Rose Wilson: The Ravager #25

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Previous Chapters: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/ravager4s-fan-fic-archives/660884/#1

Disclaimer: I do not own any DC characters or locations. All rights belong to DC Comics.

Rating: T+

Note: So this is 'technically' the last one in the arc, though I'm not sure if the next one will be included in this arc or maybe as a prelude of the next one... depends on how the writing goes for it, as the next chapter will be featuring mostly some downtime for the characters.

Rose Wilson: The Ravager #25

Int. Underground Facility – Night

Ravager walks into the laboratory, trying to keep her stride steady. The numbing effects of being shocked earlier, though not nearly as bad as before, still linger. Her muscles are sore, and the tips of her fingers tingle incessantly, but it isn't anything she can't work through. She still has plenty of juice left in her system. Taking in a small breath, she glances around the room to see two people: Jerry, sitting down in a padded, leather seat, and Hugo Strange, standing next to him and working on something at a nearby table.

Jerry: Welcome, Rose, glad you could join us. I have to admit, you had me worried there for a while.

Ravager: Yeah, well I got the job done. Here's your... what is this, anyway?

She holds up the strange device that she stole earlier that night, flipping it around in her grasp. Strange moves over to her, taking the object and returning to his workstation.

Strange: This would be a genetic material splicer. Very advanced and hard to come by, usually only owned and used by genetic research companies, such as GenTech, where you got this one.

Ravager: Uh... huh. And what exactly does it do?

Strange pauses a moment, glancing back at Jerry, who gives him a small nod of confirmation.

Strange: It joins together two separate DNA sequences. So long as the two genetic samples are compatible, one can use this to create something entirely different, such as new animal species, or giving a person animal-like characteristics, or-

Ravager: Manufacturing superpowers?

Strange: Yes... even that, if you know what you're doing.

Her gaze moves over to Jerry.

Ravager: You're kidding, right? This is the reason you tried to ruin my life, had me steal for you? So you could turn yourself into some kind of supe?

Jerry: My dear Rose, as always your thinking is entirely too simplistic.

Ravager: So enlighten me.

Jerry: I think you've been told quite enough already, actually. Hugo, how is the process coming along?

Strange: Should only take a few more minutes.

Jerry: Good, this has taken long enough already.

Ravager glares intently at him, hands twitching as if about to make a move. But she doesn't, not yet. She's waiting for confirmation.

Jerry: You're free to go now, by the way. I'm sure there are other places you'd rather be right now.

Ravager: If you think I'm just going to walk away and let you go through with... whatever you have planned, then you're delusional.

Jerry: Oh, am I? And what exactly are you going to do about it? Remember, if anything happens to me-

Ravager: Then Becky dies, I know. But only if your goons at the hospital can get to her.

The man's eyes narrow at her, a curious expression on his face.

Jerry: You think they can't?

Ravager: I know they can't.

Come on... come on...

And then the signal comes in, a hiss of static and a verbal confirmation coming in over her comm. It's faint and weak, having to make it down to her underground, but it's just enough to let her know that now is the time to act. She immediately draws her swords and starts towards Jerry.

Ravager: You're finished, b**tard.

She doesn't waste anymore time. She lunges at him, blades pulled back and ready to strike true. In mid leap, however, her precog goes off. Though she sees the attack coming, she can't do anything about it while in mid jump. In the air, there isn't anywhere to go, no way to change her trajectory or dodge. The energy blast hits her in the side, sending her spinning back to the floor with a smoking, charred spot on her armor, and her swords scattering away from her. Lying there for a few moments, she coughs and tries to get her breath back. The whole room is spinning around her.

Jerry: Thank you, Hugo. Your timing is excellent, as always.

Putting the small energy gun back down on the table next to him, Strange goes back to his work.

Strange: Anything to help.

Groaning, Ravager rolls over slowly and starts to push herself back up to her hands and knees, her entire body shaking.

Ravager: Pretty quick on the draw there, professor. I'll hand you that one.

Standing up from his seat, Jerry walks over to her and drives his foot down onto her back, knocking her to the floor again.

Jerry: And I had such high hopes for you.

Ravager: I'd be... a little bit more concerned if I were you, buddy.

Jerry: Concerned? No. Disappointed. Now I have to go and make a point.

Pulling out a wireless radio, he brings it up to his lips.

Jerry: Go ahead and make a call to Mira, tell her to pull the plug on the cop.

When he brings the radio back down, he folds his arms and stares at Ravager.

Jerry: I was rather hoping I didn't have to do that, but then you had to go and be rebellious. Pity.

At this comment, Ravager can only curl her lips into a knowing smirk, while a small, amused laugh leaves her throat. Jerry lifts an eyebrow at her, digging the heel of his shoe harder into her shoulder blade.

Jerry: What's so funny?

Ravager: I just feel bad for Mira.

Int. Silverstone General Hospital – Night

Becky's hospital room is dark and quiet, save for the soft glow and steady beeping of her heart monitor. She's sleeping now, under painkillers to help get her through the night. Though the doctors and nurses on this floor should have no reason to come into her room this late at night, with no emergency to attend to, the door slowly opens. A blonde haired woman with round glasses enters, dressed in a nurse's uniform. She caries a clipboard in one arm, and a syringe in her other hand. For a moment, she stands there and stares at the sleeping patient, then walks into the room and stands at the side of the bed.

Mira: Sorry about this, really, but orders are orders.

Holding up the syringe, she brings the needle up towards Becky's IV bag. The death will look like natural causes, nothing to trace it back to her or Jeremiah. Before she can deliver the contents into the bag, however, she feels a hand on her shoulder, and suddenly she's being forcefully spun around. Letting out a gasp of surprise, she sees someone else standing there, a man in some kind of costume with a cape and cowl over his head.

Red Robin: I really wouldn't do that if I were you.

Mira: Who-

She never gets a chance to finish her question, as a sudden blow to her neck causes consciousness to leave her in a matter of seconds. As the world goes black, she slumps to the floor in a motionless heap; she'll be out for hours. Red Robin looks down at the unconscious woman for a moment, then brings a hand up to his ear.

Red Robin: Ravager, don't know if you're getting this even with the signal amplified, but if you are, Rebecca is safe.

Int. Underground Facility – Night

Jerry glares at Ravager for a few moments, putting together the pieces in his head. He figures it out pretty quickly.

Jerry: That's why it took so long to get through the tunnel, isn't it? You told your friend about your situation while I couldn't hear you... I assume he's at the hospital right now?

Ravager: Oh yeah.

Jerry: And the other one...

Ravager: Covering Holly. Sorry, but you got nothing on me now.

Jerry: Clever girl...

Ravager: Oh and one more thing-

Jerry's eyes narrow, as Ravager's smirk grows wider.

Ravager: -that energy blast just now? Didn't really hurt that much.

Rolling hard against the floor, she slips out from beneath Jerry's foot, causing him to stumble suddenly. With a sweep of her legs, she trips him up and sends him falling backwards to the floor, allowing her a moment flip herself back up to her feet. Jerry's already getting standing up again, but her boot greets his chin when he does, forcing him tumbling over a nearby table.

Ravager: Oh I am going to enjoy this.

Jerry: Hugo!

Strange is already acting, though, reaching for the weapon from before and taking aim. This time, however, Ravager is more than capable of dodging the incoming shots. She sprints at the man, bringing her leg up and knocking the gun from his hands, then follows up with another kick aimed at his head. Before her boot connects, though, Strange jumps back, flipping away in an impressive display of acrobatics.

Ravager: Fancy moves, professor.

Strange: I've spent years going up against the Batman, what did you expect?

Ravager: Too bad it won't help you.

Moving in quickly, Ravager attacks again. This time, Strange defends himself, trying to go hand to hand; biggest mistake he could have made. In seconds, she breaks through his guard and delivers a hard shot to his head that puts him on the floor, dazed. That's good enough for her, for the moment.

Ravager: Now, where was I?

She turns, looking for Jerry. He's running across the lab now, heading for a small red button on the wall. With too much distance between them, she can't stop him from hitting it, triggering a loud, blaring alarm. Frowning, she chases after him, grabbing her swords on the way by. He tries to get out the lab, but she beats him to the doors, bringing one of her blades up in front of his neck.

Ravager: Going somewhere?

He glares at her, taking a step back. There's nowhere for him to go now.

Jerry: You won't kill me, Rose.

Ravager: Oh, and what makes you say that?

Swinging one of her weapons, she cuts open a long gash across his arm, causing him to recoil and hold the bleeding wound. His sudden cry of pain is so very satisfying.

Ravager: You used me, made me steal for you, made me hurt people who didn't deserve it. You threatened the people I love. You nearly killed Rebecca! What makes you even think that I'll let you off this time?

Jerry: Because, Rose... I'm not out of tricks yet.

On cue, the wall behind her bursts open in a shower of debris. Stepping through the newly created hole is a large, hulking monstrosity of pure muscle.

Jerry: I believe you remember Blockbuster?

Ravager stares back at the beast, their gazes meeting. A brief moment passes before Blockbuster growls and then charges at her.

Ravager: Crap.

As Blockbuster comes in with a swinging, overhead strike, Ravager jumps backwards out of the way. This could get problematic. She still hasn't forgotten her last fight with this guy, which she just barely won. Fortunately, she's in better condition this time around... slightly.

Ravager: I could have sworn I killed this ugly b**tard the last time.

She ducks under another attack, then jumps backwards again. Staying close to him for extended periods is suicide; she needs to pick her strikes and make them count.

Jerry: I had more than one. Now, you two play nice.

On that note, Jerry runs back to Strange's workstation and grabs the gene splicer, which is emitting a soft hum. He quickly takes out a glass vial from the center compartment and slips it into a medical injector, then starts sprinting out of the lab as fast as he can, leaving behind a trail of blood spots from his injured arm.

Ravager: No you don't!

Blockbuster comes in at her again, bringing both fists down at her. She steps to the side, then runs straight up one of his massive arms and jumps off his shoulder to the ground behind him. With one swift motion, she swings one of her swords across the back of his ankles, slicing through both achilles tendons. Blockbuster howls, falling to his knees and struggling to get back up. It's useless, though; he can't stand anymore. Taking a step back, Ravager briefly glances down at her bloodied sword and smirks. Last time, her swords could barely even leave a scratch on him.

Ravager: Thanks for the upgrade, Dick.

She then turns and runs out of the laboratory, following the blood trail. Jerry can't have gone very far, and there's no way she'll let him escape this time.

Ext. Silverstone City Streets – Night

Jerry pushes out the entrance of the abandoned building that covers his underground facility. He takes in a few deep breaths, gripping his slashed arm tightly. The pain stings, but it isn't unbearable. Swallowing, he starts running across the street towards his car. Though Blockbuster is a formidable bodyguard, Ravager already proved once that she can defeat him. He likely won't keep her occupied for very long.

He had just hoped that she would be occupied a little bit longer than this. Before he makes it halfway across the street, the door to the building bursts open, revealing Ravager standing with both swords drawn and a scowl on her face. He glances at her for just a moment, then quickens his pace. But she is far faster.

Ravager: Get back here!

Sprinting forward, she reaches him in seconds and pounces, knocking him to the ground. He lets out a small grunt as he hits the pavement, her knee drilling into the back of his neck and both blades coming down on either side of his head.

Jerry: Well played, Rose, well played. I suppose this is the part where you kill me, yes?

Ravager: It should be... but death is too good for you.

Jerry: Oh really? It wasn't too good for Pavoni.

Ravager: Pavoni was scum! You're just... not even worth it. I think you'll enjoy prison, though. I hear Blackgate is lovely this time of year.

Jerry: Blackgate? I'm afraid that's in Gotham, my dear. A bit outside your jurisdiction.

Ravager: Trust me, I'll make it happen.

Jerry: And what are you going to put me there for, hmm? You don't have anything on me, at least nothing you can use without revealing your secret.

Ravager: No? I'm sure the police will find something when they get an anonymous tip to check out your hidden facility.

At this comment, Jerry frowns for a moment. That frown then quickly turns into a pleased smile, a chuckle leaving his lips.

Jerry: Once again, Rose, well played, indeed. I was right, you are a worthy opponent. In spite of everything against you, still you managed to find a way out of it and stop me.

Ravager: Yeah, I'm good like that.

Jerry: Do you remember the last time, when I let you live after your victory over Blockbuster?

Ravager: I haven't forgotten.

Jerry: I told you to consider it a reward, because your efforts were deserving of it. I think the same applies now, don't you?

Furrowing her brow in confusion, Ravager eases her knee up slightly, not pressing down on his neck quite as hard.

Ravager: What are you talking about?

Jerry: I mean, you deserve another reward. For stopping me here tonight, I'll call off the orders against Rebecca and Holly. They won't be bothered again, you have my word.

Ravager: And why the hell should I trust your word?

Jerry: Because, Rose, I enjoy this. You make life very difficult for me and my plans, but that doesn't upset me, no. You provide a very entertaining challenge, and I wouldn't change it for anything. Call it keeping the status quo.

Ravager: That is the dumbest logic I've ever heard.

Jerry: And yet it is the truth. If you're looking for a more logical answer, however, I can say that I have no real desire to die just yet. If I go and kill your loved ones, well... you're not exactly a saint like Batman, are you?

Ravager: Okay, fair point. This doesn't change anything, though. I'm still sending you to Blackgate.

A small smirk crosses his face.

Jerry: I'm looking forward to it.

Ravager: I'm sure you are... Now come on, I have other places I'd rather be.

Removing her knee from the back of his neck, she lifts him up from the ground and maintains a firm hold on him, walking him away. She'll have to meet up with Tim and decide just how to go about getting an investigation sent to the facility so this b**tard can be arrested, but it'll be well worth it. As she leads him away, however, she doesn't notice him dropping something behind on the side of the street. It's the medical injector he took when he fled, and the vial he loaded it with earlier is now empty.

Int. Silverstone General Hospital – Day

Rose stands out in the hallway, just outside of Becky's room. She's waiting for her partner to wake up, as Becky is still resting from the night before. It doesn't matter how long she has to wait, though, she took the day off from work so she has all day. Letting out a long yawn, she brings up her cup of coffee to her lips to take a sip, but her arm is shaking rapidly, making it difficult.

Tim: Sorry about that.

Glancing up, she notices Tim approaching, his hands stuffed into his pants pockets. He's referring to her shaking arm, a lingering result of the massive electrical shocks she took the previous night at his hands. She simply shrugs her shoulders and lowers her coffee cup back down, trying to keep her arm steady.

Rose: Likewise.

And of course she is referring to his black eye, bruised jaw, and split lip. She hadn't been holding back when hitting him last night, so her blows left behind quite the noticeable after effects.

Tim: Don't worry about it, I've had worse.

Rose: So where's Stephanie?

Tim: Already back in Gotham, had to return the Bat-Jet.

Rose: Right, right... not really a whole lot of places to park that thing here, is there?

Tim: Not without attracting a lot of attention.

Rose utters a small laugh, smiling slightly and bowing her head. She takes in a deep breath, then slowly lets it out a second later.

Rose: Tim, I... thanks, really. If you guys didn't come here...

Tim: Look, don't worry about it. You were in a rough spot and you needed help. That's what we do, we help our own.

Rose: Doesn't mean I can't thank you for it.

A small pause passes between them. Lifting up her shaking arm again, she takes another sip of her coffee, finishing the last of it and then throwing the cup away in the nearby trash can. Folding her arms around her chest, she leans back against the wall.

Rose: So, uh... how are things back at the tower?

Tim: Pretty normal, I suppose, at least now. It took a while after Bart's death before things finally calmed down again... but we've worked through it. Got a couple new members now.

Rose: Oh yeah?

Tim: Yeah, we managed to contact Bombshell and Static, and both decided to rejoin the team.

Rose: Hmph, keep your eyes on that Bombshell, she's trouble.

Tim: She'd say the same about you.

A small smirk comes to her.

Rose: Yeah, I know.

Another brief pause, the only sound being the tick of the wall clock behind them, and a few faint voices coming from farther down the hall.

Rose: Listen, Tim... I don't think I ever got a chance to say this before I left last time, but... I'm sorry. For what happened to Bart, I... I made a mistake. A bad one, and it got people hurt. I should have listened to you.

Tim doesn't say anything at first, instead letting her continue to talk and finish her thoughts. He crosses his arms and lets out a small breath, just looking at her as she averts her gaze.

Rose: It's just... he was my friend, too, and I didn't want him to die anymore than you guys did. But I'm responsible for it, and I have to live with that fact. I'm sorry for everything, for screwing up the mission, for getting Bart killed, for... well, I'm just sorry, alright?

Tim: I know you are, Rose. But you didn't have to leave the tower like that, we could have worked things out.

Rose: Please, I heard you guys talking. No way Wonder Bi... uh, Cassie, was going to let me stay. Even if you didn't kick me out, she probably would thrown me out the window herself. I just saved you the trouble of having to deal with that.

Tim: Things have calmed down since then, believe it or not.

Rose: Right, so she doesn't still want to punt my head off?

Silence.

Rose: Yeah, thought so.

Tim: You could still come back, you know.

Rose: And deal with all that drama? No thanks. Besides, I have my own life now, and it's one I intend to keep living.

Taking in another breath, Tim nods to her.

Tim: I understand, and I'm glad you're building your own life. I think it's good for you.

Rose: Yeah, right, still got a lot of things to work on though... but thanks.

Tim: I'll see you around, Rose. Don't be afraid to call if you ever need anything alright?

Rose: I'll try to keep that in mind. But yeah, see you around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter #26 Preview: A bit of downtime comes for Rose in the next chapter, as she tries to decide whether or not she should continue her exploits as Ravager, after what happened to her at the hands of Jeremiah Belmont. Meanwhile, Becky's recovery begins to come along, while Jerry is transported to Gotham to await trial.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Time_Phantom

Great as always. Jerry makes a wonderfull baddie for Ravager. Time to review the arc as whole:

Tim's just so nice all the time. Random thought what if Becky woke up and sees Tim and thinks thats "the guy" who put Rose in the hospital? Oh and something that has been bugging me... if Dick is Batman keep Bruce dead please. (yeah I don't really have any issue it's just that small not overtly important detail) Though I do have to say while Jeremiah does present a bit of a mental challenge for Rose... I'd like her to have someone she can hit. Lady Shiva, Chesire and Deadshot was one thing but a recurring antagonist that give her both a physical and mental challange is something I think would benefit the character. The tid bits about her past with the Titans are a plus but think that too much of a mention would disregard the forward thinking additude she has about her heroing. The BeckyXRose sub plot has a lot of potential to grow I think. (just don't turn it into the agnsty slash crazyness that infests FF.net if you got that route)

There your first review from me that wasn't just "oh cool roflcopter epicsause!" I hope I wasn't just splitting hairs. But this is so hard to review because it's easily one of the best written fics on the site imo. Keep up the great work.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By rav4

@Time_Phantom: Thanks very much, I really appreciate your taking the time to give an actual review, haha. Now allow me to give some hopefully informative replies to your well thought out comments.

• Was never planning on having Bruce make an appearance, so I think it's safe for you relax there. I was playing around with whether or not I wanted to keep the whole Batman, Inc. thing canon, but I'm not really sure I'm going to at this point. Was never really big on that whole concept, it put too much spotlight on a character that's supposed to operate from the shadows. So I think we'll just have Bruce rest peacefully.
  • Ah, but I already have a baddie in mind who will provide a real physical challenge for her. I won't give too much away, but I will say that he is an original character who could stomp Shiva if he wanted to. Does he have any enhanced abilities? Quite possibly, but either way, Rose will not be having an easy time with him.
  • This is the last time I plan on having her Titans past brought up for quite a while, so she'll be able to keep moving past that.
  • Uh.... angsty slash craziness? xD

Once again, thanks a ton for the input, I really appreciate it!