Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

Rated M. Character rights to respective owners, etc. Continued from Pyroverse: Fables, fairy tales in exile. Chapter 1 Find more Pyromania here Pyroverse Library

Wonderland. Center of the Dark Lords empire.

Wonderland, that once magical place of delightful absurdity had been twisted and deformed into a place of nightmares. The trees are black and barren. Lifeless. Gone is the sunny blue sky. It has been replaced now by a perpetual twilight purple. Gone now is the playful breeze. It has been replaced by a harsh, hurried wind that does not make the leaves dance. Nor does it cool the sweaty brow. It only pushes and pulls like a restless angry thing. Eager to leave, but with nowhere to go.

Crucified to the old Looking Glass gate is a skeletal form. Its body has been ran through with a dozen sharp pieces of mirror. Whether he had been alive for this, or whether he had been stabbed to death is not obvious. Pieces of mirror have been wedged into his eyes sockets to look like eyes and longer slivers of mirror are jammed under his finger nails to resemble claws. There is no sign. No written commentary. The image is enough of a warning to any would-be resistors.

A tall figure is seated at a long table covered in tea cups and dishes, and corroded old silver wear. A thick layer of dust and mold covered everything. "Why is...raven like...a desk?" The figure asked, its words are halted and unsteady. It sounded like it was being choked.

"No room. Nnnno...room." Its companion replied. It looked like a rabbit made from a burlap bag. Its mouth opened and closed whether it was talking or not, the stitching around its mouth already starting to come undone. The tall figure stood from his seat, and smashed its cup on the rabbit things head.

"I'm in...vestigating things..." It groaned. "That....begin...M."

Its a sick parody. A mockery of the former inhabitants, and an insult to one person in particular.

Elsewhere in Wonderland....

The Dark Lord was not happy. He had ordered his top magic users to create his perfect subjects. Loyal without question, and able to fill the places left empty by the fleeing fables. Instead he had over-sized children that shrieked without provocation, and were prone to ripping themselves apart. They were unsatisfactory to say the least. The copies did not act like the fables they were meant to replace either. They merely parroted the most basic character traits. Cinderella in the courtyard scrubbing the guts out of a large pumpkin was a prime example.

Sometimes she would capture rats and birds, and gurgle to them while roughly rubbing their fur or feathers. If they wiggled about too much, she would break their necks and gurgle sadly to the limp form while petting it. It was a disturbing sight for everyone.

Strangely though, for a fable obsessed with cleaning things, she never cleaned up her dead pets. Just the opposite. She would scream and drive off anyone who tried to clear away the tiny corpses.

Fable town.

"Mr Gingerbread, this is your second offence this year. You cannot pass for a mundy human. And you cannot afford a concealment glimmer or a transformation spell." Snow White told the animated cookie sternly.

"Yes but--"

She held up one hand to stop him as he started to reply. "Therefore, according to the agreement you signed upon arriving here, you are supposed to stay put at the farm with all the other non-human mundy's." She sat back and removed her reading glasses. She already tired of this day, and it was only ten AM. "This is your last warning. If you leave the farm again we will be forced to take drastic actions. Just be glad my sister was already scheduled to go to the farm today. Mr Wolf here originally suggested we mail you back." She would never do anything like that, of course. But she wouldn't put it past Bigby. "Please wait downstairs Mr Gingerbread." The cookie was gone in a flash before she finished speaking. "I wish all Fables reacted that way to your name." She told the grizzled man sitting besides her desk. "By the way, was that you from--"

"There's a lot of wolves in the Fable lands." He interrupted her, snubbing his cigarette out on the 'No Smoking' sign on her desk. "I'm not the wolf villain in every story."

Young Robin Hood was also being sent to the farm that day. She was perfectly human looking, but her wild nature made her travel outside of Fable town. That coupled with her habit of shooting "villains" with her sling-shot made her a bit of a nuisance. Not to mention a liability. It was Bigby's suggestion to send her to the farm. "A few years of hard labor should tame her." Snow had agreed. Bigby had only grinned in response. As usual, he seemed to know something that she didn't. But she had long since learned not to press him on these matters. As a wolf first, and Fable town's sheriff second, he was secretive by nature.

"So what's your deal kid? Trying to out do your Auntie Rose or something?" Rose Red asked the young girl. She had once had a reputation as a bad girl herself, but had calmed down considerably over the years.

"Nope. Just avenging the poor and helpless. S'what I do." The little girl replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Well! Aren't you just the superhero in training?" Rose chuckled. "Newsflash. Hero's don't get paid."

"Being good is its own, um, money?" Robyn replied.

"Oh you're just hopeless kid." Rose shook her head. It was gonna be a long ride to the farm...

The Farm, a few hours later...

Its a beautiful day at the the Farm. The weather is sunny but not too hot, a strong breeze gives birth to a mini dust devil on the dirt road. Or maybe its a young effreet at play. On either side of the road a homes straight out of storybooks. A gingerbread house here, and giant shoe there. Its a place of wonder. And Robyn is not immune to childish wonder, despite being a fable herself. Humpty Dumpty was there to greet them as mayor of the farm.

"Sup Hump? This is the Robyn. She's gonna have a long sleep over up here." That last bit was for Robyn. Rose was afraid she was gonna cry or something. Then she would have to be comforting. Uh, she was turning into such a mom!

"I have asked you not to call me that." Humpty squinted at Rose, who deliberately ignored him. To Robyn he said, "Ms Robyn, I am Humpty Dumpty. Of the wall siting incident. Which was not nearly as bad as you might have heard--"

"I heard from the walrus that you jumped." Rose interjected, just to scramble his yolk.

"The walrus wasn't there." Humpty replied. "So! Why don't I show you around Ms Robyn?" He changed the subject quickly, and led Robyn away by the hand. Rose watched them leave, and took a much needed smoke break. Then suddenly remembered she had forgotten to bring the Gingerbread man. 'Sh!t'

#1 Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

o-o

I had no idea you were a Fables fan! Or even Grimm Fairy Tales fan!

o-o

You got across Snow and Bigby perfectly, lol -- even the sass of Rose Red and omg -- can I just say? Your burlap sack Cinderella? There is creepy and then there is uber creepy -- petting her little animal friends -- snapping their necks if they refused her attentions yet continuing to pet them...how perfect. So very perfect and chilling and creepy. o-o

Awesome -- oh, and by the way, your call out to me didn't work? I found this while visiting your profile, my darling. <3 Just an FYI.

#3 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

.....is stunned

So good, truly ! Wonderfully gripping !

#4 Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

o-o

I had no idea you were a Fables fan! Or even Grimm Fairy Tales fan!

o-o

You got across Snow and Bigby perfectly, lol -- even the sass of Rose Red and omg -- can I just say? Your burlap sack Cinderella? There is creepy and then there is uber creepy -- petting her little animal friends -- snapping their necks if they refused her attentions yet continuing to pet them...how perfect. So very perfect and chilling and creepy. o-o

Awesome -- oh, and by the way, your call out to me didn't work? I found this while visiting your profile, my darling. <3 Just an FYI.

I. Love. Fables. Its one of my favorite series's ever.

I'm glad I got the characters right. I was a little nervous about them. Oh yes! The Cinderella scene was actually inspired by that pic. Just wait till next issue. *Giggles evilly*

#5 Posted by Pyrogram (36752 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Hehe, This was super fun to read! You personified each character really well! I just...when did you become so good at writing dialogue >__>! I am not even a fables fan...but I want more. NOW! And shooting people with sling shots is a fun habit.

#6 Posted by SC (12983 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad for liking the idea of a purple hued firmament at the expense of Wonderland's inhabitants. Your language is especially enjoyable to read, each description flows with meaning and elegance, especially when personifying objects and entities. It really adds to the overall magical quality invoked and drawn upon. Is it also bad that I am empathizing with the imperfect copies? Awwh heh heh well until they start going creepy freaky. Like broken dolls.

The characterization and dialogue of Fables character was great, nice writing and a great new chapter overall. Honestly was curious whether you could keep the standard set by the incredible first chapter but I should have not doubted, this chapter was great and I am really looking forward to the next! Thank you for sharing.

#7 Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

Buuump!

#9 Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by consolemaster001 (5328 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@consolemaster001 said:

LOL "pyroverse"

Gee. Thanks for that.

Nah, sorry. I'm busy at the moment. I couldn't read all of it. :D I'll read it later.

#11 Posted by Pyrogram (36752 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL "pyroverse"

Was that needed? We have a spectacular written piece and you comment on the title? Yeah...

#12 Posted by consolemaster001 (5328 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@consolemaster001 said:

LOL "pyroverse"

Was that needed? We have a spectacular written piece and you comment on the title? Yeah...

I said i was busy, sorry i'll remove it then.

#13 Edited by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

Coming soon, Pyroverse, Fables chapter 3

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

and you called yourself an struggling writer?BAH!

This is amazing, love the Reviving thing, cool element, dark mirror reflections are always cool. i can't compliment enough on how awesome this story is.

#15 Edited by Pyrogram (36752 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: When you're as good as Wildvine, all of the best writers call themselves "struggling" to make us plebs feel better :P

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@theacidskull: When you're as good as Wildvine, all of the best writers call themselves "struggling" to make us plebs feel better :P

Makes sense :P

#17 Edited by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Its called staying humble pony boy. Give it a shot some time. : P

#18 Posted by Pyrogram (36752 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Lies! You do it to get good vibes from peeps calling you good! I know it, you know it :P

#19 Posted by wildvine (9112 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@wildvine: Lies! You do it to get good vibes from peeps calling you good! I know it, you know it :P

No idea what you mean sir.

#20 Posted by Pyrogram (36752 posts) - - Show Bio