My Darkest Night

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The year was 1999 as Prince would sing the world was supposed to party. It was supposed to end.

I came into the world screaming for air screaming for reason and wanting to forget something I had no clue what it was.

From a very young age I could recall things nobody else cared about. Little things and odd things. I woke up screaming in the night and nobody heard it. I rolled over and counted sheep. Only to stay awake not to go back to sleep.

I would count those sheep and then letter them and sometimes if I was waking from a really horrible nightmare I would name them. Bob , Sheela , Shelly , Henry and the list went on and on.

I never understood the meaning of such nightmares until one day I woke up and this being whom I did not know whom he was sat in my rocking chair and spoke to me.

He said. Listen to this. He spoke slowly and sure of himself he opened my window and outside there was all this play from people only they lacked something. I would like to call it the spark of life or a soul.

He looked at me and he smiled only I can still see that smile today. I think its more a evil grin.

I wonder what the meaning of it all was.

I had no problem falling back into a deep sleep. I even woke up several times looking at the chair with him still in it. Still looking at me still smiling and falling back into a deep sleep until I awoke and he was gone. I thought it was all just a dream.

Then I had nightmares about people around me and they would leave the world of the living and the details would scar me for years to come. They would die slowly and I was powerless to stop it all.

I warned a few at first. It changed nothing.

They laughed and they said oh let me guess , drive safe today do not do anything that could endanger my life.

I frowned and took their hands and said. I am sorry I cannot help you if you do not try to help yourself.

Once in a great while the universe would change things and they did not die. Maybe I got through to some. Maybe it was just a bad dream after all.

Then I woke up from the dream of all dreams. A huge comet falling from the sky it broke apart it struck the cities and it paved a path across the earth. I seen huge bunkers under ground and my warning from the greater spirits. Run to the shelters run to them all will perish all will die.

Floods struck the world and the earth shook and the fires spread and I was left waking up screaming covered in sweat gasping for air.

Still seeing the image of children burning to death and of diseases and starvation.

I walked to the window and there he was on the outside looking up to the heavens pointing up. He mouthed the words. No time like today he said.

I could see the huge monster of a asteroid coming.

Shelter get them to shelter he whispered.

How can you save those whom would never listen.

In the world the darkest night still has stars that light the night. They are out in the vastness of space.

They are the pinholes of hope. Cheering us on even when we do not see them because of the clouds or because the sun is so bright. They are still out in the spaces we will never get to see in this life time.

Cheer us on saying. Grow up people of Earth and explore the possible.

I opened the doorway to another possible. I looked behind me and waved goodbye to the figure in the yard.

Are you sure you want to leave he said.

I shook my head and smiled.

Nothing I can do here I said.

I closed the door and walked away.

The stars looked the same in this new place.

I woke up refreshed and looked around my house.

No chair I thought no rocking chair. No dark soul outside my window pointing up.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and enjoyed the day.

Life was good again , Life was very good I thought.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@arthurkerr: You should really start a library. That way it's easier to find your work, considering you post more frequently than most writers.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I thought this was a Batman story when I first saw the title. =P

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this was different... is it a standalone piece?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this was different... is it a standalone piece?

Yes, and thank you for reading it. Just a idea I played with. Somebody that can see things take place but is powerless to stop the out come. Just because you can see the future unfolding does not mean it comes with times and dates.