My idea for a DC EsleWorld's Story

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I had this idea that I have been playing around with. Essentially I thought about all the times that the Justice League had left earth to stop some universe ending threat. Then I asked myself "What if they never came back?"

This is my basis for an Elseworld's story wherein I describe a world wherein the Justice League, which at the time consisted of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Hal Jordan/John Stewart/and Flash(Barry Allen), all leave Earth one day never to return. The world they left behind would be a world without super-heroes, at least recognizable one's. The story would consist of new, and recognizable though developing, heroes stepping up to pick up from where the vacant Justice League left off.

If you think that is a good basis for an Elseworld's story, and leaves you wanting to hear more about the heroes I would cultivate/focus on to form the new Justice League, then let me know and I will expand on my ideas!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

So basically The Nail in a League edition. It's been played with before, the Obsidian Age had a team Batman 'launched' when the JLA died in the past.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@redlantern2814: A JLA of Aquaman, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Dr Fate, Ice, Black Canary and Vixen would go pretty good. Though MM might fly off to find where our intrepid heroes went.

Write it up!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74@outside_85 At the moment here is the rough draft idea I have for what would become the new Justice League.

1) Supergirl

2) Jason Todd

3) Cyborg

Those would be the recognizable names I would develop. Essentially, year one at least, would involve them individually rising.

Supergirl would be a 15 year old teenager who decides to pick up where her cousin left off by being Supergirl in Metropolis. She would strive to develop her skills, honor her cousin, and try to carry the symbol forward.

Jason Todd would become the new Batman as well as become the kingpin of Gotham crime known as Red Hood. His story would involve his attempt to improve on Batman's shortcomings; at least what Jason perceives. He would use Red Hood to control crime in Gotham and put down any criminals who challenged him. As Batman he would battle Super-Villains and other criminals; hoping to encourage future generations to fear becoming criminals. His side mission during year one would be to gain control of Wayne Enterprises.

Cyborg will be the first hero that arrives publicly, even before Supergirl, but will quickly sign up with the Government. He believes that Earth cannot be so reliant on groups, such as the Justice League, and so works to help make the Government ready to defend itself. Year One will largely have to do with Cyborg helping ARGUS become a series imposition to heroes/villains by revolutionizing their ability to survey the world and help them technologically develop countermeasures.

The three new additions to the Superhero world would be some ideas for characters I am playing around with.

1) James Crawford- Red Lantern of Sector 2814

2) Jennifer Chung- Reverse Flash

3) Alexus- Wonder Woman

Now these would be three entirely original characters; that rise.

Red Lantern would be a young guy from a town outside of Central City; who receives a red lantern ring while sitting in a jail cell. In his rage he would spend his initial time going around Earth enacting the righteous rage of powerless victims; however never killing. While doing this he will come across a newly minted yellow lantern and the two fight for who will claim Earth as theirs. After achieving victory James will spend his first year going to the Red Lantern homeworld, Ysmault, to take part in dipping in the blood pool and learning from the Corp. After his year with them he would return to Earth as it's protector

Reverse Flash would be a brilliant scientist operating in Central City. Jennifer is extremely intelligent and this intelligence has allowed her to work her way up, and eventually gain control of S.T.A.R Labs. She also had a fascination with the Flash and took every opportunity she could to study him. Upon his disappearance with the rest of the League; Jennifer worked tirelessly to find a way to replicate his speed. She wanted to do this partly because she wanted to save the now very crime ridden city, but also because she wanted the power. After determining that Flash gained powers from a power source, later to learn it referred to as the speed force, she works tirelessly to tap into it. After enough time, energy, and a bit of DNA; gains access however as a Negative Speedster. Upon realizing that she has powers, but is somewhat of a Reverse of Flash given the she is taking the speed that Flash created; she dubs herself The Reverse Flash costume and all. She would spend her first year learning about her powers, fighting crime, and ultimately coming to have Professor Zoom be her Arch Enemy due to his fury that she stole his achievement in history.

Wonder Woman would spend her first year preparing to enter Man's World. Alexus is a demi-goddess and daughter of Athena. She was sent to be raised on Themyscria to be both sheltered and trained; by the Amazons. With Diana being gone somewhere that even Olympus cannot discern; a new Wonder Woman must be chosen to enter man's world and help bring peace. The Amazons who wish to attempt the honor are challenged by 12 gods and the candidate that passes all the trials; will be the new Wonder Woman. Year one will be Alexus overcoming those trials and being deemed Wonder Woman. Some differences I would include are that Alexus would be having her sword as her go to over the lasso, as the lasso is lost with Diana, and that Alexus would have an Amazonian era uniform; at least until spending time in man's world wherein a more conciliatory outfit may be chosen.

Thoughts?

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By safefruitcake

Cool ideas!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Outside_85

Hmm, I'll be honest, when someone proposes to make an all new, all different Justice League, I usually hope they go through with that in mind. The League you've proposed, with all due respect, is just a twist on the League that we've already got.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By batkevin74

@redlantern2814: Now these would be three entirely original characters...but they're not. Not wanting to burst you're bubble but they're new but not original. You have a Wonder Woman, a Flash and a Green Lantern just with slightly altered backgrounds. I have no real problem with them, just your statement of original.

Write it up!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedLantern2814

@batkevin74 Seems rather overly critical and, at least mostly, false. I have a Speedster and I have a Lantern. However, calling a Reverse Flash = Flash and a Red Lantern = Green Lantern; is rather disingenuous.

Also I said original characters; not original heroes. Take a look at the characters and point me to any similar one.

I will admit the Alexus character was a bit tough, but there is only so much you can do with an isolationist setting such as Themyscira lol

thanks for the comment btw!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedLantern2814

@outside_85 Give me an example of a League you would make, given the DCU setting, and you will almost certainly be said to merely be twisting the league.

My thought was, if I was going to make a new league, then it would be more focused on them as individuals rather than merely their powers.

The relationships, rivalries, etc. would be the main point as well as them trying to find their place. You have people like Red Lantern who doesn't take orders from anyone and fights righteous battles. Then you have people like Cyborg who is essentially a terminator for Uncle Sam. People like that come into conflict with individuals like Supergirl caught in the middle.

My basic idea was

Year 1: Individual Character building

Year 2: Heroes Start Meeting

Year 3: Justice League Forms (though I am having trouble figuring out something to bring them together that hasn't been done) for example I don't want to use Darkseid

thanks for the comment btw!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@redlantern2814: i take offense on world "without super-heroes, at least recognizable one's". But it´s good idea but be careful with the mystery and the reason why they never came back because it could double edge weapon to writer when he is writing the story.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85 Give me an example of a League you would make, given the DCU setting, and you will almost certainly be said to merely be twisting the league.

Well thats a bit dangerous, since I would just post at pic of the NTT line up and go 'this' :)

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius To put it another way: I wanted a world, essentially, where the Justice League was new before there were a million heroes running around earth I would need to sort through.

Yes Green Arrow exists, Captain Marvel exists, Aquaman exists, etc. They just aren't prominent on the world stage and they have largely been disincentivized since the best heroes on earth just sort of left. Then when the new League is formed my idea was to have numerous leagues pop up to kind of compete.

With regards to why the league is gone; I totally hear what you are saying. That's why I like my choices for the new Justice League. Originally Jason was going to be a green lantern; however that would mean going to Oa and would anyone believe that the Guardians don't have any ideas as to what happened to two of their best lanterns? Unlikely. So I went with making him a red lantern which would keep him as far away from Oa as possible. Also I want to tell a story of a nobler side of Atrocitus; kind of like making him the Magneto of my Elseworld.

Hope that explains it better and thanks for the comment!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 Post that pic dude! I genuinely really tried to think of a wholly original league that would also be able to compete with the original Justice League in terms of power and influence. I couldn't accomplish it, but I'd like to see your pic!!!!!

Thanks for the comment btw

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@redlantern2814: Mostly people call them the big seven or whatever number they have on their team. Well Guardians have shown that even them are sometimes idiots. Red Lanterns are great characthers, specially how they deal with their inner rage and their fury. I would like to see this project move on.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85 Post that pic dude! I genuinely really tried to think of a wholly original league that would also be able to compete with the original Justice League in terms of power and influence. I couldn't accomplish it, but I'd like to see your pic!!!!!

Terms of power... maybe not, but thats also kinda hard since the main League is pretty much a collection of the most powerful individuals of DC. Not unsurprising they were nicknamed the God-League when Morrison relaunched it.

No Caption Provided

Yes, there are 3 legacy characters on the team, but there are also 3 completely unconnected heroes. It too was centered around the relationships between the characters, but also balanced it out with the action and villains they fought.

I would have thought of this as a kind of no brainer for DC to do one day, as an Elseworlds, but I am still waiting for them to do a future story where this team had taken over from the older heroes (being dead or retired by the time the team is met) and not having turned evil that is.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Teen Titans is the comic that got me into team comics and are still my favorite team!

I took a lot of inspiration from how they were written in how I set up my Justice League; even made sure to include some cyborg love and I was considering raven for the magical side when the time came.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: Why kill/remove three characters only to bring back the same three characters?

Besides you've got Kyle Rayner, John Stewart, Alan Scott, Jade, Guy Garder, G'Nort, Kilowog who could end up with a red lantern ring as opposed to green and calling a Green Lantern a Red Lantern is valid as they do basically the same job just in a different spectrum of colour.

As for Flashes you've got Impulse, Wally West, Barry Allen, Jesse Quick, X-S, that Russian trio of speedsters, Inertia.

And for Wonder Woman you've got Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, Grace and Artemis plus all those unnamed Bana-Migdall Amazons.

Your three 'new' ones could easily be replaced existing characters.

Why not try three original characters with power sets that are new?

Up to you.

I say write it up, lets see what you got

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74 Last time I checked, and correct me if I am wrong, but when you get a green lantern ring your heart doesn't stop, you don't start vomiting acidic blood, and work for a raging hulk intent on murdering the Guardians. While their powers are similar there is a meaningful distinction to help tell compelling stories about the character in question.

Secondly, they could not be replaced with existing characters. Their powers could be replaced, sure, but not who they are as characters. I mean Bizzaro has the same powers as Superman, but they are clearly 2 distinct people with different story telling possibilities.

Now, with regards to writing it up, I do have a rough draft for James Crawford that I would love your opinion on!

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedLantern2814

James Crawford: Origin

James Crawford is an angry young man. I suppose, one might say, this is to be expected when you come from a life fraught with pain and loss. James, while sitting in a jail cell after assaulting a Sheriff's deputy, decides to reflect on the life that lead him to this moment.

For as far back as James could remember; he had been an outlet for every frustration that had come into his parents' lives. By the age of 8 James could distinctly remember being able to play the role of punching bag when his Father required "something soft" to hit on. For his Mother he would dutifully play the role of doormat for every disappointment she had come to possess and that she needed to scrape off her shoe. There seemed to be no way for him to escape this cycle of having his body and mind broken by these two individuals. What made it worse was that, while in his mind these were two of the worst people on the earth, to the rest of society; they were well respected individuals.

In the small town of North City, approximately 20 miles outside of Central City, you could not find two people more loved by the townsfolk. James' Father, had been the Sheriff for over 20 years, and was praised highly for his "moral character". Jame's Mother, had been a professor at Central University with a focus on women's studies and history, which resulted in her being seen as an impeccable wife/mother/educator from the township. This left James with an inability to understand, and by extension trust, the society he grew up in. If the people he interacted with in town deemed these two monsters to be worthy of idolization; what kind of monster must that then make them?

The only permanent bright spot in his life came from his twin sister; Ashley. Now Ashley and James were as close as any two siblings could be. They had the same interests, were annoyed by the same things, and even managed to get past their petty sibling rivalry; in order to form a strong bond. However, from how they were treated by their parents, the two might as well have been as different as the brightest day is to the blackest night.

Ashley's treatment from her parents was as idealistic as any child could hope for. She received seemingly endless praise, encouragement, and consolidation. Where James' Father would beat him over anything as insignificant as James not being interested in sports; Ashley would be supported when she did not want to do ballet. Where James' Mother would berate him endlessly over the toxic nature of any masculine trait he displayed; Ashley would be praised for any feminine traits she cultivated. James would later accept it as merely being the way of the universe. For Ashley to be loved for all that she is; then it meant James must be hated.

Elizabeth Thorne is an intimidating young woman. While sitting in her office considering how to manipulate a jury to convict a man, an almost certainly innocent man, for the crime he has been committed of perpetrating; Elizabeth finds herself reminiscing about her life.

Growing up as the daughter of politicians; one would expect she would evoke a certain degree of fear and respect. Her parents, while consistently busy focusing on their careers, never failed to endeavor to make Elizabeth's life spectacular. Elizabeth was educated by the best tutors, wore the most alluring clothes, and had ample opportunity to study under her exceptional parents. While both of her parents were Federally elected politicians; they both had their own methods to achieve success.

Elizabeth began learning how to spot people's weaknesses and to exploit it to her advantage; from her Father. When she was 6 she remembers seeing how her Father was able to come down on a man so completely; that he left a race for Governor before retiring from politics forever. The power she saw that could be instilled from fear literally, for a moment, took her breath away. Her mother, on the other hand, possessed a more sinister ability. She had an ability to appear so friendly that her opponents would be unaware of the subtle ways she added to their paranoia. For her opponents they thought they were taking part in a simple photo shoot; while Elizabeth's mother would mix sweet words with subtle words of discouragement. One lunch date with her was all it took to make, even the most confident of politicians, spiral in terror at the possibility that those voting would vote another way or that the campaign staff were traitors.

Growing up in Keystone City offered Elizabeth the perspective she needed to help understand what she would do with the gifts her parents had granted to her. Though she loved, honored, and respected her parents; the politicians life did not appeal to her. However, the life of dominating others with socially approved flair; did have it's appeal. While walking down the sidewalk of the busy city; Elizabeth noticed something interesting. A large crowd gathering to witness the final day of a big murder trial. Interested to see a legal proceeding first hand; Elizabeth rushed in to secure a seat before the trial began. What she witnessed was something that could only be accurately described as serendipitous. The Prosecutor, a man named Augustus Robertson, had virtually no case. The defense attorney pointed out numerous factual inconsistencies with the prosecutions case thus far, that numerous experts contended against what the prosecution had presented, and that every single eye witness was disproved on the stand. Elizabeth sat back as Prosecutor Richards stood up and presented his closing statements.

Elizabeth left the courtroom amazed that the jury came back with a guilty verdict. The prosecutor did not dispute anything the defense attorney had stated, he did not after an alternative interpretation of the evidence, or anything you might expect. He merely stood up and made the jury so terrified that they might let a killer go; that they felt that it would be better to put an innocent man in prison than risk the slightest possibility they may actually let a guilty man go. Innocent until proven Guilty and Reasonable Doubt; both stood no chance against that terrifyingly surgical lawyers approach.

It was then that Elizabeth learned what path she wanted to walk down and what kind of person she wanted to be. She wanted to be someone that didn't need to be constrained by the reality around her; when she could make the world bend to her desires by simply exploiting the dread and suspicion found in everyone.

There was a brief moment in James' life wherein he might have had the chance to walk away from the path of rage. Between the ages of 8 and 10, when his parents wanted to spend quality time with Ashley, they would leave him with a babysitter. The babysitters name was Emily and she was the first person that James truly loved.

Initially James showed her the same apathetic courtesy he had started showing everyone in town. He had grown so tired of all the ignorant and blind people around him; that he simply decided to go through the motions. Their first evening together was nothing special. They watched t.v., ate dinner, and mostly remained silent. It wasn't until the end of the night, when his parents returned home, that he realized just how extraordinary Emily truly was.

Upon their arrival Ashley was asleep, tuckered out from what was no doubt an exciting evening, and so they quickly put her to bed. James' mother came down first and talked with Emily. She paid Emily for her time and offered her apologies for how horrid she was certain her son was. While James was used to this type of degrading speech said by his mother before; what he wasn't used to was what Emily did. She actually defended James even contending that he was a complete sweetheart who she couldn't wait to see again. James couldn't believe that and couldn't help smiling at her when she smiled at him. James' mother thanked her for being sweet, but stated to her that it does the boy no good to be coddled. The rules in her house was that "boys being boys" would not be encouraged and he would need to develop properly; if James was to receive praise. Emily, dismayed by the overly critical language, simply nodded before hugging James and saying goodbye.

From then on his time spent with Emily was a brief, but meaningful time in his life. James had even begun orchestrating events, with the help of his sister, to get his parents out of the house; so that he could have the reprieve that only his friend could offer. At his 10th birthday, which was a small family affair, Emily had managed to worm her way in. She had quickly become wise to Jame's parents physically/emotionally abusing him; however played along so as not to get James in trouble or be fired. She had started trying to look after him more, and with her leaving for college soon, decided to get him a special gift.

"Just between us okay?" She said with a smile as she handed him the wrapped present.

James opened the present to find that it was a pre-paid cellphone. Emily had gotten it for him so that, even though she would be going away soon, that they would be able to talk. That level of consideration brought young James to tears and he thanked her while hugging her tightly. For one brief moment, on one bright day, James had finally felt wanted. Over the years he had stopped being ruled by fear, had his rage tempered by Emily's compassion, and even had hope for the future. Tragically, this is not the path that James would be allowed to stay upon.

One night, after a particularly horrid evening of being beaten by his father and berated by his mother; James decided to use the phone to call Emily. She answered and he told her what was going on. Emily told him that everything would be okay and not to worry. While they were talking James' parents came and took his phone. They berated Emily for giving him a phone without their permission and told her she was to stay away. Emily attempted to argue, but they hung up. She decided that enough was enough and that she was going to get that boy out of that environment. She got in her car and began rushing to the house; worried that something horrible would be happening to James. Sadly it had been raining that night and the roads were very slippery. Emily would never make it to the house and James would never again have a bright day.

Elizabeth spent years preparing to reach her destination of becoming a prosecutor in the Keystone City D.A.'s office. She got good grades, did volunteer work to show good moral character, went to the best college to get into the best law school, and graduated at the top of her class. Her parents were proud and paid the cost of all of her time in university so as to spare her from crippling debt.

During her time in law school; Elizabeth gained an internship in the D.A.'s office and was able to work with the Augustus Robertson. She had become a dedicated student and worked tirelessly to make a lasting impression; in the hopes of better securing a spot upon graduation. Everything about the courthouse resonated with her on a level that nothing else had before. The rush of exhilaration she felt sitting in at trial, the rush of ecstasy she felt when she watched people give into trepidation by accepting plea bargains that weren't worth the paper they were printed on, etc; all filled her with a sense of purpose.

Upon graduating law school she effortlessly got a job working in the D.A.'s office thanks partially to Augustus becoming the new D.A., but mostly becomes the work she had put in as well as the respect she subtly demanded from those around her. It wasn't long before she was given her own cases to try and it was glorious. Caught with an ounce of weed? Jail. Suspected of theft? Jail. Someone accused of abuse based on virtually no evidence? 20 minutes until they accept the plea bargain and end up in jail. It was all too easy and the guilt/innocence of the accused did not even enter in Elizabeth's mind.

After working a few years she got her first high profile case. It was the kind of case where a name could be made and a career drastically escalated. Wealthy reputable man accused of killing his wife, and virtually all the evidence is circumstantial; "Oh happy day!" exclaimed Elizabeth delighted at the challenge. Now Elizabeth ended up having a harder time on the case than she had realized. Between the army of lawyers and the well paid mouthpieces known commonly as "experts"; Elizabeth was losing control of the jury. She could see the doubt in his guilt and growing compassion they were feeling. If she didn't find a way to steer the jury towards declaring guilt; then it would be a black stain on her record. A black stain is not something Elizabeth was prepared to tolerate.

So the night before closing arguments Elizabeth contemplated how to handle the case. Perhaps intimidate the jury by feigning anger? No too aggressive. Appealing to their love and compassion for the victim? No they don't know the victim and are to ingratiated with the accused.

It would seem the only emotional manipulation that could work is the one that she is all to happy to reflect upon; Fear.

Just then a yellow light gleamed outside her window and before she could see what it was; a yellow ring broke through the window presenting itself to her.

"Elizabeth Thorne of the planet Earth. You have the ability to instill great fear. Welcome to the Sinestro Corps." the ring announced with hypnotic resonance.

As the ring came closer, Elizabeth held out her hand, and once the ring moved gently on her finger; she was filled with an overwhelming sense of fear as well as power.

She was transformed. Floating in the air, emitting a yellow aura, and wearing a uniform of yellow/black. She felt like she could take on the world and now realized just how small of a concern that case she was contemplating; truly was. She was a newly born goddess upon the earth and it was time for the world to feel the fear of her magnificence.

James would leave his home on the day he turned 18 and would only say goodbye to his sister. He often reflected on whether his parents would be able to function without him as their outlet; then he would silently hope that they would simply end their lives violently by turning their evil on each other. As James drifted he had many odd jobs and spent time with various people; unable to find order in his life. However, even though he enjoyed the migration, James could not let go of the rage in his heart. After four years of staying away he finally returned to North City; only to find that his parents had died. His sister, emotionally wrecked by the sudden deaths of her loving parents, was immensely happy to have her brother back. She explained to him that they had both died together and both died from heart attacks. Admittedly they were both in their 60's, and James would only find enjoyment from laughing at the idea's they had hearts to break, but what angered him further was how attendants of the funeral began to romanticize all of it.

"At least they went together."- Said random moron

"It's so sweet how connected they truly were."- Gushed ignorant harpy

As James heard the insistent muttering of the over-opinionated room; he began to lose control. In a fit of uncontrollable rage he yelled out "Can we all stop playing pretend that these dead creatures were somehow worthy of consideration?!" The room had fallen silent as everyone, aside from his sister, were genuinely surprised. "The only things we should all be doing is having a party, enjoying some drinks, and taking turns spitting on their rotten corpses!" James exclaimed, preceding to walk up to each of their caskets. After taking a moment to reflect on his life under them; James leaned in and whispered "You may have broken my body and you may have scarred my mind; but my hate filled soul is my own." before ending his time in the funeral parlor by spitting on their bodies.

While walking out of the building he noticed a deputy having words with a drug dealer. Upon further inspection he noticed it was deputy Randall, his Father's go to guy, and that the engagement was not as one would expect between a cop/drug dealer.

"Now you can either give me the weed for free or I can arrest you for possession."- Said Randall menacingly.

"If you want it you can buy it, but this threatening shit is seriously messed up."- said the drug dealer.

"No see what's "seriously messed up" is if you don't give me the drugs for free then, not only will I arrest you, but I may just have to put my thumb on the scale to secure you a felony." Randall said with a grin.

Now James had heard enough. He had been unable to deal with his parents evil, but he would sooner die than stand idly by as the evil his Father cultivated was going to be passed on to future generations. James then walked over to Randall, grabbed him by the back of the head, and put his face on the ground. At that moment the drug dealer ran off while James flipped Randall over and said "Now Officer isn't buying drugs illegal?" he said with a wicked glee.

As James began beating Randall he couldn't help enjoying it; while at the same time imagining that it was his Father he was finally dealing with. However, before James could finish dealing with Randall's villainy; he was tasered in the back. The electric shock was excruciating and had the unfortunate end result of causing him to urinate uncontrollably. As laid there helpless from the taser; he could not stop Randall and his fellow deputy; from beating him like a dog. Then, shortly after the beating had begun, a crowd began to form. James couldn't tell if anyone was horrified or concerned; yet did make note of a few smiles. Before he could become anymore disillusioned with the decency of society, however, his sister ran out towards him with the New Sheriff, Nathan Monroe. Ashley immediately attack the nearest deputy she could by pushing him off James and then punched Randall across his face with a right hook. With the Sheriff standing there, neither deputy had the mindset to attack her, but the intent burned in their eyes. As Ashley held her brother; the deputies filled the Sheriff in on what had happened.

"Sheriff this maniac attacked me out from behind without provocation."- Said Randall.

"When I arrived on scene the individual was clearly assaulting Randall with what I believed to be a homicidal intent."- Declared the other deputy.

With James unable to coherently offer any explanation; the Sheriff decided he would take him in, lock him up, and question him in the morning.

After being unconscious, for who knows how long, James contemplated the life he had lead which has resulted in him sitting in this cage. In truth he had always expected to end up here. He was hated since birth by almost everyone, those who attempted to break him were exalted by society, and so why wouldn't he be deemed the 1 in 100 condemned to be locked away.

What was he supposed to be feeling? James thought long and hard on what emotions should be overwhelming him. Was it Fear? Unlikely given there was nothing to be afraid of. Unlike most people James was not hopeful enough to imagine a world that didn't come with a fair degree of pain. Compassion for the deputy? Absolutely not. Why share my almost non-existent loving heart with that corrupt hypocrite who should just be lucky he can still walk.

The only emotion that James should feel, the emotion that dominated most of his life, is rage. As he sits in his cell and reflects on all the pain in his life; James can barely take it. Rage begins to fill him and he want nothing more than to set this broken world right. James thinks to himself "That deputy is lucky he isn't here because from this day on I am done holding back my rage when it comes to bastards like him/my parents/the society that condones it all!"

Just then a dark red light shines and a red ring appears outside of the cell.

"James Crawford of Earth. You have great rage in your heart. You belong to the Red Lantern Corps." the ring declared in a deep demanding voice.

Without a moment of hesitation James put the ring on. When he did he felt a surge of energy as, what could only be described as red acidic vapor, forced it's way down his throat and throughout the rest of his body. He could feel the pain and exhilaration of it; as well as a brief moment wherein his heart stopped functioning. Yet even with the pain he could feel what he truly needed; the power. Power to escape this cell, power to punish that deputy, and power to save the world.

The next day James and Elizabeth utilize their new found powers.

Elizabeth by making the jury so irrational with fear that they only need deliberate for 10 minutes, on a murder trial that took days to present, to declare him guilty. After which she donned her uniform, concealed her identity, and flew into the sky ready to see how far fear could take her.

James sat patiently in his cell waiting for the deputies to arrive. Every fiber of his being demanded he break free and let loose his rage; however he would not be the beast that his parents were. He would choose to expel his anger only on those that deserve it and not merely those in view. Once Deputy Randall arrived however; the red power surged through him. James, donning his red and black uniform, attacked Randall! His eyes glowing red, acidic blooding oozing from his mouth, and a smile that would scare the devil himself. By the time fellow officers arrive; they find deputy Randall with every bone in his body broken but still alive.

James and Elizabeth both fly through the air; both eager to decide on what course of action to take next.

Elizabeth decides to fly over china giving all the sleeping citizens nightmares, she decides to cause a gang war by increasing the paranoia of certain volatile people, and causes a woman to burn down her family home; in order to save herself from ghosts.

James however walked a different; yet equally violent path. He used his ring to sense the rage of those across the world; searching for those with righteous hatred that they were simply to weak to act upon. He put a stop to a sex trafficking ring in south Florida, helped put an abusive spouse in her place, and put an end to a gang war.

However, that is when they begin to cross paths. Elizabeth sensing her fearful gang members had been stopped and James at the unnatural manipulation of the gang members minds. They both fly up, scanning with their rings, until they find each other.

"Who are you and why are you provoking people?!" Demanded James.

"Not that I answer to you, but I am simply having fun with my ring. Seeing how fragile people seem to be I will confess to being rather disappointed."- Elizabeth said despondently.

"Well I am telling you to stop doing it to people. If you need to get your freaky rocks off then at least do it in order to subdue bad people; leave the innocent be."- Declared James.

"You are rather assertive for someone I neither know nor care to know. With regards to my selection; I haven't decided what I like yet. Once I figure out who I like to instill with fear; I will be sure to run it by you" Elizabeth stated sarcastically.

"Allow me to make this clear." James said visibly starting to lost control due to frustration. "If you make so much as one good person do something unpleasant by instilling them with fear; then I will rip your arm off and that's just for starter." James decreed menacingly.

Elizabeth, enraged at this man's impertinence, attack him with a yellow blast from her ring!

James takes the blast and, terrifyingly enough, seems happy before attacking her with a red blast in kind.

The two begin to fly through the air, blasting and weaving, both unable to land an effective hit. Then Elizabeth scans James' mind for his fears in an attempt to use them against him. James is then made to see visions of his parents which momentarily causes him to stop in fear.

"Ah what's wrong; scared of mommy and daddy?" She inquired in a demeaning tone.

Then she noticed that he was no longer afraid but began burning red. "Scared? Oh no darling; you just threw fuel on the fire and I wanted to direct the explosion!"

Just then James shot at Elizabeth faster than she had been prepared to hand; resulting in James wrapping her up with his arms and vomiting the acidic blood on her face!

"AHHHH!" cried Elizabeth as she struggled to get out. Just then she learned to perform a new trick with her ring. She created a dog with her yellow ring and had it attack James before her face could burn anymore.

As James began fighting the yellow constructed dog; Elizabeth attempted to flee intending to recuperate before dealing with the fiery red lantern later. However, her dog proved a weak distraction and she found herself to be unable to outrun James.

"Going somewhere? You wouldn't be scared of me would you!" He yelled with righteous indignation as he began attacking her again with blasts.

As she dodged Elizabeth quickly attempted to search his mind for a deeper fear; perhaps one he did not consciously realize. The moment she finds it one of the red blasts hits her and puts her at the mercy of James. Before he can begin destroying her; Elizabeth creates a construct of Emily.

"Emily.....?" Inquired James.

"When did the sweet boy I knew become such a monster?" Emily asked in a disgusting tone. "Is this really what I traded my life for?"

"Emily I'm sorry please don't say that!" James pleaded; so distracted by this fear of her disappointment that his fiery red rage begins to subside.

It's at this moment when Elizabeth, sensing her moment to end this punk, creates a sword and plunges it through James' chest.

James goes limp as the sword pierces his heart.

"I don't know what's more pathetic," stated Elizabeth "The fact you left yourself open to be killed or the fact you fell for that illusion."

"I would say.... it was the falling for the illusion one." mumbled James

"Why do you say that?" Inquired Elizabeth.

"Because the kill you believe you have isn't a kill at all." James said while grinning a terrifying grin. "You see my heart stopped functioning the moment I put this ring on," James stated as he held up the ring "and so the thing you stabbed was really just dead weight." He explained while grabbing her arm with both hands.

"What are you doing?!" Elizabeth shrieked.

"Well I am rather furious about you showing me Emily in that horrid state," James explained "and it caused me to remember I said something about taking off your ARM!!!" Just then James spit out all of the acidic blood he could burning Elizabeth's arm and the aura around it! He then began to try to rip it off with his bare hands.

Elizabeth, while screaming in pain and fear, yelled "NO PLEASE STOP!" however it was too late as James ripped off her sinister arm containing the yellow ring of fear.

As James held up the arm in a triumphant stance; Elizabeth, now absent a power ring, lost the yellow light and began to fall. As she did her ring left her severed arm and placed itself upon her sole available hand.

As the yellow light engulfed her the ring declared "Medical Emergency. Beginning evacuation to Sinestro Corps medical facility." and flew an unconscious Elizabeth into space.

James triumphantly sounded "THIS WORLD IS MINE TO PROTECT AND NO ONE WILL THREATEN THE INNOCENT WHILE I DRAW BREATH!!!"

As James finishes his statement he proceeds to focus on using his ring to mend his damage and then continue to right the wrongs of the world.