Two months ago, I interviewed the fan fic writer known as Joygirl just as CapFanboy interviewed BATKEVIN74, X35, PRIMEPOWER53, THE POET, and RAVAGER4. My second user I was going to interview was, to be honest, up in the air because of some craziness However, I turned out interviewing a neutrally aligned Fan Fic’r who joined the ranks of CV on January 4th, 2011 and who also interviewed Joshmightbe back in October. This individual was also interviewed by the likes of Nighthunter and Col (none of which were ever posted), so I decided to take a stab at interviewing this individual. Now, if you are still reading after that long introduction, I present my equally long interview with Project_Worm!
Let's jump on into this...How did you first find Comic Vine and what got you interested in it?
Like many, I suffer from severe bordom which often times culminated in me imagining a bunch of battles that had never actually happened. Any time that I decided to get online to get the opinions of other people, I would always end up here on The Vine. So yeah after a while of "creeping" on the battle boards I finally gave in and made myself an account, been here ever since.
When did you start participating in the Fan-Fic section?
Just over a year and half ago (whoa... hadn't realized It had been that long), someone had put up a contest where we where to turn a "celebrity" into a superhero, I had been wanting to start writing on here for a while so I entered. After that contest the Fan-Fic board became my home..
And do you remember what your first story was? and how do you think you have changed/evolved as a writer since then? In other words: do you think the Fan-Fiction section has changed how you write?
I definitely think the fan-fic board has changed my writing alot. My old stuff was (to be generous) garbage. Now, I can't honestly say that everything I put out now is "artfully crafted" (though I do like to think that I have my moments), but my writing has definitely improved exponentially.
When you were starting out, what was the most helpful advice you got and who was it from? and adding onto that, do you have an advice for users?
Hmm... I'm not sure about the best advice, One that I have given many times since it was told to me is the whole putting dialogue on separate lines. I can't remember who told me that though... Anyways yeah that's the advice I would give, Just makes a story way easier to read.
What would you say is your favorite character and why?
That's a nearly impossible question to answer. I simply cannot choose jus one. I can say that I'm a huge fan of Bats. Who just so happens to alternate with Deadpool in my number one spot. So, yeah Batman and Deadpool are both my favorite character, for distinctly different reasons of course.
As for why:
- I believe appearance is the most important thing for a super hero and, Bats has that down like no other. His costume send waves of fear down the spines of Gotham's criminals. One look at the cowl of Bats and intimidation sets in, which is a HUGE advantage (Not that he needs it of course but yeah).
- Batman is human, he didn't get bit by a super bat or fall into a nuclear waste filled cave. He is just an ordinary man who chose to do extraordinary things.
- Bats also has some really well thought out villains they may not be the coolest but they compliment him almost perfectly, Mr. Freeze is driven the death of his wife while Batman is driven by the death of his parents. Two Face and his spilt personalities contrast well with Batman’s alter-egos. The Riddler’s evil genius challenges Batman and his superior intellect.
- I wouldn't really want to be a geeky Peter Parker or Daily Bugle employee Clark Kent, but being a billionaire play-boy, now that's pretty cool. So yeah reason number two is having a real kick alter-ego.
- As I said before looks are super important and Deadpool has the looks down (well with the costume on I mean). Red and black how can you possibly go wrong. Deadpool's costume is easily my favorite because it simply looks so bad a$$.
- Deadpool is always packing like two AWESOME katanas, two pistols, and not to mention a personal teleporter that always kicks in to get him out of any sticky situations he will inevitably get himself into. Although possibly his best weapon is his mouth witch he uses to anger his opponents and make them stop thinking to clearly (like Spider-Man banter but worse).
- Deadpool's powers are awesome, he has a healing factor better than Wolverine's. It doesn't matter if you shoot him, shred him, behead him (my favorite) or even tear him in apart you can rest assured he IS coming back.
- Deadpool is crazy.. umm, I cant actually describe to you just how messed up Deadpool is. But I can say that I you took Spongebob added in the Charlie the Unicorn internet vid and laced it with acid and gave it to a hobo, you might come pretty close..
Have you ever played with doing a fan fic with both of those characters?
Like a crossover? Nah, I don't feel like that would work to well. I have however done a Batman story before (just so happens to be one of my more well received), The only reason I have yet to write a Deadpool fic is because I don't feel like I could do wade justice... Of course that is how I felt about Batman before I dove in... Maybe one day
well, this will be an interesting interview if we ever finish it :P
Do you have a favorite story among the stuff you have written?
That would probably have to go to my Earth In Chains story. Mostly 'cause it's just a compiling of all the OC's I had absolutely no plan for... So I just shoved them all into a single place.
What are you writing now?
At the moment I have gone back to revisit One of my first original characters, I feel like the first time around I didn't do him justice so I decided to give it another chance. Between that and writing a "legitimate" novel I've been able to keep myself pretty busy.
Now for a question you’ve said you liked: Why should someone visit the Fan-Fic section? Why should we care about this section?
I think people here on the Vine should get involved simply because if you like comics, how could you not like the idea of seeing your favorite character in a an original story without limits. Stories that would never happen in comics are completely valid on the fan-fic board. Have an idea where the Red Hood faces off against the Red Hulk? Awesome! Hop on the Vine and make it happen!
Why the name “Project_Worm?”
Hurm... I don't know, I've been using it online for a few years now. I just needed to come up with a name that was original but not ridiculous and hard to remember. Something I could use everywhere. I honestly don't remember how or why I settled on those two words specifically. I mean, I hate worms. It could have been anything Project_Slug or Project_Roach. I don't know, I guess it just fit and I stuck with it. More than likely if I am a member of an online community that's the name I'm using.
What would you say the meaning of life is?
Whoa, that's deep. And instead of ruining it with my own brand of sarcastic humor. I will attempt to answer seriously... I think the meaning of life changes drastically between people changes drastically between even the shortest periods of time. Now, if I had to make a a general "blanket" statement about the meaning of life. I think life is all about change, we as humans are addicted to the idea of evolution. Although we often fear change, we will never stop. We will never stop because we all want progress and change is the simplest visual representation of "progress". I think that is why we feel the need to build. Because it is in our nature, as human to wan't to create something where before there was nothing. To change the terrain, to change the landscape. Why? Because we hope that we may live on after we are done living. Change, evolution, progress. That is myhumble interpretation on the fleeting mystery that is life...... *chuckles* Nailed it!!
What is your type favorite of comics?
I am particularly fond of Anti-Hero or team comics that and non-superhero comics. Like graphic novel type stuff.
what would be a random funny trivia about you?
I went through a phase when I was about five where I wanted to walk backwards permanently. Long story short, I hurt myself pretty bad and the plan was brushed aside... That and... I'm sorta scared of cockroaches, I mean I know they can't do anything to me and it would be insanely easy to crush them, but I prefer to keep my distance. They just give me the heebie-jeebies I guess.
And now finally the most important question of this entire interview (can you stand the suspense?): can Project_Worm do the worm?
... O_o The worm? What do you mean? Like the dance? The one that if done improperly will look like you're having an intense ground humping session? C'mon, do you even have to ask? I didn't call myself Project_WORM for nothing (Yes I did...). In short, Yeah. I can do the HELL outta The worm.
(*chuckles*) well, I think that raps it up! Thank you very much for a wonderful (if a little long) interview!
Oh, no problem! Thank YOU. The pleasure was... evenly distributed between us both... >_>