Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Marvel Mayhem - The Villain's Tale #7: Revelations

All Characters are Owned by Marvel Comics

For Marvel Mayhem visit the Library or visit the Group’s Facebook Page

The event follow on from the Villain's Tale #6/New York's Finest #7 Crossover

Last issue Overrider and his ad hoc team of villains and cons found out that breaking out of Police Plaza One would be a lot harder than getting in. Between heart attacks, actual attacks and the appearance of a mysterious officer known as P. Oca the criminals were lucky to escape with their lives. Heading to the Black Lodge, a medical facility set up Spymaster, Impala revealed she had been shot and died only yards from safety leaving Overrider and new partner Spectre to face the looming conspiracy targeting low level criminals alone.

The elevator pinged and Brass kicked the door down with a massive metallic foot before stomping inside carrying the bodies of 8-Ball and Impala. Behind the robot Overrider and Spectre struggled to catch up as the medical staff all drew weapons and aimed them at the hulking machine.

“Please stop we're patients.” Overrider cried as he ran in front of Brass. “My friends need medical assistance.”

“Lower your weapons.” A metallic tiny sounding voice ordered as a figure dressed in dark yellow armour walked out. “Get stretchers out here now!” He yelled before pointing at a pair of security drones painted the same colours as his suit. “You two make sure only personel registered with the Black Lodge gets in to see them.”

No Caption Provided

“Spymaster thank you, our friends got attacked by police officers.” Overrider told their host. “We…what?” He stammered as Spymaster tilted his head to one side.

“You don't have to lie to me.” Spymaster told them. “I know you were responsible for the attack on Police Plaza One and I don't care. The cops deserved whatever you did to them. Now excuse me I have work to take care of, there is a waiting room down the hall and to the left. My staff will tell you if there is any change in your friends’ conditions.” He announced before his body dissolved into a wave of photons as the hologram projector shut down.

“That guy is a snake.” Spectre whispered as she and Overrider started towards the waiting room with Brass following obediently behind them. “I don't trust him.”

“Nobody does but he is a professional, never holds grudges and has a lot of assets that he shares with the criminal underworld.” Overrider answered. “And right now he’s the ones whose medical staffs are going to save Jeff and that means I can’t afford to complain about it. Today could have been a good day all things considered if Impala hadn’t died.” He added as he spotted a familiar figure dressed in torn jeans and a Dazzler concert shirt walk past. “Hey JP!” He called causing the busker to turn around and spot him.

“Richard right?” JP asked. “What can I do for you brother?”

“Uh nothing right now.” Overrider answered before waving a hand at Spectre, “This is Jaime.”

“Been dead long?” Spectre asked as her eyes seemed to bore into the man’s skull causing Overrider to shoot an accusing glance at her.

“Excuse us.” Overrider hissed before grabbing Spectre by the shoulder and dragging her through an open door into a storage closet. “That guy is my friend, why the cold shoulder?”

No Caption Provided

“He’s not your friend.” Spectre answered. “His spirit managed to evade the forces that usher such things into the underworld allowing him to be brought back. He has one thing on his mind and that’s vengeance. I don't know his target but he seriously hates whoever they are.” She added as she phased her arm through Overrider’s grasp and accidentally knocked over a rack of uniforms.

“Doesn't everyone want revenge in this business?” Overrider joked before the sound of crashing steel sounded from outside. Pushing the door open the pair of villains saw Brass standing over JP ready to crush the man who cowered before the towering machine. “Whoa girl!!” Overrider cooed before tapping the machine on the arm. “What’s come over you?”

“It…it just attacked me.” JP stammered before scuttling away. “Keep that thing away from me!” He yelled before ducking out of sight into one of the observation rooms. Spectre raised an eyebrow causing Overrider to shake his head. “Not one word.”

“Wouldn't dream of it darling.” Spectre chirped back as they headed into the deserted waiting room. “There is something we must discuss; when I reached 8-Ball there was a smell, one of dark magic. At first I thought maybe it was due to the cell having recently held a sorcerer or low level demon but the scent continued to be noticeable when we left and only departed when the orderlies took Jeff to observation.”

“Jeff, 8-Ball isn't a magician, hell he’s not even a pinball wizard.” Overrider told her. “We discussed finding a magician after we went independent but the three of us, me, Jeff and Rachel, decided after the incident with the Hooded Haunt to leave that stuff well alone.”

“Hooded Haunt? Why did you get into business with her?” Spectre gasped. “She has a reputation in the underworld, the actual underworld, as being a deadly mystic and a corrupted avatar of the goddess Nephthys. Please tell me that your dealings with her ended favourably for her.” Overrider shook her head and Spectre rested her head in her hands. “You fools, she is the most vengeful goddesses this world has ever known. I am certain that she is the one who took Diamondback but for what purpose I don't know.”

“How do we find her if she was taken by the Haunt?” Overrider asked as he removed his helmet to reveal a pale haggard face, tired eyes kept open by worry and paranoia.

“We would need a mystic to scry for her. While I can detect magic I can't perform it and most of those able to complete the task wouldn't dare go up against the Hooded Haunt.” Spectre explained.

“Could a computer find her, one with connections to all the satellites and cameras on the planet?” Overrider asked.

“If exposed to enough mystical energy then it may just be able to make the connection.” Spectre answered as Overrider’s phone went off, the ring tone Mr. Roboto flooding the waiting room with mechanical sounds. “You know of such a computer don’t you?”

“Go find Spymaster, tell him I'm going to do a job for him. In return for helping 8-Ball I am going to bring him a high tier second hand Doombot.” Overrider ordered. “Huh Carla was trying to call me. I’m going to take this and then I'll be back.” He told her as Spectre slipped out the room and followed the signs marked with ‘no admittance’ until she found an office marked ‘Director of Medicine’ and slipped inside.

No Caption Provided

The room was Spartan with few furnishings and no luxuries save for the trio of laptops on the desk. It was clear that Spymaster liked to keep things simple and that he wasn't here but once again Spectre picked up the scent of something evil lurking in the shadows. Stalking up to the computers she tapped the power button on each one before looking at the screens. The first showed blueprints submitted by a ‘Quentin Beck’ for a robotic insect warrior dubbed Mosquitor, the second a list of criminal records and the third footage from a theatre dated back a few months, the only figure in the recording a dead man dressed like a court jester strapped to a chair.

“Wonder what you’re up to?” Spectre whispered before turning to a closet and sticking her head through the door. “Uniforms, police and emergency service uniforms. Hmm NYPD blue with a badge that reads…P. Oca?” She retracted her head and took a deep breath, the scent of foul magic getting stronger. “P. Oca that’s…A cop, Jeff figured it out there and then.” Turning she saw the shadows swirl by the door before forming into a female figure holding a scythe.

“Well Nancy Drew.” A horse rasping voice hissed as the blade of the scythe glowed red. “Look at you finding clues and stuff.”

“You shame Nephtys with your actions.” Spectre hissed. “But your sorcery holds no fear for me.”

“Oh don’t worry.” The Hooded Haunt purred as her eyes glowed crimson under her cowl. “I have other ways to silence you.”

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: Spymaster working with the Hooded Haunt! This can't be good. Only one minor query; Overrider says tell Spymaster he's going to get him a Doombot...bit presumptious. Maybe he doesn't want a Doombot? Usually jobs work the other way round.

Overrider: Here you go, one Doombot. We're all square.

Spymaster: Umm, yeah, about that...I have three.

Overrider: Now you have four!

Spymaster: Yeah...that's...great! I'm hate doing this, but I'm gonna need, well cash.

Overrider: You could sell the Doombot I got you

Spymaster: I CAN'T SELL THE THREE I'VE ALREADY GOT!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Does it matter. Thanks for the comment. Plus who could you say no to having a Doombot

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@batkevin74: Does it matter. Thanks for the comment. Plus who could you say no to having a Doombot

I totally want a Doombot. And maybe word of the street was he was in the market for one, but no one wanted to take the offer.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Yep My Robot (Brass) vs. all those AI. Man my odds seem to suck.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By YoungJustice

For some reason, whenever I read Spectre's lines i imagine it in Angela Basset's AHS:Coven voice, lol.

Great chapter.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youngjustice: God I hope not. Spectre is from Arizona. Thanks for reading.