TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By TypingKira

Lol, I love the word 'excerpt'.  

Okay, so The Coffinmaker's Son is the sequel to a lost book that I had written, then something happened and now I don't have it. I don't remember what happened, I either accidentally deleted it all or it was lost in The Great Harddrive Crapout of 2010.  

So, for your reading entertainment, or not, is the first chapter of The CoffinMaker's son! Totally unedited, revised, or otherwise. So that's why it sucks.  

I looked at myself in the mirror, glaring at the girl who glared back. Her freckles were gone. Her tan, erased. Her hair, the same reddish auburn it had always been.

Was that a zit? Yep, definitely a zit. Great. Right next to the red mark that told all what I was.

I looked over at a few boys who stared at me and my mark outright, watching me like they'd never seen a Nightingale on TV or in a magazine. I smiled at the lightly, and they waved awkwardly.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair. How long was he gonna make me-- oh, there he was. Thom looked over to me with the same look I'd come to expect from him, just his face, little emotion. But a smirk when he saw me. I gave him a hug and kissed his cheek as I dropped my powder into my purse. “A purse,” he noted. “My little patient seems to have girled up while I've been out.”

“Yeah, well. . .”

“She won't tell me anything,” he said, turning to the counter.

“Can I get a white chocolate mocha? Hot, please,” I said to the girl taking my order. “Sounds like we've got a problem then.”

“Those things are pure sugar and caffiene, Rose.”

“What are you, my primary care guy?” I asked. The good doctor had a bad habit of reminding me that I was slowly killing myself with my multiple bad habits, including my addiction to sweets and my lack of exercize. I think he did it because he thought it made me mad and thus kept me from getting too comfortable with him.

He forgot that I was an ageless size eight and didn't care anymore how much people lectured me.

“Where's Chris?” he asked.

“Didn't want to come. He got an X-Cube and he won't stop playing Black Duty 4.”

We wandered to the park, and his face got serious. “She's got numbers three hundred strong,” he said. “Half Rogues and half Nightingales. That, and a few Atlantians.”

“Wonderful,” I muttered.

“It's a loose alliance. Half of them hate each other. She's appealed to the Nightingales . . . bigotry, and to the Rogues weaknesses. She knows how to twist people around, it's amazing.”

“What about you?” I asked. “You two meet under the mistletoe?” I teased.

“Not yet. She doesn't trust me enough yet. But it's only been a month. And mind you, Christmas is two months away.”

“I know, I was teasing you,” I said, hugging my coffee. It was biting cold, and I pressed my coffee to my cheeks to warm them.

“Asking for a scarf wouldn't kill anyone, Rose,” he said irritably, wrapping his around my face.

“Who are you, my mom?” I asked.

“No, the Doctor.”

“Hah.”

We both paused as we looked down the streets of the Lavonne capital of Calais. “Is that a giant white deer?”

The animal walked lazily down cobblestone streets, blue in the weak autumn light. But the deer, and all it's other, slightly smaller friends, were definitely pure, sparkling white, aside from the ends of their spindly legs, splashed with mud.

“White stags. . .”

“Yeah, I see that. um. . . aren't they fake?”

“Do they look fake?”

“No.”

“I swear, the thing was like, nine feet tall at the shoulder! Just, y'know, parading down the streets like, 'yeah, I'm a deer, wassup?'. It was so weird.”

“Better get used to weird, kiddo, it's a weird world you're living in.”

“Thanks, as if Mrs. Tweedybopper wasn't reminder enough,” I said as I glanced behind me to the woman who was dancing around her parlor, whooshing past the door occasionally with a bolt of some rare silk in her arms. “There's no explanation for that lady,” I said, brushing my bangs aside and entering the last combo on my controller.

“Best nine out of ten.”

“Dude, I am officially the master of Gurren Tekken 2. Nay, of all combat games in history. Pay up,” I said, holding out my hand.

Chris rolled his hazel eyes and dropped a small stack of flashcards into my hand. “You suck,” he stated blandly.

“Yep,” I agreed. “But, like, seriously, why is it not weirding you out that there were giant deer in the city?”

“Because they come down every year, Rose,” he said as he walked out of the sitting room and started downstairs. “They march through the city when they migrate to Washington for the Winter.”

“I heard that like, King Arthur went hunting for white stag.”

“Yeah, too bad there hadn't been any in England for over two hundred years. Poor sap.”

He dug through the refrigerator and pulled out a container of leftovers from the other night. “Why are we here, Chris?” I asked.

“Um, because you live here and this is where we keep the X-Cube?”

“I know, but that's not what I meant. I meant why didn't I go stay with Jamie or Wycliffe?”

“Don't tell me you're feeling guilty? Rose, come on, their grown men. If you want to live with one of them, then what's the other gonna do?”

“I know, but I feel like if I choose one to live with that it's gonna get complicated, and I do not need complicated.”

“What's complicated?” asked Indira as she walked in.

“Einstein's theory of relativity,” stated Chris blandly, and she smiled at him. “No really, what is it?”

“My life, friend who was once friend of my enemy. I don't need it more complicated, and I was explaining this to the grasshopper who-- don't eat all the food in the house!” I whined.

“What!? I'm starving!”

“Then go raid your own fridge!”

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I pulled a soda out of the fridge. Mrs. Simone had a fondness for the old fashioned glass bottles, and I asked Chris to open mine wordlessly, which he did.

Indira looked around a little awkwardly. She hadn't mastered the friendly silence yet, just the scary one. She wasn't used to not being threatened twenty-four-seven, and I worried about how it was affecting her. After she'd had her loyalty betrayed by her old boss, Cornelia, she wasn't quite ready to trust anyone or offer her loyalty, and was staying in the Nightingale Palace.

“”Oh, your father said to give you this,” she said, handing me a slip of paper. “He wants to meet with you and Chris tonight.”

“Will there ever come a day when I know first?” I asked.

“Nope.” 

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TypingKira

Lol, I just realized that the title is gonna make a lot of people think this is a gothic story XD

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@TypingKira: That was very good. Obviously it's a little challenging to read since it's a sequel to something I haven't read, but I still enjoyed it a lot. It certainly made me want to read both what happened before, and what is going to happen next. As always, you've managed to created a charming main character. She seems snarky, but sweet. Great work!
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TypingKira
@Mechanical_Ape: THanks! It's also really challenging since the stupid editor isn't working right now, and some breaks aren't in there where they should be >.<  

That was part of her character evolution -- in the beginning she was an all-sweet, polite, nice girl who kept most of her thoughts to herself and only occasionally used sarcasm, but then all this stuff happened and she decided to show her true colors.  

Thanks!
Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@TypingKira: Sounds like a nice and complex character development. You're just making me want to read the rest even more though!
The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By The_Myth

I've said it befor and I'm going to say it again... You are seriously one talented writer!
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TypingKira
@The Myth: Aww, thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I admire your ability to write dialog. It reads very naturally; it's easy to imagine the characters actually conversing. It's something that I always struggled with in my writing, and discouraged me from attempting much in the way of fiction.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TypingKira
@Shadow_Thief: Thank you! You just have to say what you're writing out loud. If it sounds weird, don't write it. If not, put it down ^^
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator
@TypingKira
Great excerpt, Kira. I never heard of this lost book you mentioned. This story is quite a mystery to me. But it's still nice and well done.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TypingKira
@The Impersonator: Thanks! The lost book was actually the very first Melroses ^^ But it's gone. D: 
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CapFanboy

Overall 11....out of 10! would've been a 14 if I had read the first book, DAMN YOU HARD DRIVES!!!!. 

Realises he damns inanimate objects too much, CapFanboy decided to sleep to the wonderful sound of Roll Over Beethoven by Chuck Berry

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TypingKira
@CapFanboy: I think it's more like 'darn you operator error" ^^ in this case, but the sentiment is the same! Thank you!!!  
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By The Impersonator
@TypingKira: Oh I see. You made a previous post called Melroses about your character, Melrose Alan. 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TypingKira
@The Impersonator: Yep ^^ but that was just bits and pieces that I had tried to rewrite. 
sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By sentryssj4
@TypingKira:  
Simply great! 

p.s. I also en enjoy the word excerpt that and onomatopoeia.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TypingKira
@sentryssj4: THanks! and yes, onomatopoeia is a great word :}
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By castleking

great intro. >=)

so now i am more interested in the back story of the hard drive crap out of 2010 then the story.
while i post this i will go back and read your story.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By castleking
@TypingKira
I dont understand if i am  missing a portion of the story/chapter or is how you are starting it off?

curious to know what the mark on her face is.. I am intrigued a mystery to solve. >_>
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TypingKira
@castleking: Actually you're missing an entire book ;} No, that's how it starts out, but it's poorly edited and the stupid editor won't let me put in the breaks and such where they belong >.<

She's what's called a Nightingale, which is a person who suffers a disease that gives them marks on their faces and stops them from aging (in a nutshell)
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By castleking

Coolio.......  i just thought it was a bird or a nurse or somethin.. now i know and knowin is half the battle.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TypingKira
@castleking said:
Coolio.......  i just thought it was a bird or a nurse or somethin.. now i know and knowin is half the battle.
The name was inspired by both ;}  

Yeah, I made them up. 
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Constantine

nice:)

and just fyi I love the word et cetera:)

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TypingKira
@Constantine: Thanks!  

THat's two words, but they're both awesome ;}
Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points