The Boy in the Rubbish (fiction): NEED feedback

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

The following is a piece of fiction I have started, possibly to turn into a comic and bankroll a la crowdsourcing. Unfortunately, I suffer from paralyzing low self-esteem. I'm not fishing for compliments, but looking for honest reactions and constructive criticism. Please read and respond.

When Donora had stepped out of her flat, the sky had been the color of slate, but now the clouds were drifting listlessly to the east to menace Wales. Pale sunlight found her face now, and she felt like a goddess again, warmth on her brow as she surveyed her domain from the misty top of Hōrai. Now, though, she was a 14-year old girl in a jumper with a stick in her hand, standing over a boy nestled among the black bags full of rubbish as if he were sleeping in a green meadow.

His head was a mop of greasy black hair, sculpted by neglect into a porcupine unceremoniously mounting a bird’s nest. Had Donora been a betting woman, she’d have not bet against the possibility of tribes of lice hacking their way through the dark tangle. The face beneath the impossible hairline, though, was a surprise. There was a hint of whimsy playing at the corners of the boy’s full lips, and his aquiline nose was unmarred by a single spot. His eyes were swollen and dark with exhaustion. Donora could relate. Still, places to go, things to be done.

“Hey,” she said, poking him gingerly in the ribs with her stick.

The boy in the rubbish did not stir.

“Hey.” This time the point of the stick found his right shoulder. Donora thought that perhaps his forehead wrinkled and relaxed, but she wasn’t sure. She was watching his eyes, wondering what color his irises would be; she hoped for complete heterochromia. Surely as fascinating a thing as a pretty young man in her rubbish had to have bi-colored eyes, a vestigial tail, a birthmark shaped like Elvis, something. Donora fancied eyes, though. She had high hopes for the eyes.

“Oi!” she said, putting on her best scowl and kicking the soles of his threadbare canvas tennis shoes.

The boy blinked a couple of times against the sun. Donora, short in her current body, was a poor substitute for a shade tree. His eyes fixed on hers and she beamed. His right eye was as brown as polished mahogany, while the left was a green marble. Score.

“I’m sorry,” he said, pushing himself upright. His eyes left hers and fixed on the study branch in Donora’s hand. “I’ve a satchel here. Please give me a moment, and I’ll be on my way.”

“Are you hurt?” Donora asked, offering him her hand. She didn’t see blood or anything, but he had been unconscious among the garbage.

He got to his feet without meeting her eyes, and found the strap for a weather-beaten satchel. It was only after he was satisfied its contents were all still there that he deigned to look at her again.

“I’m fine, thanks.”

“Would you like something to eat?” Donora asked. It occurred to her that his body was older than hers, and if he was going to take her seriously, she’d have to make a grand gesture. Blonde-haired, blue-eyed, dimples: she couldn’t have looked more adorably wholesome if she’d been holding a puppy. Even if she could manage it in this porcelain urchin body, Donora knew seduction was the wrong path to take with this lad. The hurt is still so close to the surface, I can almost touch it. Food seemed appropriate.

The boy stopped in the midst of shouldering his satchel and really looked at her for the first time. Donora’s cheeks flushed a bit as his eyes met hers. And then he smiled. Oh, what a brilliant smile! It was straight and white as in a toothpaste commercial. If he didn’t smell like an onion hidden inside of a dirty sock, she might consider the possibilities offered by that smile, but no, she couldn’t ignore the yucky.

“No. Thank you, but no,” he said, still brandishing that disarming smile like a cudgel.

Donora immediately liked him. He was cute and polite, and not at all put off by her apparent Americanness.

“Well, then I must insist you accompany me while I eat, Brian Manchester Bolland.”

She liked that trick, the one of knowing the names of people and things. However, she did not like that his smile disappeared and that he now regarded her suspiciously.

“How do you know my name?”

Whatever prat had said honesty was the best approach, clearly had never been accused of witchcraft in Spain, but at that moment in the rubbish, Donora couldn’t agree more.

“Because I am a goddess reborn, and it is my job to know things like the names of boys who sleep in the bins outside my flat.”

Manchester—his preferred name, Donora also knew—looked around dubiously to see if he was being put on. He glanced in the direction of the apartments and then returned his brown and his green eyes to her two blue ones.

“Bollocks,” he said with no trace of humor.

Dammit, she thought. Time for hardball.

Pseudohaje goldii is the genus-species of the Gold’s tree cobra.”

The pretty homeless boy with the brilliant smile and the gorgeous, bi-colored eyes looked upon Donora then with such hate that she thought her heart might break. It had been dirty pool, but what other choice had been left to her?

And so Manchester Bolland turned his back on Nyx, the Goddess of Night, leaving her with naught but the sound of his shoes slapping on the asphalt as he ran away and a stillborn sorry on her lips.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

that was a long read.

I like it.

What is it exactly about?

~MiB

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

More. I demand more. Tell that low self esteem to go suck it, it is not needed here <3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: Tut, tut! You'll get no spoilers from me. I appreciate hearts and good tidings, but again, any room for improvement you noticed?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@neghead: Not bad. No idea what's really going on but I liked it. Is there going to be more?

Your opening two paragraphs could actually be one, but that's just an observation.

Oh and as for "paralyzing low self-esteem", I aint got time for self loathing, neither should you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: There will be, but I will say that this is not fan fiction. Should I limit posting to just my blog or was the fan-fic an appropriate forum for this?

Thanks for the input.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead: Here's the best place for it. Original, mashup, fan fic, it all ends up here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead: One other suggestion, your title. "The Boy In The Rubbish (fiction): Need feedback" is a terrible title

Maybe just "The Boy In The Rubbish".

As you don't NEED feedback, you WANT feedback. By begging from the outset, people may look at it but coz you sound all needy and whiny, they'll just scroll through it and move along. If you're writing to get compliments, advice and critiques you're writing for the wrong reasons. Just write. If people comment, well done! If they don't, don't stress.

That's my 2 cents worth of molten nickel advice

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

@bumpyboo said:

Tell that low self esteem to go suck it, it is not needed here <3

Grumpyboo. XD

I cannot wait to start writing for either fan fic or RPG. Can't wait.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: The Boy in the Rubbish is just a working title for the chapter and fiction was a label for the benefit of blog readers so they could choose to jump in or move on.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@neghead: It looks interesting but I don’t really have any big idea on what's going on. What's it about, really?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunately, I suffer from paralyzing low self-esteem

F_ck that. While I know it to be true in many of the realms you lay claim to, in this one, again, I say f_ck that.

You already know I am all over this like an oil spill. Do I have any criticism? Well, considering this is but a mere sip of the story you are telling, any I could have I suspect would be easily addressed in getting more gulps of it.

So, if anything, only because your head will swell otherwise (easy there, fella, you know what I meant), I would say the comment about Donora not being a "betting woman" kind of threw me out of the story since it forced me to assume a little too early that she was more than just freshly teenaged. Stating she was a goddess in the beginning of this "sip" felt like it could be a bit of whimsy instead of an actuality, which the story definitely confirmed for me as I continued on.

Remember, this critique is only because I am forced to say something. I need to be needed and this is my way of keeping you tethered to me in some way.

(:P)

Seriously, you realise I want deets about this. Pronto, Tonto.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese

A few minor errors but nothing overly diverting from the story. As for low self-esteem, well many people know I suffered/suffer from the same thing (as far as my writing is concerned) but I can honestly say that this is the place to work on it.

WolfKeepAdri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

I've already told you some of my suggestions on how to improve the sampling that you've given, but I felt like telling you again that it's great! It was intriguing and I wanted to know more about the characters. HOWEVER, I did think of something that I didn't mention before. You took time in the beginning to address the weather, which gave some structure to my mental image of the day, but I feel like maybe your description of the actual setting is lacking a bit. So far all we know is that it's a dreary day in presumably a city, Donora has a flat and a pile of trash outside. Mayhaps a few sentences about where they are might be able to paint a better mental picture to the readers. Just a suggestion, it's still really good.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@neghead said:

@madeinbangladesh: Tut, tut! You'll get no spoilers from me. I appreciate hearts and good tidings, but again, any room for improvement you noticed?

Can't find specific things to improve. It would be better to know what it is about dammit!

~MiB