Superman and the Metropolitan Gods Part 1

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The streets of Metropolis are alive with the honking of horns, the clacking of shoes on the busy sidewalks and the sound of the citizen’s voices as they mix to go with the sound of the city.

Below them, however, it’s entirely different. Through the twists and turns of the sewer pipes and layers of rock, a lone figure sits on top of a chair long ago rotten, clutching at a staff and cob webs encircling it like an old blanket. He hasn't moved in ages.

And yet suddenly he moves with a fierce jerk of the head and his body heaves with the breath of life. The figure then allows itself to lift its face to look upon the room, showing itself to be a man, and an ancient one at that. His eyes, first a ghostly white, turn a pale blue, and in a speech unknown to likes of Earth, he speaks, "It is time."

The Day After...

Clark Kent walks along the aisles of The Daily Planet, hearing the furious typing of reporters hoping to make the next edition and the jumbled up words of several new interns trying to set up appointments with city officials and the like. Trying to find his desk, Clark stumbles upon the barely cracked door to Perry White's office. Trying to make sure that Perry can't see him through one of his office windows, Clark walks a little bit faster, not exactly wanting to get yelled at this early in the morning. Perry, however, has other plans.

"KENT!"

Clark cringes and stops in mid-step, he turns around, and walks into the office.

Perry almost looks to busy to have just yelled at him, because once Clark walks in Perry won't tare his gaze from the TV until he reaches the editors desk. Perry looks up just enough to make eye contact and then motions for Clark to look at the TV too.

On air is one of Galaxy Communications bottle blond reporters talking in front of one of Metropolis' many book stores. "People today are lining up in droves as they await patiently to receive a signed copy of Kurt Hughes' newest book 'The Secret History of Metropolis: The City of Tomorrow'. Sales are going through the roof as Hughes' take on the construction of this fare city is considered by most critics to be a major breakthrough in literature today-"

Perry turns to volume to mute and finally turns to look at Clark. "So apparently no one's thought to come up with a story for this yet and our new boss wants someone on it pronto, and guess whose name I pulled out of the hat?"

Clark makes a desperate grab for a foot hold, "Perry I don't think that an interview with an author would be in my cri-"

"Kent! I would have thought that something like this would fall right up your alley."

Perry reaches inside his desk and pulls out a hard cover book. "You wouldn't believe how much time it took me to get someone to find me a copy." He gives it to Clark, "I took a little look through, the writing sounded so much like your articles at The Star I thought you wrote the darn thing."

Clark picks the book up and says, "I'll give it a look."

As Clark makes his way out of the office Perry yells from across the room, "You've got a nine o'clock interview so study up!"

Sitting at his desk, Clark looks around to make sure that no one's looking and starts flipping through the pages, reading it at top speed from cover to cover.

hm, interesting...

Clark takes a final look at the short autobiography of the author at the back, reading that he's family man, Clark immediately remembers David Graves and how he turned out. Please don't let that happen again, he thinks with a tinge of regret.

9:00

Clark pushes open the entrance to Hughes' classroom at Metropolis University, the author actually the history professor of the school. Seconds ago the bell just rang and so as he tries to make his way to Hughes' desk he has to push against his just leaving college students. With a few fleeting glances, Clark is able to make out that many of the students have a copy of the book with them.

Making his way through the crowd, Clark is greeted by Hughes with a handshake and a smile. "You must be Clark. I have to say, no one's gotten to me yet with an interview, tell your boss he's quick."

Clark smiles and immediately gets out his tape recorder and places it on the desk, "Let's get started."

A few good questions in and Clark feels himself starting to like the man sitting across from him. From what he's learned from the book and Hughes himself, he knows that he's lived in Metropolis his whole life, and thanks to that has stuck pretty close to the city for his subjects. He's written a lot more than just the book, reports about the city and its life, a few more than the regular Superman story, and a few other stories here and there, but never like the one that Clark just read.

"I pay a lot of attention to the Metropolis city museum uptown, I see the gaps that some of the historians may have over look and try to dig something out of it to find the truth. And what I found...you read the book right?"

"Of course."

"The stories this city tells, the scandals, the heroes, the villains, I may get more excited than the regular person but to me uncovering all of this was like having Christmas all of the time!"

Clark smiles and then takes up his tape recorder. "It's been good Mr. Hughes, you can expect the article in the next paper."

They shake hands, and Clark makes his way out of the room.

Before getting to the door, it opens to allow a blonde woman to walk through and make way for Clark to come through, "Sorry, I just need to speak with Prof. Hughes."

"It's fine." Clark let's her pass and without a second thought, leaves.

------------------

Walking down the hall of the University, Clark focus' on the door until from behind him a giant BOOM! rings out from Hughes' classroom. With his lightning fast reflexes Clark spins around in time to see the explosion and then in a flash flies through the smoke, his suit already replacing his white collared shirt and jeans. At the center of the room stands a group of black clad soldiers, each wearing identical suits and caring identical black weapons. One takes notice of Superman and opens fire, followed by two of the other soldiers. Three others stand back, two holding on to Hughes and the blonde haired woman, and the other ready for action in front of them. Not think of the bullets, Superman tries to walk through to the guards but finds the bullets to sting as they hit both his bare skin and his Kryptonian armor, growing more and more painful as they pelt him in sheets. Finally getting hit with enough, Superman decides to get a new strategy, using his super-speed he makes an arch around the class room, getting ever closer to the group, that is until the bullets stop and the soldiers gather up into one big group.

Confused, Superman tries to make a dash for the soldiers but is too slow, passing through the gas that the men just used to cover their escape. There is no sign of them at all.

End of part 1

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thespideyguy

Good, really good.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

{"sting as they hit both his bare skin and his Kryptonian armor"} ???? Can you explain why Superman is wearing armour to me? Other than that, not bad

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@4donkeyjohnson: Apparently the suit that Supes is wearing is a kind of Kryptonian armor, nearly indestructible by out standards.

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By 4donkeyjohnson

Okay