Hold Your Breath as the Blackbird Flies

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

The assignment: Write about a celebrity becoming a super-hero. Here's my entry. Shouldn't need too much explanation really, but I do need to say that: all songs used in the fan-fiction are the property of My Chemical Romance (they might be either directly quoted or paraphrased), except for an excerpt from 'Saint Veronika' which is owned by Billy Talent. I do not own the rights to any of the songs. The Umbrella Academy is ALSO not mine. Now then, please enjoy, Hold Your Breath as the Blackbird Flies!  

Edit: This Fan-Fic is the winner of Sha's FanFic Challenge (#1) 

No Caption Provided

CNN News Broadcast

….And that's the situation overseas. In other news, Gerard Way, lead singer for the band My Chemical Romance, and biographer for superhero team the Umbrella Academy was shot three times by one Norman Jones. Jones blamed his daughter's recent suicide on My Chemical Romance's music, and decided to take revenge. Shortly after his capture, Jones hung himself. His wife told the press that he had beat both her, and his daughter, and was oblivious to his daughter's growing despair.  

The shooting took place during a concert. Way was rushed to the hospital. He is in critical condition, and doctors are not optimistic. Way took two shots to the chest, and one to the neck. Gerard's brother, Mikey Way, was unavailable for comment... 

The End…?

A heart monitor beeped wildly, erratic lines skittering across the black monitor. There was blood on the floor, shimmering red-black droplets that went unheeded in the shadow of death. It hovered around everything like a mist, nearly tangible. There was no question for whom the bell tolled. It tolled for Gerard Way, lying unconscious on the operating table in the intensive care unit. He was clinging to life, but barely. Twice his heart had stopped, the redline beeping sickeningly. Once the defibrillator worked…once it didn't. It took a concentrated shot of adrenaline to keep the wounded heart limping along. Not that it had much to pump. The bullet to the neck had scraped the jugular, bright arterial blood had poured from the wound. Now the artery was held closed with angry-looking stitches. The remaining two bullets had been removed from where they had lodged in the ribcage, blood was being infused and oxygen was being pumped. The doctors had done all they could. At this point Gerard Way had to find the strength to save himself. 

He was drifting in and out of consciousness, spectral figures flitting through his mind. He remembered a gun. Leveled at him during the latest tour. Ironically, Gerard had been singing 'Bulletproof Heart' when he was shot. Well, he obviously wasn't that bulletproof. He almost smiled at the thought, but he couldn't control his body. That didn't seem like a good sign…'And the damage done was irreversible/now he clings to life inside a hospital/like he's trapped inside a frozen waterfall…' The snippet of song played through Gerard's mind a few times. Things were worse than he thought…that wasn't even one of his songs! Something began to move in Gerard's field of vision. It was not in the hospital room, Gerard knew that this was only for him. He heard drums...footsteps.  

And now he was standing in an empty street. The pain was gone, though his wounds were still prominent, ugly. Gerard looked down the barren street, watching as the Black Parade drew near. His only regret was that he would never see his daughter grow up. But he knew it was time to go. He stepped into the street, watched the procession near. It drew to a stop before him. Gerard's grandmother, Helena, knelt down so her head was on level with his. She smiled wanly, and then whispered in his ear…  

Back to Life

Gerard's eyes snapped open, and he sat up. He was still in the hospital bed, tubes trailing from his arms, a red clip pulsing with red light on his finger. He couldn't remember his grandmother's words, but he knew that he had been given a second chance. Gerard tore the medical devices off of himself, stood up. As the heart monitor ceased (no longer attached to anything), doctors came running. Instead of the still corpse they had been expecting, they found a fully healed Gerard Way. There were tests of course, but no one could find anything wrong with the man who had been at the brink of death mere minutes before. So Gerard was discharged. 

He stepped into the cool night, inhaled deeply. The stars were all out. It was the kind of night where it seemed that if you only tried really hard you could fly into the sky. 'There might be something outside your window…but you just…never know/there might be something right past the turnpike gates, but you just…never know…' He was euphoric, life had never been sweeter. 'If my velocity starts to make you sweat then don't…let go' He was rising towards the stars, imagined he could see all the lights below him. And then his feet lifted off the ground, and he really WAS flying towards the stars, the city stretched out below him. In his surprise he lost the thread of the song, and crashed to the ground.  

Back at the hospital (nothing major…just a few bruises, a fractured rib), the meta-human specializing doctors explained their theories on Gerard's newfound powers. They thought that the trace amounts of volatile drugs left in Gerard's system had had a reaction with trace amounts of chemicals on the bullets, giving him powers. If he had been clean and sober for any less time, he would have died. Gerard hid a smile. He knew that his powers were a gift from beyond the grave. But let the doctors think what they wanted, it was no matter to him.  

Trust me, I'm Okay

Gerard did not immediately try his powers again. He wanted to see his family again, they were sure to be worried. As he got out of the cab the hospital had called for him, LynZ ran out the front door, and embraced him weeping. Mikey, holding Gerard's daughter Bandit, stood back a little awkwardly. Gerard was home.  

Inside, drinking cups of coffee, Gerard discussed his future. "I've been given these powers for a reason. I can't just sit by and watch when I know I can make a difference. I'm going into super-heroing." He had thought hard about it, there was no doubt in his mind. There would be no need to quit the band, the touring would actually be a good way for Gerard to help different parts of the globe. LynZ and Bandit already had bodyguards, they wouldn't be in too much danger. Same for Mikey and the rest of the band. LynZ was naturally not happy about this, she had already almost lost Gerard once. But Gerard's mind was made up, and he wasn't going to stand down. LynZ knew this, and knew that the best thing she could do would be to support him in his decision. She also knew that Gerard had always wanted a chance like that. It was what added the spark to his biography of the Umbrella Academy.

Interlude

A brief note as to the nature of Gerard Way's newfound powers: what he could do depended on his emotional state. If he was feeling really pumped, he might get super-strength. Happiness led to flight. Subtle differentiations in his mood would alter the powerset. A stronger emotion would lead to a higher degree of power. Since Gerard had always channeled his feelings through songs, the best way for him to control his powers was to think or hum a song.  

Everybody Wants to Change the World

It was a month later. Gerard had been covertly practicing, learning how to use his powers, and was finally ready to reveal his super-hero self to the world. Now, he stood on the stage, his latest performance with My Chemical Romance having just concluded. The audience (even larger than usual after Gerard's near-death) still stood, staring up at him. They had heard that Gerard had an announcement to make. And now it was time. Gerard took a deep breath, leaned close to the mike. "Hello ladies and gentlemen…thank you all for coming today. Now, we all know that the world is in trouble…and we don't have enough heroes. Well, I'm going to change that. I will be taking up crime fighting as…the Blackbird!" He took off his jacket, put on the mask he had taken on stage with him. He spread his arms, the rest of the band began to play S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W. Gerard began to hover, his feet a few off the ground. "Hold your breath as a blackbird flies…count to 17 and close your eyes. And you'll be safe tonight." The crowd cheered. They would stand by their hero through thick and thin. 

Keep Running!

It was his first real night on the job. Gerard was flying through the air, looking down at the lights. There! A shout, from a little-travelled side street. Gerard landed, ran towards the two shadowy figures cornering a third, cowering shadow. Gerard began running through Bulletproof Heart in his head…he didn't want to get shot again. 'I've got a bulletproof heart…you've got a hollowpoint smile…' He tackled one of the thugs. The other turned his gun on Gerard, who focused more intently on the music. He slammed his foot into the downed thugs face, as the shots bounced off his back. Then a clicking as he ran out of ammo. Gerard switched his mental soundtrack. 'Everybody pay attention to ME I've got the answer…I've got the ANswer' He yelled, and the shockwave knocked the thug on his back. Gerard ran over to him, began to slam his fists into his face. Then he stood back, breathing hard. He had stopped his first crime. The intended victim had already run away. Gerard smiled, knowing that the story of the Blackbird was going to spread fast. 

A voice sounded from behind him. "Nice work kid. You've got a good right hook." Gerard spun around…standing there, arms crossed across his chest, was the Kraken. 

Someone'll Bleed

Gerard stared at Kraken, his mouth hanging open. Here was one of his heroes, in the flesh. He hoped Kraken liked the biography Gerard had written. "Th-thanks." he managed to say, still looking at the hero. The Umbrella Academy were really the only true supers around. If there was a crisis, they would be there. "C'mon, you can go on patrol with me." This was really a dream come true. Gerard Way, the rookie hero Blackbird, had just been invited to go on patrol with the Kraken! He followed the veteran hero, heart racing. Kraken really just wanted to be able to analyze the new hero, make sure he wouldn't be a problem. But Gerard certainly didn't know that. 

Riot downtown, trying to stop more monuments from being built. The argument was that they always became evil and went on the rampage. Kraken gestured for Gerard to attack from the right flank, try to get the people from hurting each other and the police who were standing by, unsure of what to do. Kraken immediately sprang into action, knocking down the more unruly rioters. Gerard wondered what the best way to go about this would be, but the song in his head cut deliberation short. 'The riot squads are restless…they need somewhere to go…' He felt time slow, or maybe he just grew faster. This was great! He began to run between the people, creating an invisible barrier. He snatched weapons out of the hands of armed citizens, moved a man who was at risk of being trampled by the crowd. Within moments, everything was orderly again…what was the point of rebelling if you couldn't get your point across through violence? 

Kraken was actually impressed with this rookie. Gerard was a little more concerned with the fact that if he was going to use super-speed, he really had to find shoes that wouldn't wear out within a few minutes. Kraken decided that the rest of the Academy might be interested in this new hero. "Kid, come with me. It's time to meet a few people." Kraken walked into the lobby of the nearest hotel, and into the elevator. He took out a small device, and pressed a button. This would convert the elevator into an infamous televator. 

The televator stopped in the main foyer of the Umbrella Academy mansion (or what remained of it anyway). Kraken darted off into a different room, leaving Gerard standing awkwardly in front of the televator. He felt nauseated. How could they use that horrible device to travel? It was like a roller coaster, rocking boat, and plane mixed into one, at least where sickness was concerned. He let the floor stop spinning, and when he looked up, the Umbrella Academy was assembled in front of him. Kraken took the liberty of introdcuing Gerard. "This is Blackbird…he helped out on patrol today." How did Kraken know his codename? Gerard didn't recall saying anything. Then again, he WAS all over the papers. Séance, gaunt and pale, smirked. "Well, I guess you won't be bothering us about it now that you've got a sidekick. I have better things to do than beat up petty crooks. Remember…who always saves the world? That would be me." Kraken just scowled at Séance. Gerard knew from his writing that Séance was always like this. Though he'd always pull through in a crisis. The White Violin smiled at Gerard (she would have waved, but she was paralyzed from the neck down), though the surly Rumor remained silent…she knew the value of words. The eternally youthful 00.05 didn't spare Gerard a second glance, and went back into one of the other rooms. Gerard felt honored that he had left the room in the first place. 00.05 was not one for politeness. Spaceboy examined Gerard closely for a bit. He eventually made up his mind, and extended a huge hand for Gerard to shake. "Always nice to have an ally in these troubled times. Have fun saving the world.

Gerard smiled. He knew he would.
-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By -Eclipse-

THIS WAS AWESOME! :D 

Nice job!

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TypingKira

Awesome! I love it, perfect amount of drama and excitement. It's a little bit long, have you considered breaking it up into different posts? That's my only problem. 

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@TypingKira: Only problem with that is that it's a submission for a contest. So I can't really break it up, (though trust me, I know it's long…) And thanks! 

@-Eclipse-: Thanks. ^_^
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TypingKira

I really think you should continue this idea--this is great stuff and you're talented. 

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@TypingKira: Wow, thanks. 
I might just do that (in somewhat smaller installments), I did have a lot of fun writing it.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TypingKira

Do you think you could take a look at my Balder Fanfic? I'd really like some input on that. Seriously, if you're having fun with a piece of writing, keep it going! 

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@TypingKira: Yeah, sure! 

And yes, that's a good policy.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TypingKira
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@TypingKira: Thanks.
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Project_Worm
@Icarusflies:  
this is really good man
Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator
@Project_Worm: Thank you!
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By _Sojourn_

I love this idea...Oh, Gnarls Barkley or the Noisettes??? which do I choose 

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Decept-O

Nice structure to the story.  Have to admit I am way way out of the loop regarding the musicians mentioned here but a nice job nonetheless.   Good job, very imaginative!
RoyalDivinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By RoyalDivinity

Greaat story! nice structure and drama ^^