Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to instigate a mutual reading policy.

I'll happily read yours, even comment on your story, critique at times. What I'd like in return is you to read something of mine and also comment. A quid pro quo if you will. Why?

I'm sick of seeing stories of mine getting 30 views and 1 comment. So basically if you want me to read your stories, then you know what to do.

Maybe coz I like the attention, but maybe I want to hear what people have to say about my stuff. Someone said I write good all the time, I beg to differ! (It's really nice to hear though)

So mutual reading policy goes into effect. Please write and I'll read, If you want me to keep on reading, then drop a comment on some of my stuff

batkevin74

#1 Posted by Pyrogram (38284 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this, I will abide to this mate :)

#2 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

See, I need this.

Really, one of my stories got 40 or so views and 3 comments.

#3 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18046 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree,I dont go to effort to write the next part of my story then share it with everyone for no one to comment on it.

Also if anyone wants me to check out their story shoot me a PM and I will give my thoughts.

#4 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18046 posts) - - Show Bio

And this appears to be in the off topic section should it be in the fan fic section ?

Correct me if I am wrong.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd agree with this

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm... Can I cash this in on a video? I haven't written anything (yet), but I've made various videos. I read and comment on your stories, you watch and comment on one of my videos?

#7 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

And this appears to be in the off topic section should it be in the fan fic section ?

#8 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18046 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I was thinking it might be an error just curious though.

#9 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

It may be. Either way I agree with this statement.

#10 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18046 posts) - - Show Bio

It may be. Either way I agree with this statement.

Okay was just asking.

#11 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: Sure, its a fair system

@mrdecepticonleader: well it's about fan-fiction but not fan-fiction, so I thought off topic would be appropriate

@Jonny_Anonymous: Coolio :)

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: No not wrong, see above

@YoungJustice: Simple dude, you read mine, I'll read yours, we both win

@Pyrogram: You certainly do and I appreciate it

#12 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Excellent. You PM me a link to a story of yours, or wherever they're located, I'll PM you a video of mine.

#13 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

Done!

#14 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18046 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: Alright

As I said and that goes for anyone PM me your stories if you want and I will give feedback.As I dont always go onto the fan fic section.

#15 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Notice how the guy that quotes your stories, then spell and grammar checks them made this thread. 

#16 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespideyguy said:

Notice how the guy that quotes your stories, then spell and grammar checks them made this thread.

Well someone had to! :)

#17 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

Casual bump!

#18 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1673 posts) - - Show Bio

I concur with: @Pyrogram said:

and @mrdecepticonleader said:

I agree,I dont go to effort to write the next part of my story then share it with everyone for no one to comment on it.

and @Jonny_Anonymous said:

I'd agree with this

I'd agree with this

and this! @thespideyguy said:

Notice how the guy that quotes your stories, then spell and grammar checks them made this thread.

Good show!

#19 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@4donkeyjohnson said:

I concur with: @Pyrogram said:

and @mrdecepticonleader said:

and @Jonny_Anonymous said:

I'd agree with this

I'd agree with this

and this! @thespideyguy said:

Good show!

Wow! Thanks

#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5875 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is great! It would definitely help more people get their fan fictions read and commented on. I also have fan fictions that has over 50 views, but only 1 comment and that does annoy me.  So, I'm definitely thinking about doing this also and I will start reading your fan fictions!

#21 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog: Quid pro quo, I'll see if I can check out your new Red Steel, have seen it was up just haven't read it

#22 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: I read a lot of your stuff

#24 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@batkevin74: I read a lot of your stuff

You most certainly do. This wasn't directed at anyone, just a general this is what I'm gonna do. I like reading stuff but some peeps don't respond in kind, or read but don't comment which is probably my issue.

You sir are a prince!

:)

#25 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers unite against the most powerful enemy of us all---apathy.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't count the number of times when I've had a fic with like 50 views and no comments, not asking for a rave but the occasional bump would be nice

#27 Edited by dngn4774 (3124 posts) - - Show Bio

Just caught up reading Saga of Ravan, then I look in the library and find the prelude chapters.  Damn!  This is the second time I've done this with a mayhem work.  I feel like when one of my friends when they watch a Star Wars episode out of order.
As for your policy, I kind of have mixed feelings about it.  It is courteous to comment and more people should do it, but it wouldn't mean anything if it was coerced.  We should comment on other authors' works because we are interested in what they are doing, not to just pay back a debt because someone read ours.  Chances are if your comment just for the sake of commenting, your comment really isn't going to help the author.

#28 Edited by Pyrogram (38284 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774: This is slightly true, For example jonnmightbe or how you spell it links me to a lot of his good stuff, but I do not comment on all as I do not find any improvements. ( to suggest he do, as it is already good )

#29 Posted by Irishlad (573 posts) - - Show Bio

point me in the direction of any story and I'll read + comment but you've to comment on Secret Six #7 :P

#30 Posted by wildvine (9544 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

Chances are if your comment just for the sake of commenting, your comment really isn't going to help the author.

Forced to disagree. Not every comment needs to be constructive. "Good job" will serve in a pinch. We just want to know we are being read. And all those viewers who never comment don't count. One comment is worth 5 views.

@Pyrogram said:

but I do not comment on all as I do not find any improvements.

Again, we just want to know we're getting read.

#31 Posted by Pyrogram (38284 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@dngn4774 said:

Chances are if your comment just for the sake of commenting, your comment really isn't going to help the author.

Forced to disagree. Not every comment needs to be constructive. "Good job" will serve in a pinch. We just want to know we are being read. And all those viewers who never comment don't count. One comment is worth 5 views.

@Pyrogram said:

but I do not comment on all as I do not find any improvements.

Again, we just want to know we're getting read.

I understand, but when linked to 20 things at the same time ( that I asked for ) commenting on all 20 is a bit excessive.

#32 Posted by wildvine (9544 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

I understand, but when linked to 20 things at the same time ( that I asked for ) commenting on all 20 is a bit excessive.

Don't read them all in one setting. You will get comment burn out.

#33 Posted by Pyrogram (38284 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: advice taken

#34 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

Don't read them all in one setting. You will get comment burn out.

@dngn4774 said:

It is courteous to comment and more people should do it, but it wouldn't mean anything if it was coerced. We should comment on other authors' works because we are interested in what they are doing, not to just pay back a debt because someone read ours.

This is true, but sometimes there needs to be the initial whack on the nose to get people into the habit :) I don't want people to blow smoke (I also don't just want 'good job' written 12 times either) But this is just a general rule I'm trying to implement, for me anyways.

@Pyrogram said:

I shall make it 21! Ha ha ha

** This is mainly to get people into a pattern of reading and commenting. Comments don't always have to be 'good job' because sometimes, you just don't like what's been written. I've had a comment equivilent of 'Meh!" from Ravager4 on my Doomsday Elseworlds and I've had Joygirl rip into my lack of fullstops & commas for example. I myself went probably a little overboard on Theik2's latest story saying I won't read anymore of their stuff until they learn how to put things in paragraphs!

The mutual reading policy is what I'd like. I read yours, I probably read and commented on yours already, so then read one of mine.

#35 Posted by Pyrogram (38284 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74: :) I was going to literally this second lol, Where is the rest of your terminator story!

#36 Posted by dngn4774 (3124 posts) - - Show Bio

: While we're still on the subject of commenting, what do "bump comments" mean?

#37 Posted by batkevin74 (10780 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: It's in the works

@dngn4774: Bumping puts your work to the top of the pile on the front page. It's often a way to get neglected, overlooked or just plain old missed work a second or third go since there's always different people on all over CV at different times.