Survival of the Fittest #1

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Survival of the Fittest #1 - Welcome to the Island

All the characters are OCs created by Impurest Cheese. If you have any questions about them don't hesitate to ask.

It was the sound of rushing air that awoke the woman during free fall, air whistling through her hair and past her face as she dropped through the clouds towards the open clearing below. Even before her brain processed the information fear kicked in, fear and a desperation felt only by those about to die. Reaching around she desperately searched for a parachute harness or something that could save her. To her dismay she found nothing and seconds later slammed hard into the ground. Lying beaten and bruised on the floor the woman is very still for a few minutes before getting to her feet groaning.

“Greeting Miss Grady.” A voice sounds through the trees causing the woman to spin round swiftly, ebony hair swishing around her, jade green eyes peering at the edge of the field she’s standing in. “Don’t speak and don’t look for me, several such speakers exist on the island to allow us to give you instruction.”

“Island? Last thing I remember was…”

“I said don’t speak.” The voice over the PA announced. “Welcome to the Valhalla Facility, man made environments designed for inter species combat. As we speak the other eleven participants are being briefed by their handlers.”

“Participants?” What are you…?” The woman asks before an electrical shock runs up and down her body, sending her sprawling to her knees.

“My goodness you are a disobedient one, next time you speak you will have enough voltage sent through you to light half the island. Now do you understand?!”” The voice over the PA asked, the woman he was addressing nodding slightly. “Good now off to your right is a goat-path, follow that down to the old mission and pick up your weaponry, from there I wish you a good hunt and a swift death.” The voice finished, an audible click sounding as the PA system switched off. Not saying a word the woman sprinted down the old goat path to a dilapidated church, the walls covered with thick ivy, the doors forced off its hinges. Striding inside she noticed the room was deserted save for a set of lockers on the back wall.

“Place your palm on the scanner.” A voice ordered from somewhere up in the missions rafters. Walking up to the locker the woman placed her hand on a scanner next to the lockers and held her breath.

With a chime a new, mechanical voice announced that, “Maya Angela Grady AKA the Patron Saint of Crime, was confirmed in the database,” as a locker swung open to reveal her equipment. Cautiously Maya removed a compound bow, fully stocked quiver, tonfas and bandolier of concussion balls before watching the locker slam shut.

“Good now head into the catacombs and continue through until you reach the deployment area.” The voice on the wall stated as a stone trap door pulled back to reveal a staircase leading underground. Staying silent Maya headed down the stairs into a long stone tunnel, its walls lit with emergency lighting. Taking a deep breath Maya stalked down the passageway, the darkness shifting around her as the lights were extinguished as she passed them. Twenty minutes later and she came to the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel and stopped, blinked twice and stepped into a rotunda sunk into the rock.

“Now that we’re all here we can begin.” A new voice stated as Maya looked around and took in the other people around her, a few were normal the majority looked like monsters; some of them may even be creatures of nightmare. “Ladies and Gentlemen, you are here for one reason, our entertainment. You will fight till only one of you remains, and that one will be rewarded handsomely.”

“After introductions you will be given thirty minutes to scatter, any attempt to kill in the initial half an hour will result in disqualification.” Maya’s handler announced. “Of course after that any kill will be legal and of course effect the wager placed on you.”

“So let’s get started, as we speak information about your foes is being beamed to the tracking implants we placed in you. You have full knowledge of each others capabilities; something we hope will up the savagery of the conflict.” The voice over the PDA announced. “When a competitor is killed you will all be updated. Oh and there are certain defence systems on the island, but we can’t give anymore then that away.”

“Now on your marks,” The first voice announced as the floor of the rotunda began to creep open to reveal a deep well in the centre. “Get ready,” It added as the floor began to tilt, the angled sending the contestants flailing down into the water below. “Good Hunting.” It finished as another door opened, the water flowing out into a jungle stream, the force of the water carrying the contestants with it.

Coughing and spluttering Maya pulled herself from the river and looked back towards the opening in the Rotunda, now a fair distance away and emptied the water from the quiver of arrows she had picked up from the locker. She had never killed before despite the masquerade she had been performing but now, now she would have to or face death herself. Quickly she ran through a list of her opponents, she knew the Owl Priest of Mictlantecuhtli from past experience, but the others; Hawker the African Mercenary Captain, Mysterium the Conman, Scarab the Engineer of the Gods, Blood Wing the red lady of Latveria, General Vanadaus of the Orkney Horde, Captain Howard Morgan the Lancehead, Epitaph the armoured hit man, the mad scientist Terra Solei, the alien Omereck and Clive Anderson of Indigo City were all unknowns.

Not that it mattered, survival was all that mattered now, she just hoped the odds were not against her.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By dngn4774

@impurestcheese: Could you give me another shout out in a couple of days? I'm catching up on about 2 months of 5th Column readings.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dboyrules2011: Yep, links will be made to their original apperances later

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

johnjo719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm very hopeful of this series....it sounds pretty freaking great lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnjo719: Thank you for the comment, and yes I'm hoping for something great to happen with this title

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: Added to my FF Long Box - Authors. :)

Added to the 5th Column Comics Library, for the mention of Clive Anderson :)

• Owl Priest of Mictlantecuhtli - I remember him of course.
  • Hawker the African Mercenary Captain - I remember mention of this character, but don't recall from where (it may have just been in a comment)
  • Mysterium the Conman - unknown
  • Scarab the Engineer of the Gods - From your Raven Diablo story! Woot! :)
  • Blood Wing the red lady of Latveria - of "Latveria"? Interested to see how you explain that.
  • General Vanadaus of the Orkney Horde - I remember this character, but I thought you killed him.
  • Captain Howard Morgan the Lancehead
  • Epitaph the armoured hit man - d'oh! I have an assassin/killer with this name also. He even has a silly rhyme that he leaves behind. :)
  • the mad scientist Terra Solei - unknown
  • the alien Omereck - I remember this from CCC also.
  • Clive Anderson of Indigo City - Interested to see where this goes.

Call me out for the next one. :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: So a Hunger Games style Survivour Series with your OC's. Cool. Is Blood Wing from your brief time in the Iron Age?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@cbishop: @batkevin47: It's all non canon with the characters in existing series (Clive, Terra, Owl and Siwang)

Blood Wing and Mysterium are both from the Iron Age and yes there is a certain Hunger Games esquness to this tale

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dang. So does this mean that people in 5th Column are going to become aware of alternate dimensions?!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Just gonna Bump this for later. Can't read this tonight because it's my turn to watch my grandma tonight and her house doesn't have the internet so I'll be thankful I have something to read on Thanksgiving morning. :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Well have a happy thanksgiving from all the guys over here in the UK

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Oh right, you folks don't pretend to be friends with the people you conquered. We like to romanticize all of the sad parts in our history across the pond.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Oh trust me we do only we call it the Commonwealth Games

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Meh...feels too much like the Hunger Games or Battle Royale. It's a good idea but it just feels too generic. It might have worked better if this was done more subtler.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Oh sorry, was just trying something out