Posted by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio

"What we got for dinner Toots?" Howard asked, his stomach grumbled audibly. In all the excitement of the day he had forgotten to pick up some take-out food.

"Um.... That chili hasn't been in the fridge very long." She replied. She'd had a long day herself, and wasn't looking forward to cooking anything fancy.

"Chili makes me gassy, and gives me indigestion." Old Howard said loudly. Howard and Beverly both jumped in surprise. Had been asleep a moment ago.

"Sorry. We're all out of cream of wheat and heart pills, old timer." Howard replied sarcastically. Whack! "Ouch! Stop doing that."

"Stop saying stupid things. My arm is getting tired." Old Howard replied. Tension rose, and the apartment felt even smaller then before as the two ducks glared at each other.

"Maybe we should go out." Beverly quickly suggested. "Try out that place, Ma & Pa's Pancake Plaza? Down on 7th--"

"Great place." Old Howard interrupted. "You should see it in thirty years." He nodded, more to himself then to Howard or Beverly. "That was the last place...." He trailed off with a sigh. "Never mind." He snapped, abruptly cranky again. Are we going or are we sitting here all night?" Beverly cast a look at Howard, who just shrugged back.

Ma and Pa's Pancake Plaza had been open for a few years. It had started off slow, but quickly gained popularity. Despite being one of the more popular restaurants around, Ma refused to let it become an exclusive place.

As such the big breakfast had remained the same price of $9.99 since Ma and Pa's first opened. The only change time had brought on was a 3% mutant tax that was donated to a mutant children's school.

The place was moderately busy, but Beverly and the Howards found an open corner table away from the door, but not too close to the kitchen.

Howard and Beverly barely picked up their menus when Old Howard called the waitress over. She had red hair that hung loose, and wore a pin on her shirt that said 'Have a nice day.' She did not look like she was having a nice day though. Her name tag read 'Clarissa'.

"Welcome to Ma and Pa's Pancake Plaza. Would you like tonight's special or are you ready to order?" The she asked in a bored tone. She was probably just waiting for her shift to be over already. She didn't bat an eye at Howard's appearance, or the nearly identical, albeit older, duck seated across from him. She was probably half asleep on her feet.

"Pancakes, short stack. three eggs, scrambled. And a glass of cranberry juice." He grunted.

"Same for us, except coffee instead of juice." Beverly glanced at Howard who nodded. "Egg whites only for me please." The waitress nodded in an abstract way and walked off to deliver their order. "So! Do we come back here a lot in the future?" Beverly asked, just to break up the silence.

"We came here a lot." He replied distractedly as he starred off at nothing. Beverly and Howard waited on him to say more, but he had fallen quiet again. The place had changed so little in in thirty years. Or would change so little, rather.

The door to Howard and Beverly's apartment exploded inward with a crash. Future Dr Bong walked over the splintered, broken door into the apartment. Future Dr Bong quickly stepped into the bedroom, but knew what he would find. The duck was not where he was supposed to be.

Somehow the timeline had changed again. If he had thought ahead, he could have waited here for the duck to return. But he had made too much noise. Too many people had heard his entrance. One of them could even now be calling the authorities. And complications were to be kept to a minimal. He decided to go out the window, and down the fire escape.

#1 Posted by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by dboyrules2011 (11988 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#3 Posted by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by dboyrules2011 (11988 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Your welcome! I enjoyed reading it.

#5 Edited by Pyrogram (35074 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I've not read the other ones (two?) It was still written enjoyably well. Sweet job.

Particularly liked the idea of it not being an exclusive place to eat, that was described well.

#6 Posted by batkevin74 (10411 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by cbishop (7080 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@cbishop and @bumpyboo You guys wanted call outs, yes?

Yes! And thank you! But please, please, please, please edit. :) It's still reading great!

"Stop saying stupid things. My arm is getting tired." <---Great line. :)

#8 Posted by ImpurestCheese (4630 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Great extension to the tale of Marvel's biggest duck. Looks like Howard's biggest enemy is going to be that chilli in the fridge when it gets up and slithers away, then old Howard and finally Dr. Bong. His foes are closing in and they look merciless.

#9 Posted by TommytheHitman (2855 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! Mutant tax!

#10 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3875 posts) - - Show Bio

Great chapter

#11 Posted by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop:

Um, okay. I'll look it over.

@wildvine: Great extension to the tale of Marvel's biggest duck. Looks like Howard's biggest enemy is going to be that chilli in the fridge when it gets up and slithers away, then old Howard and finally Dr. Bong. His foes are closing in and they look merciless.

I forgot to mention her name. Will edit now.

#12 Posted by ImpurestCheese (4630 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by cbishop (7080 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@cbishop:

Um, okay. I'll look it over.

lol, sorry I wasn't more specific. It was late for me, and I have confidence in your self-editing ability. I figured you'd see the small problems when you re-read it. ;)

#14 Posted by BumpyBoo (7646 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the call out! Really enjoying this story, it is probably one of my favourites of yours :D

Also, this chapter made me so hungry O____O

#15 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

Great chapter!!! I loved the mutant tax bit. Maybe Howard might meet up with the X-Men?

#16 Edited by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio

Great chapter!!! I loved the mutant tax bit. Maybe Howard might meet up with the X-Men?

That's up to you. ^_^

#17 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine said:

@rabbitearsblog said:

That's up to you. ^_^

Thanks! :D I guess we'll see once I get my stories up and running.

#18 Posted by ImpurestCheese (4630 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by wildvine (8320 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by ImpurestCheese (4630 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by 4donkeyjohnson (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine:

@wildvine said:

As such the big breakfast had remained the same price of $9.99 since Ma and Pa's first opened. The only change time had brought on was a 3% mutant tax that was donated to a mutant children's school

Is this cheap or expensive? Being from another country it seems cheap

ANother good Howard chapter :)

#24 Edited by batkevin74 (10411 posts) - - Show Bio

Duck bump