#1 Edited by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so I wasn't really sure if this is a good idea or if there is something I need to correct, but I would love to have you guys check this out and give me some feedback.

Thanks!

-------------------------

I came up with this character, but just background. I don't have any story written about her yet. I do know that I want her joining the X-Men, though.

Joan "Taddy" Earhart

Powers: Every time she comes into contact with the any of the materials that are part of a house, building, enclosure, or any sort of transportation, she is basically accessing the construction's memories. For example, if she was taken aboard a private jet, then just by having her feet in contact with the floor of the jet, she could hear every conversation that was ever spoken aboard that jet, view any documents, (but only if the document was visible during the flight), see any pictures, etc. The restriction is that it would have to be visible or audible. It is basically like having the entire plane (or building, house, whatever) bugged with mikes and cameras all over from the time it was built. Almost like reading a psychic imprint, but she has no telepathy or telekinesis.

Restrictions/Weaknesses: Joan is a quadriplegic. She was injured in a diving accident when she was 11. She is also only 15 currently, and so she is not as experienced in life as an older member of the X-Men might be.

Stats:

Height: 4'7" (If she was standing)

Weight: 90 lbs.

Eyes: blue

Hair: blond

Backstory: Joan "Taddy" Earhart was born in Austin, Texas, the only child of Adam and Rachel Earhart. The nickname of Taddy came from her small stature and her love of the water. She was the smallest of her friends in the 4th grade, and she loved to go swimming every weekend. Her nickname became Tadpole, and was soon shortened to Taddy, since Taddy was easier to say.

At 10 years of age, Taddy was a promising gymnast. She was already competing and had won two medals in her age division of state. Her father, Adam, was all set to see his daughter in the Olympics, but that dream came crashing down the day that Joan went swimming and dove into the water, striking her head on a rock. Her friend pulled her out of the water and called an ambulance when Taddy realized she couldn't move.

With lots of TLC and good bit of physical therapy, Joan learned to cope, but she still needed help with hundreds of menial tasks. She could not so much as get a drink without help, so she required an assistant at all times. By the time she was 13, however, she had acquired limited use of her shoulder muscles, and could do small things like control her motorized wheelchair or use a stick held in her mouth to turn the pages of a book, but the doctors believe she will never be able to get any other muscle use back.

Three months before her 15th birthday, her powers manifested themselves. She woke up and was able to hear and see everything that had happened in her house since it was built. Taddy turned back in time to see herself as a baby, only to learn that she had been adopted at the age of two. Her parents had never told her, so this was a big shock to her. The combination of realizing that she would have to tell her parents about her powers, and that she was adopted and her parents had never told her, both served to stress her to such an extent that her mutant signature could be felt all the way to New York, where Xavier was operating Cerebro to look for new mutants to help. Taddy's mutant signature could be felt, stronger than the others that Xavier was looking at during that time, despite the fact that Taddy was in Texas.

Xavier took Storm and Iceman to go talk to Taddy's parents and convince them that she would be welcome at the Institute, and after much convincing, they decided to let her go. Taddy herself was unsure at first, but soon realized the advantages and the rest, as they say, is history. :-)

Taddy does not actively participate in the X-Men's doings, but when they are fairly confident there is no danger they will use her help with espionage. The X-Men can take her to an empty warehouse, etc, to learn of harmful plans and other goings on of the villains. She also acts as a living surveillance camera for the mansion.

--------------------------------------

So that is a summary of my character, any feedback or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by batkevin74 (10587 posts) - - Show Bio

@AnnaMarieDarkholme: She seems like a one shot character or someone the X-Men roll out, pardon the dreadful and unintentional pun, when writers write themself into a corner. I would like to see you dazzle me with a story but unlike Charles who if he gets knocked out of his chair, can do a heroic crawl for help; Taddy being a quadraplegic is well stuck (I sound cruel...it's not meant to be)

Write it up, but I can't really see her as the star, great support character though

#3 Posted by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: I definitely meant her as a support character. Like I said earlier, Taddy is only meant to help with gathering info, not when there are any fights going on. I am thinking that the most action she would see would be, for example, she stays outside a villain hq and Jean stays with to protect her, and then she would relay info to the team via Jean or something like that.

Thanks for the reply

#4 Posted by Project_Worm (3388 posts) - - Show Bio
@AnnaMarieDarkholme: Seems like a pretty interesting concept for a character but like Kev said, having her be immobile weakens her character, might I even say cripples her character? :P... In all seriousness it just doesn't make sense (to ME). Before I read the part about the accident I imagined her as a kind of detective... But as it stands in order for her powers to be at all useful she would need to be carried around and pressed up against stuff, just seems to defeat the purpose in my opinion.
#5 Posted by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I was afraid that having Taddy as a paraplegic would seem too much like I was drawing off of Xavier, but if you guys think it would improve the character I am all for it.

#6 Posted by batkevin74 (10587 posts) - - Show Bio

@AnnaMarieDarkholme: I don't mind if she's para, quad or mega-pelgic but having such a massive disadvantage in a comic book world, you can end up writing yourself into a corner with her and having lots of 'coincidences' save her all them time. She's great but she does spend most of her time flat on her back in a physical vegetative state. If she is pushed out of bed by the bad guy, hell even a henchman, she's done for!

But I like her and would like to see you try something with her.

#7 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@AnnaMarieDarkholme: This for fun or for an Rp?

#8 Edited by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just for fun. I just had the idea for the power one day and decided to build off it.

#9 Posted by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so here is the revised version:

Joan "Taddy" Earhart

Powers: Every time she comes into contact with the any of the materials that are part of a house, building, enclosure, or any sort of transportation, she is basically accessing the construction's memories. For example, if she was taken aboard a private jet, then just by having her feet in contact with the floor of the jet, she could hear every conversation that was ever spoken aboard that jet, view any documents, (but only if the document was visible during the flight), see any pictures, etc. The restriction is that it would have to be visible or audible. It is basically like having the entire plane (or building, house, whatever) bugged with mikes and cameras all over from the time it was built. Almost like reading a psychic imprint, but she has no telepathy or telekinesis.

Restrictions/Weaknesses: Joan is a paraplegic. She was injured in a diving accident when she was 11. She is also only 15 currently, and so she is not as experienced in life as an older member of the X-Men might be.

Stats:

Height: 4'7" (If she was standing)

Weight: 90 lbs.

Eyes: blue

Hair: blond

Backstory: Joan "Taddy" Earhart was born in Austin, Texas, the only child of Adam and Rachel Earhart. The nickname of Taddy came from her small stature and her love of the water. She was the smallest of her friends in the 4th grade, and she loved to go swimming every weekend. Her nickname became Tadpole, and was soon shortened to Taddy, since Taddy was easier to say.

At 10 years of age, Taddy was a promising gymnast. She was already competing and had won two medals in her age division of state. Her father, Adam, was all set to see his daughter in the Olympics, but that dream came crashing down the day that Joan went swimming and dove into the water, striking her head on a rock. Her friend pulled her out of the water and called an ambulance when Taddy realized she couldn't move her legs.

With lots of TLC and good bit of physical therapy, Joan learned to cope, but still had issues with not being able to walk. She worked on developing her arm muscles so that she would not have to be dependant on other people for every little thing. She soon got to the point where she could lift herself in and out of her wheelchair and maneuver it around the house without help.

Three months before her 15th birthday, her powers manifested themselves. She woke up and was able to hear and see everything that had happened in her house since it was built. Taddy turned back in time to see herself as a baby, only to learn that she had been adopted at the age of two. Her parents had never told her, so this was a big shock to her. The combination of realizing that she was a mutant, and that she was adopted and her parents had never told her, both served to stress her to such an extent that her mutant signature could be felt all the way to New York, where Xavier was operating Cerebro to look for new mutants to help. Taddy's mutant signature could be felt, stronger than the others that Xavier was looking at during that time, despite the fact that Taddy was in Texas.

Xavier took Storm and Iceman to go talk to Taddy's parents and convince them that she would be welcome at the Institute, and after much convincing, they decided to let her go. Taddy herself was unsure at first, but soon realized the advantages and the rest, as they say, is history. :-)

Taddy does not actively participate in the X-Men's doings, but when they are fairly confident there is no danger they will use her help with espionage. The X-Men can take her to an empty warehouse, etc, to learn of harmful plans and other goings on of the villains. She also acts as a living surveillance camera for the mansion.

--------------------------------------

Tell me what you think!

:-)

Thanks

#10 Posted by TheCannon (18304 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by AnnaMarieDarkholme (17 posts) - - Show Bio