Other fan-fic sites and the vines slash position

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By OracleX

Writer's block is a b**ch. I once tried a Google search for the best fan-fic. sites and it was a head-ache. Most of the sites were not updated regularly many weren't well organized.

So I hit fan-fiction.net and honestly I could spend hours there. There is comparatively not that much on comics but there is still a lot of fun stuff there. What struck me was the most was how some people could write 50,000+ word stories. I have a lot of free time right now but not enough desire to commit that kind of labor to a story that I could never get real recognition for.

The other thing that struck me was the amount of slash fiction. Almost every story had some sort of crazy love angle. I was looking for some new takes on Professor X and found nothing but Prof. X/Magneto love stories. Some of it is graphic and some of it isn't. It seems like in some stories people pulled character names out of a hat and inserted them in their in the description of sexual activity. Some of it is very disturbing.

But I think that slash can be a natural part of a plot. Think of it from a literary standpoint: What words are associated with same-sex intimacy? Shame. Forbidden. Adrenaline. Guilt. Fear. Agony. Infatuation. Confusion. Fascination. Despair. I know, not exactly associated with a comic fan-fiction, but I like to take characters from panels of crazy fighting action and give them an adventure that would not translate well in an illustrated format.

I was in the middle (and still am) of a writers block while writing "Killing Joke: Role Reversal Part 2" when I came up with a new story. I can do my job on mental auto-pilot so the story keeps developing in my head as I work. I don't veer towards this stuff regularly but I like this angle. This would not be graphic and it is basically the match that sets off a series of events. If I decide to write it out (currently it doesn't have an ending, like the rest of my stories), it would be in an abridged non-traditional format with a magnifying glass placed on single moments. I completely understand if you don't want this kind of story on the site. I thought I'd ask as I have people who regularly read my work and already know my style.

So does anyone else write fan stories on other sites?

And on an almost completely un-related note. Did anyone ever watch "Strange Days at Blake Holsey High?" I read in the rules that stories don't have to be comic-related. I needed a break from my comic story thoughts and this silly show came to mind. Just an idea, I doubt whether I have enough of a story in me yet.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

1. Regarding slash, it's fine as long as it's not graphic. Basically, just follow the CV fan-fic rules, and you're good to go.

2. Regarding non-Comic fan-fictions: There HAVE been things that are just plain ol' stories posted before. My recommendation here is that while you CAN write it, put the WHOLE story in one thread (rather than having each chapter in a different post). People might get irked if the forum is filling up with non-comic writing.

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By OracleX

Thanks! I may write it. I may not. I was just floating the idea around. Wolverine and Gambit? That does sound funny.