Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Marvel Mayhem - Avengers #6: Ascent into Hell

All Characters are owned by Marvel Comics

For Marvel Mayhem visit the Library or visit the Group’s Facebook Page

Despite the Avengers best efforts and some much needed aid from the newest member Horous; the Hood and his minions were able to summon the Demon Prince Blackheart to Earth. Things went a little better in the future where Yellowjacket and Lady M managed to cure Prometheus/Overrider of his Emplate Infection. Despite this the rest of the Frightful Five remains at large as they attempt to stop the raising of old enemy the Grim Reaper.

25th June 2023 - Avenger’s Cemetery, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Black Widow lunged aggressively forward with the stolen saber, her thrust stabbing through the last of the confederate zombies leaving the chamber deserted save for her and the mediating form of Omen. Taking a deep breath she walked over to the necromancer and tapped her on the shoulder, the emaciated woman ignoring her and everything that had happened since Poseidon had been vanquished. “Time to talk.” Natasha growled from behind the bronze mask she wore. “Stop the spell and tell me what you did to Poseidon.”

No Caption Provided

“You might want to stop the PTA.” A voice came from the doorway followed by a whoosh as a diamond edged throwing knife cut through the Widow’s costume and into the small of her back. “You still have us to deal with.” Groaning and grunting Natasha turned to see Diamondback and 8-Ball flanking the Dreadknight as he stormed towards her, the ebony blade already drawn and ready for battle. Turning Natasha met the villain with her own saber only to see the weapon shatter on contact with the knight’s blade. Not waiting for a follow up attack Natasha took to the offensive by slamming her boot into the Dreadknight’s face-plate before springing off into a punch aimed at 8-Ball’s face only for Diamondback to intercept, the villainess blasting her at close range with an arm mounted sonic blaster.

“End of the line Avenger.” 8-Ball sneered as he smacked Widow round the back of the head with his cue. “This would have been more simple if you had just stayed away. A shame really since our boss wanted you around to witness his plan.”

“And who would that be?” Black Widow grunted as the Dreadknight hefted his sword into a position ready for a decapitating strike.

“Not going to tell you.” 8-Ball stated, “We’re professionals love, we don’t give up information to corpses.”

“A pity.” Black Widow sighed as she activated her ‘Widow Sting’ apparatus hidden in her suit. “I was so hoping to do this the easy way.” She added as she elbowed Diamondback in the face, electricity arching across the villainess. Before any of the ‘Frightful Five’ could react their former captive was already moving towards Omen.

No Caption Provided

“Get her!” Diamondback screeched through gritted teeth as the Dreadknight reached for his lance. Shaking his head 8-Ball removed a pool ball, his hands glowing red, before throwing the projectile at the Widow, the outer casing shattering into hundreds of ball-bearings that caused Natasha to stagger just long enough for the Dreadknight to fire a hot sticky stream of adhesive from his lance that glued the Avenger to where she stood.

“The rite is complete.” Omen croaked as she got to her feet before reaching out for her scythe. “My thanks brother.” She added as water dripped from the walls before coalescing into Poseidon. “And now for the final phase, Dreadknight I believe this is your forte.” She added as the mausoleum doors flew open and the rest of the Avengers piled in with Lady M clutching Overrider by the scruff of his neck.

“Overrider!” 8-Ball and Diamondback yelled together, “What did you do to him?”

“He’s fine which is more then I can say for you.” Yellowjacket told them. “Now surrender, the Grim Reaper isn't coming back on our watch.”

“You are deluded my friends.” Poseidon stated. “I analyzed Omen’s curses and hexes, they were to enchant a blade to finally end the Reaper’s life and remove the immortality the accursed fiend enjoys.” He added as he followed Omen and the Dreadknight to the coffin marked with a skull and crossbones. With a snort Dreadknight pushed off the lid and looked inside before turning to Omen and sheathing his sword. “The tomb is empty?” He stated blankly, there is no body inside.

“What?” Omen hissed before bending over and looking inside before convulsing as Poseidon summoned his trident and sent a blast of lightning into her exposed back. Turning to the others he watched as 8-Ball and Diamondback looked at one another before surrendering.

No Caption Provided

“Thank you my friend.” Poseidon said as he turned to look at the Dreadknight, the man removing his mask and dropping the lance on the floor. “Your father Dane spoke true of your skills, now may I ask you where the body of the Grim Reaper has been moved to.”

“My father and I buried it in the grounds of our ancestral home to be guarded by the enchanted armor of Nathan Garrett.” The Dreadknight stated, “The Widow’s plan worked, we managed to stop the ‘Frightful Five’ from reclaiming the body but I’m afraid I was unable to discover who hired them.”

“Maybe one of them will talk when we lock them away.” Iron Man suggested “Okay looks like Overrider and Diamondback are scheduled for incarceration in the Raft; 8-Ball is being taken to the Living Fortress while the Hooded Haunt will be deported back to Duat.” She added as golden light swam over the four criminals before they disappeared into a haze of fog. “Add in that the real Dreadknight is being held at Rykers Island and we caught the entire set.”

“That leaves one problem.” Black Widow stated as she led the Avengers out of the Mausoleum. “Who was behind this attack and why did they want the Grim Reaper?”

22nd March 2013 - Copps Cemetery, Boston

“Okay anyone want to tell me what’s going on here?” Constrictor asked as he backed away from The Hood and Warrior Woman as they gathered on the edge of the pit. “I agreed to help you Widow but you didn't mention anything like this.”

“Wait Constrictor is working for SHIELD?” Iron Man asked as Madame Masque removed her face-plate, her hair morphing from ebony locks to chestnut red. Next you’ll be telling me that it’s actually the Hulk inside Mauler’s armor.”

No Caption Provided

“Not this time.” Black Widow announced as Warrior Woman turned to face the gathered Avengers. “I helped the Constrictor investigate an art fraud case a month or two ago. He agreed to pay back the favor whenever I needed him to.”

“Art Fraud Case?” Yellowjacket asked as the Mauler twitched before getting to his feet, the motors in his armor wining as they came back online.

“Yeah the Painter was trafficking women from Mandipoor to the States inside art pieces.” Constrictor answered, “My client hired me to look into what he thought was simple fraud but ended up being a lot bigger. Black Widow was working on the trafficking end and we met up in the middle.”

“As fascinating as this is.” Stingray croaked, “We still have a demon prince to stop. I suppose Doctor Strange coming to the rescue is out of the question? How about Jennifer Kale, Brother Voodoo, hell I’d take the Enchantress’s help right about now.”

“Don’t say that it’s just going to tempt fate.” Iron Man answered snidely. “Horous you are filled to the brim with magic go stop him while we keep Blackheart’s entourage busy.”

No Caption Provided

“We need not fight Blackheart.” Horous stated calmly. “All I would need to do is use the Axe of Vengeance to bind the demon to this pit. He would eventually free himself if he had emerged under his own power yet it is the hooded necromancer who brought him forth. His removal from the area should send this spawn of Mephisto back to his own dark dimension.” As he finished there was a flash of light and a cackling laugh as the Living Laser dive-bombed the group before bouncing around Horous until he resembled a luminous tornado before veering off, the Axe of Vengeance in his hand.

“Too bad your tools are sadly lacking.” The Living Laser cackled before throwing the axe to Warrior Woman. “I’d hurry it up Robbins before the Captain America and his Avenger B-Team comes charging in.”

“You don’t command me Laser.” The Hood hissed. “Right now Blackheart feeds on the demons that followed him so that his power is magnified when his ascension finishes. It his agenda we follow not yours.” He yelled as the Avengers charged forward only for the earth to rumble and the Absorbing Man to emerge, a stone clad giant in the path of the assorted heroes.

“Let’s try that again.” The Absorbing Man boomed as he reached down and grabbed Horous in a massive stone hand. “You know what the kindest way to kill a bird is?” He asked. “You snap its neck. Wonder if that works for god birds as well?”

“You assume I’m defenseless.” Horous laughed as massive wings constructed from solar energy, the discharge burning through the Absorbing Man’s hand before the villain trans-mutated into a figure made of light.

“Big mistake know let me show you why I’m called the Absorbing Man.” The villain grunted before letting out a blast of solar energy that burnt a five meter swathe of destruction through the graveyard. Turning he locked onto Falcon before opening fire on him and the pursuing Living Laser just as the Avenger banked left, the energy blast striking the Laser. With a hiss the Living Laser was drawn back along the energy beam before ‘absorbed’ by Crusher Creel, the villain shrinking back down to his normal size and skin tone. “Wha...?” He grunted, “Where did my powers go?”

“This is for that bird crack.” Falcon screamed as he fired a wave of energy darts at the Absorbing Man, the projectiles causing fissures of light to form across his body before exploding outwards before dissipating as the Living Laser re-emerged before sparking out and collapsing on the ground next to a pile of debris topped by Creel’s head.

No Caption Provided

“Stop them!” The Hood snarled as he turned and threw a volley at fireballs at Captain America. “Do what I paid you to do!” He screamed as Blackheart looked up at the carnage above and started scaling the edge of the pit.

“My pleasure.” Warrior Woman hissed before swinging the Axe of Vengeance at Captain, a crescent of solar energy sending the super soldier sprawling as she advanced on him. “This is for my darling Master Man.” She snarled as cybernetic coils crept up her body and restrained her arm. “You, you turncoat may the devil take you.” She spat as she caught site of Constrictor and flung him backwards into the pit. “As for you Captain…what where did?” She spluttered as she realized the Axe of Vengeance was missing.

”Looking for something?” Yellowjacket asked as she flew towards Horous before enlarging to her normal size, the Axe of Vengeance in her hand. With a snarl Warrior Woman surged forwards using Captain America as a springboard to clear the distance towards Yellowjacket, the Avenger increasing in size just as the villain reached her, the impact causing her to stumble backwards. “Now let me ‘axe’ you something?” Yellowjacket joked as she slammed the blade down next to Warrior Woman, “Why work for the Hood.”

“Play Twenty Question later.” Constrictor yelled as Blackheart turned to face him before spitting a ball of burning flame at the villain causing him to slip down to the bottom of the pit. “Diablo Junior is almost half way up the wall.”

“Stingray, Widow stall him.” Iron Man ordered as he fired his Uni-Beam at the Mauler only for the villain to emerge from the beam unscathed and already firing the 30mm canons mounted on his arms, radioactive slugs stabbing into Tony’s armor. “Everyone else get the Hood away from the pit.”

“To Hell then.” Stingray sighed as he and Black Widow dashed past Whirlwind as he got to his feet, the pair of them leaping into the pit. “Okay so stalling the Hell Spawn.” He stated as he and Black Widow landed next to Constrictor. “Any ideas?”

“Just one.” Black Widow answered as he emptied her magazine at the pit wall, the bullets dislodging a tide of dirt down onto Blackheart as he continued his climb upwards. “Knock him off that wall.”

No Caption Provided

“One designer rock-slide coming up Ma’am.” Stingray answered as he soared past Blackheart and slammed fist first into the pit wall, chunks of rock colliding with the demon prince and causing him to slide back.

“One way trip buddy.” Constrictor hissed as his coils wrapped round Blackheart’s legs and started to drag him down even as fire began to run down the tendrils back towards his arms. “Hey how’s it going up there?” He yelled.

“Fine thanks for asking.” Iron Man spat back as the Mauler smacked him round the face before stabbing his fingers into the armors reinforced eye sockets. “Any luck in getting the Hood out of here Cap?” He asked as Whirlwind pushed the Mauler aside and span his saw blades up to speed before sinking them into the Avenger’s chest mounted arc reactor.

“No luck.” Captain America yelled back as pistol shots ricocheted off his shield followed up by a blast of lightning. “How’s it going in the pit?”

”We’re holding him for now.” Black Widow called up as Constrictor recoiled, his hands on fire. “Blackheart won’t leave this pit.” She added as she tackled the demon prince, the force sending them falling to the pit floor. Recovering first Blackheart slammed his hand into Black Widow’s chest and ripped out her heart, her body burning into cinders.

“Such a tainted soul.” Blackheart hissed, “The infection of her past made her actions to redeem herself folly. And I smell the taint of ill deeds on every one of you.” He hissed as he lept up onto the wall before climbing back to the surface.

“My god the Widow is dead.” Stingray gasped as he flew into Blackheart only for a spear of rock to spring up and send him tumbling. “He killed her.”

No Caption Provided

“That can’t be possible.” Iron Man spluttered.

“Why not?” Whirlwind asked as his blades cut through the outer layer of the arc-reactor node. “Your next. After this nobody will ever doubt my mad skills again.”

“Shut up Whirlwind this doesn't concern windbags like you.” Iron Man yelled before firing a close up repulsor beam to the villain’s face. “We need to stop the Hood now. Horous close the pit.”

“But the others Tony?” Captain America gasped as Warrior Woman got back to her feet and advanced behind him.

“Just do it!” Tony yelled as he blasted Warrior Woman with a repulsor blast just as the Mauler locked onto him.

“We don’t lose anyone else today.” Steve yelled back as he threw his shield and severed the Mauler’s power pack. “Not one more.”

“You have no choice.” The Hood hissed as he bent down and hoisted Blackheart out of the pit before throwing his cape and boots away. “It is done.” He added as he plunged a concealed athame into Blackheart’s chest, dark energy leaking out into the Hood’s eyes and mouth. “Know this Avengers, the union you witnessed today spells your end. Solstice is coming and we will be there to welcome it. Today marks the moment when Earth became ours.” The Hood added as he faded into the surrounding shadow, his words echoing around the cemetery leaving the Avengers behind in a field of unconscious villains.

“Black Widow, Natasha.” Steve gasped as the Avengers gathered along the pit edge to look down at Stingray and Constrictor standing either side of the pile of ashes.

No Caption Provided

“She will be remembered.” Tony stated as he turned away from the group. “Whoever or whatever Solstice is it will pay for what it’s done here today.”

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Woah... Black Widow's dead?! ...didn't see that coming. Great job!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@tommythehitman: He he he. But then who is the Widow in the future? It's why nobody expected her death because they are alive elsewhere

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: I thought it might. Have you checked out Hawker 3 yet. Nothing brain explody in there. :-)

No Caption Provided

I'm evil and I know it.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TommytheHitman
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Oh god do I really want to know? Wait yes I do. PM me with your evil scheme

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@impurestcheese

Nooooooooo! Enn Oh Oh Oh Oh!!!!! You kill Black Widow??? Shock o shocks. Never, ever, ever saw that coming.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@wildvine: Glad your shocked. Everyone seems to have overlooked that the same Black Widow is alive in the future. Comment on this as you will.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10 wildvine  Moderator

@impurestcheese

I have not overlooked that at all. Just wasn't expecting this. Not the first resurrection in Mayhem though.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@wildvine: Already used the Techno Voodoo on Strikeback. Don't worry answers will come eventually...

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

@wildvine: Nice chapter. Did not see that death coming. And sorry for very late comment.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese
Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

@impurestcheese: Hmmm...Black Widow is dead. A rather dramatic death too. My dear Imp though, since she's alive in the future, aren't you breaking your own rules set forth in "Marvel Mayhem - Legion of the Unliving"?

Other than that, I really enjoyed this series. Hate knowing it's not going to continue anytime soon.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers