benjum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By benjum

Captain America – The Smell

1.   A tv studio.   Steve Rogers sits on a stool, being interviewed about his time in World War II.   He is on his Military uniform.   Steve is not very comfortable talking about it, which can be seen in his face.   He is addressing the host of the show (off panel).

STEVE ROGERS

Smell.   It’s the sense that most closely links us to memory.   A whiff of perfume reminding us of a girl we loved.   A bakery door that smells like grandma’s kitchen.   Then the smells that we will never be able to forget.

2.   A close up of Steve’s face.   He is recalling a memory.

STEVE ROGERS

After 64 years I can still recall it clearly.

I put it down to the odour caused by their wet field grey uniforms, mixed with their pink disinfectant and black bread that was part of their rations.

3.   A shot of Steve’s hands.   The stiffness of his cuffs is visible, with his hands open.   His palms are facing upwards, fingers upturned.   They are loose, as if his body is remembering the story as well as his memory.

STEVE ROGERS

Near the Chateau de la Londe we came across a German dug out, only recently vacated.   It was constructed as a square room, cut into a steep bank of earth.

It was a complete home.   Tables, chairs and bits of furniture.   In the far corner was a stove.   But the smell.   That German smell.   It was very strong.   Pungent.

4.   Same as Panel 1.   Steve is now back to addressing our host (off panel).   He is rigid, looking uncomfortable.

STEVE ROGERS

I have not smelled it since.   And hope that I never will.

It has been documented that Allied troops reported a distinct odour from both German troops and their vehicles.   It is unknown whether this is due to the uniform of the German soldier getting wet in the rain, or their diet.   However, this smell is what helped many Allied troops locating German’s during night raids in WW2.   It has been reported that this distinctive smell has not been encountered by Veterans after WW2.