Guardian Chapter 2

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Time_Phantom

AN/ Well some people seemed to like Guardian when I posted chapter 1. Thanks for the reviews. Anyways the story is T+ and seeing as this is an original story all characters belong to me. (I don't get to say that often) So after your done leave me a review if you wish, tell me what your thinking, what am I doing right/ wrong.Enloy!

Chapter 1 if you didn't read it: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/guardianorginal-story-t/649800/#1

In this world of supermen we live in we could feed the impoverished masses, cure the sick and take advantage of the opportunities life provides. We often don't. Instead bigotry, intolerance and self-preservation are the norm. The few makes rules to dictate the few and greed, corruption and fear is imbedded into our beings from the beginning.

An example of this would be how the rest of humanity treats the powered members of humanity. In the U.S. and other similarly "developed" nations they're hated, feared, taken advantage of and kept from maintaining the basics of living. Blood tests on teens right out of high school is common. With the advent of gene scans, genetic anomalies are found quickly. Powered humans are usually unable to find work as most employers refuse to hire them out right. The United Nations classifies the use of powered humans in the military or an active war zone, a war crime. Unable to find work most register to live in government sponsored housing, where the conditions are sub-par and the only real benefits are three meals a day, and the free schooling powered children receive. There are cases of families slipping through the cracks and eluding dicovery, however. The reality is that there is no hope for advancement for these people if things don't change.

Michael Void is an exception. While he is a powered human and every day an invention of his is used to oppress his kind. The only reason he can slip under the radar is because his inventions are deemed too important for global security. The "domesticated mutant" that the United Nations uses as an example to give those like him a sense of false hope. But in my experience you can only kick someone so many times before they get up and hit back. This is what Void spends his time doing now. Giving weapons to roving bands of would be revolutionaries and at the same time giving speeches on reform to those ignorant of his extracurricular activities. Void seeks to embolden and incite a race war.

He doesn't see me walk in. He looks around his office in disgust. We were very interested in his ideas at first. Until Guardian got in contact with him no one would take him seriously, due to him being a powered human. He was living in the streets when we found him, we brought him in and he worked with us for years. We put him in his own company and with our funding he took off. When he left the organization he took all the knowledge he gained from us. Normally this is grounds for execution. But I'm not the one in charge so there is no reason for me to go off the reservation.

He looks up, seeming to not care. "Hello Griffan. Please sit down." I don't. I walk to the book shelf and lean against the wall next to it. His eyes never avoiding eye contact. I never liked meeting this scum in person. Always hiding his true intentions behind a smile, only telling half-truths and mostly lies.

"Nice to see you Void. Still wearing those fancy four thousand dollar suits?"

"This is a business Griffan, one must be a businessman to survive."

"Like you survive on the greed of the civilian military complex, the corruption of the American election system and the desperation of your people?"

A smile widens across his face. The gun I have hidden under my shirt shoots from behind me.

"We live in a world full of supermen Mr. Spade." He looked the gun over. Examining it carefully. The pistol begins to float in the air. It then slowly starts to disassemble. He begins studying the inner components. "Besides its this or being a prisoner on Farixen Island."

He is of course referring to the largest collection of powered humans on the planet. (Dubbed mutania by the media) Farixen Island in the south pacific. Home to sixteen million of the worlds powered humans; a NATO blockade keeps the unwanted and often militant powered in. It often keeps prying eyes out as the press does not have access to much of the island except for the few media zones. It is essentially a prison state for powered humans.

"I see the mass accelerator design is still in use. It's hard to believe a slug from this piece of work lightened by an electromagnetic field can create unimaginable velocities that gun powder weapons can't ever achieve."

Of course he'd know. He improved the design. "Guardian standard issue design on all field weaponry."

The gun reassembled and floated back to me." I wouldn't want you to lose that."

"Now Spade tell me why you are hear. I'm very busy."

"You wouldn't want your powered militias waiting on their mutagen or stolen intell would you? Or are you legitimate today?"

He broke eye contact. He's getting ready to lie to me. "I simply am evening the playing field for my people. What they do with my aid is their business. "

"That almost sounded like the truth." I'm walking to his desk, his eyes following me. "A Guardian base was attacked, it failed but we want to know why someone would do that. No one knows we exist."

He began rubbing his chin. He knows I'm lying, he could always tell. But knowing him he'll humor me and just play along. "Well I can say if it was me I'd take all that wonderful technology and not leave anyone alive."

I pulled up a chair. "So you would. But who would have a motive for attacking an organization that doesn't exist?" I said sitting down.

He bit his bottom lip, an indignant look stood on his face. "May be someone who is tired of the wolves among them, maybe someone who want to bring the end of the silent manipulation and genocide committed by Guardian every day."

I've heard this monologue before. I lose interest in it every time. It never changes. "Whatever do you mean?"

"Guardian is in every level of every country, every level of government!" He continues. "It doesn't stop there either. Forcing children away from their families and into super human death camps to make super soldiers! Experimenting on powered children to maximize their abilities in a procedure that either turns out powerful tools for Guardian or kills them."

I'd like to say he was exaggerating. But he's right. We pull people away from families, we do experiment on children and our training is made to turn us into soldiers or kill us. We're funded by every country, every corporation... they just don't know it. For Guardian it doesn't matter how we get to an advantage or who we manipulate, as long as we get there is the point.

"You're forgetting that we do offer a choice to them." I'm sure he realizes I mean all but the `powered` children. And he's right.

"I think that someone intends to knock off the old guard. I wonder what will happen to the world once Guardian can no longer guide them from the shadows."

Exactly what I want to her. "What are you planning Void?"

A sinister grin starts to form in the corners of his mouth. "It's a new century Mr. Spade. Change is among us."

"If you aren't careful it will swallow you whole. Will you be ready Spade?"

Section 243, Chicago base

Twenty minutes earlier:

Hyden just arrived to Chicago at the order of the Head director. The cramped transports door opened. A small wild haired woman stood waiting for her. She was slightly younger in appearance to Hyden, she had a long streak of grey hair in the shape of a bolt of lightning. Thick bold rimmed glasses stood at the edge of her nose. She wore a lab coat, stained by chemicals and she smelled oddly of pizza. "Well I'm glad you decided to show up." She had a thick eastern European accent, Hyden couldn't figure out where from. She signaled Hyden to follow her.

"If you're here to follow Spade then you're out of luck. He left an hour ago." The venom in her voice was clear. "I can't stand that man!"

"You and me both." Hyden added in agreement. "Do you have a name?"

"Eliza Langley, I have level 7 clearances and that's enough for you." They walked out of the hanger. Chicago base was located ten thousand miles under the city. It wasn't very big as far as most bases went. Housing the aircraft. The mess hall, the lab and the emergency med bay took less space, but the barracks housing the five hundred Guardian agents and the "rec-house" took up the rest. A base like the one in Chicago is mostly used for maintaining a presence in a certain area. In emergency situations they are first responders. They are always run by a Level 7 that is subject to the orders of the Level 8 of the installation that watches over the continent.

Unlike the docking hanger that had a cave like appearance, the rest of the base had metal hallways, florescent lights brightened the halls, and a person's reflection could be seen on the ground. Hyden looked through each window as she walked down the hallway, these rooms were made of glass, and agents worked on a variety of research and development assignments in the labs. They walked into one of these rooms. "Welcome to the lab." Eliza greeted. The lab looked like a factory for the most part. Parts were scattered all over the lab. Test tubes and beakers filled with chemicals and strangely organic looking creatures littered the research stations in the room. Hyden walked a little closer to one of the creatures. It moved violently inside the beaker. It looked like a muscle with legs sprouting out of it.

"I wouldn't get close to that."

Hyden didn't heed the warning. She got closer to the creature. It stopped suddenly, its beady eyes looking at the agent. "It's kinda cute in that extremely ugly sort of way." Hyden looked over to the scientist. She was putting something into her ears. Hyden ignored it and looked back at the creature. The glass shattered and a howling screech vibrated the room. Hyden fell to the floor. Holding her head, feeling like the noise would shatter her skull.

She looked over to Eliza. She reached into her pocket and tossed a small vial on the table. The table burst into flames, killing the creature and everything else on the table. "Well that was unfortunate. I'm now three months behind." She walked to Hyden, helping her to her feet.

"What was that?" She gasped.

Eliza shrugged. "I don't have a name for it yet. But when it's mature it secretes a compound that heals any injury." She adjusted her glasses with a knowing look. " Except death, that's still permanent."

Walking to her desk Hyden noticed a mountain of pizza boxes towering over the both of them. Eliza picked up a box, searching for it's delicious contents. She shook her head disappointed. "Damn looks like I have to order again!"

"Seriously?"

"I go through three boxes a day and I'm never full. It's a curse!" The Guardian scientist groaned.

Hyden couldn't believe she was in charge of a base. "Why pizza?"

"The combination of cheese meat and vegetables is not only amazing, it's brain food!"

"Brain food?"

"Oh." Eliza looked like she forgot to mention something. "My brain consumes double the amount of protein a normal one does. So I in return for unparalleled intelligence I have to eat constantly!"

"And you pick a heart attack in a box?" Hyden asked. Eliza cheerfully nodded.

Eliza pointed to a locker on the far side of the lab. "Now could you pick up your armor and get out of my laboratory before you break something else?"

The scientist reaches into her lab coats pocket and pulled out a slip of paper. "Griffan will most likely be at this address."

Hyden took the paper. "Wouldn't it be better if I went in plan cloths then?"

"Our agents in Void's building told me Griffan is going to be followed out."

Hyden looked confused, a bit of a frown formed on her face. "Warn him then!" The tone in her voice was commanding. But Eliza wasn't moved a bit by her authority.

"If I know Spade, he already knows."

Chicago:

I love this city. It lacks that blatant snobbery of the east coast or that since of superiority the west coast has. Just the sounds and settings of people who live here. It could be as bad as that city up lake Michigan. Most of all I love Chicago food, in Guardian all you get is a protein supplement that has no taste and fills you up for a week.

Whenever I come here there's a little diner by Millennium Park that I like to visit. I have to make a detour today. I'm being followed. The same two suites have been following me since I left Void's building. They even followed me I a circle around the building. They followed me right into this dark leaky alley. The both of them are pale, pasty looking, dark sun glasses covering their eyes. They're both around the same height and build, the only distinguishable difference in the both of them is that the man to the left has a shorter arm than the other.

"You both seem lost. How can I help you?"

The man on the right speaks first. "You make waves where you shouldn't." They staid their distance but I was ready for whatever they could dish out.

"Do I?"

"Mr. Void don't like you too tough!"

"So you two are going to show me the error of my ways?"

"I don't like his mouth!" The short armed man spat.

Conversation is wasted on them. But I'll give them something they can understand. I draw my pistol. The small armed man is down my sight, I squeeze the trigger. Nothing happens. The explosive sound of gun fire being absent in this equation. Void did something to my gun when he examined it. "Damn."

The man to my right charged at me first. He grabbed my gun, crushing it in one hand and lifting me by the throat with the other. I see short armed man in the back ground, he raises his hand. His arm twists and bends into a white blade like object. I struggle to break the grip of the man in front of me. His hand tightening on my throat, breathing is getting harder now.

The short armed man's body jerks back, his sleeve falling limp. I kick back with my legs as hard as I can. His unyielding grip breaking, dropping me on the ground below. An audible thud could be heard behind me. I stagger to my feet. He charges me again, the short armed man followed. I dodged to the left, they move passed me. I look at the wall behind me. The bladed object is lodged in the brick.

The shorthanded man raised the other arm. It twists into a blade as he rushes me. The other man was right next to me. He landed a left hook that sent me sailing through the air and into the brick wall across the alley. My jaw tightens. I can't talk. I'm leaning against the wall struggling to stay on my feet. The short armed man walks closer to me.

"You ain't so tough now huh!" He raised his bladed arm. "You Guardians ain't..."

"You talk too much." I painfully manage to say. Three shots go through his chest and he finally hits the floor. You always carry a second side arm. Fortunately he was paying attention to my seeming helplessness to notice. But I haven't won yet. The other one grabs me and with one arm tosses me into the side of a parked car across the street. I black out for a moment. I feel something wet, but strangely warm on the back of my head. I pull back a blood covered hand when I examine the strange anomaly.

A crowd had gathered by now. Looking on in a mix of terror and sadistic excitement at my brawl. Most have their phones out, documenting what could be my final moments. Someone is even brave enough to walk up to me ask if I was okay. Someone was calling an ambulance for me, I wasn't sure. Everything was starting to blur, my vision was fading in and out. Obviously Void intended me to be killed. But not in front of a crowd. The pale man was gone. Taking better advantage of the chaos of our fight to escape.

I try to get to my feet. My body betrays me and my knees buckle instead. The crowd stood in a circle around me. The whispered to each other, some frantically screaming into their phones for assistance on my behalf. You can easily pick out the animals from the human beings I'm sworn to protect from this assortment. My eye lids grow heavy. Keeping them open was turning into a bit of a labor. Everything goes black. I don't feel the pain in my head. Only a small tingle in the back of my skull registers now. I can no longer hear the crowd. It's finally quiet.