Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 2nd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #20

DateCB 1-ShotsViewRead the...
09/11/14The Day the Vikings Landed(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating Explanation
TMild swearing.
I ran through the water, my falcon trailing from above.
I ran through the water, my falcon trailing from above.

I ran through the water, my falcon trailing from above. Manjaro the Manslayer strode easily through the surf, hefting his mace as easily as a child does a stick. We met at the side of Finnrick the Fine only seconds apart. "My lord..." I started, but was cut off.

"Ulrich the Unnatural, you damned shaman! What in the nine hells have you done? Where have you brought us?" demanded Finnrick. His blonde locks danced in the wind.

"I'm not sure, my lord. My familiar could not be coaxed to fly high enough for me to see more than we see from here," I confessed.

"You've beached us on an island with a giant," Manjaro grated.

"It's only one giant," I rebutted, "and it appears to be trapped in stone...even the flame it carries." Finnrick raised an eyebrow towards the great stone creature with the many horned head. I hesitated, but then added, "I thought it a safer choice than that."

Finnrick and Manjaro turned their gazes after mine, and we were quiet for long moments. Finnrick finally spoke, "I do not know what magicks have created yon city, but it's mage must be powerful indeed. There is not even a wall around it...as if daring us to enter. The castle smokes like a volcano."

"Like Lakagígar itself, Lord Finnrick. And that din...you can hear the people screaming from here. What evil does this sorcerer wreak upon his subjects?" mused Manjaro.

"M-my lord," I started, "whatever magicks these are, they are beyond me."

Finnrick spun on me quickly, "Are you saying you have brought us here to be at the mercy of some mage?"

I held up a hand tentatively. "I serve at your mercy, Lord Finnrick, but I serve you best by telling you that I cannot defend us against that..." I swept my hand towards the castle, and as if to emphasize my point, a giant bird the likes of which we had never seen swooped through the castle wall in a roar, spouting fire and smoke from within.

We were all stunned for a minute, but as ever, our leader found his voice first. "Back to the boat."

"My lord?" asked Manjaro. "We are just leaving?"

"Yes, Manjaro, we are leaving. We were not meant to be here, and Ulrich is right. Whatever magicks these be, I have never seen him perform anything of this magnitude. We have entered into a war which we know nothing about, and have come ill equipped for."

Manjaro turned obediently and stalked back to the boat. I stared at the smoldering castle for another few moments, until Finnrick turned on me, gritting his teeth. "And you. You get us away from here while this sorcerer is otherwise occupied, and before this giant should take notice of us- encased in stone or not." He turned again and strode purposefully through the water, back towards the boat.

I looked after him, then up to the sky, holding out my arm so my familiar could land. I fed him a piece of meat, replaced the hood over his eyes, and slogged back to the boat myself. Once aboard, I made the necessary enchantments, and thin streams of light began to snake around the ship. Fog followed, and before it could enshroud us completely, I stole one more glance at the gleaming city on the further shore, shrouded in black smoke from the castle. I wondered what magicks I might have learned from this mage, or if he might have just swallowed me whole. I reached out tentatively with my mystic senses, picked up on enough of the strange language to learn the name of this enchanted land, and then we were gone. As we returned from whence we came, I wondered what the Old York looked like before the sorcerer transformed it so.

...a giant bird the likes of which we had never seen swooped through the castle wall in a roar, spouting fire and smoke from within.
...a giant bird the likes of which we had never seen swooped through the castle wall in a roar, spouting fire and smoke from within.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #20.
The Vikings can be seen again in Heironymous vs. Leviathan.-

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
Characters:
  • Finnrick the Fine
  • Manjaro the Manslayer
  • Ulrich the Unnatural*
Creatures:
  • Ulrich's Falcon
Objects:
  • Manjaro's Mace
  • The Vikings' Ship

*In the CCC 20 entry, he was named the more lackluster Ulrich the Uneasy. -cb

Comic Characters used in this fic:
CompanyConceptsLocationsTeams
Non-Fiction:
Public Domain:
  • -
Picture Credits:
Column HeadColumn Head
No Caption Provided
Yggdrasill by MarcSimonetti on deviantart.
No Caption Provided
The pic as it was given for CCC #20, cropped and with a big red arrow pointing to what was required to be the main character of our story.
No Caption Provided
Okay, obviously this is a picture of one of the planes hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11. I tried to find the source, but couldn't track down the exact picture. And honestly, I felt a little sick with all the crap I did see while looking for it. There are sick people in this world.
CCC #20 comments for The Day the Vikings Landed:
@cbishop: OOOOOoooooooo very clever!4donkeyjohnson
@cbishop: Vikings take Manhattan?ImpurestCheese
@impurestcheese: Actually, I'd say it's more Vikings take leave of Manhattan. ;)cbishop
@cbishop: Wow! That was not what I expectedbatkevin74
And my vote is going to @cbishopImpurestCheese
Decisions, decisions...we had an awesome selection of reading. But my vote goes to @cbishop for the time-travel 9/11 viking as it was my favouritebatkevin74
I vote Cbishop, nice entries all round though.Myrmidon_ (aka Pyrogram)
Cbishop gets my vote.Project_Worm
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #047

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
On Writing About 9-11:

I have a poem called Please that is about 9-11, but it's not fiction- it's about my personal experience the day before, the day of, and the days since. I am, and have always been, against writing about 9-11 in fiction. Actually, that's not completely accurate. I'm against writing about characters that died in the World Trade Center. I think that adding fictional bodies to that tragedy is like vandalizing a grave. It's like heaping broken mannequins on Ground Zero and calling it art.

However, I always knew that fiction would pounce on that massacre like hyenas on a carcass, and I wondered how long it would take. "Not very," was the answer. Other than some amateur fictions that I read online, which were obviously cathartic attempts to exorcise whatever demons 9-11 had brought the authors, the first fictions I read about it were in comics- the now famous issue of Amazing Spider-Man, of course. Also an issue of Queen & Country that brushed by it. And of course multiple tribute issues, all of which I own, because profits were promised to go to families of victims of 9-11. I also own multiple magazine and book tributes to 9-11, most of which were photographic and news accounts of that day.

Outside of comics, I think the first professional 9-11 fiction I read that didn't come out immediately following 9-11, was a novella by Stephen King, titled "The Things They Left Behind." I don't know that it was the first, but it was the first that I read. It was originally published in the 2003 collection, Transgressions, Volume Two, and later in King's own 2008 collection, Just After Sunset. It has just been picked up by CBS, to be adapted for television.

Then of course there's the 2006 movies World Trade Center and United 93, neither of which have I watched, nor will I. If you've enjoyed those movies, more power to you. I just... don't want to.

I don't fault any of these fictions for coming out. It was going to happen. We've fictionalized every great tragedy we've ever faced. The ones that spring most closely to mind are the Holocaust and Pearl Harbor, and indeed World War II in general. We've written about them, and written about them, and written about them, until the fictional body counts probably exceed the factual ones.

That's why I don't want to see it happen to 9-11, although it has already begun. I don't want to see the trivialization of a massacre. I don't want to see the fictionalization of true heroes who charged into the World Trade Center and lost their lives. We're going to do it though. We're going to pile story after story after story on that precious site, until the words are as high as the Twin Towers themselves once reached. For catharsis; for healing. For tribute. For love. For emotional backdrop. Finally, for profit. Crass of me to say so, perhaps, but true- we only pick historical backdrops for stories because we think they'll connect with readers or viewers, and so bring us a profit when the thing is published.

So why write "The Day the Vikings Landed," right? Because we only pick historical backdrops for stories because we think they'll connect with readers... remember? And it was only a backdrop. I didn't tell you about anyone in the Twin Towers, or any of the rescue personnel that charged into them, and I didn't change the facts of that attack.

But I have a memory of that day, and the week or so that followed. The USA was devastated as a country. We were holding our breaths, glued to our televisions for any scrap of information we could get. It literally took President Bush holding a press conference and saying, "It's time for us to get back to work," for us to exhale and start the push back to "normal," everyday life.

We were so focused on Ground Zero during that time, I've always had the thought that anything else could have happened that day, and gone completely unnoticed. And that's where my fiction ideas for 9-11 come from- from "What else happened that day?" Did aliens steal the Brooklyn Bridge? Did zombies walk through Wall Street? Or did... maybe... a Viking ship appear briefly off of Liberty Island, and disappear again without anyone noticing?

Now, will I ever write about 9-11 again? I'd like to say, "No," but I've learned to never say never. And honestly, why should I? It'd only be one out of that great pile of stories that started building immediately after 9-11. However, if I do, I don't imagine that the attack itself will be more than peripheral to what's really going on in the story, much like the events in "The Day the Vikings Landed." In fact, I've thought of writing a series of short stories about "what else happened that day," and I may yet do that, but it's not high on my list.

But really- the main reason we write stories about historical tragedies like 9-11? So we never forget. -cb 9/11/14

Thanks for reading.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

I remember this :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bellaardila92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By bellaardila92

So is this a fanfic about Thor?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bellaardila92: No. It is an original story created for one of the Character Creation Contests. No Thor involved.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: This feels like an age ago. Story is still brilliant though

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@cbishop: Ah it was a great contest...speaking of which number 31 will be up tomorrow

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Must have been some kind of time loop these Vikings were trapped in.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Yeah that makes more sense. Especially since they had a mage. Who knows what he did prior.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cbishop

@guardiandevil83: Since this was originally made up for the CCC, I have no idea what they did prior, but from the story, Ulrich had apparently gotten them lost more than once. lol