Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Marvel Mayhem: Thunderbolts Classic Halloween Special

For More Marvel Mayhem visit the Library or the Group’s Facebook Page

Marvel Mayhem and Impurest Cheese Present: Thunderbolts – Best Left Buried

Champagne de Francais, 31st October 2011

The Zeus Shuttle descended through the layers of mist into the darkened French Countryside before setting down on a grassy knoll. For a few seconds as the jet powered down the doors remained closed until with a whoosh they opened and the people inside descended into the darkened countryside. Leading the group was a lithe blonde woman dressed in silver, a bored look on her face as she landed delicately onto the grass and mud.

No Caption Provided

“Remind me to ‘thank’ the CSA* for waking me up just so I can run around the stinking French Countryside.” The woman snorted as the others followed her out.

“Can it Karla, from what the reports stated there may be several superhuman related abductions in the area.” A second woman stated her locks streaked with pink that almost seemed to shine in the darkness.

“You’re not in charge here Songbird, Gyrich put me in charge of this team of Thunderbolts, your just here because we need a photogenic face and to be honest you only were considered for that because everyone else here is ugly.” Karla snapped before turning to the assorted Thunderbolts clustered around the Zeus. “Now can we hurry this up, I have an appointment with a pair dock workers back at Mt Thunder who are going to dress up as Hawkeye and Baron Zemo so I can ‘attempt to redeem them’.”

No Caption Provided

“Huh how come she gets a date and we don’t?” The hulking form of Donald Mac Gangran AKA the Scorpion asked the man covered in spikes standing next to him. “You look like you’d enjoy a good roll in the sack with some Las Vegas prostitute Penance.” Penance didn’t reply, he rarely talked, his mind destroyed by the things he had seen only months before in Stamford, Connecticut.

“Both of you shut up!” Moonstone snapped, “Dr Chen, you and Harrier take point, the barrow we saw on approach is about a mile to the North East, locate it and shoot up a flare so the rest of us can home in on it.”

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Songbird asked, “We don’t know what’s out there.”

“They are big boys and as the CSA is keen to point out, we are just disposable assets, well except for me.” Moonstone purred, “Now if you need me I’ll be in the Zeus drinking a bottle of Chapel Down’s finest wine.” She added before flying back into the Shuttle with the door closing behind her. Songbird looked around and sighed, the team was fairly new but she had high hopes for the group; she was familiar with Radioactive Man and the Swordsman having served with both fairly recently whilst Harrier and Gypsy Moth were older acquaintances and both had volunteered to re-join the Thunderbolts to reduce their sentences. Only Penance and Scorpion were new to the group and remained a mystery but both had made reassurances that they were here for more then just a free pass. The only resistance she faced was Moonstone but fortunately Melissa had enough experience of Karla’s manipulation to reduce the damage she could do to the team’s harmony. Her only regret was that Abe and Erik had left, she missed both of them and hoped wherever they were it was nicer then the stinking field she found herself in.

“Flare.” Penance mumbled as a gout of white flame shot up. Songbird nodded before creating a sonic platform underneath the group before heading to the already fading light. As she arrived she saw that Harrier had scattered glow-sticks all over the front of the barrow to reveal the walls decorated with mystical runes and the pair of train tracks heading into the tombs interior.

“Huh, your nicer burial mounds have public transport.” Scorpion grunted as the Thunderbolts stepped off and assembled around the mouth of the tomb.

“Could have been a mine at one time.” Harrier suggested. “Radioactive Man was able to date the metal in the rails. They appear to date back to the Second World War and were in use until the 1950s.”

No Caption Provided

”What about the writing on the wall?” Songbird asked casting a quick glance at the Swordsman who was rocking back and forth slowly, almost as if he was nervous about something.”

“They are Romany glyphs.” Gypsy Moth purred as she ran her hands across the face of the barrow. “Oh my…argh.” As she continued her exploration of the runes her hand sunk into the wall all the way up to her elbow, the stone refusing to let go. Dashing forward Scorpion plunged his tail into the rock only to see the point shatter on the stone before he was flung back by an unseen force. With a scream Gypsy Moth attempted to pull her own arm out before Songbird stopped her.

“Swordsman cut through the stone, we need you.” Radioactive Man called as he fired a pulse of nuclear energy at the wall only for the energy to disperse harmfully. Shakily the Swordsman walked over and energized his blade before plunging it into the rock and cutting a circle around Gypsy Moth’s hands and loosening the stone enough for her to slip her arm out. As she did it was clear to see why she had been screaming, branded into her arm though her costume was a set of Romany sigils, all glowing an ominous crimson.

No Caption Provided

“It’s real.” Swordsman stated as he looked down at Gypsy Moth as Harrier opened up a first aid kit and removed a length of gauze.

“What is real Andreas?” Melissa asked, “What do you and Sybil know about this place?”

“My father used to tell us about a place known as Der Insel der Leichen, a secret Concentration Camp that was operated by HYDRA within allied territory. It was a place to manufacture biological weapons, both plagues and super soldiers using the locals and undesirables shipped from Germany as test subjects. He used to threaten me and my sister with a trip there if we didn’t behave.” Swordsman explained.

“It is more then that.” Gypsy Moth continued, “After the war the French Government and the Romany Elders came to an agreement. All Nazi war prisoners caught in their lands were to be transported here where they would be sealed inside the barrow and cursed to live an unending life of damnation for their crimes. My Grandfather used to talk proudly about this place, about how there would be no salvation for the worst of humanity.”

“This place radiates pain.” Penance mumbled before lumbering into the opening, his body quickly swallowed up by the darkness.

“Do we really have to go in after him?” Scorpion asked as the others looked around in equal parts surprise and horror.

No Caption Provided

“Yes.” Melissa said before shuddering, “Karla, its Songbird can you hear us?” She added before waiting for a reply. “Okay looks like we’re not going to get any help from the team leader. Everyone stick close and keep an eye out for Penance, we are not leaving this place until we find him.” She added before leading the rest of the group into the darkness. Within a few steps she stumbled into a lit concrete channel and turned waiting for the others to emerge after her but after a minute nobody emerged.

“Figures.” She grunted before traversing along the channel, water reaching her waist before reaching a pump station at the end, the large diesel engine ringed with glass canisters swirling with thick green gas. Curiously Melissa put her hand on the nearest tube and looked inside before seeing a woman’s face emerge from the mist, banging on the walls in panic. Backing off in shock Melissa hit something solid behind her and turned around to see the same green gas swirling around her as she stared out of the tube at the blonde woman dressed in black leather trousers and jacket, her hair done up in a braid.

“The serum is having an undesirable effect; it appears the transformation from human flesh into living poison gas is unsustainable.” The woman stated as a group of HYDRA agents crowded around her, “If released into the atmosphere the body converts back into human flesh.”

Melissa blinked before seeing cracks form on the tube in front of her before the device exploded and green gas leaked out before being followed by a female figure cackling manically before dissipating into the atmosphere. Blinking again Melissa realised that she must have subconsciously released whatever was inside, and she had the feeling that the situation was going to get worse.

Chen Lu strode out of the darkness followed by Scorpion into a room decorated with signs displaying the tri-lobed warning stickers for excessive radiation. Looking around Chen took in the lead lined viewing room, the examination table and the skeletal remains huddled into the corner.

“Uh where’s Songbird?” Scorpion asked nervously as Chen walked over to the table.

No Caption Provided

“I do not know.” Chen replied, “I detected a slight temporal shift as we entered the barrow, almost as if something was trying to separate us.”

“Like the Romany Curse that was laid on this place?” Scorpion asked as he bent down next to the corpse. “Huh I’ve got some kind of medical chart here.” He added taking a clipboard out of the dead man’s hands. “Okay looks like most of the guys here were goons but there were three main scientists here; Dr. Elsa Zota Professor of Chemical Warfare, Dr Ernst Blitzen Professor of Radiation and Dr Erik Von Lubre Professor of Evolution. All three of them reported to Armin Zola directly and then onto the other HYDRA commanders.”

Chen reached out and touched the gurney before feeling the straps lash around his arms as a wizened man carrying a clipboard walked in flanked by two HYDRA guards. “So the Red Skull sends us another test subject. This time we will try double the dosage of gamma particles to see how long the body can withstand bombardment of radiation. If the results are favourable we can start mass production of Nuclear Suicide Bombers for shipment to America, Britain and Russia to target their manufacturing sites.” Chen withdrew and turned to look back at Scorpion before asking, “Did you see that?”

“Uh no.” Scorpion answered before turning around to replace the clipboard only to see its owner was gone. “Did you see where ‘Bones’ walked off to?”

“No.” Chen answered, “But it left a radioactive trail that I should be able to follow.” He added as he pointed to the green glowing fragments of bone that led out the room.

Harrier activated his jets as he descended down the vent shaft lined with cages containing the dead bodies of people, albeit people that seemed deformed almost as if they had regressed into feral primitive forms. Landing he kicked open a door and walked into the lab only to see a man wearing the uniform of a US Marine sitting in a massive cage, his hands ending in hooked claws and his teeth re-curved into fangs with thick green saliva dripping down them.

“The perimeter guards caught another American again.” A thickset man in a lab coat grunted from behind some reinforced glass. “He will make a good ‘pack mate’ for specimen HsCl-0021 but first he needs to be prepared.” He stated as the cage opened up and the vicious hybrid slammed into Harrier knocking him to the floor. “The genetic combination requires the DNA of the test subject to be damaged per Dr. Zola’s instruction.” He added as Harrier flung the creature off only to see a pair of eyes glowing red from the darkened corner as his attacker splintered into bone and shadow. Backing into the vent shaft he was greeted by a wave of noise as all the deformed bodies sprung to life and attempted to escape their cages.

“Oh man this place is messed up more then we could ever know.” Harrier grunted before seeing a flash of pink and green cross one of the walkways. “Hey guys down here.” He called out just as the trapped bodies went silent and the room shifted into a courtyard flanked with barbed wire and sentry towers. “There is something wrong here; I just saw what I think was a memory left here by the guys running this place.”

No Caption Provided

“Chen and I both encountered the same thing.” Melissa stated, “And we might have at least two supernatural entities running around in this place. While in some kind of gas chamber I encountered a woman made of gas and Chen and Mac found a corpse that later was missing.”

“Make that three.” Harrier added, “I saw something feral lurking back in the labs. I don’t suppose any of you found Penance while you were in the other areas?”

“No and Gypsy Moth and Swordsman are still missing which considering their cultures history with this place isn’t good.” Chen stated, “But considering that this place has some kind of energy field that bends space and time I’m not surprised we got separated.”

“Well where are they?” Scorpion asked. “And more importantly how do we shut this place down before the ghosts come back.”

“I don’t know.” Melissa sighed. “For that we need to find Sybil, Andreas and Penance.”

Gypsy Moth rounded the corner of the corridor loaded with gas cylinders occasionally shooting glances back over her shoulder. Something was alive down here, or at the very least had some kind of meta-physical form. Concentrating she sharpened blades of silk along her arms before leaping for the gantry and stabbing the hooks into the metal as the boot steps echoed behind her before the figure dressed in a HYDRA uniform emerged carrying a pulse rifle.

No Caption Provided

“Dr. Ekhardt we have no contact in Sector 12.” The HYDRA goon mumbled “Must have been a false alarm. I’ll do a quick sweep and then head back to the control centre.” He added before walking down the hall and breaking the faint silk trip line spread across the hall. Silently the Swordsman emerged from one of the alcoves and grabbed the trooper before pulling him into the shadows. Dropping down from the gantry Gypsy Moth picked up his rifle and joined them as her team-mate placed a dagger against the HYDRA soldier’s neck.

“Let’s have a quick discussion about your mission.” Andreas snarled as he placed the blade against the man’s neck so hard that beads of sweat running down the blade were tinted red. “Starting with your chain of command.”

“Doctor you may want to double your guard.” A woman purred as she walked into the former commandant’s office that now served as a HYDRA field-command centre followed by an armoured HYDRA agent. “We have uninvited guests.”

“Starting with you.” A man in a lab coat and glasses stammered, “Who are you?” He stammered as the massive HYDRA agent stirred behind him.

“Dr Ekhardt I am Ms. Fischer and this is Agent 13, we were sent by Baron von Strucker to make sure your progress is up to his standard.” Fischer stated. “And to warn you that the American’s have sent Songbird and her pack of turncoats to disrupt your work.”

“We know.” A glowing green figure floating around the ceiling hissed. “We have taken steps to deal with them.”

“Then you are aware of the disruption in the Necromantic Energy Field.” Agent 13 grunted. “Someone is messing with it.”

“Erkling investigate the energy core, kill everyone inside.” Ekhardt stammered as the massive figure behind him stirred and walked out the door. “Doctors send your forces against the Thunderbolts; make sure that this place becomes their tomb. You two wait there while I contact Viper and find out what she has told Strucker about Operation Totes Spiegel.” He added as the three spirits floated out through the wall and the hulking giant stepped out the room. “Now who did you say you were again?” He asked as he looked up to see his remaining agents trapped in silken cocoons and a man clad in purple holding a sword against his neck.

“Dr Ekhardt.” Swordsman snorted, “You are under arrest.”

No Caption Provided

Scorpion snarled as he turned round and slammed a trio of spirits with his tail, the two feral monsters flying backwards as the remaining gaseous entity flew towards him screaming. Before she could smother him she was met by a revolving sonic turbine that sent her flying away. Looking up Scorpion saw his saviour turn her attention to a shambling radioactive corpse, the turbine slicing through his body like a knife through butter.

“Thanks.” He grunted as he slammed a second radioactive zombie away.

“Your on a team know Mac, your on my team.” Songbird stated as she slammed a group of feral spirits against the wall with a sonic ram-rig. “And the Thunderbolts always have each others back.”

“Well in that case this should help Harrier out.” Scorpion replied as he shot a blast of acid from his tail at a pair of gas ghosts swirling around Harrier as her held back a small group of radioactive zombies with a hail of gunfire. The acid struck the spirits and caused them to liquefy into a pool of vivid green liquid that drained into the corners of the room.

No Caption Provided

“There are too many to fight.” Radioactive Man stoically stated as he drained the surrounding zombies of radiation and then sent the energy back at a pack of feral spirits. “We can hold them off for now but until we can find a way to permanently destroy them we are fighting a losing battle.”

“We’ll think of something Chen.” Melissa answered as Harrier ignited a gas ghost with his flamethrower into a flailing fireball. “The Thunderbolts always come out on top.”

Penance followed the cries of pain until the individual voices were lost and the screams were a single sheet of agony. As the force became a physical presence he saw a revolving blue energy core mounted in a tower of bone, the occasional spirit being ripped out of the earth and sent drifting into the chasm and the concentration camp below surrounded by a lake of corpses. Most of the spirits were wearing prison uniforms and were actively trying to return to the grave, their passage blocked by the energy source.

“So what the hell are you supposed to be?” A brutish voice grunted from below as Erkling pulled himself up off the ladder and flexed his muscles ready for battle.

No Caption Provided

“I’m Penance for the sins I have committed.” Penance answered as Erkling advanced menacingly and slammed his fist into the spiked faceplate of the Thunderbolt, his body seemingly immune to the pain caused by the spikes.

“You are about to be dead.” Erkling roared as he landed blow after blow on Penance, “What are you? A pacifist?”

“I am the suffering of innocence incarnate.” Penance moaned.

“And I’ll make sure your suffering continues into the afterlife.” Erkling grunted not noticing the rivers of blue energy radiating across his hands. “Because as soon as you die your spirit will be...” He never finished as Penance sent an energy field outwards, the force ripping the spirit vortex to pieces and propelling Erkling’s body down into the chasm. In seconds the local spirits were free and spread out into the cave; looking for the retribution they were owed.

Down below in the camp courtyard Songbird sent a hail of sonic daggers into the crowd of spirits, the pink knives cutting down several of the un-dead horde but it wasn’t enough. It felt almost like they had been fighting for years, a dirty trick of the temporal field that penetrated the barrow no doubt. The others were also beginning to slip up and as Chen had said they were soon going to be overrun.

“Songbird,” Harrier croaked, “my armour sensors are picking up an energy fluctuation that matches the ones Penance can produce. He’s directly above us.”

No Caption Provided

“Huh well he could give us a hand.” Scorpion grumbled as the four Thunderbolts looked up to see meteors of blue energy rain down on them followed by a swarm of spirits, all of them attacking the ghosts attacking the Thunderbolts in a strange violent yet bloodless ballet until nothing was left of either side besides rotting bone. “Okay that officially is the weirdest thing I’ve seen all day.” Mac commented as Gypsy Moth flew out of one of the towers.

“Melissa darling.” She purred, “We have twelve HYDRA prisoners in the mess hall. They are the ones who woke the spirits in the first place.”

“Good Harrier, Scorpion give Gypsy Moth a hand locating the entrance and send them up to the Zeus for transportation.” Songbird ordered before turning to Chen. “I want this place buried Chen, this isn’t like the other camps, they were horrible places but this…what the Nazis and then the Romany and French did here; it makes it to dangerous to be left standing. I’m not one to burry the past but this…this will help no one if it’s not destroyed. Der Insel der Leichen has claimed its last victims.”

*Commission of Superhuman Affairs

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Ooh, spooky. I really liked this.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Nazi/Zombie stuff always is creepy. Might end up doing holiday specials with the Thunderbolts (Classic) line-up until I get an entire annum. Thanks for the comment.

#impurestisfearsavatar

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: I now know I will make a Christmas special. :) Wonder what it will be like, lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@themanintheshoe: What? Competition NOOOOOO. I barley get any comments as it is...

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheManInTheShoe
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe: Much ha ha. Finally on holiday so I can cross blades at any time I like. Well not next week I have a relaxing five days of canyoning, kayaking, free diving, mountain biking and free climbing in picturesque Slovenia to entertain me. :-)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Bump because I can :-)