#1 Edited by johnny_blaze (585 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been something i've been wanting to do for months now since I joined this site. I want to write a fanfic and post it. I know that DC has published a miniseries based on the video game inFamous and I thought it would be cool if Cole Macgrath and his universe were part of DCU continuity. So I want to write a fanfic based on that. Anyone have any tips on how I should do this?

#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17894 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who has read fan fiction for almost 10 years and use to write it (though I no longer have the motivation or time to do so), my best advice is to just start writing.

You all ready have your idea. Sit down with some good music, a beverage of choice and go to town. Don't worry about outlines or anything to start off. Just write.

For me, I was never an outline person. I couldn't ever plan out how I wanted my stories to end up. I just had to start writing them, get down the story I wanted to tell and then go back 500 times to start fixing all the stuff I screwed up =P.

There are a lot of things that go into a good story, but until you have the story written down, you have no where to start.

I'd recommend a good proof-reader or two as well. I was always horrible at proofing my own works.

Not saying my way is the only way, but this is what worked for me when I was writing. Planning, outlining, etc didn't work. I just wrote =P.

#3 Posted by johnny_blaze (585 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Yeah I'm more of an improviser too when it comes to writing. Thanks for the advice.

#4 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8074 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnny_blaze

: plot out your rough idea and slowly start blocking in what you want to happen in in it. For example say your idea is to have Loki find a scroll about a gem of nigh-infinite power from a time before the gods, or something. Thor goes to stop him before he finds it. That'll be your rough idea. Now you plot out each act (I think that's what they call it) Thor goes to Asgard to find that all the other gods have been de-powered by Loki and he's the only one that can stand up to him. Loki sets a trap to slow him down and give himself time to finish finding the gem, Thor escapes the the trap but not in time to stop Loki from finding the gem.Thor finds some way to stop him and the story ends happily ever after. Once you have this down you'll start filling in the gaps and adding sub-plots.

Anyway, there's defiantly people out there that could explain way better then I did. That was just a really loose example.

And don't get discouraged if your idea doesn't work at first. you may end up scrapping the whole thing and doing something different, because that will happen and when it does don't worry. It's all part of learning.

EDIT: Actually, you might want to put this in the fan-fic board. There's allot of good writers there.

#5 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17894 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnny_blaze said:

@fallschirmjager: Yeah I'm more of an improviser too when it comes to writing. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, if it works, don't fix it =). Best of luck! Hope you are able to write your story.

#6 Edited by johnny_blaze (585 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by XImpossibruX (5180 posts) - - Show Bio

Write the characters IN CHARACTER! Unless it's some crazy AU, WRITE THE F*CKING CHARACTERS HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE.

Sorry, but nothing is more of a story runnier then out of character, characters. Unless specifically stated, characters should never be OOC.

#8 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8074 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8074 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by johnny_blaze (585 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by batkevin74 (10873 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by cbishop (8340 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnny_blaze: Probably one of the hardest things to do is just relax. It's not going to be perfect the first time out, so get the words out, and edit afterwards. And know and accept that if you're doing it all yourself, you're not going to catch some mistakes until after it's posted. Fortunately, we have edit buttons here. :)