Marvel Mayhem: Deadly Foes of Spiderman #4 (of 4)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Marvel Mayhem: Deadly Foes of Spiderman #4 (of 4)

All Characters are Owned by Marvel Comics

For Marvel Mayhem visit the Library or visit the Group’s Facebook Page

For the Previous Issue Follow the Link to Part 3

Peter sat in the darkened room; blinds closed as he held Aunt May’s body close to him while weeping silently in the corner. He had failed to keep one of the most important people to him safe but worse then that it had ultimately been him who had killed him. Yet for all his self grief the more he thought about May's death the more he felt like he shouldn't pay for her death alone. Jessica Carradine AKA Death Stalker had been standing in the same room, had piled on the pressure, in his eyes she was just as guilty as he was, and while his brain screamed for vengeance him heart told him never to let May go ever again. Nothing moved or even made a sound in the house save for a delicate ‘ping’ of an IM on the computer as the message popped up on screen. Barley glancing at the message Peter refused to let May go even as he read the text. ‘Guardian@stark.net wants to talk; Subject- Spider-Man = Peter Parker’

Moving away from the computer Peter sat back down before mumbling, “Not interested.” Seconds later there was another ping and a new message reading; ‘Guardian@stark.net wants to talk; Subject – Chameleon Sighting’. Cautiously and with a certain level of curiosity Peter pressed ‘Accept’ and read the message, looked at the security footage and ‘Guardians’ Comments before hearing a ping as a new IM opened with the message. ‘It’s time to chose. You have no reason to believe me, or anyone not with what just happened but things are about to get worse. The Chameleon had ordered the siege crew at the Daily Bugle to start killing hostages.

“Why should I care?” Peter typed. “And how do you know about what happened today?”

No Caption Provided

‘You shouldn’t but I do know what you are going through. My family was killed in a super villain attack when I was fourteen. After that I swapped my real life with an almost entirely digital one. Later I accidentally hacked into the account of the Bookie and realised how I could get revenge. From then on I wormed into every account I could, selling the information to people who would use it well. You can probably guess that I have access to the Chameleon and most of his online profiles.’

“I don’t want anything to do with you ‘Guardian’.” Peter typed before looking at the images; my business is with the Chameleon. And I mean it, I have been too soft on my foes, none of them have really got the hint to give up and leave me alone. Even the ones that reform like the Beetle, Puma or Sandman still stick around and cause problems for me. Tonight though I show them that they have a choice; retire or end up like the Chameleon. He thought as he lay Aunt May on the sofa and opened the window. I’m sorry Aunt May, I couldn’t save you, and more to the point I ‘killed’ you. When I return I’ll find you someplace quiet to rest. I just hope you and Uncle Ben aren’t going to watch what I do next. He added as he swung up into the early afternoon sky, heading south towards Brooklyn. But as he headed away from Manhattan a weight grew on his shoulders until a familiar image flashed before his eyes.

“Spider-Man is a menace!” The red faced figure of J. Jonah Jameson stated as Spider-Man swung above an almost deserted street. “He let criminals kill my staff.”

‘Well that was weird.’ Peter mused as he swung left towards the Hudson River. ‘Not to mention disturbing.’ He added as the gaunt broken figure of Gwen Stacy fell towards him.

“You let him take me Peter.” Gwen sobbed. “You let him kill me.”

‘Gwen I’m sorry I…he…he was too strong.’ Peter gasped as he spied a surrendering figure in green impaled on a wall by his own glider. “Why Peter.” Norman Osborne cackled blood running down the apparitions face. “You really are about to become the son I wanted.”

‘I am nothing like you Osborne.’ Peter hissed as he caught sight of the warehouse complex ‘Guardian’ had indicated the Chameleon was renting. ‘And last I checked you were in a coma not dead.’

“These are not ghosts Peter,” A familiar kind voice stated causing Peter to stop and land on a telegraph pole, “They are figments of your guilt.” The reassuring voice of Uncle Ben stated as he drifted toward Peter.

“But Uncle Ben I killed Aunt May, I’m responsible for so much death and disaster including yours and the man who caused all this to happen.” Peter stated. “And I won’t feel any guilt when I have my hands around the Chameleon’s neck.”

“Peter I can’t stop you but would killing this man be right, just? Would it bring back May or any of the others. And what would you’re friends say if they knew you were a murderer?”

“I already am.”

“No you’re not. You can’t change fate, things will always go wrong but you can’t let them weigh you down. It’s good that you take responsibility for them but you shouldn’t burden yourself with so much guilt.” Uncle Ben stated. “I wish I could help you more. I just know that if you kill this man the guilt you’ll feel will be tenfold.” He stated before disappearing. Shaking his head Peter looked towards the area where the Chameleon had been sighted before turning back towards Manhattan. Thanks Uncle Ben. And now to end this, end everything, one last act as Spider-Man and then I’m done. He told himself as he swung back towards the heart of the Big Apple.

No Caption Provided

Menace hovered over the crowd of Daily Bugle employees, a wall of pure energy provided by the Eel keeping the exits covered. With a grim smile and a nod she rotated the glider before looking at the group of thugs the Chameleon had provided her. “Good news boys the boss says we get to have some fun after all.”

“What about Spider-Man?” Bloodshed asked as he grabbed the cowering form of Phil Urich by the neck and got ready to slash the man’s throat.

“Not coming.” Menace hissed. “Nobody is coming for these soon to be corpses.” She cackled as Steeplejack and Eel shot each other astonished looks. Only Death Grin seemed to be unaffected by the news but then no emotion ever seemed to show on his face.

“Well ain’t this grand.” Bloodshed told Phil as the photographer tracked something swinging past the window. “What are you looking at?!” He bellowed before seeing Spider-Man swing through the energy barrier and straight into him, electricity running up and down his armoured suit.

“Sp…Spider-Man?!” The Eel spluttered. “You said he wasn’t coming?” He added, electricity sparking off of his body as he pointed an accusing finger at Menace.

“He wasn’t meant to be. The boss said he had this covered!” She hissed before unleashing a swarm of razor tipped projectiles, the wall crawler evading every single one of them. “What no joke bug?!”

Menace's Idiots (From Left to Right) The Eel, Death Grin, Bloodshed, Steeplejack

“Not today!” Peter growled as Bloodshed tried to get to his feet only to be floored by a violent kick. “This is the point when you tell your idiots to get me.” He added sarcastically as the villains focused on him giving the assorted staff time to escape wither into Jameson’s office or to one of the lower floors.

“GET HIM!!!” Menace screeched with Steeplejack and Death Grin charging at him only for their target to flip out the way leaving them to collide into each other, the formers armour burning at his team-mates touch. “IDIOTS!!” Menace roared. “EEL fry him NOW!”

“Hey lady stop barking orders.” The Eel buzzed. “If you don’t I’ll have to ‘charge’ you.” He added throwing a wave of lightning at Spider-Man, the energy discharge missing by mere inches as Spider-Man ducked under a blow from Death Grin, the electricity buzzing up the monstrosity’s body with little effect. “What no witty comeback, that was a classic.” The Eel hissed as he leapt over a desk and slammed a sparking punch into Spider-Man only to be met with a chair, his fist melting the plastic. “We sure this is Spider-Man and not one of the other creeps who dresses like him.”

“I don’t care!!” Menace hissed as she extended the blades on her glider. “Steeplejack the bombs are ready; level this place. The rest of you kick his head in NOW!!” She screeched before receiving a web blast to the face, the synthetic silk gagging her, if just for a few moments.

“Thank God.” Steeplejack sighed as he removed a detonator from his belt. “Got to say this seems familiar Spider-Man. Let’s see if you’ve…hey!” He yelled as Spider-Man shot a web line out and ripped the trigger from his hands. “You can’t do that?” He moaned as Menace gunned her glider forward only for her target to leap out the way, the blades embedding in the floor and throwing her out the window and onto the pavement below.

“Your ‘whatever she was’ is probably unconscious on the sidewalk.” Peter stated coldly. “At least she probably is I can’t remember how durable she is. Now the question I have to ask is are you going to surrender.”

“Surrender? Surrender!” Steeplejack said before looking at the Eel and Death Grin, there are still three of us and only one of you. This is a cake walk.” He snorted as Death Grin snuck up behind Spider-Man and aimed a punch at his back, the blow leaving a burning welt on the wall-crawler’s back. “Besides there’s that rhyme; whoever knows loss burns at Death Grin’s touch.” He added as Death Grin held his prey in place as his partners got ready to fire.

“You’re thinking of something else.” Spider-Man corrected them as they fired at the same moment he flipped up onto Death Grin’s shoulders, the electrical charge and acetylene blast ripping huge holes in his chest. “And now for the unmasking.” Spider-Man grunted before ripping the mask off the villain’s face and throwing it away, the monstrous form of Death Grin shrinking down to a normal guy.

“We can still take him right?” The Eel asked Steeplejack only to see his team-mate had fled leaving him alone with Spider-Man. “O…okay I surrender.” He wheezed. “Just please don’t hurt me I…I don’t want to die.”

“Nobody else dies today.” Spider-Man growled. “Nobody apart from me.” He added before turning to the crowd of reporters. “Here’s a story for you; Spider-Man quits!” He told them before webbing Bloodshed to the floor and the Eel to the wall. Walking to the window he looked out over the city before disappearing into the Urban Jungle’s heart. As he shrunk into a dot among the skyscrapers the sound of grumbling could be heard and Jameson stormed up the stairs. “Damm elevators are out and some loon almost knocked me over! Now somebody get me in this order; a coffee, a story I can use and my blood pressure pills. I leave the office for one day and it looks like a bomb has hit it! You’re all hired just so I can fire you hooligans. Now clean up this mess and tell me some good news.” You ‘Phineaus’,” He bellowed pointing at Phil Urich, “tell me something good!”

“Well Sir.” Phil stuttered as he pocketed the dropped mask belonging to Death Grin. “Spider-Man Quit.”

“Quit?! Brilliant, Here’s the title; Bugle is Proven Right, Spider-Man revealed to be Menace.” Jameson stated. “Now all of you out of my office now we have an evening addition to write.”

The Chameleon fidgeted nervously as he and Death Stalker stood before the desk, the room lit only by a rotating green light that did nothing to illuminate the man reading the evening copy of the Daily Bugle.

No Caption Provided

“Congratulations Ladies and Gentlemen.” The man hissed in a low vicious voice. “You have just killed Spider-Man. You see to kill such a man you barley lay a finger on him you find out who he is, what cares about and how to destroy it and you destroy him.”

“But he is alive, Peter Parker is alive!” Death Stalker hissed. “Who are you anyway?” The man at the desk smiled as he put the newspaper down to revel the figure of Steeplejack recling in the chair.

“The award for best portrayal of a dead man goes to…” Steeplejack stated as he unmasked himself to reveal a gaunt green skinned face complete with bulging yellow eyes. “And as Guardian I can keep him dead.” He cackled as the light faded leaving the only an unearthly glow reflecting off of the Green Goblin’s mask. “Here endeth the lesson.”

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@impurestcheese

I stand corrected. You did wrap it up in one issue. And you killed Aunt May to boot. Not gonna lie, not really gonna miss her.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Nope. I actually miss Uncle Ben more then I would miss her. And for those wanting to know the clue last issue that Steeplejack was someone else was that Cherry Five changed their name to 'the Goblin Returns'. Thanks for the comment. Makes me want to do another mini further down the line damm you Norman.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Well that was fun, I'm glad I saved it now on to the mini analysis xD

For the record this will be one of the miniseries as a whole....

What I Liked: Spider-Man detecting, this is something even comic writers don't get right. While this Spider-Man isn't doing forensic scans or anything one thing I love is when Spider-Man needs to crack a case instead of just showing up without explanation and making a few jokes before beating the bad guy.

Spider-Man's responsibility, one of the main reasons I struggle to read Dan Slotts current Spider-Man was even before Spider Ock he never really thought of his responsibility and consequences, in this we get that.

Spider-Man isn't Deadpool, since I'm the writer of Deadpool I was always going to be your harshest critic on this one but I think you got it right in both humour and character. Lastly, you breathed life into old characters and while I had no clue who they were you managed to make them interesting, side note Deadshot is one of my favourite DC characters so it was really weird seeing Marvel Deadshot xD

What I didn't like: Spelling errors and grammar, batkev is the king of this so I won't go into too much specifics but the opening paragraph in chapter 4 has a lot of spelling errors and a reoccurring misspelling is barely.

Plot hole, now I might have just read it wrong BUT Peter and Chameleons game is flawed. If Chameleon and Jessica's goal was for Peter not to return for time to run out without revealing why they were doing what they were doing why didn't they just kill Aunt may straight away?

Overall: Great story, great characters and more Spider-Man would be amazing and spectacular

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishlad: The goal was to make him watch, to see if they could push him over the edge. Thanks for the comments and I'll deal with that opening paragraph later.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Damn girl you stay busy. Lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: It's called being forced to take annual leave before the new financial year. Lots of Free Time + Nasty Cold + Bad Weather = Staying in and Writing

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ah Peter. People love putting him through hell and back. It's okay. I do it as well.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: Aunt May had to go. Both Wildvine and Batkevin agree with me. :-)

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Does anyone actually care about Aunt May? I mean I know people love Johnathan and Martha Kent from Superman...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: And Uncle Ben. But May should have been killed off years ago.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Nobody cares about them... in real life I mean of course. No fans care about them. Not after One More Day.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Plus May is like 90. Considering the 'acquaintances' her nephew has she should have died long ago,

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You used old-school-frail as a snowflake-Aunt May from the 60's. No wonder you wanted her dead. Lol

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@guardiandevil83: Her death has served a higher purpose...if you're the Green Goblin or an opportunistic fan-fic writer looking to play Angel of Death

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

Poor Aunt May...on a lighter note, the plot and story was orchestrated well.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: If Black Talon brings her back as a zombie I'm gonna be p!$$ed! :)

Spider-Man may be "dead" but Norman Osbourne is well and truly alive and kicking and dressing up as a dead guy!

Tend to agree with Irish's "Plot hole, now I might have just read it wrong BUT Peter and Chameleons game is flawed. If Chameleon and Jessica's goal was for Peter not to return for time to run out without revealing why they were doing what they were doing why didn't they just kill Aunt may straight away?" Could've blown her head off in chapter one! :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: No return for Aunt May even the Hooded Haunt wouldn't be that cruel. Yep Norman is back possibly??

This plot hole - let me explain, Chameleon could have killed her right there but his plan was to give Peter false hope, bring him into 'the centre of the web' and make him watch Aunt May die. May ruined it (sort of) by having a heart attack rather then being executed.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Bump