirito to lose steam. Kirito continued his assault, convinced that he would break through the shield eventually, or at least force it out of Link’s hands. As Kirito grew visibly tired, Link suddenly leaped up to his feet, slamming the shield into Kirito’s mid section. As Kirito stumbled back, winded from the attack, Link threw his shield at his opponents feet, causing him to trip and once again land on his back. Unfortunately for Kirito, the fall made him let go of one of his swords, which then fell into Link’s reach. They both stood up, each with one sword in hand and charged at each other with fierce determination.

Their swords clashed together in a manner so synchronised, it almost seemed rehearsed. During the confrontation, Link could not help but to admire the skill of his adversary.

“It’s a shame I didn’t meet you in different circumstances Kirito” Link said, without taking his eyes off the swords, “You truly are a gifted swordsman!”

“I feel the same way about you Link. I reckon we could have been very good friends” Kirito nodded. The pair continued to clash swords until Link broke the struggle with a swift headbutt to Kirito’s face. Capitalising on the momentary advantage, Link took a swipe at Kirito’s leg, causing a deep cut forcing him to fall to the ground in pain. Link then front flipped over Kirito and once he landed, he walked over to his Master Sword and picked it up, discarding the blade he already had in his hand. He returned to Kirito who then performed a last effort lunge from the ground. Link deflected the sword away and sliced at Kirito’s other leg, completely restricting any further movement.

“You fought well Kirito, which is why I have spared you the honour of being killed by your own weapon.”

“Thank you...I guess” Kirito nodded, whilst catching his breath. Link raised his Master Sword in a salute to his defeated opponent, then pointed it at him in preparation to deliver the final blow.

“Goodbye Kirito!” Link plunged the sword into Kirito’s chest, causing Kirito to gasp for breath. The pain was intense and Kirito could feel himself slipping away from consciousness. His only thought was of Asuna.

“I’m sorry Asuna. I only wish that I...could tell...” He then closed his eyes and waited for death to claim him. Several moments later, he realised that he would probably have to wait a little longer. Despite the fact that there was clearly a sword through his chest, he didn’t seem to be dying any time soon.

“I don’t understand..”

“Perhaps I could be of assistance” The two heroes looked up into the sky to see that the screen had returned with the mysterious voice. “I was only playing when I said this was to the death. I had to. How else would I get you to fight seriously?”

“...What?” Link said, furiously.

“You guys should be proud. You put on a very good show. Especially that heartwarming part at the end. Too bad that was all for nothing because no one dies today. Yayyy!!”

“WHAT???” Link repeated.

“Ok, I see this is going nowhere, so I’ll just carry on. Congratulations Link. You are the victor and so you will progress to the next round. Kirito, you are the loser and so you will be returned to Sword Art Online. Thank you very much for participating.” Suddenly Kirito’s body once again became pixellated and began to vanish. Link turned to face him.

“Farewell Kirito. I hope we will see each other again. It was a pleasure to fight with you”

“Yeah, goodbye Link. I look forward to our rematch” Kirito replied, saluting Link. He then vanished completely out of the Grey Zone.

15:31 Sword Art Online

“KIRITO!!” Asuna shouted “Kirito, come back. Where are you?”

“I’m right here!” Kirito replied, startling Asuna. She turned around to see Kirito materialising back into the game.

“Oh Kirito” She screamed, engulfing him in a bearhug. After a few moments, she withdrew from the hug and cleared her throat, her cheeks rosy and flushed. “What the hell happened?”

“Uhh-”Kirito thought for a second. “I guess my connection just isn’t as good as everyone else’s. It was bound to glitch eventually. I guess I should have told you about it”

“Hmmph. Typical. I don’t know why I was worried anyway” Asuna said, in a vain attempt to cover up her true feelings. She then strutted off in a huff, leaving Kirito to trail after her with a smile on his face. He couldn’t help but wonder about what would happen to Link next and whether they would meet again....

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Frisky4

The Spectre is the greatest swordsman of all.

Not kidding:

Couldn't find scans of him in a swordfight, a little too obscure of a search, but I found this instead.
Couldn't find scans of him in a swordfight, a little too obscure of a search, but I found this instead.

You're welcome.

Avatar image for soldier_kingston
Soldier_Kingston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Soldier_Kingston
Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldier_kingston: No, the Spectre that went toe to toe with Michael the Angel.

Unbound