Raven Diablo vs. Phansigar

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #25!

DateCB 1-ShotsViewRead the...
04/07/15Raven Diablo vs. Phansigar(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
T+Child abduction; adult violence.
Thanks so much to writer and friend Miko Montgomery for letting me play with his characters. -cb

“Xandra, what am I looking at?” asked Raven.

Xandra’s eyes never left the screen, her brow furrowed deeply with concern. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were looking at your own handiwork, but you’ve never been to the area this happened in. Just look though. This woman was strangled with the yellow scarf you see around her neck, and sliced open with a khukuri.” She pointed to a small blade on the floor, at the bottom of the screen and added, “We know that was the weapon used because the killer lost his Karda in the struggle.” Xandra bit her lip briefly. “Raven, this could be a Gurkha.”

“No,” Raven answered. “Gurkhas would never be so sloppy. They’re stealthy like leopards, and agile like mountain goats.” Xandra looked at her strangely. “What? You’ve never read the Nepalese Khukuri House website? Point is, they’d have left with all their weapons. And besides, they don’t bother with strangulation.”

“Then who...”

“My impulse would be Thug, but this is something else,” said Raven. “This is someone trying to get my attention.”

“What? Why would you say that?” Xandra asked in surprise.

“The Thugee used scarves called ‘Rumal,’ which means roughly ‘yellow scarf.’ The real color was closer to cream or khaki, but I chose actual yellow because it stands out more. It doesn’t match anything the victim is wearing. So whoever left this yellow scarf around her neck was leaving a message for me. Who is this?” she asked, pointing at the picture.

“That’s Anita Child,” Raven’s friend answered. “She deals in human trafficking, but has never been caught until now. Her specialty is…was kids.”

Raven smiled. “So good riddance.”

“The world’s a better place,” agreed Xandra, “but there’s a problem. We were already in the process of tracking her down, because she was suspected to have two missing children with her. A girl and a boy- Wanda Auf and Willie Cumbach. When we found the body, the kids weren’t with her.”

Now this guy has my attention. He’s not going to enjoy it though.” Raven smiled diabolically.

“Yeah. I figured that’s what you’d say. You’re going to need some help though. Someone from outside.”

“Who?” asked Raven, and as if in answer, there was a small explosion at the end of the room and a thick puff of black smoke. Raven immediately unsheathed a knife and threw it across the room.

“WHOA!” shouted a voice from the smoke. As it dissipated, there stood revealed an African-American man in a black trenchcoat and tophat, leaning a bit backwards, and still holding Raven’s knife where he caught it in midair. He looked at the women with a raised eyebrow and with slight exasperation in his voice said, “I come in peace.”

Xandra put a hand on Raven’s shoulder. “Raven, this…”

“Oh please,” interjected the man as he crossed the room. “Allow me to introduce myself.” Holding Raven’s knife by the tip and resting the hilt across his other wrist, he offered her knife back to her. Once she took it, he continued, “I am the cat in the hat. I am the technodelic jazz magician. I am the Shaman of the Vegas Vibe. I am…”

“…Completely full of yourself?” finished Raven.

The man drew his head back a bit and put his hand to his chest in mock umbrage. His thumb and forefinger stroked the silver skull hung around his neck, then he continued, “To quote the late great Nicol Williamson in Excalibur, I am ‘a dream to some…’” then he threw his hands in the air and declared, “‘…a nightmare to others!’” His voice reverberated through the room like thunder, taking even Raven by surprise. He then took a bow, swept the hat from his head to reveal a salt and pepper afro, and standing, added, “I…am Miko the Magnificent.” Nodding to Xandra, he said, “My close friends call me High Hat. You,” he said, looking pointedly at Raven, “can call me Mister Magnificent.”

Never going to happen,” countered Raven. “Nice trick though,” she conceded.

Trick?!” Miko gasped, the umbrage real this time. With pursed lips, he pulled the tophat back down over his hair, flicked an eye up and down Raven’s form, snapped the lapels of his coat sharply to settle it back onto his frame properly, and silently turned to the monitor with the picture of the dead abductor.

Over Miko’s shoulder, Xandra looked at Raven with wide eyes and shook her head slightly. Raven shrugged apologetically in return, then put her hands up in front of her, telling Xandra both to be calm and that she would behave. Xandra said, "Miko helped us with the Milwaukee Torso Killer awhile back." She then turned to the monitor and asked, “What can you tell us about this, High Hat?”

His voice all business now, Miko said, “I can tell you that nobody will mourn the departure of this blight on humanity.” Raven smiled at that. “But what’s festered up in her place might make them reconsider.”

Raven’s smile disappeared. “What do you mean,” she asked.

Miko’s eyes flicked to his peripheral for a second, but he didn’t turn to look at her. He answered, “You see that half circle just above the edge of the scarf? Xandra, did your people take any other pictures?”

“Yes,” she answered. Three pictures came up on the screen, revealing the full mark below the scarf. “But we haven’t made heads or tails of them yet.”

“Appropriate phrasing,” offered Miko as he touched the screen to enlarge one of the pictures, “because this…” he spread his fingers from the center of the mark, enlarging that portion of the picture, “is from a coin. Or more accurately, a medallion.” The picture showed the profile of a man, with words to either side, following the edges of the medallion, and a date at the bottom: 1757-1822.

“Medallion?” asked Xandra.

Continuing to stare at the picture, Miko answered, “Yes, the Canova Medallion.”

The Canova Medallion?” asked Raven.

Miko looked at her this time. “What do you know of it?”

“The Thuggee were rumored to be worshippers of Kali, so I’ve done some reading,” she offered. Miko nodded slightly and waved a hand towards the screen, telling Raven to continue. As she did, he brought up other pictures on the screen, showing what she was telling.

Raven continued, “The Thuggee were killers, and perhaps the earliest version of ‘organized crime.’ A group would disperse along trade routes, sometimes for hundreds of miles, and join bands of travellers a little at a time, until they outnumbered their victims. Once they reached a spot along the route of their own choosing, they’d kill their victims, often by strangulation, hide the bodies, and plunder the spoils. The captured Thug Behram was one of the most notorious, claiming to have been present at nine hundred thirty-one killings. He was quite proficient with his Rumal. He could throw it so that a medallion sewn in its lining would land over the victim’s adams apple, making it easier to strangle them. That medallion was the Canova Medallion. It had the face of the artist – Antonio Canova – on one side, and an image of his statue, The Three Graces, on the other.” She looked at the image on the screen. “This is the side with Canova’s image. Someone wanted us to be sure this was from the Canova Medallion. But is it the original or a copy?”

The magician answered, “It’s impossible to tell, but you’re right. This mark was burned into the flesh. So someone heated the medallion and branded the victim with it. That had to be done after she was killed. So he moved the scarf, branded her, and then put the scarf back in place. Someone wants to point you in a specific direction, but where?”

“I think I have the answer to that,” cut in Xandra. She was working the screen at an adjoining station, and as she tapped keys and images, she said, “The real Canova Medallion is in the collection of a private museum, bought from the family of Thug Behram.”

“So this is a copy then,” concluded Raven. “It could have come from anywhere then.”

“Maybe not,” countered Xandra. “The real medallion has done some travelling, and is currently in a touring exhibit of famous serial killers.”

“And that exhibit is here, in Vegas,” guessed Raven.

“Bingo,” said Xandra, “and no bets on where,” she said as she tapped the screen again. Miko and Raven joined her at the console.

Raven shook her head, “Damn. Sanctum Tartarus. Why is it always Simon Janus?” she complained.

“It might be more than that,” answered Miko.

“More?” Raven looked puzzled.

“I’ll meet you at the exhibit. You take my hat,” he said as he tossed the tophat on her head. He disappeared in another black puff of smoke, and his voice echoed through the room, “Enjoy the ride.”

“Ride?” asked Raven, and then she felt the hat shift on her head. She raised her eyes towards the brim, and before she could say anything else, the hat got wider and bigger, and fell over her head, resting on her shoulders. She grabbed the rim, but it got wider and bigger again, causing her to lose her grip, and it fell to her waist. It shifted once again, got wider and bigger, and fell to the floor.

Xandra hollered, “Raven!” Her eyes got bigger as the hat shrunk down to normal size, then seemed to fold in on itself and disappear. “Raven!” shouted Xandra.

Inside the hat, Raven tumbled over backwards into a dimension of strange images and sounds. Lights flashed, music played, and she felt herself slipping, no longer knowing which direction was which, which way she fell, or if she was even falling at all. A shadow that might have been a man passed close by to her, and she heard a whisper. “Still think it’s just a ‘trick?’

She was about to scream when a bright light shined through a seeming tear in reality itself, and she landed in a sprawl on the exhibit floor. She took a second to catch her breath, braced her hands on the floor as much to make sure it was real as to push herself up, and then saw a pair of black boots in front of her face. She followed the boots upward to the black jacket, and all the way up to the face of the magician. He reached down with one hand to claim his hat from her head, then offered his other hand to Raven, which she took, and helped her up.

They looked at each other for several moments, before Raven said, “M-Mister Magnificent.”

Miko nodded appreciatively at her, leaned towards her and said, “You can call me High Hat,” before placing the tophat back on his head.

Raven gave an appreciative nod back. “Raven, then. You said something about this being more than Simon Janus?”

“Yes. It’s the owner of the Medallion- the one who normally holds it in a private museum. His name is Ali Indigo.”

“Why does that sound familiar?” asked Raven.

“Probably from your reading,” offered Miko. “The British used the son of Behram to pressure him into becoming a King’s Approver against the Thuggee. The son’s name was Ali, and the East India Company ‘gifted’ him the position of running an Indigo factory, hoping they could pressure him into disclosing the locations of his father’s hidden hordes of plundered treasures.”

“So you think that Ali Indigo has something to do with… High Hat!” Raven was interrupted by a yellow scarf being slung around the magician’s neck. Miko barely had time to throw one hand up in front of the Medallion sewn inside, keeping it from putting the full pressure on his throat.

From behind him, he heard, “Thug Behram, at your service!” The killer pulled tighter on the Rumal, determined to strangle Miko. Raven unsheathed her kukhuri, but Behram warned, “Don’t try it, girl! I will kill him!”

Raven backed off, but Miko reached backwards suddenly and poked his attacker in the eye. The thug screamed and grabbed for his eye, enabling High Hat to get free. The magician immediately ducked, grabbed the edge of his jacket, and swooped it in an arc towards Behram, like a cape. The killer was swallowed completely by the coat just before it dropped back into place. Miko looked pissed. He seemed to stare into nothing as he pulled the scarf from his neck and shoved it in his pocket. Then he spun, flaring the jacket again, and as the coat snapped forward, Behram was ejected from its folds and thrown across the room into a display.

Raven Diablo looked at the magician fearfully. The things she could learn from this man. She then crossed the distance between her and the killer swiftly, putting her kukhuri to his neck and demanding, “Who are you? And don’t say ‘Behram,’ because that’s not possible! You would be…”

“Almost two hundred fifty years old,” answered the Thug. Raven looked shocked. “Yes, it’s true. If you can’t believe who I say I am though, you may simply call me Phansigar. I took a vow of silence when British justice betrayed me, but not before I made a deal with a devil I knew from Persia.” His eyes narrowed cruelly as he looked into Raven’s eyes. “Sholeh Kaviani sends her regards.”

Raven wasn’t expecting to hear that name, but she was startled enough that she jerked backwards from the Thug a few steps. He did not miss the opportunity. Although he had been resting on his elbows, from his fallen position, his powerful arms pushed off of the ground, and he lunged forward, a kick to Raven’s gut sending her sprawling backwards. Jumping to his feet, he laughed. “She was right! This is a thrill!”

High Hat took a step towards the killer, but stopped when he saw what the killer took from his pocket. It was his Rumal. It was Miko’s turn to be startled. How had he gotten that from his pocket, while he was in the coat?

“Don’t look so bewildered, mage! I told you I made a deal with a devil! And she has powerful magicks of her own! Besides, I am Thug! As much thief as murderer! Pickpocketing is easy for one such as I- even from one such as you. Bah-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa!” With that, he unfurled his Rumal, spun it around his head and let it fall around him. As it did so, he disappeared completely, just in time to avoid Raven’s khukuri, which embedded in the display case behind where he had been standing. Only the echo of his laughter remained, and the fading words of a warning. “You will hear from Phansigar again, Raven Diablo!”

Raven looked at the pile of debris that was the ruined display case, and exhaled sharply. “This…is not good,” she said finally.

The End...for now
The End...for now

“You’re telling me,” said High Hat. “I hope he didn’t get anything else from my pockets!” Raven looked at him quizzically. Miko just said, “That…would not be good. Tell Xandra I’ll be in touch.”

“Wait!” called Raven, but Miko had already flared his jacket, spun, and disappeared in a cloud of black smoke.

A voice echoed, “It was good meeting you, Raven,” and then faded from the room.

Raven smiled at nothing, but answered, “You too, High Hat.” She took one more look around, and headed for the exit. She needed to go see Sholeh Kaviani about two children.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #25.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
Characters:
  • Auf, Wanda
  • Child, Anita
  • Cumbach, Willie
  • High Hat (aka: Miko the Magnificent; The Shaman of the Vegas Vibe; Mister Magnificent)
  • Phansigar (aka: Thug Behram; Ali Indigo)
Miko the Magnificent, aka The Shaman of the Vegas Vibe, aka Mister Magnificent, aka High Hat was created by me. Obviously, I based his look on Miko Montgomery himself. The characterization of High Hat is not what Miko is like in real life, but I tried to imagine what he might be like if he were the character. Only Mr. Montgomery knows for sure. He has given me permission to carry on with the character in his image. :)
Objects:Teams:
  • .Canova Medallion, The. (pub. domain)
  • High Hat's Jacket
  • High Hat's Tophat
  • Phansigar's Rumal
  • Thuggee, The (pub. domain)
Miko Montgomery characters etc. used in this story:

copyright either Miko Montgomery or Raven Diablo 2015.

Characters:Concept:Location:
  • Milwaukee Torso Killer
  • Raven Diablo: Agent of Kali
  • Sholeh Kaviani
  • Simon Janus
  • Xandra
  • Vegas Vibe, The
  • Sanctum Tartarus
More Info on Miko's Projects:
Raven Diablo, Xandra, Simon Janus, Sanctum Tartarus, Sholeh Kaviani and the Milwaukee Torso Killer were created by and are owned by Miko Montgomery.
See more about Raven Diablo: Agent of Kali at the Raven Diablo website.
You can also check out Raven'stheme music!
I introduced Raven Diablo to Comic Vine for the purposes of Character Creation Contest #25 (here's the Voting Thread) and Miko was kind enough to not freak out about it, and even cast a vote in the contest! :)
The Vegas Vibe is a concept introduced by Miko Montgomery in the video Occult Las Vegas Revealed.
The Milwaukee Torso Killer was created by Miko Montgomery and a friend (not me), and has no current connection to Raven Diablo, other than having the same creator. You can see more of this character in the bizarre short film, Mass Murder, Milwaukee Style.
Don't forget to check out Miko Montgomery's website too!
Picture Credits:
Miko = Owned by Miko Montgomery, found on MikoMontgomery.com.
PictureCredit

"Xandra, what am I looking at?"

"Raven Diablo," Miko.

"I... am Miko the Magnificent."

Miko Montgomery promo pic for his music. Miko.

"The Thuggee were killers, and perhaps the earliest version of 'organized crime.' ..."

The Stranglers of Bombay(one of multiple sites to have this pic)

"The captured Thug Behram was one of the most notorious..."

Ninad Aundhkar appears to be the artist of this pic

"The real Canova Medallion is in the collection of a private museum..."

The Unexplained Mysteries .com

"Why is it always Simon Janus?"

"Simon Janus," Miko.

"You can call me High Hat."

Miko Montgomery himself. Miko.

"Thug Behram, at your service!"

The Unexplained Mysteries .com

"Sholeh Kaviani sends her regards."

"Sholeh Kaviani," Miko.

The End...for now

"Mark of Kali," Miko.

Further Notes:
The Nepalese Khukuri House website.
The Thuggee wikipedia info. "Phansigar" was a term used for the Thuggee that meant "noose operator," in reference to their preference for strangling their victims.
The Thug Behram wikipedia info.
More on Thug Behram and the Canova Medallion.
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #069

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cbishop

Bumping for this:

I named Phansigar after the general term mentioned in my notes, but also after a book called Phansigar, by Jo Nambiar. In my brief research for the story, his book was referenced, which brought my attention to the term.

I just received a very nice note from Mr. Nambiar (@jonambiar) in PM here on Comic Vine. He ran across my story in his Internet searching, and found it "quite amusing."

Something I did not realize from my research was that he is the true owner of the Canova Medallion, which resides in the private collection mentioned in the story. So essentially, in my story, I put Thug Behram in place of Jo Nambiar! Even weirder, I put "Phansigar" (Behram's villain name in the story) in the place of the guy who wrote Phansigar!No wonder he found it amusing! :) (Also, that's very meta, isn't it?)

This really made my day. -cb

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cbishop: I'll have to give this a read soon. You've got me researching Thuggees.

Very cool that the writer read this and contacted you.

As for owning that medallion, eesh, that'd give me bad vibes.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Actually, I talked to him further in e-mail, and the story of how he found that medallion was kind of cool. That's a real piece of history he's holding onto there. He also sent me an autographed copy of his book. :)

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cbishop: This was really good. Phansigar is a really great villain. Definitely enjoyed the other characters as well.

Did she ever save those kids?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cbishop

@stumpy49er: This is one of those former contest entries that never got a continuation. Although I don't think Miko would mind me finishing this story, it's his character, so I've never had any plans to finish it. That's why the kids "wander off" and leave us to wonder "will 'e come back?" ;)

In truth though, I was rereading this earlier today, and wondering if I could bring the kids back for a rescue story. Wanda, Willie, Phansigar, High Hat, and the dead Anita belong to me, so it's possible they could pop up again somewhere else. :)